Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

4.2

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 6/4/2017 10:57:00 AM

Do not buy this product and expect to get the color from the swatch. I decided to go for 7WR, applying it over my very light brown hair, expecting to get an orange-auburn color. Instead, I got very close to black ! I will not use this product again as it is deceiving.

on 6/20/2016 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had very light brown hair with a ton of red tones from previous lightening. I used 6n with red/gold corrector and 10 vol developer. I wanted to go a bit darker, medium brown. I spoke to the employee at Sally and she first suggested 5n, but after I explained how porous my hair was and I knew Ion went dark easily, we decided on 6n. 6n is "dark blonde". I used a 1:1 ratio just like the instructions stated for "deepening."

The Sally employee told me to leave it on for 45 minutes. My strand test was on for 30 minutes and turned brown. It seemed fine, so I applied it on my whole head. I did the roots first since they were the most red. Then I did the lengths and rinsed after 30 minutes. My hair was jet black.

After more research the two things I would suggest to prevent this are to leave it on porous hair for a very short time, and/or use a protein filler. I always read reviews that said "OMG IT TURNED MY HAIR BLACK" and thought they just didn't know what they were doing. Well, I'm not a professional, but I'm also not a dummy, and yes, it turned my hair black too.

I couldn't believe a blonde hair dye turned my hair that dark. I expected a brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was because I had used their high lift blondes years ago and they were awesome. But I would never recommend this brand if you have porous hair and do not want to go very dark.

I purchased this in the shade 9na. Since i heard demis run dark, i was expecting a level 7 or 8. I applied this all over my blonde roots to create an subtle ombre effect. After 10 or 15 min, i noticed the color turning into a sandy brown so i rinsed it out. My results were a toned ashy blonde. It was no darker than before. This is a nice shade to tone brassy blondes. Ill use this to tone next time i bleach!

I am an avid at home, DYI hair person. I had recently dyed my hair a medium blonde, and toned it with Wella T-27. I decided to get away from permanent dyes, and try Demi instead. I am glad I did this, and read reviews because I achieved a beautiful level 8 medium natural/golden blonde by choosing a level 10 Demi. Make sure you choose a shade that's 2 levels lighter than what you are trying to achieve. Blonde is difficult, but try to make it close to your natural level, and you should be good to go.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ok gang, I initially had a list of pros and cons and gave this line from Ion a not-so-nice review but have since changed my tune.

I will say this first; this demi color (as with any dye) will vary in result based off your beginning color, hair health, and application. Duh. Ok that being said, I have had a recent awesome result but previously not very awesome results and while I may veer away from blaming of thyself (i.e. unlikely expectations and lack of knowledge) it is also my nonprofessional and trial with [extreme] error experience that the lighter colors in this line [blondes, light browns, lighter reds] don't tend to yield best results.

Again, I am a salon and stylist of my bathroom therefore all of my conclusions are drawn from common sense and personal experience

Moving on...
I recently had light brown hair with highlights. The orange/red undertones kept rearing their ugly head so I decided Fuck It, let's go with that. Well sort of. Mixed 3rv [labeled as Idk what; reddish brown violet] 10.volume developer and ions type for olaplex additive.
Left on for 25 minutes, rinsed and hair was very dark nearly black but with a nice burgundy tint.
After a couple of washes, now have this gorgeous dark red/deep burgundy color. Highlighted hair obviously lighter but still holding color giving a well blended effect.
What impressed me most was the quality my hair was left in. Glossy, voluminous, soft, tangle free. And I know this isn't the olaplex dupe because I use that in conjunction with wella or loreal and it's still dry and brittle.
No, my hair is actually better altering coloring. And it is beautiful.

Being fair skinned and naturally a ginger- tho who knows at this point- the dark red looks fantastic and I've gotten many a compliment.

Now, this positivity train does make a couple unpleasant stops. The color is still rinsing out hence pink water, stained pillowcases, And fear for potential rainy days and the whole Bleeding From My Scalp look which may put some people off.
However, I'll take it.
I would not switch from this color. Which is saying a lot since I'm a habitual changer of products

First timer and I really like it. Was told to go a step lighter than my natural shade. While it looks great, next time will do some mixing and go a step and a half lighter. But very pleased with the color and results. Great gray coverage and I'm probably 50-60%. Hair has depth and shine. Initially when my scalp and face started to break out in blisters when professionally colored in the salon, my colorist insisted that my problem was the developer. But I'd done my research, and knew it was the PPD. I used Jazzing prior to this and despite using heat and leaving on for almost 90 min, it just barely took. This product is exactly what I was looking for- takes beautifully.

on 2/26/2014 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought ion demi color to use for year while I was dying my hair darker. I always use demi when going darker to only deposit color and little damage to hair. I have found good color combos to use with ion. I wanted a pretty meduim auburn shade. I used 9ng with 4rc, light natural golden blonde and medium copper brown. Beautiful auburn shade. I added the blond with it so it didn't come out too dark. perfect. The shades do run a bit dark. I mix ratio 2:1 with volume 10 developer. Buy a shade or 2 lighter then what you want, but it is shiny and long lasting. I find I use the 9ng a lot as mixing shade so ash tonesare not too ashy and same with neutrals. The neutrals are nice on own though. The 9ng is not very light a name suggests. More a medium to dark golden blond FYI. More yellow gold rather than red though. That is why i mix, to not get too much red if I want a darker golden brown. Buy neutral brown and add golden blond.

on 7/3/2013 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

9NA Very Light Ash Blonde. Been using this as a toner on pre-lightened hair for more than a year now. I am very satisfied with the results. It's not too harsh, considering I have to bleach my roots and tone every 6 weeks. My hair has remained strong and the color lasts for the whole 6 weeks. I use a 20 vol. developer, comes out exactly like I want it every time, fades evenly and unnoticeably.

I would suggest, if you're using a blonde shade of demi, to pre-lighten your hair to the level closest to the demi color, then use the color as a toner to darken and give depth. It's a demi, it's not going to be able to lift your hair color. What it will do is change the tone, and give depth to hair that is otherwise flat or washed out.

on 9/29/2012 7:27:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I bought this at Sally's Beauty Salon and was impressed with the coverage. I chose light reddish brown and it came out a medium cranberry auburn color - a little artificial at first but more natural looking after about a week. The color is intense and lasts longer than any other demi-permanent including Wella and Goldwell. I used the 10% sensitive scalp developer and left it on the roots 30 minutes, ran it through the rest of the hair, and left it on another 15 minutes. I then washed it out and used the ION shampoo and conditioner afterward. I am over 50% gray and this covered my grays and white hairs completely. Other than the slightly artificial shade for a few days, this product really delivers at an unbelievably reasonable price. I highly recommend it.

on 8/13/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have had so much luck with this Demi. It took me about 1 year to get the color mixture just right to tone down my highlights. I mix half a tube of Clear Shine with a full tube of 9NA (very light ash blonde) with the 10V developer, and get a beautiful ash blonde glaze to cover my super bright highlights. I usually leave the color on for 15 mins with no heat and I love the results. Its totally true about the color running quite dark, but i do find that the clear helps to dilute the color and makes my hair translucent and shiny. I will definitely continue using this as I love the results, not to mention the price. My hair always looks salon fresh and really healthy without having to shell out major bucks.