Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.6

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 2/21/2017 2:08:00 AM

I like this as a way to cover my grey; its long lasting but not permanent, and adds a little shine. I also appreciate being able to customize my shade by mixing different shades - each tube lasts awhile and so I keep a couple of colors on hand and mix fresh each time and tweak the shade as needed. One big warning- the color goes on darker than the swatch , and I recommend going 2 shades lighter than the result you want. I'm about a level 4-5 naturally, and I buy the dark blonde or medium blonde (level 6-7) to get a medium brown. The level 5n made my hair REALLY dark brown (level 2, maybe 2.5-3)

My hair is naturally about a level 5 brunette with neutral undertones, some gold, some ash. Pretty neutral. It pulls orange when lifted though. I recently have been getting some grays at the young age of 24. It's probably genetics but I was over seeing the stark white hairs against my dark natural color. So a couple months ago I got highlights. They looked good at first, but over time they began looking more brassy and still were not blending the gray well. So I decided to color over my half virgin half highlighted hair with a Demi. I chose the color 6n dark natural blonde because of the previous reviews warning to pick a lighter shade. I wish I would have chosen a 7 level because it has come out too dark. Also, the undertones are quite red. My hair is down to my waist so I bought two packages of color and did a 1:1 ratio with 10 volume developer which is the suggestion for 100% gray coverage. My grays are still slightly visible despite the 1:1 ratio. They look more like highlighted strands which doesn't exactly look right compared to the DARK head of hair they lie against. I guess it's because the white hairs turned the dark natural blonde the color is but color on color made the rest of my hair go to about a level 3 or 4. If I redo my hair in the future, I will choose a level 7, more ash, and probably do a 1:2 ratio instead. It's a good product but with how incredibly off the swatches are, I am happy it isn't permanent and honestly can't wait until it starts to fade. Now I'm just scared it will fade to an awful red color because of how red it looks when light hits it! It wasn't even from the red copper line of colors to choose from.

on 6/20/2016 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had very light brown hair with a ton of red tones from previous lightening. I used 6n with red/gold corrector and 10 vol developer. I wanted to go a bit darker, medium brown. I spoke to the employee at Sally and she first suggested 5n, but after I explained how porous my hair was and I knew Ion went dark easily, we decided on 6n. 6n is "dark blonde". I used a 1:1 ratio just like the instructions stated for "deepening."

The Sally employee told me to leave it on for 45 minutes. My strand test was on for 30 minutes and turned brown. It seemed fine, so I applied it on my whole head. I did the roots first since they were the most red. Then I did the lengths and rinsed after 30 minutes. My hair was jet black.

After more research the two things I would suggest to prevent this are to leave it on porous hair for a very short time, and/or use a protein filler. I always read reviews that said "OMG IT TURNED MY HAIR BLACK" and thought they just didn't know what they were doing. Well, I'm not a professional, but I'm also not a dummy, and yes, it turned my hair black too.

I couldn't believe a blonde hair dye turned my hair that dark. I expected a brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was because I had used their high lift blondes years ago and they were awesome. But I would never recommend this brand if you have porous hair and do not want to go very dark.

on 9/2/2013 4:48:00 PM

Okay, today I'm trying the 4RV. I purchased the 3RV and the 4RV because I was torn between how dark I wanted this. But after reading reviews it appears that the color comes out darker so I went with the 4RV for now.
I do have the coppola keratin treatment and I have it redone every 3-4 months. I usually wait after two weeks of the treatment before I color my hair. I used the color, processed for 25 minutes, with the 1:1 ratio, after deciphering that I only wanted to deepen my tone I had. I did the light shampoo as directed. I then used the Ion After Color treatment let it sit for about 5 minutes then followed up with the Ion Deep Daily conditioning for color-treated hair. My hair is so soft and manageable right now. I love the color its actually a deep burgandy tone (which is where the old color was) and then a dark brown/almost black. I'm so happy with this

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My hair is naturally dark brown, with a lot of gray. I love demi permanents but don't need the box, the gloves and conditioner. I love, love, love Ion Brilliance! I color every two or three weeks, and mix 1 tablespoon 5N Light Natural Brown and 1 tablespoon 4N Medium Natural Brown with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the Ion Brilliance Sensitive Scalp 10 volume developer (3% peroxide). This combo ends up the perfect dark brown (comparable to a drugstore color's "Medium Ash Brown" or "Medium Natural Brown"). I mix it in a bowl and apply with a coloring brush, parting the hair with a rat-tail comb (using Costco disposable gloves). This takes time, versus dumping it onto your hair directly from the bottle, but this way I am able to cover everything strategically and not waste color. It smells very gentle and pleasant. I leave it in for 30-40 minutes, rinse out and put in my own conditioner. This gives me excellent gray coverage; shiny hair; and natural-looking color. I buy the color and developer on sale at Sally's and it is much cheaper and much better quality than drugstore color, but you have to be willing to measure and mix it yourself. For a young person looking for dramatic color change, this might not be the thing, but for me it is perfect. I read somewhere that drugstore demi permanents come with 20 volume developer (6% peroxide) so that they only take 10 minutes to work, and consequently they smell very harsh and I feel that they leave a line of demarcation that this does not. Hint: Wait until you are done coloring before rinsing out your color bowl and brush, so you can re-do any wisps at the hairline that did not get covered.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really liked this dye. I have medium chocolate brown hair and due to heat styling regularly and using bleach (ombre, past highlights) my hair was several shades of brown. I went out and purchased Medium Warm Brown (4W) hoping to keep the same depth of color, but make my hair one solid color.

I first used Ion Color Corrector to lift any color buildup from my hair, blow dried and then used Ion Pre-Color Treatment all over my hair to even the porosity of my hair for even color (mainly so I won't get light roots and dark ends). I used a Tangle Teezer to evenly coat my hair.

Then I applied the dye as directed with 10 volume developer. I left it in for 25 minutes (which could have been too long, but by the 20 minute mark my roots didn't look dark enough - since they were super light from the color corrector).

Well, I ended up with fabulous, even color.. but the only thing wrong is that my hair is JET BLACK. Much more like a level 2. Way darker than what I wanted.

Most reviews say to pick a shade that is two shades lighter than what you want. Make sure to do that. I will repurchase this brand of hair dye, but I will for sure go two shades lighter for medium-dark brown.

Also, this dye stains the skin worse than any other dye I have used. Make sure to use vaseline around your hairline.

on 9/27/2012 9:02:00 AM

First off, I want to say that I usually have a hard time keeping my hair red.That all changed when I found this.I got it in Light burgundy blonde & I love it! I don't wash my hair everyday.I wash every other day.I use Reviting Reds Shampoo & Cond. from Sallys Beauty.I also use Beyond the Zone,Turn up the red color gloss.If u have red colored, u have to keep it up.I do hair to,so I know alot about hair.If u have bleached hair,u would have to leave this on about 45 mins.Bleached hair fades when u color over it.On another note,I don't have to recolor my yet.It's been a month.I usally have to color or do something just after a week.I don't have to with this product.It's way less damage than reg. hair color.

on 11/13/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I gave this a shot after reading a ton of reviews and shelling out $90 a pop for 2 color treatments in 6 weeks both of which left me with my grays back in full force 2 weeks later. I can't afford to see my stylist every 2-3 weeks without filing for divorce & drug store touch up products gave me crap results. The reviews on here were VERY helpful Especially the specifics by Twiggy. TY! I have dark brown hair both naturally and after professional color and decided to go with the 5N and 6N she used in her photo but shorted the dark blond just a tad and added just a bit of the clear gloss for the 2ozs of color. I also added about 15 drops of the gray magic before mixing in 2ozs of the 10 developer for sensitive scalp and applied it all using the brush/bowl method starting at the roots. I combed everything through with a wide tooth comb after everything was covered to make sure my hair was evenly coated and waited 30 min. There was no bad smell during my wait and my scalp didn't burn or itch. While this did take forever to rinse out in the shower it did not stain my scalp or the areas I hit by mistake with the brush. I bought a sample packet of the Ion deep conditioner that the SA recommended but I wasn't impressed and added some Chi color care conditioner to my final rinse. I was surprised that after my first rinse my hair felt rougher than I expected but it felt and looked great after the conditioning and blow dry. The color came out the same rich deep brown I get in the salon and my grays were completely covered. If this lasts longer than 2 weeks and doesn't wreck my hair I may be able to go back to coloring every 2-3 months again. For all 3 colors, the developer, a color bowl and brush, a single use pack of gray magic and the conditioner I spent just over $20 and I still have color and developer left.
*Update* The day after trying this I washed and conditioned and my hair felt pretty roughed up. I've only had this experience using one other at home permanent hair color and I'm pretty surprised to get this kind of damage from a Demi. I don't want to knock off a lippie yet though because I did add a small amount of Gray Magic that I believe contains ammonia. That could be the problem. Also the Ion conditioner pack that the SA recommended was not specific to post color. Alcohol is the first 2 ingredients on the list and it looks and feels like vaseline. I should have checked before I bought but I was in a rush. My hair feels better after an overnight oil treatment. Since this delivered excellent color I may give this product a shot again but I'll leave out the Gray Magic and make sure I have a good after color conditioner to seal the hair cuticle and maybe give my hair a good pre- treatment before hand.

on 9/5/2011 1:46:00 PM

Tried the Ion Demi-Permanent Hair Color - Light Golden Brown. My hair is BLACK. I am so upset! Purchased at national beauty supply company and consulted with store owner. Never said this runs dark. We spent a long time looking at and discussing my hair. I was just looking for a product that was reliable at covering gray. This said it would leave levels. No, I am solid black. I have shampooed with everything I can find in the house to try to remove some of the color. I have colored myself for years and never run into this problem. I know I am going to have to go to a professional and spend a lot of money to fix this. Any ideas out there for quicker removal or lightening without turning orange or green? Thanks!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product left my hair in good condition and the smell was not unpleasant. However...I used medium neutral blond and the color came out about 3 SHADES DARKER than Clairol demi in the same shade. Be careful with this. I would recommend going 2 to 3 shades lighter than your desired level.