Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

2.8

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 10/16/2018 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

My hair did not come out at all.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I purchased the shade 4RV along with their 10 volume developer as I was looking to darken my hair from my current color which is a level 6 light brown to a nice dark burgundy wine shade for Fall.

First I sprayed my hair from the mid-shaft to the ends with Zotos Porosity Equalizer since my hair was previously lightened. Then I mixed 1 tube of the 4RV (2 oz) with 2 oz of developer since the instructions said to deepen color use a 1:1 ratio. I applied it to my roots first and then went back and did my mid shaft to ends and processed for 25 minutes.

As I suspected the color initially came out SUPER dark, especially at my roots. It was almost black with a burgundy tint in the light however after a couple of washes with head and shoulders my hair is now a dark burgundy shade although it took a bit longer for my roots to lighten up. So in future I'd color all of my hair at the same time so it processes evenly.

Now that I have the shade I desire I am washing my root area with sulfate free shampoo every 3-4 days and using Pantene CC on my mid shafts to ends since red fades quickly and plan to use the Ion Color Brilliance Temporary Color Masque in Hot Red to see if it helps to keep the color vibrant.

My hair is so shiny and healthy looking and I've gotten tons of compliments since coloring my hair. I plan on purchasing their 4RV in the permanent line when my roots start to show but will be using the demi permanent color to refresh the lengths of my hair to minimize unnecessary damage.. For color refreshing the instructions recommend mixing a 1:2 ratio (so for me it will be 1 oz of color to 2 oz of developer). Overall I'm super happy with the results. I have before and after pictures in my gallery.

This review is for women who use black dye and are allergic or think they may be to PPD. Skip to the bottom for the review otherwise.

I have very dark brown hair that I dye black (roots, only) every two weeks with a demi dye. Then a semi-permanent dye is used all through my hair every week. It's a lot of upkeep and I'm always looking for different dyes that promise jet black hair so I have been the happiest with Wella's Colour Charm demi-permanent dye.
I'll do a fast comparison between this dye and the other Sally Beauty Supply dyes, as well as discussing the PPD aspect.
PPD is a dye used everywhere from hair colour to printer ink that is in highest concentrations in black hair dye. It's the reason why Bigen dye is feared by many- because it's levels of PPD are so high that it can trigger a horrible attack in people who have not known they were allergic to PPD. I have used Bigen and it was great but worked no better than the demi-permanent colours I'm discussing here so use that at your own risk!
I have had my hair blonde and then red with no scalp irritation (these colors do not use PPD). When I started dyeing my hair black years ago I didn't not have scalp irritation either, for several years. But then I have noticed in the last year that as soon as I apply the dye on my scalp I would have some stinging and for days after I would have an itchy dry scalp. I thought maybe it was the peroxide so after doing research I decided to change dyes to see if that helped. I always used the lowest developer as I was depositing colour, not lifting (10 volume or lower when possible). It was not the peroxide that was bothering me, it was the PPD. It's worth noting that PPD won't always irritate your skin during a skin patch test. My patch tests were fine, the only time I knew something was wrong was the progressive worsening of itchy, painful scalp when dyeing and lots of hair loss with otherwise healthy hair.

For years before the PPD allergy flaring up, I have used Wella Colour Charm. My favourite and trusty dye for years. Colour 1N is the darkest black I have found and very neutral. The water runs purple which means the dye is well-balanced. I hate colouring to find the water is running green! (Manic Panic Raven) The dye doesn't smell as nice as others but the colour stays forever and processes very quickly. Downside is your hair must be towel dried to start. And my scalp itches the most with this dye, I believe because it's SO black the PPD levels are higher causing irritation. But the dye is great and cost mere dollars to use.

Clairol Radiance demi-permanent dye is the
second choice dye for me. It is a neutral black, smells absolutely gorgeous. Wella is not harsh at all and Clairol is super gentle with even more so than Wella. My scalp is still irritated and itchy with this but I adore this dye and it gives me very shiny hair before it fades, much faster than Wella.

I have used Redken Shades EQ which was not memorable at all for me. One n Only's Argan Oil dye was the same, in fact it seemed more harsh than any other dye I have used and the colour was not as black as Wella. Then came Goldwell Elumen (the Elumen-trained stylist applied the chunky jell nightmare but the colour wouldn't stick at all).

I started looking into PPD-free dyes as I know a PPD allergy can only get progressively worse and I didn't want my black hair to put me in the hospital one day.
I saw the now discontinued Nice and Easy dye was PPD free, but drug store developers in boxed dyes are far too harsh anyways. Online, PPD-free dye was going for $30-50 a box! The reviews for these dyes were worse than the prices... Just as I was putting off bleaching my hair back to a "safer" colour like light brown, I saw the only demi dye in Sally''s that I had not tried and by a brand I had written off.
Ion Colour Brilliance promised PPD free demi-permanent color. Even in the colour #1- Blue Black. Which is what I got even though I don't look good in blue black. I figured in a few days it would wash the blue out and leave me jet black, anyways. The dye and low volume developer were two dollars cheaper than any other dye as well- $6 for a two month supply! The creme is a bit runny but smells okay, a bit citrusy/floral? The creme does take forever to start turning dark so don't be alarmed. I was using it to deposit only on my roots only so I used a 1:1 ratio on dry hair. I don't know about the other complaints of this doing nothing because when I rinsed it out the colour was very black and incredibly shiny! I couldn't believe a PPD free dye could be so dark. My scalp did not sting at all during dyeing process and my head is not itchy at all today for the first time in years. The colour is not actually Blue Black. But it's a very dark black which will satisfy any raven lover. Especially those who thought black hair wasn't possible with a PPD allergy. I will miss Wella and Clairol but I think I'll stay with this colour from now on, for safety's sake.
I will update with how well the colour holds. I also bought the the semi-permanent rinse colour from the same line so I'll update on how that revitalised my all-over hair colour in between root touch ups.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Worst hair color I've ever tried. I have medium brown hair and I used the blue black dye. I tried dying my hair, following all directions and after 25 minutes, I rinse my hair and what so I find? NONE of the color took to my hair. Wtf. I'm beyond pissed but decide to try again because I want my black hair. I follow directions, however I'm forced to add more of the pigment (tube) than normal. Then I reapply and leave on for 10 minutes longer than suggested. Finally, after all this, my hair is black.
Two months later, I still have half left and it's time for another dye job. Guess what? THE SAME THING HAPPENS!!! I have to color my hair TWICE just to get black! I'm never ever using this product again. I regret ever straying from Wella Colorx charm. If you're looking for a semi permanent hair dye, go for Wella!!! Not this crap!

on 11/3/2010 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I tried Ion demi-permanent twice, and I'll probaby be going back to Wella Color Charm. I have very long hair past my bum, dark brown/soft black with some grey. I was really hoping that it would cover my grey and not do too much damage. For some reason - and I did the 1:1 ratio as well as used Ardell's grey magic, which normally works like a charm - my hair color washed out both times (even with "color safe" shampoo). Too bad... it made my hair very shiny, though!