Conair CS54 Nano Tourmaline Ceramic Curler & Straightener AKA You Style Multi-Function Styler-Straightener

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

3.3

on 1/9/2011 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product is pretty good. I've reciently opened up to the conair infiniti line ( vs high end appliances ) and this product I would give an OK score to. I could make much nicer, curlier or beachy waves with a flatiron and not snag my hair or have to do it 2 or 3 times, but Some people can't so.. Thats why its ok. Heat isn't as High and I would like it, but is acceptable. The reason it's an ok product and why I'd buy it again is the price - for 30$ and a heat pouch/brush and the product I couldn't go wrong.

I have medium-length layers and side swept bangs and it's wavy but frizzy and I thought I'd give this product a try to make me look less like a cave woman. I wanted something that will do waves or straight depending on my mood so I thought I'd give this product a try. It heats up in a flash (which is perfect as my grooming time is limited) and is quick and easy to use whether I'm going for straight or waves (I can curl my hair much more quickly with this than with my old curling iron). If you are going for curly though, it doesn't give you a tight curl - it's more like loose, beachy waves. So if you are going for tight curls, I say skip this product - the model on the box is not an accurate representation of what this tool can do. Also, if you have long hair (especially if it's thick) I'm not sure this would be robust enough for your needs. But anyway, I love this and it's nice to have a sort of 2 in 1 tool when traveling.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Sorry about the long product title, but I find there is a lot of confusion among Conair products because they are advertised by so many different names. For clarification, this is model CS54 the "As seen on TV" item.

If you're looking for a straightener, you will not be displeased. It heats up fast (30 seconds according to the back) and this is true for the *inner* plates, the ones you use for straightening. It does a good job on my wavy thin hair, getting it stick straight if pulled straight through, or with a nice large round curl at the ends if I rotate the tool. The latter is very easy to achieve with this straightener, and won't kink the hair like some other straighteners that lack the curved outer plates; you can create a very natural looking straight style this way.

Now as for curling...

Just to preface this part of the review: I am experienced in using straighteners to curl hair. I prefer the type of curl they give as opposed to curling irons. Curling irons give a tighter, rounder curl, where as straighteners can give a more "unicorn horn" type curl where the curls actually tend to spiral at a more vertical angle. If you haven't seen it before it's hard to explain, but don't buy this if you're expecting curling-iron curls.

IMO curling with a straightener is more challenging than curling with a curling iron. I bought this item thinking that it would make it easier to do with the curved outer plates. Well, it's different; easier in some ways but harder in others.

Firstly, the curved outer plates do not seem to have a heating element in them. They take a lot longer to heat up compared to the inner plates, much longer. At least 60 seconds, probably 2 minutes to be safe. The little blinking light on the side that indicates that it is ready lies. The outer plates will stay cool to the touch after the inner plates are red-hot and the heat indicator has long since indicated the unit is ready. To state the obvious: you will get much better results if you wait for the outer plates to heat up before curling.

Getting good curls with this thing is all about technique. Be prepared to burn your hair if you've never learned how to curl with a straightener. The outer plates make it easier to rotate through the hair, but don't really help beyond that, and the little joints where the outer plates attach to the device can catch on your hair badly (I don't know why they don't make these things all one piece or at least seal up the joints.) The key to getting good curls is to keep rotating the device all the way through the hair and to keep the angle and spacing between the rolled strands consistent. It takes practice to get curls of all the same consistency. It will look messy and kinky if you're not doing it right. It's much easier to do the shorter your hair is, and the smaller your sections are.

Overall, if you're buying this for the curling but you already have a straightener that can do it, skip this product. It's not going to revolutionize the way you curl your hair. If you don't already have a straightener and would like a 2-in-1 this is not bad. It's on sale at the CVS website right now for $30.