Sunday Riley Good Genes

Filtered by skin tone : Tan
Sunday Riley Good Genes

3.9

NV-5 Ageless Complex (Opuntia Tuna Fruit (Prickly Pear) Extract, Cyripeedium Pubescens (Lady’s Slipper Orchid) Extract, Opuntia Tuna Fruit, Opuntia Vulgaris (Cactus) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract & Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract), Lactic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Squalene, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Arnica Extract, PEG-75 Meadowsol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, DMDM Hydantoin.

on 1/24/2019 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

So I've used Good Genes for a year now and have went through two bottles.

YES, this product does give you glowing and radiant skin, however I found the cream formula was too thick for me, this product never really sank into my skin, no matter how little I used. I did not notice much exfoliation effects, I still had some small bumps and PIH, but besides that my skin was pretty good and I loved the radiance this product gave me. This also helped to heal some of my acne.

Some people say Good Genes smells chemically or kind of gross. To me, it smells like lemongrass.

The packaging was pretty good. It comes in a sturdy, glass bottle with gold accents. However for a $100+ product, I expect the pump to be better. The pump can get a bit crusty.

Honestly, I do not consider this to be a true chemical exfoliant. It is more of a radiance and moisturizing product to me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Based on what I'd read in other reviews I really wasn't too sure about whether this was going to be a wise investment or not. I find when it comes to Alpha Hydroxy Acids my skin prefers Lactic over Glycolic anyday and this formula containing Lactic plus Licorice and a host of botanicals seemed promising...and turned out to be too! I tend not to use anything containing AHA's during the daytime as I'm never convinced I've reapplied my SPF sufficiently to protect my skin as soon as Florida's heat and humidity carry it off. For that reason I use it on a night time only. The texture of Good Genes is light and would suit most skin types I'd imagine, other than possibly sensitive types. I did receive a small sample of the Luna Sleeping Night oil with this and used in conjunction with it, but will write up about that in a separate review.
Onto the results: I found my skin tone generally brighter within a week of starting use and also smoother - definitely down to the Lactic Acid. It does contain silicones, however they are thankfully much further down the ingredients list then most silicone-containing products and therefore not a huge issue for me.

I did come across some concerns in other reviews about the essential oils in the formulation. Just to clarify in case anyone is curious there are only 2 oils in here: Meadowfoam Seed Oil which is a non-phototoxic carrier oil and Lemongrass oil which is an essential oil although not a phototoxic one either, and therefore no reason to be concerned about, unless one is allergic to them specifically. Being the beauty product junkie that I am, this has gone to the back of the (very long) line as I try the next bunch of products. If and when it does eventually get used up I would repurchase this without a hesitation based on my results using approximately half the bottle. One of the very best corrective serums I've tried so far!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I'm constantly trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample/trial sizes from e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
3. Pigmentation/Anti-Ageing: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 3/9/2017 5:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I've used this straight for two months every night
and have seen NO results. I am currently trying out lactic acid by the Ordinary. Will update this product.

on 5/11/2016 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I have used two bottles of this product. The first bottle was wasted on using it concurrently with Luna (for me, Luna made this product significantly less effective and yes I used them the way Sunday Riley recommends). I plunked another $100 on this because of all of the reviews in addition to wanting to give this product another chance. This product does make your skin brighter and smoother, but so do a lot of other products that are half or a quarter of the price. Additionally, this product doesn't last very long. If you use a full pump of this product, you will run out of this product very quickly. I used half a pump of this per application. I used this initially twice a day, but then decreased this to using this product only at night (be sure to wear sunscreen). I can't imagine using this product as a mask. You would have to use so much of this product to get the "generous" amount that they recommend and, like I said, the amount you get is quite small.

The bottom line: not a lot of product for the price. Results also not anything different you can get for products half or a quarter of the price. Smells a little stinky, but not as stinky as Luna.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Mirror mirror...are you serious?! This might be a game changer. Day 4 of using this exclusively morning and night and I can't stop staring at my face. I can absolutely see a difference. Skin seems much more supple, is smoother and brighter, tone is more even, texture is softer, and PIH marks are already fading. And yes, Virginia, there is a GLOW. Legit tingle upon application but that quickly fades after a few minutes. This might be the fountain of youth you guys but goddammitt why is it so expensive

on 11/19/2015 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

One of the best skincare products i have ever used that gives me results. These days a lot of products claim so many things but doesn't deliver good results. But good genes is seriously the one product i will buy despite the hefty price tag as it brightens, reduce the appearance of my pores and is full of anti aging properties. If you have the budget this is a must.

on 7/24/2015 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I've struggled with hyperpigmentation (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation if you want to be precise ) since my late teens. I would get a smattering of acne on my chin and the marks would stay there for years, as the same area would keep breaking out, it eventually became patches of discoloured skin that I would cover with Estee Lauder's full coverage foundation. I tried all the whitening/lightening products (shiseido, lancome, clinique, obagi clear- this caused a horrible reaction) and nothing worked. I just accepted that this is the way it was. Until Sunday Riiley's Good Genes, this is an amazing product, yes it's expensive, and I had to think long and hard before I took the leap, but this ,in conjunction with Facial Radiance Pads, lightened my hyperpigmentation considerably in two months. I don't have to wear super thick foundation all the time. It's changed my life. It smells like lemongrass, which I have grown to love, and it started working in a couple of weeks , which I adore. I am on my second bottle , this is HG for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love this. I always have problem with occational acne and acne scars/marks. This solves all this. It is very uncommon for me to finish a product either it doesnt work or im bored waiting for it to work on my skin. This is the best ever. I bought the Luna after finishing the bottle coz so much rave about it. I hope the negative effects of Luna will subside over time.

on 11/9/2014 2:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I also received a promotional sample from sephora like many other reviewers, and was left disappointed. To sum this up, this didn't do anything but leave me greasy. its a very runny milky serum with a light sour scent that fades easily. Packaging is a glass pump bottle, very lux, but so is the the price tag. Will not be purchasing.