Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.9

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 10/16/2018 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

My hair did not come out at all.

I used this for the first time just now and I’m shocked. I was certain that I would be making an appt tomorrow with my stylist to fix a f*ck up. I used the demi-permanent 4N shade, which was close to the same color in another brand my hair stylist had used on me. I had about an inch of roots, and my natural hair color is about a level 7. My goal was to darken my roots and refresh my overall color. I mixed the color with the ion 10 volume developer (2 oz color to 4oz developer). I sectioned my hair and used a brush and bowl to put the dye on a section at a time, then I rubbed it all in like you would shampoo. I left it in for 30 mins after doing a strand test on a small section underneath my hair. I could tell before I even washed it out after 30 mins that everything was going to turn out ok. I rinsed it and washed it, and then I used L’Oréal damage erasing balm to condition. After blow drying and using my usual leave-ins, it looked pretty darn ok. My roots were blended with the rest of the hair and it is all pretty even. It’s not super shiny and soft, but it doesn’t feel more damaged either. I’m pretty happy with it. I think next time I will use permanent on the roots though. I would buy this again for sure.

on 8/25/2016 7:57:00 PM

I deleted previous favorable review because as I have continued to use it (pale ash blond) on my brassy incorrectly hairlighted hair (virgin hair level 6) I have seen that it actually LIGHTENED my virgin grow out hair one shade to made my virgin hair a brassy orange...I had no idea it could do this!! Horrible!! That sets me back in growing out my subdued natural haircolor for many more months. Am disappointed. However, on previously highlighted hair; yes, beware, it can darken a LOT, but, used with care and proper timing, it is a good product. Comments appreciated~. Thx. (PS: I used 10 volume developer only.)
...Spent time and thoughts studying WHAT was lightening my precious virgin ash blond hair and have discovered it may have NOT been any Ion demi, but John Frieda cool blond gloss...Have read it can/will lighten natural color..even one shade lighter on fine (level 6) hair can turn it ORANGE. Darn.

I got this in the shade 4rv to help tone down the hot pink roots I got from using L'oreal HiColor Magenta. That was an error on my part as I've used it plenty before except this time I used a higher level developer (40 instead of my usual 30/20) and left it on my roots for a few minutes too long. So the lengths of my hair were a beautiful red velvet cake red shade but the roots were a bit of a brighter pink. Nothing unbearable or anything but I wanted to even it out. So I went back to Sally's and used the hair samples to find a shade that matched my lengths and this one, 4rv burgundy brown, was the closest. All I had to do was mix 1 tablespoon of the color with 1oz of Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer Crème 10 volume and use my tinting brush to apply it to my roots. Left it on for 15 minutes, then rinsed and applied my usual conditioner mix (Matrix Conditioning Balm + Manic Panic Vampire Red for color depositing) all over and let that sit for 10 minutes in the shower. Now my roots and hair are all the same color! This is a life saver. And I have enough for several more applications after this inevitably fades since it's a demi perm. Cheap, does its job and does it well. What more could I ask for?

on 11/16/2015 11:05:00 PM

I spent a ton of time researching this before I used it and am HUGELY grateful for the advice and comments below - so I was well prepared to expect 2 shades darker, etc. So true!

I'm naturally a 5 or so but have been using box Color in mostly 6s for a few years. My hair just hadn't looked healthy or natural and I've wanted to come up with an easy way to do my hair at home without destroying it. I chose 6nb with a 10 vol and used a 1:2 ratio.

I did the strand/allergy test and was prepared to go one level darker based on the results. it ended up being a rich color halfway between a 4 and a 5 if I was buying a box color from the drugstore. I love it - the process itself was a little stressful as the cream is more difficult to apply and I wasn't sure that 2 oz of color and 4 oz of developer was enough. It was - just barely. If your hair is longer than shoulder length I'd buy 2 packages to be on the safe side. I am so used to overwhelming dye smells but this product had no powerful odours and didn't sting at all. I have psoriasis so colouring my hair usually really hurts. This was a breeze!!!

So far I'm very very happy - but would want to echo other comments re going darker. Be careful if you expect dark blonde to look "typically blonde" - it's a lovely chocolate brown.

on 3/7/2014 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This didn't work at all for me. I have naturally dark brown hair. Recently I bleached it a couple of times, and the last time it ended up bright orange/yellow. A little unevenly bleached, but overall very, very light. I thought this should be light enough to tone to a dark blonde (any tone but red). I purchased the Ion Demi in both 9 Ash and 7 Ash (There's no ash version in 8). I combined them 3/4 of 9 to 1/4 7 (the people at Ion said this would make an 8 Ash). This darkened my hair considerably and made it auburn color. I don't know why so many ashy colors are violet based. Violet has red in it, and will deepen the red. And blue is a very dark hue. Both will destroy gold. But I LIKE a little gold. I just don't like red! I'm so desperate to find something green based, that I'm almost willing to try something crazy like Manic Panic green, even though it's not meant to look natural. Otherwise I guess I have to bleach my hair to near white, before I can make it a light brown/dark blonde that's not auburn looking. There has to be a way.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff saved me! Let me tell you how before I get into a technical review.
I have been getting my hair dyed since I was 13/14 anywhere from almost black to milky blonde (I wish it was still milky blonde hah!). I started cosmetology school in 2011 and was going to a wedding and got my hair dyed very dark brown only to wake up the next day to swelling on my scalp, itchy blotchy skin and my lymph nodes were the size of grapes under my skin. I went to the emergency room and they told me I had an allergic reaction to the hair dye, to which I said "I do hair! I've been getting my hair dyed for years and I dye hair everyday... I cannot be allergic to hair dye." - Boy, was I wrong. After another week of severe pain and itching and washing my hair 50+ times, I found an article online about PPD reactions and I was the textbook case! I felt hopeless...

I was in school to be a hairdresser and I am suddenly allergic to hair dye... Great.

So I let my natural hair grow out for over a year (yikes) before I was brave enough to find two professional hair dyes that didn't contain PPD and let me feel pretty again and ION COLOR BRILLIANCE DEMI PERMANENT WAS ONE OF THEM! WOO YEAH!

PACKAGING: Cardboard box - Coated metal tube holding 2 oz of product - Purple plastic screw on lid with poking device to open metal seal.

COLOR SELECTION: If you're using this for yourself, the color selection is enough but I find as a stylist that I would like a wider variety of colors if I chose to use this on clients (I currently don't because I can't do color correction with the colors available).

TEXTURE/SMELL: If used with the ION Sensitive Scalp developer (I highly reccomend) this stuff smells like Granny Smith Apples! No joke... It's one of the least offensive hair dye smells I have ever come across. I do find it hard to mix in a hurry, you need to slowly add the developer (your choice of 2oz or 4oz depending on your need) and mix a lot to get a smooth texture or my suggestion is to buy a mini whisk which will cut back on the mixing time tremendously. It is pretty thick and creamy and easy to spread without being too watery.

LASTING POWER: This stuff isn't permanent, but it's the closest I've ever come to permanent haircolor. I use 3+4N and althought it does wash out a but, it lasts months. Just because it is demi doesn't mean it will eventually come out of your hair, so be careful not to get a lot of color buildup or you'll have a hard time lightening your hair if you decide to. I don't reccomend using a dark demi permanent color along with very light highlights as there is a big chance for color transfer onto your beautiful blonde streaks which might ruin them. With demi haircolor, it is always best to shampoo in luke warm to cold water which will DRAMATICALLY increase the life of your haircolor. For me, it's around 6-9 weeks.

AVAILABILITY: Luckily for everybody, this is avaible at Sally's which means anybody can walk up and buy it!

PRICE: Cost at Sally's is $4.99 online without a discount. For the developer, I seriously, seriously think you should try the ION Sensitive Scalp 10 volume cream developer and a bottle enough for two applications is only $3.19.

TIPS: Wash hair in cool water - Wash hair as least frequent as possible - Don't use a dark demi permanet color along with light blonde highlights as it may bleed - 3N is basically black so be warned ahead of time - Use 4oz instead of 2oz developer - With demi hair color you will see some color the first week of washing so don't be alarmed.

RESULTS: Very shiny hair! Some hair color can leave you looking flat but this has something in it that makes the hair very, very shiny after dying. Of course, it won't stay that way without touch ups, but for the first 3 weeks it is very shiny. I have found that the colors run a tad darker on your actual hair than the hair samples at the store, so if you're wanting brown or dark brown hair, I would NOT go darker than a 4. I use a 3 mixed and it turns it very, very dark.

This product is a great hair dye for those who have a PPD allergy or those who don't even want to risk it and go for something more gentle. Perfect for people who like a "real" hairdye but not so scary and doesn't have a 100+ color selection so it's great for beginners.

on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

on 8/27/2013 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This color is very gentle to hair and very natural looking. You must go up two levels as results are dark. I use medium blonde natural to get a light brown on my dark brown hair with over 50% gray. I leave color on roots for 45 minutes, and 5 to 10 minutes on the lengths of my hair. I get perfect gray coverage. I like the fact that it fades so I don't get that stark contrast with gray/white roots. I color every 3 weeks for root coverage, so fading is not an issue. I use Ion Daily Repair Conditioner (which is fabulous) and my hair is in great shape.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Worst hair color I've ever tried. I have medium brown hair and I used the blue black dye. I tried dying my hair, following all directions and after 25 minutes, I rinse my hair and what so I find? NONE of the color took to my hair. Wtf. I'm beyond pissed but decide to try again because I want my black hair. I follow directions, however I'm forced to add more of the pigment (tube) than normal. Then I reapply and leave on for 10 minutes longer than suggested. Finally, after all this, my hair is black.
Two months later, I still have half left and it's time for another dye job. Guess what? THE SAME THING HAPPENS!!! I have to color my hair TWICE just to get black! I'm never ever using this product again. I regret ever straying from Wella Colorx charm. If you're looking for a semi permanent hair dye, go for Wella!!! Not this crap!

Popular Hair Color Products