Sunday Riley Good Genes

Filtered by hair type : Curly
Sunday Riley Good Genes

3.3

NV-5 Ageless Complex (Opuntia Tuna Fruit (Prickly Pear) Extract, Cyripeedium Pubescens (Lady’s Slipper Orchid) Extract, Opuntia Tuna Fruit, Opuntia Vulgaris (Cactus) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract & Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract), Lactic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Squalene, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Arnica Extract, PEG-75 Meadowsol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, DMDM Hydantoin.

on 1/27/2018 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I purchased a bottle of Good Genes after liking the results from a deluxe sample from Sephora. It’s expensive at $110CAD. The lactic acid provides a deep exfoliation, but the smell of the product is pretty revolting. While my skin did see some resurfacing results, the lactic acid stings and my skin really started getting red and blotchy. I prefer a good AHA peel than using this serum daily. I won’t be repurchasing.

on 8/16/2017 9:53:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this as part of the "Power Couple Duo" value set at Sephora, which included a small bottle of Good Genes and the Luna oil. I liked the combination, which made my dry skin very soft and moisturized. I could feel Good Genes "working" the first few times I applied it (slight tingling sensation) but I didn't notice any real difference in the clarity or tone of my skin. I was also frustrated by the difference in the amount of each product you get in the value set, as I ran out of Good Genes waaaay before I ran out of Luna. Overall, I think lactic acid is an amazing chemical exfoliant, but you can probably find an equally good lactic acid product for less money elsewhere.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I do not understand how this product works or if it, alone, is responsible for the change in my skin over the past month, but so far so good.

Yes, it smells, but that sour-like odor fades within five minutes. It hasn't faded any of the dark freckles (sun spots?) that I have on the high points of my face and my décolletage and I haven't noticed my pores getting any smaller, but **my overall skin tone seems more even and my whole face and neck looks as though I'm wearing some kind of primer or tinted moisturizer.** I've received more compliments on my skin in the past two weeks than I think I have in my entire life.

I've given this only four lippies because of its exorbitant price and the over-the-top and wasteful packaging.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've never considered my skin product-sensitive. So I was very surprised with a couple days after using this, I had an extreme reaction and got contact irritant dermatitis all over my face. I was red, bumpy ALL over (I had no area that was smooth) and it was painful to the touch.

on 11/17/2016 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought a very small sample size on ebay (for $30!) to see what all the fuss is about. It was pretty great - no irritation to my sensitive, middle-aged but still acne-prone skin, and definite brightening and smoothing. However: the price! I just can't do it. If I had more disposable income I'd splurge but there's no way for me to justify it. It's such a hot commodity you can't get it for a bargain on ebay, either.

on 11/2/2016 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I had heard so much about this on Youtube but I didn't get much in the way of results. My skin was perhaps a tiny bit brighter but I didn't notice anything significant. It didn't hurt or irritate, but this is expensive to get minimal results. For reference I have dry sensitive skin with some fine lines. Would not repurchase.

on 8/4/2016 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this product because I love to exfoliate and have understood that lactic acid, unlike glycolic acid, is more gentle and has more sustainable results long-term. I also wanted to address dullness, hyper pigmentation, texture, and fine wrinkles that are rather easy to soften with good quality products. I was sorely disappointed. I used an entire bottle of this and after seeing almost no results I have come to the conclusion that something in the ingredients is making this product ineffective OR it is simply not strong enough for my resistant, light olive skin type. Apparently it has a low ph but I saw virtually no reduction in any of my concerns. This is also marketed as a 40% concentration which is laughable seeing at how a basic lactic acid peel from almost any vendor gives MUCH more drastic results. And you can get those for under 20$ from vendors like MUAC. The serum itself is also annoying because there is no way to comfortably wear it with other skincare products. It's very tacky & very lemony (and as research points out, irritating) I went through this quickly. The only pros are that you can use this as a 10-20 minute mask and the packaging is rather beautiful (although mine shattered because it's glass)

on 7/18/2016 7:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been trying this off and on for about 3 weeks. On my skin, which up to this point I did not think too sensitive, it burned. A hot prickly itchy burn......I have tried it with Luna as well, not as bad a reaction, but still ichy.....hmmmm. It is still early days, I will try it out 2x per week.....

on 6/27/2016 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is a good product - but it's certainly not life changing. There are so many other products out there that work the same if not better at a much less "WTF?!?" price-point. Out of all SR's products, it's this serum which is hands down the best of them performance and ingredient-wise IMO. [check out my very detailed Luna oil review]. Even so, this is far from the miracle worker its hyped up to be.

Good Genes is your basic Lactic Acid exfoliant. It works overnight to sloth off dead skin, evening out skin texture as much as it can allowing for other lotions and potions to work better and also helping to create a smooth canvas for makeup. I got no aggravation or irritation from using this as some have, but that's because I am used to hardcore peels which are much stronger than this. People have also complained about the scent; well, I don't have an issue with that simply because SR's oils smell so damn terrible that this serum is like walking through miles of jasmine in comparison.

So does this product work? Yeah. Is it worth $105.00 per oz? Hell to the no. You can totally get better results from other AHA products. Lauder, Peter Thomas Roth, DHC, even (dare I say it?) Paula's Choice has way better overnight exfoliation treatments at half the price of GG. I was completely underwhelmed by this serum treatment and will not be re-purchasing it.

on 3/1/2015 5:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This product is spot on! True performer and I will repurchase :)