Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchillyChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

on 11/7/2016 11:20:00 PM

Glad I finally decided to buy this color! Not sure what took me so long. I tested a bunch of gray/grayish Essie polishes at Walgreens last night and ended up not buying any of them bc I couldn't decide. I had a different color on each finger and when I looked at the colors with fresh eyes this morning, chichilly was by far my favorite. I just used it on my fingers and toes and can't stop staring at it. Loooove this color!

on 11/22/2015 7:07:00 AM

I love Chinchilly! It is a beautiful cool toned greige, more grey than your standard taupe colour. It applies evenly and easily, opaque in two coats and has excellent staying power. It dries quickly and is very chip resistant, like most of my other Essie polishes. This is a very chic colour which is ideal in Autumn but can be worn all year round with the right outfit. It is a classy colour which I also think would be work appropriate. A lovely colour and a great formula, what more do you want?! This is a cult shade and I can definitely see why, and I would recommend that others try it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Chinchilly is a beautiful medium purple-toned greige shade on me. Unfortunately, I can't give this shade a 5 because the formula isn't up to par with my expectation of Essie polishes. The one real flaw? Sheer and streaky. It takes 3 fuller coverage coats to even it out, and I don't really care for that. I'm looking for 2 coats and done. However, that said, I adore the color at 3 coats, and beyond that, it performs like a typical Essie polish. I use Orly Bonder and Out the Door topcoat, and I can get 4-5 days before it chips which is amazing since I'm a mom and constantly washing my hands.

on 5/2/2015 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is one of my favourites, and go-to polishes, from my stash of 225-250 regular polishes. When I am being indecisive about what to put on and am stuck on having too many choices, I pull out the Chinchilly! I am very pale (but with warmer undertones) and so many gray/grieges can look a little dead on me, but this has a beautiful lavender tint to it that keeps it warm and lovely. I have a few "similar" polish colours but this one is just something special. On my skin it definitely does pull more of the purple, but not so much it actually looks purple rather than gray.

While it does speak more fall/winter, in that it reminds me of cozy sweaters or something, I don't care and wear it year round as I think it is light enough to pull off. It is a great neutral that can take me from work to play. Not sure how to explain it, but it seems like a very classy colour, and makes even this rather casual woman feel more sophisticated (at least when it comes to my hands!) :)

Formula is good. Easy to work with and does not pool unless you overload the brush (the Essie brush of course is a love/hate with people so judge for yourself, I like the control I get with it, but do like wider brushes in general). It goes on a bit streaky but self-levels REALLY well...I always think the last coat looks too streaky and somehow a couple of minutes into drying it looks perfectly even and glossy. I usually do 3 coats to ensure bald spots are covered and get more depth in the colour. I wear it over clear gel/acrgel base & top, with a RNP base coat and RNP top coat, and easily get one week of wear, and it is one of the few polishes I enjoy so much I don't WANT to take it off after 2-3 days!

I would buy again, and again, and again. I am glad it is part of Essie's core line!

Mid-tone pirple-gray creme. Evens out well. Beautiful color for fingers on fair skin (all I can attest to).

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I got a mini version of Chinchilly in a set (alongside a mini Forever Yummy and a full-sized Ballet Slippers) called "Forever Young" on clearance at SDM. As with the other mini, Chinchilly had a perfect brush and a ball bearing inside. 2-3 coats left me with a glossy, even manicure. This grey polish with lavender and taupe notes is perfectly-named, and it makes me want to snuggle up with a blanket and a warm beverage! :) This is the best grey polish I've tried. Would repurchase as a mini or, ideally, as a full-sized polish!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My bottle of Chinchilly has a watery and streaky formula. It also pulls very grey on me and makes my hands look dead. Fortunately I have been able to use it in frankens, so it won't go to waste.

on 10/8/2013 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this color! It is such a muted purple/grey and looks very nice with fair skin.

on 10/8/2013 4:27:00 PM

Love this polish! It is the perfect soft dove-like gray for my cool-toned and very pale skin. I'd call this an edgy neutral given that it doesn't go unnoticed, but is still fairly conservative. I've found this polish also looks great with either SH Glass Slipper or OPI Pirouette My Whistle layered over it.

on 9/19/2013 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this last year and it sat in my untrieds in favor of brighter vivid colors like lime greens, neon pinks, and bright blues. Finally I dug this taupe colored polish out and thought I'd give it a try for fall. This is a pretty taupe-grey leaning shade and reminds me of a pair of khaki slacks. The formula is really thin and this goes on sheer and streaky. It did even out though with a second coat but it took 3 coats to get full opacity and cover any sheer or balded patches. Essie's brush is just a standard thin brush and it is easy to work with and it works especially great for small nail beds like I have. Those big pro brushes are too big and this one is sized just right! The Goldilocks of polish brushes. I love this color now that I have it on. I have been hesitant to wear it since I expected a boring mani and mannequin hands. This is like wearing a pair of khakis though, it just seems to fit and looks good and feels comfortable. I never would have expected I would like taupe polish but I am loving how pretty this creme looks on me. This is very classy and looks elegant and refined. Great for the office and being taupe instead of beige it is far from boring and even a little edgy. I can't believe I let this beauty sit for so long without showing it off. This is perfect for fall so I painted all ten digits!

Popular Polishes