Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchilly

4.7

on 9/25/2016 4:00:00 AM

My fave nreutral polish...i wear it year round honestly its a beautiful chich color.. i get complimemts on it. Looks great on dark skin nw45 for reference

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

A very pretty soft gray tone. It has really great coverage with one coat, but I use two. It lasts the same as other polishes.

on 11/25/2013 1:32:00 AM

very pretty color, but not the best formula. two coats still look patchy and needed the third. doesn't make my hands look dead. worth the effort. Essie got the shade just right

on 4/17/2012 2:09:00 PM

This is a Gray with a Taupe untone, I think it's a great Fall/Winter color. I start with a base coat, then 2 coat of polish and finsh off with a top coat to keep my color and for extra shine. Generally, Essie polishes are watery (especially the lighter shades), Chinchilly is thicker in comparsion and doesn't streak. Essie's brush head is smaller compare to OPI. Keep in mind there products aren't "fast-drying" so make sure you give it enough time to dry. A bottle will last me a while and I will repurchase again.

on 9/13/2011 2:32:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This color was the color that sparked my nail polish addiction. Bought it last Fall 2010 after seeing someone wearing it and ADORE it. I also did not even know about MUA until then! I used to wear nail polish only in the summer and only on my toes, but this color changed it all and a year later I dont even remember the last time that my nails were naked! *gasp* I just happen to be wearing this color again and still love it like the first time. It is a gray with hints of brown and lavender, I have no color like it in my growing collection. For reference I am cool toned NW20/N4

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

This is not too flattering on my skin tone but I just LOVE the colour. I have this attraction to these new grey toned polishes for some reason. In the sun... wow is it ever nice to look at... so unusual. It almost looks like a pale greyish lavender. Also I wasn't expecting the great quality of this polish. I just figured there was a lot of hype. The thing is this colour goes on opaque and streak free and lasts sooo much longer than the other polishes that I own. I wore this for a few days straight without having to touch up on it. I bought another Essie polish "Eternal Optimist" because I now love this brand and I wanted something that had a more everyday look.

Great consistency, not too thick or watery. It came out darker than I was expecting, since I was hoping it might be similar to Deborah Lippmann's Waking Up in Vegas, but seeing it on, I don't mind! This is a great neutral polish that I'll go to again and again!!

on 5/2/2011 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love this color and I get compliments on it all the time. I think I really lucked out with this one. It was very easy to apply - not too thick or watery and it seemed to smooth out a bit on its own. One coat dries pretty quick, too. When I tried this polish with no basecoat & no topcoat, it lasted 4 days without chipping or fading at the tips! I'm typing away on the keyboard all day, too. I'm very impressed.

on 2/28/2010 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I never would have bought this color if it weren't for a blog I read somewhere. I was going to buy either this or OPI's You Don't Know Jacques! Honestly, I thought You Don't Know Jacques! would be much more flattering on my skin because I am a winter, and I thought Chinchilly was just to greige and would clash with my skin or wash it out, but I went with the Chinchilly anyway and I am so glad I did.

Chinchilly looks unexpectedly rich and deep on my pale fingers, so I think You Don't Know Jacques would have been too dark. I think you must try this color on before you judge it! It is fantastic.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous. Chic. Easy to wear. I love this shade! It is an opaque gray and it does have a tinge of a greenish cast like a reviewer below me mentioned. I see taupe in Chinchilly as well. It almost looks like gray putty. I am happy with the color but this is not a black/white mix - so if that is what you are looking for you may want to try something else. I applied three coats and Seche Vite to help it dry quickly. I got full coverage and an even application. I avoided Essie for years after trying only two polishes because I didn't like the formulation but this surprised me. I found this shade at Ulta.

Other popular grays are: China Glaze Recycle, Rescue Beauty Lounge Concrete Jungle and OPI by Sephora Metro Chic. After an unsuccessful search for Recycle and Metro Chic I decided to get this one - I am not paying $18 for Rescue Beauty Lounge - not that addicted yet! Pure Ice (sold at Wal-mart) makes a shade Kiss me Here but I couldn't find that at any Wal-mart.

I almost didn't buy Chinchilly when I looked at it in the bottle. It does look ugly - and trying to imagine what it would look like on my nails made me think twice. I am glad I decided to give it a try. This compliments my coloring, looks unique and trendy.

Popular Polishes