LUSH Grease Lightning Spot Cleanser

LUSH Grease Lightning Spot Cleanser

3.7

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris), Rosemary and Tea Tree Infusion (Rosmarinus officinalis, Melaleuca alternifolia), Organic Aloe Vera Extract (Aloe barbadensis), Sea Water, Grape Juice (Vitis vinifera), Lavender Oil (Lavandula augustifolia), Witch Hazel Extract (Hamamelis virginiana), *Limonene, Perfume, Methylparaben. *Occurs naturally in essential oils

on 7/11/2016 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This product saved my skin! It really works on any type of acne! I usually get whiteheads, and this product helps shorten the life span of it. You know those "bumps" you get on your forehead, with no real reason to them, but they just show up? This product works for that too! It also helps to lighten acne scars and make that spot on your skin go away! I found that the trick to this product is to put it in concentrated areas, and to layer it thick on top of moisturizer. Before, I used to spread it all over my forehead because that's where all my acne was. Now I've learned to use it right, and it has worked so well. My skin would be so ugly without this product, I could never be without it!

LOVE LOVE LOVE. this product helped with clearing up most of my acne! it is perfect for combo skin because it hydrates AND mattifies your skin (but not in a drying way) it just makes your face feel so clean. I believe it aided in brightening some of my acne pigmentation as well! I like to apply it before bed (after washing my face) and I do not wake up oily as I normally do. I also apply this before doing my makeup (before moisturizing) and it has significantly changed the amount of blemishes I get! lasts a LONG time because of the liquidy gel consistency, you just need a few little drops to do your whole face. very worth the price

To Read all 209 Reviews, Login or Join

Grease lightning really seems to work as a spot treatment for me. I have cystic acne to the point of using dermatology prescribed creams. However they were really dying up my skin and not working. I decided to incorporate this serum and it really reduces the redness and tones down the cyst. My skin seems to be improving due to this serum but I also try to drink loads of water so that might be helping as well. I hate acne in my 30's!! Luckily this little baby came along

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I got a sample of this last time I was in Lush. I have combination/sensitive skin prone to breakouts and really needed something to speed the healing process up. Spots were taking weeks to fade and then leaving scars for months.
I put this on immediately on a spot on my chin that was beginning to form. It has a gel like consistency and a little goes a LONG way. It doesn't really absorb into the skin so much as it does form a dry film on top of it. I would only really use this as a spot treatment or maybe as a serum under a moisturizer as it is quite drying. It has a nice tea tree smell to it and doesn't hurt or burn so good for those with sensitive skin.
It did a great job at calming my spots, it barely showed for the 2 days I had it and hasn't left a scar either. A little really does go a long way, the sample pot was not even a quarter filled and I still have loads left over. I will definitely be purchasing this next time I'm in Lush.

on 4/14/2016 3:00:00 PM

I have gone through at least 4 bottles of this stuff. I don't find it as effective as a spot treatment as I do a cleanser, but it works differently for everyone. I have combination skin and throughout the day my skin can get very red and oily, so I keep this in my bag and occasionally just dab a little onto my fingers and pat it onto my t-zone. It mattifies my skin and makes it feel so cold and refreshed, I don't think I could live without this product! It wipes out redness and usually will help lessen pimples that are not at the surface yet. Loyal lush customer and this is one of my faves :)

I use a good amount before I go to bed. My skin has definitely improved since I started using this.

on 3/25/2016 9:39:00 PM

This stuff is perfect for combo/oily/acne prone skin. I put this on in the morning before my moisturizer - about 1-2 pumps for my face plus neck. This stuff kept me matte throughout the day, and it really helped with acne that was starting to form. You can use this as a spot treatment but because I have large pores that are prone to blackheads and other stuff I used this on my whole face and had no issues. When I had 2 pimples on my chin that were not popping out but kept feeling them, put this one and at night I saw the white heads formed which was crazy. I put this on as a spot treatment at night and next morning those pimples were gone. Another fave from Lush

on 2/26/2016 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Tea tree as an ingredient has worked really well in clearing up my acne prone skin for the past few years. When it comes to fighting acne (at least moderate acne, which is what I have experience of and all I can speak for) I think it comes down to finding a few acne fighting ingredients that works for you, and for me those has been tea tree and AHAs, particularly salicylic acid. This product is a gel with a good few ingredients to fight breakouts (tea tree, witch hazel, lavender, grape juice), but it also has soothing aloe high on the ingredient list.

It took a while for me to work out how to use this as to get the best results. When I first bought it I just smeared on a little bit where needed, and I wasn't sure how much it did to my skin. Over time I've realised that the best thing for me is to really slather it on thick where I have breakouts or are beginning to see signs of them. I dab it on thick a while before I go to bed so that it has time to dry completely before I lie down, and let it work overnight. It doesn't completely erase breakouts, but it does make spots go away a lot more quickly or - if you are quick to target upcoming ones - stop them from fully "breaking out" (no pun intended). But by far my favourite way to use this is to soothe my skin. Unfortunately I'm someone who struggles a lot with not being able to leave my skin be. I pick at my imperfections a lot, and I've always been that way, even though I have gotten better at leaving my skin be over the years. The many anti-inflammatory ingredients are so, so helpful to me for those times when I can't help myself. This product minimize the damage I do to my skin a lot. I put on a pretty thin layer of this on the area(s) I've picked on before I go to bed, and I wake up with any redness or irritation completely or almost completely gone. I am so thankful for the existence of this product for that reason alone!

The one thing that I don't love about this product is that I can't wear it under makeup. It has a gel consistency, and it dries on top of the skin rather than completely sinking in. If I go over with foundation or some other makeup, it'll either ball up and come off right away or flake off later, leaving a patch of bare skin where your makeup should be. That's the one downside, for me; not being able to wear it both morning and night. But I make up for that by using foundations with salicylic acid on days when my skin isn't doing good. And if you find that this formula really works for you, you might want to try E.l.f.'s Acne fighting foundation, because it shares a lot of ingredients with this gel, tea tree and witch hazel for example.

The one time I wouldn't recommend this is if you have really sensitive skin and/or have tried the Tea tree water from lush and you found that too harsh. This is basically the complementing spot treatment to that toner.

Lastly I want to say something about the price: it is, as many other Lush products, a bit pricier, especially in some countries (Sweden, where I live, being on of them). But I've had this product for such a long time. Probably such a long time that I should just invest in a new bottle. So you get a lot of use out of this bottle, which makes the price completely justifiable in my eyes.

Edit April 12th 2016: I finally used up the last of my (frankly way past expiration date) bottle of this and bought myself a new one. Either my first one has been getting less effective over time (not unlikely since, again, it was old) and I'd forgotten how good it used to be in the beginning, or my first one just wasn't from a perfect batch, because my new one is SO much more effective for treating spots. And as far as I know they haven't changed the formula of the product. I've had these stubborn bumps on my chin for a while - impossible to get rid of, though not for lack of trying. I put on Grease lightning before bed two nights in a row, and now they're as good as gone! My god, I'm very much tempted to change the review from a 4 to a 5, but I'll hold off until I see that it's not just effective for a while and then "lose power" over time.

on 2/18/2016 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I often breakout and get painful cyst type spots as well as white heads. I had seen a lot of reviews about this product saying how good it is and how it cleared their spots overnight so I purchased this product. I have had it for quite a while and honestly I am not very impressed by it. While it didn't really help my spots it also didn't make them worse like some products so I guess there is no harm in using it. The smell is quite nice, you can really smell the tea tree in it. When I apply this product whether it be on a spot or all over my face it dries clear and tight. To me it make my face kind of look plastic as it dried shiny and if you move your face too much it starts to go flaky and make your skin look like you have some sort of skin condition. I really don't like the how it feels on my face, it just feels like I have something stuck to it which makes me really want to wash it off. I would not purchase this product again but I will continue to try other lush products. I will finish the bottle i have and maybe just use it overnight.

on 1/26/2016 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Regular tea tree oil straight on the face used to burn my sensitive skin so the jelly consistency of this product is nice. It also doesn't smell like super strong tea tree oil. Works well for my sensitive skin, considering most of lush's products don't tend to agree with my skin, especially on my face. This is really the only Lush product I buy because it's actually good and moderately priced. I don't agree with some of Lush's ethics like the way their employees are treated but the against animal testing is a nice change. Overall a good product, not the very best on the market though.

Popular Treatments (Face)