Paula's Choice CLEAR Regular Strength Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

CLEAR Regular Strength Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide

4.2

Not tested on animals

New ingredients- Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5 (topical disinfectant). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Bisabolol, Allantoin (anti-irritants), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (film-forming/suspending agent), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Sodium Citrate (pH adjuster), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 2/6/2018 7:28:00 AM

Note: This review is for the UK version of this product that does not contain benzoyl peroxide.

I bought this product as it contains azelaic acid and I wanted to treat the mild rosacea on my cheeks. I have pale/olive skin that since my 20s has been prone to the occasional breakout (always have at least one spot at a time). I applied this after cleansing in the morning (la roche posay caring wash) followed by avene tolerance (light version for day and riche for night) and then sunscreen (heliocare spf 50 gel). I've tried this 3 times in total, to check it was this product, and each time a couple of days later noticed bumps under the skin that feel like bruises on my cheeks and jawline. Have read reviews and found it has caused cystic acne for some individuals who have never had it before (and I'm the same!). Will try sensaderm product if I want to try another azelaic acid. Unfortunately didn't work for me and a shame at £36!

PROS
- claimed redness on my cheeks
- good packaging
- mild scent

CONS
- this broke me out in cystic bumps (which I have never had). To check it was this product and not something I came back to it three times and it happened again. I've read reviews of this and found other people have had the same reaction.

on 7/26/2017 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

i have combination (dry cheeks + oily forehead + extremely dry nose) acne-prone, semi-sensitive, dry/dehydrated skin. i have mild acne, though sometimes that will change to moderate during that time of the month. i had a terrible hormonal breakout a couple of months ago during my period and was searching online for products that would help out with the acne. i came across this and decided to purchase this to see how well it would work. i've only recently gotten into skincare, so i wasn't sure how my skin would react to this. after about 3-4 days of usage, my acne had reduced dramatically. i wasn't afraid to look in the mirror anymore!! lol. i kept on using it after my bad hormonal breakout and my skin continuously cleared up to the point where i had virtually no acne on my forehead, my cheeks, chin, etc. i used it 2x a day, but had to reduce it to 1x because it gave me a terrible dry patch near my chin. i used vaseline on that area for about a week and the patch went away. overall, i really like this product and have since bought another one. even when i do get breakouts, they're few/far in-between and very mild. well worth the price in my opinion, plus the product lasts a long time. make sure you get a decent moisturizer though, otherwise your skin will dry out like HELL.

I get the occasional breakout, and this works just as well as any BP product, but with a much more elegant texture than most. It is non irritating, and minimally drying for a BP product. On a side note, I really wish people who experience allergic reactions would not automatically rate the product as bad. This is like saying peanuts are unhealthy and should be avoided in any balanced diet just because you have a nut allergy. Of course many people will want to know if a product is causing allergic reactions for a high number of people, but a product can be fabulous for most people, even though you had a reaction to it.

The worst benzoyl peroxide treatment i have ever used. It gave me a severe allergic reaction. My face was red, swollen and itchy as hell for days even with benadryl.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

The product comes in a tube. A pump component would be great, but would likely add to the price.
The formula is great. There is little to no scent, which is nice. It's a light, slightly watery, gel consistency. If your skin isn't accustomed to potent treatments, I would suggest taking it easy -- and definitely watch out for the creases and underside of the nares/nostrils (this area tends to get very dry, crusty, painful). Expect some redness, dryness, and even peeling/flaking until your skin adjusts. I've found that this particular formula is very mild, though, and doesn't dry out my skin.
It's very difficult to find a lightweight 2.5% gel for all-over application. I believe Clinique has one, but the price per oz is higher. This product is perfect for what I was looking for.
I use this product and OTC adapalene .1% nightly. This combination is the only treatment that has cleared my mild-moderate acne. Not only that, but my pores are visibly reduced, tone and texture evened, and any scars have faded/continue to fade.

on 12/19/2016 6:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

PLEASE be careful when you use this product. I had near perfect skin, except for the occasional zit on my jaw during that time of the month. They weren't cystic breakouts but I was annoyed at them because they would take about a month to heal and by then another one would pop up. I read a lot of good reviews on her clear kits so I purchased a trial kit. The first night I limited the use to the one and only pimple I had, it came to a head the next morning, which was great. However 3 more painful CYSTS also appeared in the area. I thought it was because my jawline is clogged so I continued to use this product, expanding the treatment area. Every night the same thing happened: one pimple comes to a head but 3 more would appear, sometimes one on TOP of the other in clusters. The ones that did heal left nasty red marks and bumpy scar tissue. On top of that, the area is so dry that skin is peeling off. I continued using it for 2 months before finally accepting that this product just makes things worse. Unfortunately by then, the damage was done. After 2 months, my jaw is officially a flaming red, painful mess. Even if I don't touch it, it hurt all the time. its been 2 weeks since I stopped using the product and yes, the breakouts take longer to heal and I'm still breaking out. But I went from 7 active cysts down to 4.

on 12/18/2016 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

Of the many wonderful gifts Mother Nature could have bestowed upon me, she chose ... acne! Awesome.

So, as you can probably guess, I'm really thankful for the Paula's Choice Acne Treatment.

The 2.5% concentration of benzoyl peroxide is strong enough to calm flare-ups without irritating or drying out the surrounding skin. Its thin, water-like texture makes it easy to spread onto the skin, and it layers well with other products (like serum and sunscreen). A little bit goes a long way, so one tube lasts a long time.

My acne is hormonal, so certain weeks are worse than others. When I'm dealing with a more severe breakout, I reach for the extra-strength version of this treatment (the one with 5% benzoyl peroxide). But the 2.5% is perfect for daily use and absolutely helps to maintain clear skin.

I highly, highly recommend this product.

THIS IS MY HOLY GRAIL PRODUCT AND LITERALLY SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!! I have acne prone skin and tend to break out easily. i have tried everything, diet control, every single products in the drugstore claiming it will clear your skin. I know how frustrating and disappointed to see nothing works on my skin. But this is the best product so far!!! I have acne like maybe 1 to 2 spots if i am on my period. But for the other days of the entire months, i have almost clear skin which I'm happy with.
Please get this product if you don't want to go on meds and try this products before you get on the medication.
https://goo.gl/7FkReQ This is a $10 off coupon. So you can actually pay a smaller price for trying this out! It is such a great product!!! Please get it asap!!!

hey guys! use this code for $10 off your order: https://goo.gl/MtP1Iz

So, this is a reliable spot treatment that does pretty much what it claims. I like that the packaging isn't too big (looking at you, acne.org treatment), and though the price is somewhat expensive, if you're only using it as a spot treatment, it should last you quite awhile!
I personally felt that it didn't warrant all 5 stars because I feel like it takes a somewhat longer time to work as compared to other spot treatments. That being said, it is gentle, and really won't overdry your skin too much. I highly recommend!

on 11/28/2016 12:02:00 PM

OMG, I absolutely love this stuff. My skin doesn't always respond to salicylic acid, so although benzoyl peroxide bleaches my sheets, it's worth it to have clear, beautiful skin. I apply a thin layer of this product when I am experiencing breakouts, and it really works to clear them up. It's a more gentle formula that doesn't burn my face, or cause dryness. Definitely apply a moisturizer over this, though. If benzoyl peroxide works for you, or you're having difficulty finding something that works to clear up your breakouts, give this a shot! If you're new to PC, use a referral code and save yourself $10 off of a $15 purchase! Enjoy! Here's mine: https://goo.gl/1b4YN