Origins Checks and Balances

Origins Checks and Balances

3.7

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Infusion, Lavadula Angustifolia (Lavender), Potassium Myristate, Glycerin, Potassium Behenate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Potassium Pamitate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Stearate, PEG-3 Distearate, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile), Mentha Spicata (Spearmint), Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium), Citrus Bergamia (Bergamot) Essential Oils (Olea), Tourmaline, Laminar, Saccharin Extract, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone (iln21793)

on 1/7/2018 12:23:00 PM

So I really like this cleanser because it really does remove my makeup. It doesn't remove all of my mascara but i haven't found a cleanser that does so that is a non-issue for me. My requirements for a cleanser is that I can do a toner test after and see no traces of makeup left on the cotton pad. I hate having to double cleanse and am always on the lookout for a cleanser that actually CLEANS my skin. This fits the bill. However...it dries my skin out. After repurchasing once and cutting out other products (glycolic acid), I'm finally forced to admit that this is most likely causing my excessive dry skin. My skin is usually normal/combo that can veer off into dry if I'm not careful. Normally it's drier in the winter, more combo/oily in the summer. I started using this last spring and my skin has felt consistently super dry ever since. It's also possible that it's contributing to my skin issues - texture, breakouts, etc. But I don't know yet if that is from dryness, other products, this, or a combo of everything. I'm slowly in the process of eliminating/changing products.

This contains bergamot, lavender, and spearmint oils. All 3 are known to be/can be irritants to the skin.

I wish that I could continue to use this but I am now on a hunt for a new one step cleanser. I know sephora carries a small size for $12 and I'm sure other places do as well. I strongly suggest getting a sample or trying the small size first to see how your skin will react to it. I think this would be my perfect cleanser if they just removed those 3 essential oils.

on 12/16/2017 4:33:00 AM

I tried this out for two days morning and night. It dried out my slightly oily skin horribly (including eyelids and lips) and gave me small white headed pimples all over my chin and one larger one on my forehead (which I don't get. If I break out it is usually on my cheeks.). My skin also puffed up a bit and wrinkles appeared above and below my scar that I have next to my eye, so I caught a glimpse into the future of what I will look like with crows feet (I'm 25 and don't have wrinkles). Some slight wrinkles also appeared on my forehead, but they weren't as prominent as the crows feet on my left eye. The wrinkles went away in about 4 hours after putting some facial oil and moisturizer on my face to calm down the puffiness and painful dryness. It's been about a week since I tried the cleanser and my lips are finally back to normal and my face is still a bit dry, but no longer itchy or irritating. This has made me appreciate my oily skin. Oddly, while I was using it, it didn't feel like my skin was drying out, but it was the only thing I changed in my routine.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really like this cleanser. Most cleansers make my skin feel tight and dry and uncomfortable even if they claim to be gentle. When I first used this cleanser I assumed that because it was very foamy and frothy (a little really goes a long way, by the way) that my face would be dry afterward. Nope - this stuff leaves my face feeling immaculately clean and with no feeling of dryness. It is also very gentle for me - I have had no issues with rashes or breakouts.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

As someone with normal skin (neither too dry or too oily, or acne-prone), Origins Checks & Balances is one product I treat myself to frequently. I found that all you need is a small dot amount, mixed with water and that is entirely enough gentle frothiness to cleanse your entire face, neck & decollate with - thus, this product lasts me a long time (unless I accidentally squeezed out too much, in which case I will just cover more part - my shoulders, back, etc). I also found this product works best while in the shower, using the warm water and the steam, in which my face seems to glow when I get out of the shower and my pores appear smaller. I absolutely LOVE the smell: a fresh, spearmint scent. I have had absolutely no skin reactions after using this product, as far as using it as the face cleanser. Keep away from the eyes, as most products warn against.

on 9/2/2017 8:49:00 PM

This does smell nice and is inexpensive since you only need a very small amount. However, that is the only good thing I can say about it. I am in my 50's with dry skin and this made my face break out as bad as when I was a teenager. I stopped using it to see if this was causing the breakouts and sure enough, my face cleared up. Used it again just a couple of times and broke out major. Beautypedia lists this as having certain fragrant oils that can be irritating. I can see from others' reviews that they have had the same experience of breaking out also.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using this for quite a while now and it is a good cleanser. A few things I'm not too sure about - one is the texture as it reminds me of toothpaste and the other is my skin does sometimes feel a little stripped after use. I will try other cleansers but if I don't like them I will repurchase this one

Edit: In the end this was too stripping - left my face tight & uncomfortable. I'm now trying their new Original skin jelly cleanser which is working much better for me

on 8/29/2017 7:17:00 PM

Checks and Balances is a good cleanser as has never made me break out but I realized that my face always felt like it was stripped of all my moisture and almost had a waxy feel. Price used to be about $20 and is now $23. Has simple packaging like the rest of origins products. Haven't used this in a while but considering going back to it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

History: for transparency, I love Origins and worked for the line! But I am doing this objectively.

I love the smell and texture of this creamy, non-greasy formula. It definitely is not creamy like a "creme" cleanser, but more like a water-based-gel cream. It's almost iridescent in color, and white.

Notes:
- a little goes a VERY long way. Use only a pea-size amount for best results.
- while it does smell amazing and feel amazing as you're using it, the moment you rinse with water, I get the feeling that i just used bar soap on my face.*
- price: not bad at about mid-range, it's neither drugstore nor high-end.
- packaging: a squeeze tube that is neat and true to Origins' minimalist style.

* What I think or feel as I use this, is that it may clean on the surface, but I don't feel like my skin is getting a deep cleaning. Your skin, once rinsed, feels like that same squeaky-feel when you use bar soap on a body part. I prefer a more smooth finish, like when you use most cleansers. Your skin doesn't rinse so quickly, it takes usually about 3-4 splashes with water, and then you feel really refreshed and 0 grease left.

My skin is oily, so I feel especially greasy, and that's another reason I prefer to feel super clean after I wash.
The fact too that they describe it as frothy" is a little misleading; I picture a lot of bubbles, etc - but it just is smooth and doesn't generate suds or bubbles.

This is a mid-level satisfaction product for me; I would much rather use the other products in the Origins line, which are often a hit for me.

on 5/3/2017 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

As others have noted, this gets your skin "squeaky clean." If you're oily, or if you have a thicker layer of makeup, sweat, etc. that you're trying to remove, it might be good, but for my dry skin it was simply too thorough in stripping the moisture along with the dirt. It does not seem to be irritating though, so if you can tolerate the drying aspect, it might be a good choice with low risk of stinging, redness, bumps, etc.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Ok so first off my skin is very dry but not sensitive. I do not like foamy cleansers like this. I prefer oil cleansers. I tried this years ago and wasn't happy with it and tried it again all week because I was sent it for free in my voxbox to review it ( though my review is my own even though it was free). With my dry skin this is just too much, I felt like I was stripping it off all moisture. The only way I could make this work was after jogging on the treadmill when my face is gross and sweaty. I take a shower at the gym and kept this in my gym bag thinking it's probably a good cleanser for sweat. And it really is, but it isn't something I would buy because I still think while my face was super clean it got tight feeling quick. Oily skin folks might be better off using this, just too drying for my skin. #DiscoverOrigins