Kat Von D Saint

Kat Von D Saint

3.8

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I don't get any strong floral notes from Saint; I do detect a bit of the jasmine and lily which is underscored by the kick of the sage, but on me the fragrance is all about the creamy milky nutty tone of almond blossom, the comfort & light sweetness of vanilla, and the gentle warmth of the caramel. There is a sense of freshness to the top of the perfume, which is fruit and musk - I get the peach, but can't quite identify the other fruits used. There is also a powdery undertone to the sweetness at the heart of Saint, which I'm guessing comes from a quiet mix of white florals.

The undertone of milky/nutty almond blossom carries through to the base too, and the woods, musk and light hint of something green tones down the sweetness of the lingering vanilla and caramel, which adds more of a mature feel to the fragrance as it dries down. Longevity is good: I get a very respectable eight hours - it goes close to the skin after around 4 hours though, so it does seem quite 'quiet'. A fantastic fragrance for colder weather, as it is so warm and snuggly, although the soft fruits and gentle florals make Saint a all-occasions-all-seasons fragrance.

Key scent notes: clary sage, mirabelle, jasmine, almond blossom, caramel, lily-of-the-valley, vanilla, cedar, peach and musk.

I've not been able to wear Saint from 2009 in New York, til it was re-released in the UK last autumn and I've gotten a lot better at separating & identifying key notes in perfume, so it's a bit like owning it for the first time; Kat herself has said that the scent notes used here are the same as the original Saint, but I notice the fruits more now, so the perfume has more juicy freshness than I remembered it having. I appreciate the blend a lot more now & Saint is currently my favourite fragrance as I find it to feel gentle and comforting, and it's so easy to wear. I also love the new heart-inspired bottle design - its a piece of art, in my humble opinion.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I don't know enough about perfume to be able to write complicated reviews but I so rarely find fragrances I love that I had to write about this one. This is one of those delicious scents that at first blush seems like a creamy floral but give it a second and a gourmand reveals itself with caramel-y vanilla, sweet juicy fruit and zingy citrus to balance out the sweetness. There's also enough of a hint of musk to keep this from being cloying from the sweetness but you don't notice musk as an individual note. I took off one lippie due to the fact that the sillage + longevity are both underwhelming. But the fragrance itself, I can't get enough of. Now I'm curious to check out Sinner too....

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I had to laugh at LogicGunn calling it out as a "cheap, nondescript scented-candle shop", but its true. The reformulated 2017 Saint is a subtle generic musky powdery vanilla floral. Bland, annoyingly headachy and not even original. Short lasting (1 - 2 hours on me).

I say not original cause to me its a dupe for "Cabotine Fleur D'Ivoire". The fragrance notes are virtually identical! I've got them listed at the bottom of this review. Both have peach, vanilla, musk, and Salicylate listed. (Kat sneaks Benzyl Salicylate onto the back of the ingredients list yet leaves it out of the official notes.) The other names have been switched around to disguise. Eg White Flowers = Jasmine/Lily-of-the-Valley, Almond = Almond Blossom. In fact, if you swapped "clary sage, mirabelle" for blackcurrant the notes list would be identical.

I think Kat has more filler in hers as its weaker and more boring. The filler she uses is "Benzyl Salicylate", the cheap chemical filler of the fragrance world that gives everything that Avon generic cheap musk scent to those who can smell it (some people can't like almonds, its a genetic thing, not something you can learn). This can smell/can't smell debate is a major reason why people find the same perfume so different. Anyway, in people who can detect Salicylates, it can be a MAJOR perfume allergen / cause of headaches.

If you love perfumes but find you get headaches from cheap musky fumes, just check the ingredients list on the back of the box for "Benzyl Salicylate". Saint (2017) has Salicylate super high on the ingredients list, after alcohol and sunscreen. Sinner (2017) has it lower down on the list, so if Saint annoys you Sinner might work.

Kat Von D Saint 2017
Top Notes - clary sage, mirabelle (yellow plum)
Mid Notes - jasmine, almond blossom, lily-of-the-valley
Base Notes - vanilla, cedar, peach, musk

Cabotine Fleur D'Ivoire:
Top Notes - blackcurrant, peach, almond,
Mid Notes -vanilla, salicylate, white flowers
Base Notes - sandalwood, tonka bean, musk

on 8/24/2017 8:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Jasmine,Tiaré Flower, Mandarin, Caramel, Mirabelle Plum, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Musk. Much like the Sinner perfume this one is a huge let down. The fragrance sounds like it will be sweet and warm, but it smells like a cheap, nondescript scented-candle shop.

on 5/5/2017 3:38:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Loved this at first but I got sick of how overly sweet it is very fast. If you love sweet candy scents this is a good one to try. Bottle is also very pretty, I like the style of a lot of the Kat Von D packaging. Would not repurchase as I got tired of it too quickly.

on 11/16/2016 12:41:00 PM

Love, love, love, love Saint. Period. It works so well with my chemistry, garners huge compliments, and is so versatile and easy to wear in any season or situation. It was my signature scent until it was discontinued.

Today I learned it's being re-launched! So excited! I will definitely buy a big bottle. I bought the little metal skull 1 oz to tide me until she releases a bigger bottle.

I give it 5 lippies for actual scent but only 3 for price. Reason you ask? Longevity and sillage suck. 2 hours tops and I'm reapplying. I'll blow through the 1oz I just ordered in 1 week. No joke. With staying power like a grocery store celebrity perfume it shouldn't have the price tag it does.

But hey, I paid it numerous times so that should tell you something. lol

This definitely is reminiscent of D&G The One Desire, a sweet vanilla, caramel light floral. I have to be honest....I like Desire better. I think it lasts longer and is richer than KvD Saint. BUT!! I think that's my chemistry, mostly--as this scent smells DIVINE on my best friend (It's really more her signature, so I do feel kinda awkward even wearing it when it is really SO her).

The first spritz is rich vanilla and caramel, and the drydown is mostly musk and vanilla. 4 sprays only lasts about 2 hours on me before it fades into just a soft skin scent. That could be me, my skin eats scents like crazy. This is where it just doesn't really stack up to the D&G...the D&G is stronger, creamier, and lasts longer---plus the tuberose and caramel combo of that one just blows this one out of the water. So if the D&G is TOO much for you, this scent is the one you've been looking for :)

(crosspost)

on 3/4/2015 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my absolute favorite perfume. I wear it alone or layered with Sinner from Kat Von D as well. I'm so sad that these were discontinued :(

Smells nice but generic like a lot of other celebrity fragrances. Disappointed over all, also didn't last long.

on 9/17/2013 2:41:00 PM

I've been wearing this for quite a while now. As far as scent goes, its a vanilla gourmande, a tad more grown up than your average Fantasy or Viva La juicy ( which I LOVE).
Think a light florally vanilla, with almost a slight hint of sugared lemon.
The only downside is that its weak weak weak. I'm happy with low silliage, I don't care for people to smell my trail, but its so weak I can't even smell it on myself after an hour. Maybe just the slightest hint is left in my hair.
I bought the 30 ml and even though its light, I'd still put the money on the bigger bottle.

Popular Fragrances