Origins Checks and Balances

Origins Checks and Balances

3.7

Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificata, Purified) Infusion, Lavadula Angustifolia (Lavender), Potassium Myristate, Glycerin, Potassium Behenate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Potassium Pamitate, Potassium Laurate, Potassium Stearate, PEG-3 Distearate, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile), Mentha Spicata (Spearmint), Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium), Citrus Bergamia (Bergamot) Essential Oils (Olea), Tourmaline, Laminar, Saccharin Extract, Amorphophallus Konjac Root Powder, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone (iln21793)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

History: for transparency, I love Origins and worked for the line! But I am doing this objectively.

I love the smell and texture of this creamy, non-greasy formula. It definitely is not creamy like a "creme" cleanser, but more like a water-based-gel cream. It's almost iridescent in color, and white.

Notes:
- a little goes a VERY long way. Use only a pea-size amount for best results.
- while it does smell amazing and feel amazing as you're using it, the moment you rinse with water, I get the feeling that i just used bar soap on my face.*
- price: not bad at about mid-range, it's neither drugstore nor high-end.
- packaging: a squeeze tube that is neat and true to Origins' minimalist style.

* What I think or feel as I use this, is that it may clean on the surface, but I don't feel like my skin is getting a deep cleaning. Your skin, once rinsed, feels like that same squeaky-feel when you use bar soap on a body part. I prefer a more smooth finish, like when you use most cleansers. Your skin doesn't rinse so quickly, it takes usually about 3-4 splashes with water, and then you feel really refreshed and 0 grease left.

My skin is oily, so I feel especially greasy, and that's another reason I prefer to feel super clean after I wash.
The fact too that they describe it as frothy" is a little misleading; I picture a lot of bubbles, etc - but it just is smooth and doesn't generate suds or bubbles.

This is a mid-level satisfaction product for me; I would much rather use the other products in the Origins line, which are often a hit for me.

on 5/3/2017 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

As others have noted, this gets your skin "squeaky clean." If you're oily, or if you have a thicker layer of makeup, sweat, etc. that you're trying to remove, it might be good, but for my dry skin it was simply too thorough in stripping the moisture along with the dirt. It does not seem to be irritating though, so if you can tolerate the drying aspect, it might be a good choice with low risk of stinging, redness, bumps, etc.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Ok so first off my skin is very dry but not sensitive. I do not like foamy cleansers like this. I prefer oil cleansers. I tried this years ago and wasn't happy with it and tried it again all week because I was sent it for free in my voxbox to review it ( though my review is my own even though it was free). With my dry skin this is just too much, I felt like I was stripping it off all moisture. The only way I could make this work was after jogging on the treadmill when my face is gross and sweaty. I take a shower at the gym and kept this in my gym bag thinking it's probably a good cleanser for sweat. And it really is, but it isn't something I would buy because I still think while my face was super clean it got tight feeling quick. Oily skin folks might be better off using this, just too drying for my skin. #DiscoverOrigins

Great cleanser for combo skin. I love how it foams up and the scent is amazing! Something that I love is the fact that it rinses of your face so quickly (because of the Tourmaline, I believe)! 10/10 Recommend!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I don't know why I stray from this wash, but as soon as I do I come running back bc nothing compares. I am oily, acne prone, late 20's skin that is extremely sensitive to BP, salycilic acid, etc. this stuff cleans my face and I get zero breakouts with it!!! It's literally the only thing that doesn't make my face blow up with red inflamed acne. It is a very 'squeaky clean' type of cleanser, lots of people don't like it bc it's stripping, but if you're super oily like me you will prob love it. Another pro-I have white towels, and when I use this, there is no trace whatsoever on my white towels of makeUp. I've never had that happen before with a cleanser.

on 3/20/2017 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Great at makeup removal but was just too drying and I have oily skin. I love the clean feeling afterwards but it just was too much. I think it would be good for acne prone skin and drying it up though.

This is very creamy and has a minty smell. It washes ALL of my makeup off. It can leave my skin a little dry in areas, but I have combination skin that leans a little more dry than oily. My problem is the mint, it absolutely burns my eyes, every time. I just can't use it.
Ask for a sample before buying to be on the safe side. If youdo Not have any eye stinging and your skin is oily/combination I think you will love this.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

While it is very creamy and does get all my makeup off, perfect for sensitive skin, I found it to be very drying and I used a drop. Left my skin dehydrated and I had to load up the moisturizer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have fair skin prone to redness, dryness, and clogged pores. In the three weeks I've been using this most of my clogged pores are gone and my skin is smooth and moisturized with reduced redness. To cleanse my face I have been using Origins Micellar cleanser to remove makeup, Checks and Balances to wash my face and Kiehl's ultra facial cream. The difference has been huge and I credit it to the cleanser and the moisturizer.

Cleanser is creamy and smells like spearmint. A little difficult to wash off but leaves my skin clean but not dehydrated. Favorite cleanser ever and I've tried so many!

on 2/8/2017 5:46:00 PM

A little goes a long way for morning cleansing and for makeup removal in the evening.
I must moisturize very very well after use because it doesn't balance at all! It definitely works to reduce my breakouts. It also dries my combination skin a lot.
The mint smell is a little strong. My friend who thinks this is too drying compares the smell to toothbrush.
Another friend, with oily skin, loves the cleanser.