Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois

Serge Lutens Feminite du Bois

4.4

on 1/24/2017 11:56:00 AM

How I love Feminite du Bois. No I have never tried the original Shiseido version .
I adore plummy and peachy scents mixed with woods. This one rounded with cumin ( I find I do love cumin in my scents too ) smells so womanly and human.
It smells like a strong feminist woman with a dark side.
If Feminite du Bois was described in a color palate I would say : dark purple silk and various shades of deeper browns and a touch of glitter .
It is not a new fragrance but one a couple of perfume companies have borrowed - namely Tom Ford and his Plum Japonais.
Also Feminite du Bois reminds me of Mitsouko and Femme by Rochas.
5 stars. Irreplacable.

I used to love and wear the original Shiseido version of this and was
devastated when they discontinued it.
The SL version is similar but a little less rich and long-lasting. I still love
it and find it a very original and grounding scent. Nothing else smells like
this one.

on 8/15/2015 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I am a huge fan of Dior's Dolce Vita, which I believe is close to the Shiseido version of Feminite du Bois. A friend gave me this one and I've been wearing it a lot. It just appeals to me. It is composed of cedar, musk, vanilla, rose, orange blossom, ylang ylang and peach.

on 10/15/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This is one of the most intoxicating, atmospheric, voluptuous fragrances out there - indeed full of shape and curves and soft angles, and character.

There's a sultry smoke to this - it is the scent of dusk in autumn. The world will fall at your feet, only to get closer. I've never worn such a spicy fragrance as this, in terms of cinnamon and plum. The aura around me is perfectly decadent - like a morsel of dark, sumptuous, exotic chocolate. It's warm and lingering, swimming around you in a tantalizing sillage that doesn't overwhelm. But keeps one coming back for more.

It is a scent of woods and oriental glamour, as much as it is delectable and vibrant like mulled fruit for mulled wine. Incredibly womanly.

The lasting power is beautiful. I only find it fades after several hours a little, but even so, I can detect it. On me I get lots of spiced plum, which is great.

To keep it going, I re-apply it once all over and it really boosts it's longevity, but still doesn't offend.

I love it's colour, the bottle, the way it develops, it's depth.

Dark, magical, earthy, prismatic, radiant, elegant, a sexy kiss on Halloween night.

It is hard to describe how I felt when I first smelled this perfume but I just knew I had to have it. I find the woody smell of the cedar comforting and I feel this scent suits me better than any other fragrance I have worn. It remains close to the skin so suitable for office wear, my only little niggle is longevity but I still love it.

on 2/1/2013 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I worked on a Shiseido counter part-time when I was at university (way back in the late '90s). Though I was directed to sell Feminite du Bois (distributed by Shiseido then) I personally thought it was "weird" and "gross". I then preferred Chanel Allure and EL Beautiful.
Oh how time has changed what I find appealing!
Now that SL has it and I have re-smelt it and fallen in love.
I now see and appreciate it's earthy smokiness and the delicious woodiness.
So on those days when a floral feels too girly, a chype to austere this little beauty give me a dose of warm, smoky sensuousness.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I wore Feminite du Bois by Shiseido many years ago. It is such a lovely, warm scent. Perfect for winter under a cashmere sweater. Cedar, smoke, incense. Very Zen, peaceful and content. On a lark I did a little research on Serge Lutens. Wanting to jump on the "great perfumers" bandwagon I ordered this unsniffed based on the name and the reviews comparing it to Shiseido's version. I am not completely dissapointed, but this is definitely not exactly the same as what I had in the past. The SL version can best be summed up as smelling like an EdT of FdB EdP. There is a lack of depth. Shiseido's FdB melded with my skin and after a few hours, the incense seemed to emanate from my pores. This one smells lovely, but is so much lighter, lacking in depth. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it smells "designer imposter-ish" but you can definitely tell it is a "version" of the original...not "the real thing". I will enjoy wearing this, but feel a bit wistful about the rich plum bottle of Shiseido I once owned. Some things just can't be replicated...maybe that's a good thing as well. I am interested in trying other SL fragrances. Perhaps his forté lies in his own creations rather than in re-creating others.

Feminite du Bois is definitely one of my top 5 fragrances that I own. I first tried a sample of FdB maybe 3-4 years ago in the August heat, not sure what I was thinking because this is definitely not a Summer fragrance. I was expecting the violet and orange blossom notes to be more prominent and at the time I was disappointed. I ended up throwing out my sample and didn't give the fragrance any more thought. Fast forward a few years, I went through a phase where I sampled almost every Serge Lutens that I could get my hands on, this time during Fall and Winter. When I re-sampled feminite du bois, I felt that I just had to have it. The fragrance is much better suited to cooler weather. The most noticeable notes are sandalwood and cedar, followed by spice, then slightly sweet stewed fruits followed by violet which isn't very prominent at all. In fact, I'm not sure that most people will be able to pick out what florals are in the fragrance.

The easiest way to descibe the fragrance is pretend you are working in a wood shop cutting sandalwood and cedar and in another room peaches and plum are cooking down on a stovetop with cinnamon, ginger and cloves, and somewhere in the wood shop there is a vase with orange blossoms and violets.

I ordered samples of both Shiseido and SL versions. Any time something is relaunched some people say it is "watered down". I find the SL Feminite du Bois very similar, perhaps freshened up with a pencil shavings note. I do not find any fault with this perfume. I love it. Perfect balance between masculine and feminine for me, warm and woody.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Surge Lutens relaunch of FDB is a soothing, relaxing fragrance that seems to fit the mood of delving into an intense day of reading on a leather recliner and contemplating on the mysteries of life. This perfume doesnt strike me as a head turning fragrance at all. Its intellectual and introspective. On my skin the spice and cedar are most prominent with a sort of dry plummy note that lingers in the background almost like dried fruit or potpourri. Its sheer, yet has staying power with moderate sillage. Could easily be a scent for a man, the name FDB doesnt seem to suit the juice. Its definitely unisex. I can smell the similarities between this and Dolce Vita. The difference is that Dolce Vita has a honey like sweetness and vanillic base, while FDB has neither. I do enjoy this fragrance but it hasnt made the full bottle worthy cut.

Popular Fragrances