Coppola Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy Treatment

Filtered by age: 25-29
Coppola    Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy Treatment

3.6

on 3/31/2016 11:20:00 AM

I am a huge fan of Keratin Complex products. They just get what you need to have healthy, beautiful hair. I've been using the smoothing treatment for about a year now and I'll never go back to anything else. I do use it sparingly so it lasts but honestly the bottle is pretty big so it definitely lasts me a good 4-6 months.

on 5/28/2013 10:14:00 PM

Most of the reviews I read on this product were from people with long, thick, course, and/or curly hair. Being a fine, straight(ish), and thin-haired woman, I thought it would be nice to add a review from that point of view. This is long, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. Here we go.

A little background on my hair... Fine, thin, natural medium blonde, very dry ends, lots of breakage. My hair has been highlighted for over 10 years, but hadn't been highlighted for about 6 months before the treatment. When allowed to air-dry, my hair was completely unruly. Basically, I COULDN'T air-dry because it dried embarrassingly frizzy, poofy, and half-straight half-wavy. Not pretty. I flat ironed every day since I can remember. It was to the point that I couldn't style it without straightening. If it makes sense, it was so damaged by heat styling that it needed even more heat styling! Viscous cycle... Whole thing in a nutshell, it was frizzy, poofy, weightless (not in a good way), damaged, and uncontrollable no matter what styling products I used. So...

First, when deciding to have the Keratin Complex treatment done on my hair, my main concern was damage and breakage from the extremely high temperature of the flat iron, even though everyone says the treatment is good for your hair. The recommended temperature for fine hair is 410 degrees, with extra passes on the hair. My stylist ended up doing 9 passes or "taps" at the root, then about 6 down the rest of my hair. Watching it, I was scared to death my hair would just fall off. As of now, the day after the treatment, I have only seen a few split hairs. I can't say whether these were due to the treatment or were already there, but I'm leaning toward the treatment since I received a very good haircut after it was done. I can deal with that though, because my hair is completely silky, soft, and smooth. The entire process took 2 1/2 hours including a cut after, because there were two girls working on my hair due to a scheduling mistake. They had to get me out fast. The normal time is more like 3-3 1/2 hours.

Second, I was worried sick that I would pay for this expensive treatment and somehow mess it up. (My salon charged me $350 which included the Keratin Complex shampoo and the vanilla bean deep conditioner) There is a long list of rules to follow afterward. I was afraid of sleeping on it and ending up with a horrible kink in it. Didn't happen. It stayed stick straight. I pulled it back with a silk scarf to wash my face, so it stayed dry. I put it behind my ears a couple times by habit today and when I realized it and took it out from behind my ear, it was still stick straight. (I'm writing this review on the second day after the treatment.)

So, my verdict: So far, this was SO worth the money. I was desperate, at the end of my rope, and ready to just shave my head and start again. (Ok maybe not) But seriously, I had no clue what else to try. I've probably spent three times the money in the last couple months on shampoos and conditioners, styling products, deep conditioners, at-home treatments, etc, than I did yesterday for a 4-5 month solution to my problems. I even broke down and tried both the Kerastase Nutritive and Resistance lines, to no avail. So, in my case, I'm actually saving money by paying for this expensive "hair thing" as my husband calls it lol! My hair is as smooth as a baby's hair, bouncy, and finally has that "weight" to it that healthy hair has... What I mean by "weight" is the weight that allows each individual strand to swing back and forth when I turn my head, instead of the whole mop just moving together in one ugly motion. I have never had that before! It is as sleek as a model on a hair commercial and shines like glass. I couldn't be more impressed. Side note: I do have a few Alfalfa sprigs on the top of my head. They are hairs that were broken before that I am used to struggling with in the form of kinky flyaways. Now they are totally straight, but stick due North! Ha! My stylist said they would calm down after my first wash.

I will post an update after my first wash and include pictures. I plan to wash and just blow dry. I'm actually hoping to get a little volume back after washing. When I say my hair is straight, I mean STRAIGHT. And it looks very thin, but what do you expect when you straighten the beegees out of already thin hair? In the meantime, take a look at the before and after pics on my profile. Hope this helps someone out there to make a decision.

UPDATE: After my first wash, I was able to simply blow dry my hair with a regular vent brush and it was perfectly smooth and straight. I could not be more impressed. However, I'm noticing more and more split ends and breaking hairs... I am attributing this to the flat iron temp on my fine and fragile hair. I hope this stops soon. I'm using the Copolla vanilla bean deep conditioner and Marrakesh oil, and hoping that will help. I have now washed my hair twice, and the results are the same as the first wash. I am very happy. I removed one lipstick for the fact that my hair is breaking and splitting. Hopefully this does not become a major problem!

on 12/7/2011 6:10:00 PM

I'll start of by saying, in this area, this treatment runs about $300 a pop. Luckily, I got it on one of those internet coupon sites for only $89, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The process was pretty simple. Washing my hair, then applying the complex with a coloring like brush, let it sit, then blow dry and straightening my hair. The no getting it went or tucking/pinning hair for 72 hours was a bit of a pain, but nothing that was intolerable.

It's been six weeks now since the treatment, and I have to say I do enjoy the benefits of this. My hair doesn't dry stick straight, but there is absolutely zero frizz and it's softly waved. My hair used to dry to the size of a small, frizzy, curly afro. It used to take me an hour to blow dry and straighten my hair, now I can get it done in half an hour. I've also had no problem curling my hair. In fact, my hair seems to hold curls better now.

I have only two complaints. First, being cost. This isn't something so brilliantly wonderful that I'd spend $300 on it every two months. Luckily, if you're handy and have a friend that can help, you can buy a bottle of the stuff online for half the cost of one treatment and get 2-4 treatments out of it depending on how long and thick your hair is. Secondly, I've noticed that my hair now gets oilier faster than before the treatment. I trained my hair/scalp to be able to wash my hair only once a week, and it was in excellent condition. Now, by day four, it's pretty flat and oily and I have to wash it twice a week. Still not that bad, but a minor inconvenience.

Overall, I give it 3 stars. Not a super amazing product, but considering it's ease of application and the ability to buy this and do it yourself, it's a nice option.

on 12/1/2011 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

It made my hair smoother and shinier..............for just a couple of weeks. At $500 (my hair is super long) it was the biggest waste of money. The packaging on the Coppola maintenance products sucks bigtime. Not worth it unless you have money to throw. Also, not washing your hair for 3 day with stuff makes it super super greasy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This Is For Girls Who Are Thinking About Doing The Treatment On Your Own--do It!!
Hi Ladies,
I finally went ahead and did this treatment at home. That's right. AT HOME, BY MYSELF, WITH MY OWN LITTLE NON-STYLIST, NON-TRAINED HANDS! and guess what? it was easy and it worked. Basically, if you can do a good flat ironing job on your hair and if you are patient then you can do this at home and save hundreds of dollars.
I was really nervous to try this at home, especially after finding websites about women losing their hair and all the stylist telling everyone that only trained professionals should administer the product. I ran across an article yesterday with interviews from stylist all around America who all just talk about the "revenue" that the treatment has brought tot he salon. It's a business for them--just a money maker. That's why they say they can only do it for you. In the article the stylist said it was a "no brainer" treatment" and "easy" and you can make thousands of dollars off of 1 bottle that cost $300.
So, you see ladies, it's really just all about the money for them. Now, don't get me wrong. If you have the money or just don't have the time or are not very handy when it comes to flat ironing by all means go get it done at the salon.
However, the process was extremely simple for me. The hard part is how long it takes. It took me for 4 hours with my long hair. I followed the instructions. That's all you have to do. You can do it!!! I never write reviews, but I wanted to get on here for all the girls who need to save the money and can't afford to go to a salon to have this done. Just do it at home!!! If I can do it, then you certainly can!!!!!

RESULTS:
I have had amazing results. It is truly a miracle product!!! I have struggled with the usual, you know curly, frizzing, unruly hair since I can remember. I think we all have the same story. It takes us forever to blow dry our hair and then it takes forever to flat iron it. Now, I just wash my hair ad a tiny drop of biosilk (can't break the habit) and I blow-dry my hair with no brush, just my fingers and it goes straight with zero frizz!!! Incredible!! I was so shocked!! I took pictures on my phone and started sending them to people. It was just nuts!!! And my hair still has body! before this treatment, after flat ironing my hair, it was stick straight but just extremely flat. Now I have smooth straight hair but also have BODY. You know, like those pantene commercials, no joke!
The best part about it is the versatility. If I want curls I can still have them. Just yesterday I blew my hair dry and them added big bountiful, bouncy curls with my curling iron that lasted all day. So fun! and it took me no time at all.
I'm writing this for the girl who is scared to do this at home. Just try it. If you are really scared get a friend to help you with the back, make it a keratin party. :) you will both save so much money. I bought my bottle for $130 on folica with a coupon code and used half the bottle. That's $65 dollars for one treatment.
And as for the web forums with women who have their hair falling out etc. They must
have had prior health problems or their stylist fried their hair by running the flat iron over their hair way to many times at that high temperature. AND THAT'S ANOTHER GREAT REASON TO DO IT AT HOME! YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER YOUR HAIR! I only ran the flat iron over each section 5 times. The bear minimum so that I wouldn't fry my hair.
I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS GIRLS WHO NEED TO SAVE MONEY LIKE ME. GOOD LUCK!!!

on 3/4/2011 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have thick, frizzy, wavy, highlighted hair. I always wanted "wash and wear" hair... because I've always been jealous of those who can let their hair air dry without it looking like a frizz bomb! My stylist recommended the Copolla Kerating treatment and I decided to go for it...

I don't know what went wrong but even though my stylist had successfully done it on several clients before me and I followed all of the directions and did not wash my hair or get it wet for 3 days... the keratin treatment just didn't seem to work! I paid a lot of money and I feel super frustrated that my hair is still frizzy after all of this.

It did work somewhat... my hair is maybe 15% less frizzy. It's barely noticeable, but it is slightly better than it was before.

I went back to the salon one week after having it done and the salon owner and my stylist agreed that for some reason the keratin treatment "didn't take" and they said they've never seen anything like this happen before, so the salon owner agreed to do the treatment again free of charge.

I was excited to have it done and I really was hoping that the second time it would work and I'd have lovely hair... but I started doing some research online and what I found really scared me. I found many different websites and forums with hundreds of threads with stories from women who suffered severe hair loss due to this keratin treatment.

I decided to cancel my appointment. I'm lucky to have my hair, frizzy and unruly is better than balding! Yikes!!!

Here is one of the many threads that I came across:

Apparently, many women have a good experience the first few times they get the keratin treatment and then al of a sudden after getting another one their hair just starts falling out in huge amounts. scary.

There's a reason this stuff has been banned in many countries. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

on 10/10/2010 2:21:00 PM

Hi Ladies,

RESULTS:

I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS GIRLS WHO NEED TO SAVE MONEY LIKE ME. GOOD LUCK!!!

on 5/5/2010 11:52:00 PM

I'm going to review this based on my results (after I did it myself) and my mother's results (after she got it done at a salon). I'll start with mine: I have damaged, highlighted hair, which used to be curly but has since turned into a frizz ball. It's about chin length and I use a ghd on it every day. Bad! My experience applying the product was okay, it does burn your eyes so you must use proper ventilation, especially since it does contain formaldahyde. My hair was super straight and silky for the first week; it felt like it did when I was a little girl. Week two, I noticed that it had a bit more wave to it (by the way, I always blew dry and straightened afterward, I don't like walking around with wet hair). Week three, and it was less soft...to be honest, it's now been a month and I'd say it's about 2/3 out of the hair. This could be down to the fact that when I applied it, I didn't do the best job. I also used a ghd which does not get up to the required temperature. I plan on trying it again, but based on my experience so far I wouldn't pay $350 in a salon for it.

My mother has naturally white, dyed blonde hair, which is very coarse and curly. Her treatment was done in a salon and it air-dries straight with very little product, and has lasted for months. I have to say, it looks pretty darn amazing. She loves it, and this leads me to believe that it either works very well on naturally white/gray hair, or it's best left to the professionals! I'll update this after I try once more, taking a bit more care this time.

on 1/3/2010 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This treatment literally changed my life. That might sound dramatic, but it's true. Before my stylist suggested Keratin Complex, my hair was frizzy, curly, coarse and too much to deal with. Now, it always looks smooth, shiny and natural. It's not a straightening treatment, which I love because I hate the look of pin-straight hair on people that don't naturally have it. Rather, it's a smoothing treatment, which takes the bulk and frizz out of your hair. Before, I was truly a slave to my hair, always dreading vacations and swimming ... Now, I can let it dry naturally or blow it out in half the time. I really can't say enough good things about this.

I PRAY Coppola never discontinues it!!!