Murad Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30

3.2

Active Ingredients: Ensulizole 2.0%, Octinoxate 7.5%, Octocrylene 6.0%, Titanium Dioxide 3.0% Other Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cocoglycerides, Diisopropyl Sebacate, Glyceryl Stearate, Lauryl Lactate, PEG-100 Stearate, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Pelvetia Canaliculata Extract, Ectoin, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Passiflora Incarnata Extract, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Sodium PCA, Panthenol, Tripleurospermum Maritima Extract, Sodium Myristoyl Sarcosinate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phospholipids, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Chitosan Ascorbate, Betaine, Sorbitol, Glycine, Alanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Arginine, Lysine, Glutamic Acid, Zinc Gluconate, Ethyl Linoleate, Cetyl Phosphate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 6 (CI 15985), Red 33 (CI 17200)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have to start by saying that for a long time I was not a fan of Murad in general. I tried a product that claimed to even skin tone and reduce discolorations and it did nothing for me, and I wrote off the line.

However, Murad samples I've received from Sephora recently have been pleasantly surprising to me. It started with a daily exfoliating wash, and now it is this moisturizer.

A bit about me -- I am in my early 40s with very fair skin and I flat out will not use a daily moisturizer without a minimum SPF of 25. I have been using sunscreen in my daily moisturizer since my early 20s, and while I wish the research on photo aging would have come out when I was even younger, I do feel my skin has benefited from the sun protection I've given it as an adult. I think I generally look my age but I do have people tell me often that they are surprised I am in my 40s.

My skin is super dry, and especially in the winter, I typically need an oil-based moisturizer to prevent scaling and flaking. Perhaps because this winter has been so unseasonably warm, I have not yet started experiencing these typical effects. So it could be that this moisturizer won't be sufficient under harsh climate circumstances.

But for now I am really liking its lightweight yet effective formulation, which spreads and penetrates easily, and leaves my skin hydrated and fresh -- neither matte nor dewy, but healthy, even and glowy. Just last week someone told me that looking at my skin made her decide to go have a spa day and get a facial. That got my attention!

I have no issues with "sunscreen smell" or texture. I just think of sunscreen as part of what I get out of my daily moisturizing. But for me, this certainly has no whitish residue or other sunscreen related issues. I like the packaging in the tube -- it is easy to dispense the amount I need, and while this isn't hermetically sealed, I like that prevents me from needing to touch/contaminate the product with my fingers.

on 10/13/2015 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

During the early stages of pregnancy I struggled with my skin. I went to Sephora and tried several products. Finally I found Murad. This moisturizer was perfect for my combination skin. It didn't make me break out, or make my skin feel greasy. I love the fact that is has a nice soft citrus scent and absorbs quickly. I almost always wear foundation (out of habit) and foundation glides nicely over top, no pilling. I have been using the product since March 2015 and I find my skin just keeps improving with its use. I really feel that it works well, I don't have to reapply moisturizer during the day etc.

To Read all 31 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/3/2015 9:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

WOw, I am surprised so many people aren't digging this product. I think this is an excellent choice for sun protection. What impresses me most about this sunscreen is that it really is more of a moisturizer than standard sunscreen (no stinky sunscreen smell - very faint and does fade), even though it truly is both. I am also highly impressed by the fact this contains so many wonderful antioxidant and skin loving ingredients (even though this shouldn't surprise me since its touted more as a moisturizer than straight up sunscreen).

Pros:
Excellent UV/UA protection
Tons of additional anti-oxidants; more than a sunscreen, it's also a skin rejuvenator.
Doesn't smell overpoweringly like sunscreen - just a little and it fades. Major plus and rarity.
Goes on smooth like a lotion (not patchy like sunscreen usually does)
Not tacky or sticky at all
Works well under foundation
Claims to hold in water/retain moisture
Works well for light moisture
Good for all types of skin, but best for normal/combo/oily.

Cons:
Fairly expensive at $60.00 for 1.7 0z.
Not moisturizing enough for those with really dry skin or dry skin.
I wish the UV/UA protection level was higher.

I think (scratch that - am fairly positive) anyone with normal to oily skin who tries this will like it. The only reason I personally will not continue using this as a daily sunscreen is bc A) I started using Retin A for anti-aging, and I feel more comfortable with a protection level of 50 or above and B) my skin is extremely dry and requires more moisture than this offers. But if I were not using RA this would be an HG for me, hands down!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

After finishing the samples of this I had received I decided to go ahead and get the full sized bottle. I actually really do like this moisturizer. I don't like to wear it alone so I tend to mix a bit of my everyday moisturizer with it and then apply it. Personally, I don't need to much. I use probably a bit more than a pea sized amount with the same amount of my usual moisturizer and I find it to work out really well.
It does have a sunscreen scent but it tends to disappear within a minute or two. This sunscreen is on the pricey side but this is the first sunscreen that I have actually liked. I find that others can be too drying or oily but I rarely have that problem with this one. When I run out I will most likely be repurchasing it.

I'm on my second full-sized tube of this after initially getting a sample from Sephora. It's my everyday morning moisturizer. I love the scent, the lightweight formula, and the spf. To me, it does its job well and I'm growing accustomed to it, though I do wish it weren't so pricey.

on 3/11/2014 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Meh. Just OK - and way too expensive. I am sticking with Skinceuticals and BeautiControl for now. Non occlusive and benign. Smells nice.

on 2/11/2014 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I bought this from Ulta because they have an awesome return policy. I tried it for about a month--it was okay, nothing special. For $60 I wanted to be wowed, but instead, I was pretty underwhelmed. It also made my eyes sting during the day no matter how far away I put the product from my eyes, but that is seeming to be pretty common for me as I've been trying different moisturizers w/ sunscreen. I chose this sunscreen in particular because it is free of parabens. I also have a small bit of pigmentation from an old pimple. I can't comment on if this lightened it up any because I was also given the matching cleanser for free during a promotion. I used that with my Clarisonic and I think it helped brighten my skin. Needless to say, I returned the sunscreen and I'm sticking with my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer sunscreen for now (even though, sadly, it has parabens).

Anyway, I have oily skin and the Murad contributed to that but not horribly. I didn't have any adverse effects from it such as pimples. It is not very moisturizing, probably best to be used during the summer. I liked the fact that it has Vitamin C in it, but, as someone else mentioned, it's a bit odd that it's not in a dark-colored container. If you have the money, it wouldn't hurt to try it. But for my student budget it was too pricy for little benefit to me so I returned it.

on 12/7/2013 2:40:00 PM

Where to begin... This is not moisturizing enough, it does not brighten the complexion, you need to apply it generously to get adequate sun protection, and the price is ridiculous. This is a very, very average product. Do not waste your money.

on 11/17/2013 1:07:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Good: I've been using this for about a couple of months now and I'm enjoying it. I love the way it keeps my skin hydrated throughout the day.
I have not had any breakouts or feeling of slimy oily skin.
I enjoy the light scent of citrus as i put this on each morning. Other than my coconut oil this is pretty much all i use for a daily moisturiser now.

Bad: I think it's a bit pricey really (over $100 here in New Zealand), but i'll buy it again at a cheaper price (Ebay).

on 10/13/2013 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have extremely dry skin and this stuff was so greasy and sticky it made me look like an oily teenager. Never seems to absorb fully. I much prefer Neutrogena or Aveeno for SPF for my face. This stuff is comparable to something you'd grab at the dollar store.