Essie Chinchilly

ChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

on 12/19/2016 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've had this color for years, but never really wore it, but decided to give it a go after trying "Sand Tropez" and not liking it at all (with my skin tone). This is a great purple grey. I didn't think I'd like it - but once applied, I loved it. I do not think that the Essie site description is correct - I wouldn't call this a granite gray at all - def. has purple tones. Even my boyfriend thought so.

Only downside - it took a full 3 coats to get a decent full coverage opacity. After two coats on my two index fingers, you could still see streaks and some nail peeking through - this was even with a base coat, and one nude coat underneath! Three coats worked great - and then I topped it with a shine coat. Unfortunately, I have a tiny chip on one index nail already - and it's hasn't even been 24 hours. :(

I'm rough with my hands/nails, so it takes a LOT for a nail polish to not chip. However, I love the color and the rest of the nails are holding up, so I may just touch up the spot and see how it does for a full week. Love the color though. FYI- Mochacino is Chinchilly with glitter.

on 11/7/2016 11:20:00 PM

Glad I finally decided to buy this color! Not sure what took me so long. I tested a bunch of gray/grayish Essie polishes at Walgreens last night and ended up not buying any of them bc I couldn't decide. I had a different color on each finger and when I looked at the colors with fresh eyes this morning, chichilly was by far my favorite. I just used it on my fingers and toes and can't stop staring at it. Loooove this color!

on 9/25/2016 4:00:00 AM

My fave nreutral polish...i wear it year round honestly its a beautiful chich color.. i get complimemts on it. Looks great on dark skin nw45 for reference

on 11/22/2015 7:07:00 AM

I love Chinchilly! It is a beautiful cool toned greige, more grey than your standard taupe colour. It applies evenly and easily, opaque in two coats and has excellent staying power. It dries quickly and is very chip resistant, like most of my other Essie polishes. This is a very chic colour which is ideal in Autumn but can be worn all year round with the right outfit. It is a classy colour which I also think would be work appropriate. A lovely colour and a great formula, what more do you want?! This is a cult shade and I can definitely see why, and I would recommend that others try it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Chinchilly is a beautiful medium purple-toned greige shade on me. Unfortunately, I can't give this shade a 5 because the formula isn't up to par with my expectation of Essie polishes. The one real flaw? Sheer and streaky. It takes 3 fuller coverage coats to even it out, and I don't really care for that. I'm looking for 2 coats and done. However, that said, I adore the color at 3 coats, and beyond that, it performs like a typical Essie polish. I use Orly Bonder and Out the Door topcoat, and I can get 4-5 days before it chips which is amazing since I'm a mom and constantly washing my hands.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A very pretty soft gray tone. It has really great coverage with one coat, but I use two. It lasts the same as other polishes.

on 9/15/2015 12:10:00 AM

Well I'am trying this out for the first time. I don't think the whole greige thing works well on my skin but this had great reviews. I tried master plan but pulled way too beige on me... Looked horrible so I will let you know how this works out. I do tend too look better in bright or dark (vampy) but trying to find a color that can take the transition into fall. Well luv it!!! I got so many compliments in this. A strange grey color with a hint on purple. I got lots if compliments. Will wear this into fall!! This is a cult color for a reason!!! Possibly one of the greatest grey polishes out there and trust me i know! I have been doing my nails 3 x a week for over 20 years and have over 300 polished from Essie, OPI to Chanel and Mac! This one is a keeper and a buy a back up one!!!!

on 5/2/2015 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is one of my favourites, and go-to polishes, from my stash of 225-250 regular polishes. When I am being indecisive about what to put on and am stuck on having too many choices, I pull out the Chinchilly! I am very pale (but with warmer undertones) and so many gray/grieges can look a little dead on me, but this has a beautiful lavender tint to it that keeps it warm and lovely. I have a few "similar" polish colours but this one is just something special. On my skin it definitely does pull more of the purple, but not so much it actually looks purple rather than gray.

While it does speak more fall/winter, in that it reminds me of cozy sweaters or something, I don't care and wear it year round as I think it is light enough to pull off. It is a great neutral that can take me from work to play. Not sure how to explain it, but it seems like a very classy colour, and makes even this rather casual woman feel more sophisticated (at least when it comes to my hands!) :)

Formula is good. Easy to work with and does not pool unless you overload the brush (the Essie brush of course is a love/hate with people so judge for yourself, I like the control I get with it, but do like wider brushes in general). It goes on a bit streaky but self-levels REALLY well...I always think the last coat looks too streaky and somehow a couple of minutes into drying it looks perfectly even and glossy. I usually do 3 coats to ensure bald spots are covered and get more depth in the colour. I wear it over clear gel/acrgel base & top, with a RNP base coat and RNP top coat, and easily get one week of wear, and it is one of the few polishes I enjoy so much I don't WANT to take it off after 2-3 days!

I would buy again, and again, and again. I am glad it is part of Essie's core line!

Mid-tone pirple-gray creme. Evens out well. Beautiful color for fingers on fair skin (all I can attest to).

on 1/3/2015 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

Well since Sally Hansen's Miracle Gel has all my nails peeling in a hundred layers, I needed something to cover up the ugliness. This is a great grey polish which when topped with a glossy topcoat shines like the sun. Very pretty on my short, short nails (til the ugly grows out). Even tried it with a matte topcoat which was pretty cool and very different. Good product Essie!

Popular Polishes