Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchillyChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous. Chic. Easy to wear. I love this shade! It is an opaque gray and it does have a tinge of a greenish cast like a reviewer below me mentioned. I see taupe in Chinchilly as well. It almost looks like gray putty. I am happy with the color but this is not a black/white mix - so if that is what you are looking for you may want to try something else. I applied three coats and Seche Vite to help it dry quickly. I got full coverage and an even application. I avoided Essie for years after trying only two polishes because I didn't like the formulation but this surprised me. I found this shade at Ulta.

Other popular grays are: China Glaze Recycle, Rescue Beauty Lounge Concrete Jungle and OPI by Sephora Metro Chic. After an unsuccessful search for Recycle and Metro Chic I decided to get this one - I am not paying $18 for Rescue Beauty Lounge - not that addicted yet! Pure Ice (sold at Wal-mart) makes a shade Kiss me Here but I couldn't find that at any Wal-mart.

I almost didn't buy Chinchilly when I looked at it in the bottle. It does look ugly - and trying to imagine what it would look like on my nails made me think twice. I am glad I decided to give it a try. This compliments my coloring, looks unique and trendy.

on 7/24/2010 6:23:00 PM

Love this color! So pretty on nails. one of my favorite colors for sure.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really had high expectations with this nail polish after reading such great reviews here and elsewhere. Seemed to apply streaky and really showed it up until the third coat. Dried fairly quickly. As far as the color goes...I'm hoping that it grows on me. I'm not in love with it right now. I thought that the 'cement gray' would look good on my short-medium length square nails but for some reason, my usually graceful looking digits are looking rather stumpy after applying this color. Anyways...like I said, I'll see if the color grows on me.
As of right now, I personally would not repurchase this.

Chinchilly is a really pretty, muted warm grey creme. This is what I would instantly describe as a "soft" color. Depending on your skin tone and the lighting, I notice this color's undertones tend to pull either beige or -very slightly- warm lavender. The name is adorable and perfect, it really does remind me of chinchilla fur. The formula is thin, yet easy to control and applies beautifully. I use three coats for maximum opacity, but you could easily get away with two if you want a slightly lighter look. A great polish for fans of neutrals and "mushroomy" colors.

on 5/15/2011 1:50:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I tried it yesterday for the first time. It looks great, I simply love it. It is the most vivid gray I have ever tried. I do not know if it is easy to apply, I always have my nails done by professionals. The color though is fantastic!

I love this color! I have short nails and I just can't explain why gray would look as good as it does....well, it just DOES! Nail polish was never really important to me until I tried this. I am a convert because of this color.

on 7/11/2011 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

I agree, it's a beautiful neutral gray with a bit of taupe. I thought the ridge filler base I used made it streaky and hard to apply, but from the reviews it's the polish. With two coats most of my nail is opaque, but the bases of a few nails are more streaky. I don't like the brush. I'd still buy again, it's a great color.

on 9/26/2011 8:23:00 PM

I am a nail polish addict and am always looking for the new shade for the season. I love this color, it is a grey/taupe/purple. It is a nice neutral shade and can be warn as a neutral all year long. I love the brush as it is a nice size and easily applies. The only think about this nail polish that is a negative is that it does chip easier than my OPI brands.

on 11/9/2011 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My all-time favorite nail polish! Creamy, neutral yet a little sexy, versatile, opaque at 2 coats, long wearing. Personally I like Essie's small brush, I have really small hands & nails. Perfection.

on 3/1/2012 7:27:00 PM

Just discovered this polish at a local CVS and it really is gorgeous. It does require more than a few coats to get a nice even color but it is such a pretty color. A staple!

Popular Polishes