Origins Checks and Balances

Origins Checks and Balances

3.8

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Infusion, Lavadula Angustifolia (Lavender), Potassium Myristate, Glycerin, Potassium Behenate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Potassium Pamitate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Stearate, PEG-3 Distearate, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile), Mentha Spicata (Spearmint), Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium), Citrus Bergamia (Bergamot) Essential Oils (Olea), Tourmaline, Laminar, Saccharin Extract, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone (iln21793)

FINALLY!
I've always had good skin - not flawless but nothing to complain about. Then I got pregnant and everything went to s**t. If the eczema on my face was nice enough to subside it would be replaced with more acne. Literal pizza face (Hey there *insert winky face*). As if gaining weight everywhere didn't make me feel insecure enough. I tried everything. Natural, harsh chemicals... EVERYTHING! I spent my days researching and trying anything that seemed hopeful just to have it react and make my skin worse or make my skin so dehydrated half of it would flake off while the other half would be greasy.

Here I am, 9 months post partum. Still dealing with the crazy hormones that killed every bit of confidence I had. I went to Sephora every 3 weeks asking for help, advice - I gave up makeup, junk food, dairy, sugar, fried foods, fast foods, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I wash my face twice a day. Still, I broke out. Blackheads, whiteheads, those annoying pimples that hurt so much and last forever - the ones that will make you damage your skin before getting the tiniest bit of anything out of them.

FINALLY!!!! Someone recommended ORGINS. I was sceptical as I had a right to be but I thought the price for 'checks and balances' wasn't bad at all so I bought it along with the ORGINS 'united state toner' (also recommended by said Sephora girl for combo/ acne prone skin). I've been using it twice a day for a little over a month and I haven't had any breakouts. I love how much the wash foams up - you barely need to use any per wash. As for the toner. I found it made my skin a little bit dry (not to the point where it was flakey - just a little tight) but it made my pores beautiful and I love that there's no alcohol in it.

All in all I highly recommend trying this duo (I don't need a moisturizer although, you might but ORGINS has moisturizer as well). It cleared up my skin in about a week and has kept it clear. I know they have other options for other skin types - I think that's really cool! One issue I have is picking/ any bump I feel on my face regardless of how tiny I try and squeeze to make it go away which breaks my skin, causes red spots and scabs (I'm working on it - no ones perfect).

One more thing I found helped get rid of some acne scars I developed during pregnancy as well as dark spots and just an uneven skin tone all together was doing a completely raw, organic honey mask every other day. Literally wash your face with the checks and balances, then paint raw, organic honey on your face (1tsp is plenty - I use a clean foundation brush) leave it on for 30 mins and then rinse off with just WARM water and your hands (skip toner on the days you use the honey).

Good luck :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love how creamy this facial wash is and it feels good on my skin. It smells fresh and minty. You need only a tiny amount for the whole face so even though it is pricey, it will last you a long time even if you use it twice a day. I think this is more suitable for oily skin. It doesn't make my skin dry but it's not super hydrating either which I don't mind. My moisturizer can take care of the hydration part.

To Read all 492 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/7/2016 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

This cleanser foams up very easily on the skin, a little goes a long way. It has a very pleasant minty smell. It leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean and very refreshed.
I would not recommend this cleanser to people with sensitive or dry skin. It is suited to oilier skins that need a deeper cleanse.

I have been using a deluxe size I obtained from a gift set with purchase for about a few weeks. Don't let the creamy texture of this cleanser fool you. This cleanser checks the oil on your skin well (i.e. completely removes the oil). It actually checks the oil a little too well. My skin is left "dry." Not particularly tight, or itchy, dry; but still "dry." Unlike other creamy cleansers, or even gel cleanser, I have used; my skin is does not have the soft and supple feel. It's left (sometimes) taught and (mostly) "squeaky clean." The balancing part does not work well. It does little to add moisture to my skin. Instead, it has this frictional residual feel (like the feeling you might get from using the small hotel bars of soap on your hands). Not a great feeling. I originally started using this for the cooler, drier, months. However, now I think I will use the remaining amount for removing make-up, or during warmer months when my normal-to-oily skin becomes particularly oily. The nice part about this cleanser is that a small amount goes a really long way; all you need is pea size amount to cleanse your entire face, because it (creamy) lathers that well. All Origins needs to do is fix the balancing part.

on 12/23/2015 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I am sad to write this review. I had a sample which lasted me about 2 days and after that I was convinced I needed this because it smelled so great and my face felt so nice after using it, so I got the full sized. After about 1 full week I am noticing my face is dry, which I have never noticed before. This really makes your face feel clean, like for the right person I bet this would be a good cleanser, but I just don't need the dry.

After using this my face is almost too squeaky clean. I am debating bringing it back or just using it a few times a week versus as a daily cleanser.

on 12/19/2015 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I've been using this since I was fifteen. My skin loves it. It cleans the majority of dirt and make up off on a daily basis. I never really need a toner after. I used to use way too much at a time and it took me a while to realize less was definitely more. Doing that also helps keep that top clean which can get gunky and weird. Still, it's a great daily wash, leaves my skin looking and feeling clean and tight, in a good way, and it's at a fantastic price point. Origins has revamped a lot of their products but the one thing I love about them is when it comes to their skin care, if it 'aint broke, they do not try and fix it. They know they have a good thing with Checks and Balances and they have not messed with that!

Got a sample of this in my birchbox. After first use, i knew it was different from anything I've tried. I have very combo skin (oily t zone and dry flaky nose) I used this and my face literally was squeaky clean. Typically anything I use to wash my face leaves my skin blotchy and itrritated. This is the ONLY face wash I have used in my 27 years that has not done this. I used up my sample, and immediately ordered a full size. And will order another when this is gone!

on 11/14/2015 10:26:00 AM

I got a large sample of this (I believe in a 500 point perk) from Sephora. It smells nice--like spearmint and eucalyptus, but the scent is not overpowering. It has a very rich, creamy lather. It cleans pretty well. So why 1 star? I have a large, painful red pimple brewing on my cheek, which is normally dry, and never breaks out (let alone in a large pimple in the center of my cheek). Either this, or the Ole Henriksen the clean truth cleansing cloths, or both, have to be the culprit.

on 11/12/2015 8:20:00 AM

I just love this frothy face wash! There's a lot of cleansers on the market, and this is one that I always come back to because it works beautifully, it isn't too expensive (compared to many of the cleansers at Sephora), and it's pleasant to use. It has a minty scent, and it lathers up beautifully on my skin. It's ideal to use with my clarisonic. Given the mintiness and the lather this is not a good choice for removing eye makeup (ow). I usually either use an eye makeup remover or micellar water on the eyes, or I do a double cleanse with an oil first, followed by Checks and Balances. You only need a small amount to cleanse the whole face. Absolutely a product I'll repurchase.

on 11/11/2015 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a nice cleanser. It foams up nicely and cleanses well. It's a bit pricey for a cleanser, and there is a strong fragrance, but it doesn't stay on your face long. I do like how it foams and cleans, but I see how it could be a bit irritating.