MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash

MAC Zoom Fast Black Lash

3.3

Water\Aqua\Eau, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax\Cera Carnauba\Cire De Carnauba, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Polyisobutene, Silica, Polyvinyl Acetate, Aminomethyl Propanediol, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Isostearic Acid, Polyester-5, PVP, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pantethine, Lauroyl Lysine, PEG-9 Dimethicone, Caprylyl Glycol, Laureth-4, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Simethicone, 1,2-Hexanediol, Phenethyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Chloroxylenol, Phenoxyethanol [+/- Mica, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Black 2 (CI 77266), Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Chromium Oxide Greens, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Ultramarines, Yellow 5 Lake]

on 5/13/2016 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I've tried plenty of mascaras but this is by the far the best one I have ever used! The mascara gives my lashes great volume and length!

on 3/5/2016 2:13:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Had a sample and it worked good then I bought a full size and first application worked good then used it the next day and it wasn't coating my lashes smh I have yet to find a good mascara from high end to drug store they all suck...any suggestions are welcome I need a good mascara the eyes play the biggest role in the beauty look in my opinion and I need mascara that will stand out not one I have to apply 30 coats per lash to make it noticeable it gets tiresome and that is the part of the make up application I dread most its a long process and still my lashes just look blah...

To Read all 134 Reviews, Login or Join

Not a fan of this mascara as its way too clumpy. I didn't notice that much increase in length either.

I have read bad reviews about this, but I do luv it! For me, I am never going to love a mascara if I don't apply it right. I learned to use light coats and many layers, plus don't pump the tube. With that said, I really adored the build-ability of this mascara. For me it mainly added length (not as much thickness.)

One negative- it only seemed to last around five weeks for me (after that mark, it seemed to thicken up and even smell not so nice.)

on 1/22/2016 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I fancy myself a mascara Aficionado in the sense that I have tried them ALL from high to low end, drug store to designer and a plethora of overpriced gimmicky wands in all their overhyped glory. Being that I am a major germophobe and always toss my mascara out every 4-5 wks, I usually end up trying out a completely different formula or brand the next month. Being as how it had been a couple yrs since I purchased and re-tried any MAC mascara's, this is one of two that I decided to buy and try.

Let me first preface that when I purchase mascaras I hope to get volume more so than length. When I purchased this I was under the impression this was a volumizing mascara based on reviews and YT vids, all of which said this gave volume and zero length... I happened to find this did the opposite: I got length and no volume. Not crazy amounts of length mind you, but a noticeable amount without using a lash curler. I got zero volume. My lashes weren't clumping together too terribly BUT there was noticeable clumpage - this is def. a thick and chunky sort of formula. I was pretty bummed that this formulation provided absolutely no separation at all (which is why I purchased it). My other issue with this formula is that it's extremely wet and took way too long to dry. I am in the minority here in reviewland I suppose because I don't find this to be a "va-va-voom" deep black nightime dramatic look mascara; I actually am of the opposite opinion and think this would be fine for daytime looks but doesn't have enough flair for party drama.

Now we all have different criteria for what makes a great mascara but IMO this is just kinda there. I think there are plenty of drugstore brands that outshine this formula, esp. if you wander around the L'Oreal isle. I personally just was not impressed. I think Mac has a lot of good formulas, but this one isn't knocking my socks off.

on 1/18/2016 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is by far the best mascara I have ever used. I have been reading some of the complaints, and I have to say that the minor issues mentioned can easily be dealt with, this mascara gives the BLACKEST and longest looking lashes ever.

I agree that, when you first use the mascara, it comes out with a lot of product on the brush and might look a little clumpy. I just scrape the excess off on the rim, back into the tube, so I'm not wasting any. I actually have to do this with almost ANY mascara when I first start using it. It does not put clumps on your lashes. After you use the mascara for a few weeks, less product comes out making it easier to apply.
The brush is the perfect size IMO. Not too big and not too small, perfect for getting every lash.
I've never had that much difficulty taking it off, I use makeup removing wipes, wrap a corner around my finger, then gently rub over the top and bottom of my lashes. It will however take an entire wipe since this mascara is like black ink.
If you want dramatic lashes in one easy coat, and can deal with the few things I mentioned I think you'll love it :)

UPDATE***
Still my fave, but I'm giving this mascara a 4 instead of 5 lippie because they should figure out a way that less product comes out on the brush.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I bought this product because a few years ago I remember using "zoom fast" but it was waterproof, and it made my (short and blonde) eyelashes incredibly long and amazing. Sadly this mascara on its own doesnt do a whole lot except make my eyelashes black and get all over my eyelid unless I'm super careful. It doesnt separate the lashes at all, but the colour is great. I realized it works very nicely on top of any other mascara, for some reason once it has a base it suddenly volumizes, lengthens, and does its job well. I use it on top of the colossal by mayelline and together they work wonders.

I bought this while on vacation in St Marteen so the price was tax free and much lower than what i pay at home which was awesome.

When I tried it on in store i was soooo impressed with it. I couldn't believe how good it looked, it made my lashes dark and super long!!

Now here is where I started to dislike the mascara. When I got home, i opened up the package and applied it. It was so clumpy, not at all how it was the first time. The wand was full of fluid.

I've tried everything from wiping the wand (which to me is a HUGE waste of money), curling my lashes (doesn't help) and using a lash separator.

Unfortunately this was a waste of money and would not repurchase or recommend to anyone.

on 4/26/2015 10:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

The brush has small to average size bristles and is awesome at getting all the eyelashes in the corners even the small ones. It's SUPER BLACK love it, not flakey and washes off easily. Even more easily then any other mascara I've had so I'm not sure why people say it's hard to wash off, it's really not. I don't rub my eyes too much when I wash, I soak my eyes with hands full of warm water a few times for a few seconds and it really helps to soften it up and washes right off with my face soap :) I find that no matter what mascara I use, and I have tried a LOT, that I always have to use a lash comb. It dries quickly so comb right away. I curl my lashes and it really holds it well all day, even after I've gone running. I had purchased the sample size and was super happy with it and bought the full size mascara today. This is one of two mascaras I've ever decided to repurchase :)

on 2/3/2015 1:31:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

After reading some other reviews, I totally get the negativity around this product. When I am cleaning my face at night it definitely is hard to remove and it does given you black eyes. I actually found using MAC Easy Off Eye Makeup Remover works the best for this mascara.

That being said - I love this mascara and have used it since it came out. I used to use the Zoom Fast (I think it was called???) but then a lady at MAC suggested this as it was new at the time and now it's the only thing I use. I tried Plush Lash and Dazzle Lash and just not the same. I have really dark brown eyes, so I really like very black, dramatic lashes on me.

With regard to some reviews that it runs with the slightest bit of moisture - that is true, it can. However, if you have the funds to do so (and I get not everyone does) purchase the eye lash primer and put it on before you put this mascara on. It has helped me to avoid the smearing, even at the gym! I can go to the gym, run 5K and it still isn't smearing anywhere. The primer will run you about the same as a mascara, with approximately the same life span, but in my opinion it's definitely worth it. And if you don't like it, MAC has a great return policy.

One big, big con to this product is its packaging! OMG it looks so nice when it comes out of the box and it's super dark and black and smooth but like 2 trips in my make up bag (because I go to the gym in the morning, so all of my things to get ready travel A LOT!!) and it's so dirty and you just can't get it clean - even with make up remover wipes. I would move this packaging to something similar to the dazzle lash (the shiny plastic) and it would be way better!

Another con is it does easily clump, and it takes some patience to work it through. I think it's worth it and I'm used to it. For me, I find if I curl my lashes before hand it makes a big difference. But that may not be true for everyone - I can't speak to that. It also does take some time to dry and you have to be careful with application. It's not as easy to use as Covergirl or the like, but the end result, for me, is more than worth the small effort. It's a wet formula so yes if you get too close to your lids, it will mark them. If you blink right away it will move to below your eyes. If you can put mascara on without blinking (and maybe I do because of my years of using this) then you shouldn't have those issues.

Overall - love, love, love this product from MAC. Other mascaras from MAC I can take or leave. And I've tried a lot - I'm a freelance makeup artist - on my clients (most of the time it was just a quick coat before falsies anyways, so a good test run)