4.2

$29.50 on Skinstore
Shop Now

Reviews

6 months ago

I recently had a stubborn bout of hormonal acne after getting of birth control pills and this seems to have really helped purge out a lot of the underlying inflamed acne I was getting from that. I initially wasn't sure which BHA from the brand I should try because they have so many types, but eventually I landed on this one. My skin has never really tolerated salicylic acid very well but I have to give credit to the formulation of this toner for not irritating my skin and drying it out (nor is it hydrating though, in my experience). I use this toner 3 times a week straight after cleansing. Any more than that, I found that I was beginning to overexfoliate my skin. I bought the travel size from Paula's Choice website before committing to the full size and I'll definitely be picking it up once I'm done with the travel size. This product has really helped me change my thinking around BHA products and their efficacy, so I'm thankful.

About reviewer (105 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Coarse

7 months ago

I've bought two bottles of this product. I am now almost finished w/ the first bottle. The texture is just like water and does not sting or burn when applied. It feels like it's doing nothing. I cannot say for sure if it keeps my skin clear since I use many products and work very hard to keep my acne prone skin happy. This has caused no irritation of any kind. My least favorite thing is the packaging. If I keep my bottles on the side they leak. This product is certainly not travel friendly in the big bottle design. I won't buy this again, but not because I hate it or anything. It's just I've been getting used to retinol and I like using it more since it's anti aging as well as anti acne.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

HairBlond

EyesHazel

1.0

a year ago

This has hylaronic acid (sodium hyaluronate) which is supposed to be water binding and moisturizing. Unfortunately I always break out from this ingredient which is also there in Cerave moisturizer and lot of other products nowadays. I tried this to exfoliate my acne prone skin but unfortunately I broke out badly after using it for 1 week. My skin was pretty much under control using the 0.5% clean and clear moisturizer but now it is a mess again after trying this. It did make my skin soft and plump but also gave me lot of big pimples...so if you are acne prone, I would suggest patch testing on a small part of your face first...it is a clear liquid consistency so I would put 3-4 drops in my moisturizer and then put it on.

About reviewer (30 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOther, Tan, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

a year ago

This is my first Paula's Choice product and it was a little hard to figure out her line. There seems to be many salicylic acid products and it got confusing for me. I started breaking out on my chin last year and benzoyl peroxide did not help. I tried a drugstore salicylic but all these things dried out my already dry, older skin terribly. I have been using this for 3 months and it controls my breakouts and does not dry out my skin. I use it only on the chin and it is runny but I am very happy with the results as I have not had a cystic pimple since using it. I was getting a lot of post inflammation and redness so thank goodness for this. it is not cheap but worth every penny for me.

About reviewer (145 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

2.0

2 years ago

I bought this after reading the reviews on makeupalley, and its the first Paula's choice product I tried. Having tried it for 3 months, until the trial size 30ml bottle ran out, I can say that unfortunately its not for me. Firstly, the solution is far too runny. I have tried applying it with cotton pads and my fingers, but both times I think a lot of the liquid is wasted and don't know how much has actually gone onto my face. A second con for me is that this bottle is really leaky; I thought with it being a travel size it would be good for, you know, travelling. But I found that everytime I took it anywhere it would leak a bit, and towards the end I think i lost about 5ml of product which is a big waste - basically dont ever have this anything but upright, or maybe put it into a different bottle if you want to travel with it. The main issue, however, is that I don't really think this did anything for my skin. My skin is pretty reactive and spot prone, and on the plus side it didn't react to this, but I don't think it was strong enough to give me any results. I was really wanting to like this but I wont rebuy, I have moved onto PC 8% AHA which, so far, I absolutely love! So if you dont have super super sensitive skin and you're not worried about 8% AHA being too strong I would definitely recommend you choose the AHA over this, and I much prefer the gel solution (please read my full review if you want to hear more)

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

2 years ago

I had a stubborn case of Perioral Dermatitis for an entire year and during this time I avoided any and all exfoliants because my skin barrier was wrecked and extra sensitive. After clearing my skin and changing my skincare, my skin was in desperate need of some major (but gentle!) exfoliation...to say the least! Although I was nervous about trying anything potentially irritating or drying. This toner is amazing. Non-drying and no irritation. It literally feels like water going on and dries down quickly so you can move on with the rest of your skincare. I started with every 3 nights and moved slowly to every other night and I saw results within just a handful of applications. I've been using it most nights now and my skin is definitely calmer and my PD/Rosacea redness has virtually disappeared or at least it's controlled now (I can still get a bit pink on my cheeks with weather/temp changes). I'm nearly done with my second bottle and I have a backup ready to go in my closet. Wait for a sale w/ free shipping and purchase the little 2oz trial size bottle. FYI, if you travel with the 2oz bottle, be sure to put it into a ziplock bag by itself or transfer to another bottle...it leaks!

About reviewer (628 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

2 years ago

Good for oil control and clogged pores. Have to say it does not u unclog the stubborn ones. Worked almost same as the original bha liquid.

About reviewer (65 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesGreen

2 years ago

Although I have mature, sensitive, roseacea prone skin, in hot humid weather, I get oily and reactive with bumps. I bump up my skincare routine, and use Paula Choice for oily. I purchased this as a possibility, and frankly I get better results on my skin using this instead of the BHA treatments. It does tone down red reactions, and does exfoliate very gently. Now that the weather is cooling down, I'm using this every other day, followed by oil free moisture. But this is a winner!

About reviewer (159 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinCombination

HairBlond

EyesGreen

3 years ago

This exfoliant along with the Clear Cleanser helped get rid of my cystic acne and I have been able to maintain my clear skin for the last 2 years, before which no other products had worked. I also recommended it to my younger sister who was struggling with cystic acne - prescribed topical treatments and going on the pill did not help - and this combination of Paula's Choice products improved her skin dramatically. I highly recommend to anyone struggling with acne. It prevents future breakouts, heals current acne quickly and over time greatly reduces scarring. The only thing it doesn't entirely diminish is the emergence of white heads, though considering how well it works otherwise this is a minor if even non-issue.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesHazel

2.0

3 years ago

I have normal to dry, occasionally congested, mature skin. My skin responds very nicely to both BHA and AHA products when I have access to quality formulations (or prepare my own solution/serums at home). I had high hopes for the PC 2% since I had read it was not as drying as the Obagi 2% toner I had been using previously. I absolutely hated the oily residue left behind when using the 2% PC product. I have skin more on the dry side and this actually caused me to break out, not purge, it caused actual breakouts in areas I do not have any congestion whatsoever...a sure sign that a product is not for me, unfortunately. I am also put off by the exorbitant cost of a product made from such inexpensive ingredients. I have mixed feelings when it comes to Paula's Choice's school of thought in regards to skincare...sometimes I agree with her and other times I find she's still touting outdated and disproven ideas about skincare. For instance, her stance on alcohol being such a complete horror to the point that she disregards (and even demonizes) any and all other aspects of those skincare products, in spite of the numerous studies that have shown small amounts are not damaging and in some instances are possibly beneficial...she even denies the positive attributes of fatty alcohols (while she uses several types of alcohol in her own products and slyly describes them as slip agents or penetration boosters rather than admitting the are alcohols). Nonetheless, she does make a number of products I can stand behind... Unfortunately, this is not one of them. There are just better BHA solutions/toners out there. The positive reactions you see on websites simply come from people who've seen the kind of results a sufficiently powerful BHA product will produce, rather than her product being anything special. My problem, the same as many others, are the various added ingredients that can be either too oily, drying (too astringent), and/or leave an uncomfortable residue on the skin. Those issues may or may not be ideal depending on one's individual skin type, so I have had a long journey of searching for a BHA product that had more balanced/soothing properties (although keep in mind Salicylic acids tend to be somewhat drying by nature, so I, having easily dehydrated skin, use an additional step and prep with a good ph balancing toner like Son and Park Beauty Water or Mizon AHA & BHA Daily Clean Toner), rather than the extremes you get with Obagi or Paulas Choice. For anyone else who has had similar problems finding a good affordable BHA, I recently found a new one I really like on Amazon, it is listed as Humane BHA Clarifying Toner Blackhead and Pore Minimizer Salicylic Acid 2% (the front of the bottle simply says; Humane Clarifying Toner with 2% Salicylic acid) and it has been amazing. It is made with less irritating ingredients, plus it's available for under twenty dollars, $17 actually! I've added it to my routine with spectacular results, which has me curious about other products by them ...affordable, quality skincare should not feel like a long and arduous quest, but it sure feels like I'm constantly being sold lesser rings, for hellacious prices, in my search for the "precious" holy grail products

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age44-55