Essie Chinchilly

4.7

on 1/5/2013 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

no me gusta- not for me. IT's too boring.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really had high expectations with this nail polish after reading such great reviews here and elsewhere. Seemed to apply streaky and really showed it up until the third coat. Dried fairly quickly. As far as the color goes...I'm hoping that it grows on me. I'm not in love with it right now. I thought that the 'cement gray' would look good on my short-medium length square nails but for some reason, my usually graceful looking digits are looking rather stumpy after applying this color. Anyways...like I said, I'll see if the color grows on me.
As of right now, I personally would not repurchase this.

I love the color, this is my absolute favorite for the the transition into fall. However, even with a base coat, 3 applications of polish (it is a bit thin and streaky) and a topcoat, it still chipped quickly, I would expect more from a $7+ bottle of polish. I will definitely shop for a dupe and try another brand, hopefully Revlon has a copycat color as over the last 30 years of doing my own nails, Revlon is still my favorite polish for color saturation, wearability, and price point (if on sale). Anyone know of a tried and true dupe?

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

A very pretty soft gray tone. It has really great coverage with one coat, but I use two. It lasts the same as other polishes.

on 11/25/2013 1:32:00 AM

very pretty color, but not the best formula. two coats still look patchy and needed the third. doesn't make my hands look dead. worth the effort. Essie got the shade just right

on 1/23/2013 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a jelly-creme polish that dries to a gray with a touch of lavender. I feel like the sheerness of the polish really adds a feminine touch to a color that would otherwise be very industrial. I love that you can wear this color from fall through spring, since there is a little touch of purple in there.

Formula is thin and translucent, I used 3 thin coats plus a top coat for extra shine. Love it!

on 12/27/2012 9:49:00 PM

This is a really prety grey nail polish I came across this at my local Rite-Aid and I figured since a lot of my outfits include a grey element I thought this would be perfect and turns out it was. :)
I would reccomend this to everyone.

Only complaint I had with this is that you have to apply many coats to achieve the complete color.

on 9/29/2012 7:55:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I can see why this Essie product is "award-winning". It's a beautiful gray, with purple undertones, that literally applies like butter. It's also opaque in 2 coats. I'm not sure about lasting power, since I only had this polish on for 2 days, but at least it didn't chip in those two days haha. The only negative thing I have to say about this polish is that it brought out all the redness on my yellow-toned Asian skin, which is why I would NOT buy this product again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

On my naturally tan, olive-yellow Asian skin, this color looks fairly decent. In the bottle, compared to other grey/taupes, I thought it was a medium to light grey; but ON, it looks more like a medium to dark grey. On my skin, I don't see as much purple in it as I do in SH Greige Gardens; or as much taupey-brown as WnW Wet Cement; nor is it as light as Professional 10 (?) Moonlight---though more similar in tone to the latter. It's a lovely neutral that's office appropriate, but still edgy IMHO. The problem I have with this one is that my two bottles are both very runny. I used 2 coats, which isn't that bad compared to a few other nail polishes. If you're looking for a dupe, I believe the new L'Oreal np (called Eiffel For You), is pretty darn close...though I haven't actually done a side-by-side comparison.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love grey earthy shades of polish and 'Chinchilly' is a good example of that. This is a cool toned medium grey with a slight hint of taupe. It's very chic and would flatter many skintones. The formula is a little thicker than usual. I used two thin coats and it was opaque.

Popular Polishes