Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Celeb City

4.7

Price: $

Price: $

on 11/22/2009 4:48:00 PM

It's a pretty good polish in terms of pigmentation, formula and drying time, which probably explains why I can never find a bottle of it on the shelves of my local CVS. It's one of those rare polishes that you can get away with just one coat - the polish is SO shiny and full of shimmer, and that diffuses most of the light that hits it, making it hard to see any mistakes. That said, I still did 2 coats because I like having full opacity and my 1st coat was a little streaky - I always use very very thin coats, and layering coats while still wet takes off the bottom layer. Not too tricky a polish to apply though; just wait for the first coat to dry before doing the second.

The color is pretty awesome too. Initially, I thought it might be too bright and close to white to be wearable on my skin, but it's actually a perfect neutral, clean silver. Silver is trendy lately, isn't it? A friend of mine recently recommended Revlon's Silver Screen as a good dupe for MAC's $$$$$Yes polish, a silver shade, but I found that the lavender tones were unflattering on my skin. But I too wanted to join the cool crowd and rock the silver polish... and Sally Hansen Celeb City satisfies my lemming, at a very wallet-friendly $2.99 at that.

A picture:

(Excuse the messiness around the cuticles - it's my right hand, and I'm not particularly dexterous when it comes to painting with my left hand.) continued >>

This is a really fantastic straight silver polish. The color is a pure gray/pewter silver, no green or gold cast nor a duotone with colored glitter. This is not a chrome or mirror finish, either - there are fine particles of silver glitter. As with many Sally Hansen polishes, the color is very pigmented, a two-coater for me. There's a slight sheerness to it, so I like to use it over a very dark base coat. I usually hate glitter polishes, but this is a very wearable one.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

OMG! My search for the "perfect" silver is over! I am a huge fan of silver polishes, but end up being disapointed so many times. Many silvers are too streaky or the color itself just washes me out. I picked this up at walmart, gravitating towards it because it was silver. I didn't have high hopes for it initially, but for 2 bucks, thought why not? Little did I know, that this little gem would become holy grail status for me. I applied 2 coats (for optimum opacity) and it left a grogeous, shimmery, foil like silver. Yes, imagine that silver shiny wrapping paper. It even reminded me of the new nail craze "minx". Anyone who is a silver polish lover NEEDS this. It will not leave you disapointed, and you will have dazzling nails. I love this color and will be picking up a back up. for sure.

on 12/2/2011 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

LOVE this color! Perfect for Winter and the holidays! The silver reminds me of christmas ornaments! It's December, so that's why, I suppose. LOL. I will switch back and forth from a true red to this color. I really love it! It's VERY sparkley, and looks like the texture would feel gritty like real glitter, but it's super smooth! It's very vibrant. 2-3 coats and I look like I've used an expensive nail color, or had them professionally done! This color is superb. By far my favorite nail polish, ever!! I imagine this being perfect for summer, too! As glitter and sparkles are great for summer. I love this, and wouldn't be without it! It wears forever, too! I've had the same 2 coats with no top coat on for about a week and a half, and 98&% of it hasn't moved! Love it! MUST buy! Super cheap, as well!

on 3/25/2010 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Creates an effect akin to what I assume your hands would look like if you were a Terminator with chrome fingernail plating and the organic covering on the tips of your fingers had been scraped off. And it's just as permanent: be prepared to scrub and scrub to get this stuff off.

To clarify, these are both good things!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great foil silver polish. Opaque in 2 coats, dries quickly, and chip resistant when using a good quality topcoat. Good staple for your collection.

This one is def. in my top 5 favorite polishes of all time - it's that good! It's the perfect shimmery silver, it's CHEAP, the brush is good, and the formula is fantastic. What more could you want?! This is a one coat wonder if you do a somewhat thick layer, but 2 thin coats is better. Try this under neons too instead of white! I've already bought a back up, so it goes without saying that I would repurchase. I love the Sally Hansen X-treme wear line, and I especially love this little nail polish :)

I'm so disappointed....that I haven't heard more raves about this color! It's such a pretty foil silver. Amazing. As always, love Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear line as far as brushes and packaging is concerned. Opaque in 2 coats for sure.
If you love silver...what are you waiting for?!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

It's pure silver sparkle like others have said.. It can be a bit overwhelming, but I really like it! It didn't chip or fade for 2-3 days on me without a topcoat. I think that's pretty great because everything chips or fades on me within 1-2 days. It looks much shinier when you first apply it and it wears down without a topcoat.

It's a really unique color and I bought it for only $3.

I adore this color! My mom came over the other day and was going through my stash of np and also fell in love w/this color! :) She wants to wear it in Vegas this July! :) Silver sparkle delight would be the way I would describe this color...