OPI Designer Series - Top Coat

3.5

on 5/17/2016 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love this stuff. LOVE IT. People are always asking me if my manicures are gel - it's because of this top coat. It makes my manicure insanely shiny/glossy. I still use 1 coat of Seche Vite (because quick dry) and I top it off with 1-2 coats of the DS TC. I wear dark colors a majority of the time so scratches tend to be more noticeable and quickly dull your mani out. This top coat has been more scratch/scuff resistent than any of the others I've tried (Poshe, HK Girl, Out the Door, Grand Central Station). It leaves all of them in its dust in that department. As far as it being less of a "holo killer" than other topcoats, I do notice a huge difference - especially in comparison to SV. I change my mani only once a week, so I'll touch it up with an extra coat of this halfway through the week and it looks like I just did my nails. Awesome stuff.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This top coat was made for a series of polishes that was originally holographic. I believe the formula has not changed. This is my go-to tc for most holos as it generally doesn't dull the rainbow (don't use this over holos that need aqua base, nor the Dance Legend New Prisms). I like this top coat enough that I perfer it over most others for regular polishes (like NYC Grand Central Station or Sally Hansen Insta-Dri for holographics or Seche Vite for all other finishes).

It's not finicky; I don't have to put it on immediately to avoid shrinkage, put it on in a certain amount and certain manner, nor does it peel in sheets after it dries if I let the polish dry too much before application. It protects very well; I've scrubbed plates with metal scrubbers vigorously while using this top coat and only had minor tip wear. It also stays shiny for more days than others. There are multiple top coats more shiny, but after one or two days they stop looking 'fresh'.

I will agree that it does thicken up somewhat quickly. However if you do your nails often enough or plan to, some thinner is a must anyway. Another minus for this tc is the cap, which has a silver coating that rubs off with normal use. I don't understand why OPI hasn't fixed this problem, it goes back to the original DS series from 2006. The price is also another point it loses out on, it's around double the price of other top coats. You can get it online for about $7, shipped, not the outrageous $12.50 most stores want you to pay. I don't, however, believe I've ever seen a bottle of this tc with a pink tint to it as another reviewer mentioned. I have seen a different OPI tc like that, though.

Overall the combination of convenience and benefits outweighs the negatives. I will continue to recommend this tc until something cheaper, long-lasting, and not finicky comes along.

on 11/11/2013 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this top coat. I tend to wear it over my holo polishes. I know it's a tad more expensive than most top coats but I do know this was made to be used with the DS colors and most of those are holo so that is why I tend to use it with my holos it dulls some holos a teeny bit but it plays better with them than seche or other thicker top coats.

on 12/9/2011 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I don't like this top coat :( After looking at reviews of OPI's Designer Series and I absolutely loving their colours, I bought Top Coat and Base Coat from the same series too. The top coat is slightly tinted in pink, but applies transparent. Initially, it looked promising. It smoothes out nail polish a little, and adds shine to regular nail polish. I didn't have a proper top coat before, so I didn't have something else to compare it too. It completely dries in about 45 minutes in an air-conditioned room, which is considered slow as Revlon's Top Coat takes about 10 minues to dry according to a friend. The rather long drying time is fine with me as I usually paint my nails 2 hours before I sleep. However, the deal breaker was that it becomes goopy fast, and I bought a nail thinner to thin it out. The consistency returned to how it originally was but whenever I unscrew it and took the brush out of the bottle, the brush will have thin streaks of polish trailing behind it and hardens, and it is troublesome to remove it before brushing on top coat. There was a few cases of the streaks on my nails which ruins the texture of my nail polish. I don't understand how the nail polish can be thin but still leave streaks at the same time. It became a chore to thin out this Top Coat everytime before I use it, and I am looking forward to using this up as I am on a low-buy and wouldn't want to spend on cosmetics unnecessarily. This is packaged in OPI's regular 15ml bottles with a silver cap. However, with extended usage, the silver on the cap will wear off and it will be left with a silvery-black cap. I will finish up this Top Coat, but will not be buying any OPI Top Coat again as I would also like to try other items. I will probably be buying Seche Vite Fast Drying Top Coat next, and will not recommend this Top Coat to anybody :)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

OPI's Designer Series top coat is no different than any other OPI (or any other brand, for that matter) top coat. It's just as shiny but not more so. The application was just as smooth, but no smoother, than a regular OPI top coat. But the kicker is that this one seemed to get thick quicker than other top coats I've tried. Only a quarter of the way through the bottle and I'm already having to add thinner. Also, I noticed when applying a fresh coat to a two-day-old mani that the t/c had gotten somewhat dull. For the price, I would expect a better-quality product so I won't be buying this one again simply because I don't see a difference.

on 5/7/2011 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

OPI's Designer Series Top Coat is, as the name says, part of the Designer Series line. It's more expensive than regular OPI polishes but the actual product, in my opinion, does not justify the price. It works just as well but no better than any of the other OPI topcoats and doesn't seem to do anything different. The wear time is just as good (five to six days) with no cracking, crazing, or chipping and it is very shiny. However, what I have found is that this seems to get gloopy and sticky a lot quicker than other brands (less than halfway through the bottle!). All in all, I would not buy this again because of the price and because I've had the same or better results with cheaper topcoats.