Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchillyChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This polich was an impulse buy! I have seen Essie colors ALL OVER PINTEREST and thought I'd finally give it a try. I'm a Florida girl, so light pinks and peaches are my usual, summery type color. This is a big change for me, but it went on like butter! It's super smooth - I don't even think I'll need a topcoat. Overall, I'm really happy with it. For $8, it was worth it. I'd rather pay $8 for a decent nail color that goes on easily than a $40 manicure.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this shade. I agree with all reviews below: opaque with 2 coats, universally flattering shade, office-friendly, and it always seems to be in season each fall. If I had to choose only 5 polishes from my 70-polish collection to keep, this would be one of those 5.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Love this color! Soft, muted grey with a hint of lavender :) Reminds me of winter sweaters. It's a very work-appropriate color and would work well with most(if not all) skin tones! Remember to shake/roll the bottle thoroughly before you use it! My first and second coats glided on as smoothly as you please, and I forgot to roll the bottle before applying the third coat(it's a bit sheer but three thin coats will do the trick) and there were some bubbles and the polish thickened like it was ten years old. That was my fault for forgetting to shake it :P Great formula(it's a crelly so it's a bit sheer), fantastic drying time(this seemed to dry a lot faster than my Pretty Edgy bottle), and wonderful color! The lavender blush saves it from being an "ordinary" grey. Love!

I love this color! I have short nails and I just can't explain why gray would look as good as it does....well, it just DOES! Nail polish was never really important to me until I tried this. I am a convert because of this color.

on 1/23/2013 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a jelly-creme polish that dries to a gray with a touch of lavender. I feel like the sheerness of the polish really adds a feminine touch to a color that would otherwise be very industrial. I love that you can wear this color from fall through spring, since there is a little touch of purple in there.

Formula is thin and translucent, I used 3 thin coats plus a top coat for extra shine. Love it!

on 3/1/2012 7:27:00 PM

Just discovered this polish at a local CVS and it really is gorgeous. It does require more than a few coats to get a nice even color but it is such a pretty color. A staple!

Chinchilly is a really pretty, muted warm grey creme. This is what I would instantly describe as a "soft" color. Depending on your skin tone and the lighting, I notice this color's undertones tend to pull either beige or -very slightly- warm lavender. The name is adorable and perfect, it really does remind me of chinchilla fur. The formula is thin, yet easy to control and applies beautifully. I use three coats for maximum opacity, but you could easily get away with two if you want a slightly lighter look. A great polish for fans of neutrals and "mushroomy" colors.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous. Chic. Easy to wear. I love this shade! It is an opaque gray and it does have a tinge of a greenish cast like a reviewer below me mentioned. I see taupe in Chinchilly as well. It almost looks like gray putty. I am happy with the color but this is not a black/white mix - so if that is what you are looking for you may want to try something else. I applied three coats and Seche Vite to help it dry quickly. I got full coverage and an even application. I avoided Essie for years after trying only two polishes because I didn't like the formulation but this surprised me. I found this shade at Ulta.

Other popular grays are: China Glaze Recycle, Rescue Beauty Lounge Concrete Jungle and OPI by Sephora Metro Chic. After an unsuccessful search for Recycle and Metro Chic I decided to get this one - I am not paying $18 for Rescue Beauty Lounge - not that addicted yet! Pure Ice (sold at Wal-mart) makes a shade Kiss me Here but I couldn't find that at any Wal-mart.

I almost didn't buy Chinchilly when I looked at it in the bottle. It does look ugly - and trying to imagine what it would look like on my nails made me think twice. I am glad I decided to give it a try. This compliments my coloring, looks unique and trendy.

on 9/19/2013 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this last year and it sat in my untrieds in favor of brighter vivid colors like lime greens, neon pinks, and bright blues. Finally I dug this taupe colored polish out and thought I'd give it a try for fall. This is a pretty taupe-grey leaning shade and reminds me of a pair of khaki slacks. The formula is really thin and this goes on sheer and streaky. It did even out though with a second coat but it took 3 coats to get full opacity and cover any sheer or balded patches. Essie's brush is just a standard thin brush and it is easy to work with and it works especially great for small nail beds like I have. Those big pro brushes are too big and this one is sized just right! The Goldilocks of polish brushes. I love this color now that I have it on. I have been hesitant to wear it since I expected a boring mani and mannequin hands. This is like wearing a pair of khakis though, it just seems to fit and looks good and feels comfortable. I never would have expected I would like taupe polish but I am loving how pretty this creme looks on me. This is very classy and looks elegant and refined. Great for the office and being taupe instead of beige it is far from boring and even a little edgy. I can't believe I let this beauty sit for so long without showing it off. This is perfect for fall so I painted all ten digits!

on 1/8/2013 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Probably my favourite nail polish I own, for the price it was totally worth it. I own many other nail polishes by Essie (with mixed feelings) but this one was amazing. It is a very sophisticated colour, and looks good at any occasion - it is also so smooth, quick drying very ungloopy. I love it - highly recommend it!

Popular Polishes