Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.9

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 10/24/2015 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am very impressed with Ion. I have been coloring my hair for the last 3 years. All sorts of colors,however, this time I wanted to try something more natural. So i had Rose colored hair (Ion Color Brilliance Brights), I wanted to cover it with a blonde color. Looking for something that isnt permanent ,I decided upon Demi permanent. I bought the shade "Lightest Golden Blonde ". I was very impressed. It came out beautiful . My hair even felt healthier. I used it with 10vl developer. It was a beautiful golden blonde,not brassy,but natural looking blonde. I give it 5 lipsticks.
TIP:Since its no lift,the color will come out darker than the swatch so get within a few shades of what u currently have (Dont get a blonde dye if you have black hair),get lighter than you want because it comes out darker. You can also dilute it with the Clear shafe to make the color more true to the swatch. I am going to try the shade "Lightest Natural Blonde". I'll be back to review that shade.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This review is for the Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi Permanent in the colour 6rc-6.4 Dark Copper Blonde. Before I start I wanna just say I'm Canadian, so you're going to see the Canadian spelling of the word "color" throughout this review, lol (just wanted to mention that in case people thought I was spelling it wrong the whole time). First my hair history is as follows: I had been having my hair coloured at a professional salon for months and months. The colour I had was a level 7 copper, so a shade lighter, but I wasn't pleased with it. The colourist, no matter what I said, did not process the lengths of my hair long enough, so my roots were always brighter and the lengths would wash out so quickly. With red hair, you have to refresh your entire head more often than other people do with other hair colours, and for some reason this colourist did not seem to understand that. I decided to try sally's and to achieve as similar a colour as possible on my own, so at first I used L'oreal Techniques Excellence Creme (Permanent) in the shade 7.43 Dark Copper Golden Blonde. That colour worked for a while, but when it faded it would become too light for my liking, but I did like how it looked fresh because it was a nice natural copper redhead shade. When it faded, it looked obviously unnatural and sort of too orangey. I decided I wanted to go a shade darker, and I had heard good things about this colour and brand from a youtuber. Her name is Bethany Fae, if you want to watch her video where she talks about this exact colour. I liked how her hair looked so I decided to give this a try. By the way, my natural colour is a level 7 light auburn. My hair is mostly light brown but with natural golden and copper highlights. So I tried this colour and noticed numerous things. Firstly, it didn't take to my roots as well as permanent colour does. Secondly, while it did not take to my roots as well as the lengths, the colour at my roots looked a bit more vibrant and red-red than my lengths, but I could still see a bit of my natural colour peaking through a tiny bit right at the scalp. I don't mind this too much because my natural hair colour seems to blend fairly well with this shade. The lengths and ends of my hair looked more copper, but this difference was very very slight and only visible under certain lighting. At first, I hated this colour. I was in shock because it was a big difference. I did not have the experience of it going black or super dark, like many others report with this colour, it was the right darkness for my liking and accurate to the swatch at sally's. I felt, however, that the colour was too bright and scary and not natural looking. It is not my goal to look like Rihanna, or Jessica Rabbit, and I do not want neon or super true red hair. I freaked out and thought it looked like that (it didn't, it was just too bright at first but not that bright). My goal is to achieve a natural looking colour that a real redhead might have. It was, however, extremely soft and shiny and healthy looking, much more so then when I used permanent colour. After washing it a few times, however, the colour is much better. It looks very natural now, a nice copper redhead shade and it's not too dark, but also not too light. I have washed it probably about 5 times now, and the colour does not have a faded look. Those who colour often know what I mean by that. When a colour is fresh it looks rich and shiny, but once it fades it becomes less believable and dull. That has not happened, and it looks much more natural and rich then it did at first. I think next time I will leave it on my hair for less time. I left it on for 25 minutes, with 10% developer. I think next time I will try 15-20 minutes. I might have a different opinion after I use it for a second time, so I will update this probably in the future. But at the moment, the shine and health is still there, even after washing. A lot of the time with permanent colour the hair looks shiny when it's freshly done, but as you wash it the shine goes away. That has not happened, and I think hair colour looks better and more natural when the condition of the hair is good. With that, I think for a demi permanent this colour is really good. You just have to pick the right shade, and do a strand test to make sure it's the right colour before you put it on your entire head. I did do a strand test, but I only left it on for 20 minutes, so I think next time I will do that on my whole head. If you really need your roots completely covered, or you have greys, I don't know if this will work for you. But there is no harm in doing a strand test to figure that out. Don't just go into it blindly and put it on your hair without checking it first on a small strand. You are a lot less likely to have a disaster that way.

UPDATE:
I have moved on. I did use this probably about 4 or 5 times, I gave it a good run. What I liked was how long the colour lasted, and that the roots wouldn't come out with a clear line. But it never fully took to my roots the same way it took to the rest of my hair, so eventually it would rinse out where I coloured last and looked like I hadn't dyed my roots in much longer than it actually had been. Also, the violet/purple base at the beginning just wasn't doing it for me. By the time it faded to a nice colour, my roots had grown in/the colour faded off my roots, and it didn't look good enough for me. I did dilute it with clear, by the way, but even still it didn't look right. I am now using the One n Only Argan Oil permanent creme color in 6rg Dark Tangerine Blonde and it is muchhhhhhhh better. The colour beats this one hands down. I have a review for that too, if you are interested.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I purchased the shade 4RV along with their 10 volume developer as I was looking to darken my hair from my current color which is a level 6 light brown to a nice dark burgundy wine shade for Fall.

First I sprayed my hair from the mid-shaft to the ends with Zotos Porosity Equalizer since my hair was previously lightened. Then I mixed 1 tube of the 4RV (2 oz) with 2 oz of developer since the instructions said to deepen color use a 1:1 ratio. I applied it to my roots first and then went back and did my mid shaft to ends and processed for 25 minutes.

As I suspected the color initially came out SUPER dark, especially at my roots. It was almost black with a burgundy tint in the light however after a couple of washes with head and shoulders my hair is now a dark burgundy shade although it took a bit longer for my roots to lighten up. So in future I'd color all of my hair at the same time so it processes evenly.

Now that I have the shade I desire I am washing my root area with sulfate free shampoo every 3-4 days and using Pantene CC on my mid shafts to ends since red fades quickly and plan to use the Ion Color Brilliance Temporary Color Masque in Hot Red to see if it helps to keep the color vibrant.

My hair is so shiny and healthy looking and I've gotten tons of compliments since coloring my hair. I plan on purchasing their 4RV in the permanent line when my roots start to show but will be using the demi permanent color to refresh the lengths of my hair to minimize unnecessary damage.. For color refreshing the instructions recommend mixing a 1:2 ratio (so for me it will be 1 oz of color to 2 oz of developer). Overall I'm super happy with the results. I have before and after pictures in my gallery.

on 8/20/2014 4:20:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Really like this product for toning freshly bleached roots. Easy to work with and smells lovely.

My natural hair is a level 6, very thick and very healthy. I have been a full blonde for over 20 years and a Dye It Yourself blonde for the last 10 years. I have only used professional products and never a drugstore box product. All the products I use can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply, very cheaply.

Here is my process.
Root length anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" (depending on how long I have waited between touch-ups)

BLEACH
1.Mix bleach (I use Quick Blue for "On & Off Scalp Application" Powder Bleach) to the consistency of a fluffy whipped cream or thickish cake batter with a 30 Volume Developer (any brand will do - I have used most of them) in a plastic coloring bowl. This does not need to be an exact science, just get it to a consistency you feel comfortable working with.
Thicker consistency the faster the lifting.
Thinner consistency the slower the lifting.
Too thick, then it will dry too fast on the hair and once it dries, it's not working.

2. Section DRY, unwashed hair into 4 quadrants. I find the natural oils in unwashed hair help protect your scalp a bit during the process.
Start applying bleach to back sections first. My hair in the back is more resistant to lifting than in the front. As a note, I have someone help me with the back since I find it impossible to reach around and section thin, even pieces. Continue sectioning and applying to roots until your entire head is covered. This takes about 25 minutes to do.
3. Let it develop for approximately 40 to 60 minutes. I will put a shower cap on during this time to trap some of the heat from my scalp to aid in the lifting process. This is not necessary just something I do. I start timing once all of my hair is covered in product. Check often to see if the hair is lifting to a pale yellow. Not gold but yellow (like the inside of a banana). If you find after say 75 minutes you are still very gold then you may have to do the above process again (Double Lift). I have never had to do this but it is possible. Note: this could be very damaging to thin or unhealthy hair.
4. Rinse out. Do NOT use shampoo. Hair will feel dry, coarse and slightly gummy.
My freshly bleached roots will be pale yellow with slight gold tones in the shaft. I guess the contrast of my fresh roots against my previously colored hair shows any gold that may be present.

PROTEIN FILLER (To help the toner to deposit more evenly on your treated hair)
5. Towel dry briefly and SPRAY on "Colorful Neutral Protein Filler". Use a large tooth comb (gently) to distribute product through hair. Let sit for 20 minutes. Read the reviews on Sally's Beauty Supply to understand this product better.
6. After 20 minutes hair should only be slightly damp. If necessary, use a towel to remove most of the moisture to speed up the process. Hair is now ready to be toned. Slightly damp to fully dry hair can be toned.

TONE (To remove any brassiness, even out the color and deposit a color tone you desire)
7. Mix 1 part toner (i.e. I use ION Color Brilliance Demi-Permanent Color in 10N-10.0) with 2 part ION Sensitive Scalp 10 Volume Developer into a squirt bottle with a long pointed, angled neck (i.e. 2 oz. Toner + 4 oz. 10 Vol Developer).
8. Apply to all roots first. Working it with your fingers along the roots.
9. After roots are covered, then apply to hair shaft and ends. Use a large tooth comb to distribute product from root to shaft.
Total Time maximum 15 minutes. Start timing from the moment you START applying the toner.

10. Shower - wash, condition and deep condition.
I use the following after lifting and toning:
Shampoo: ION Color Defense Sulphate Free Shampoo
Conditioner: ION Color Defense After-Color Sealer
Deep Conditioner: Any super moisturizing deep conditioner. I leave this on for 20 minutes while in a shower cap. Then rinse, and let my hair dry naturally overnight.

Next day... shiny, healthy hair. :) I do not like ash or gold tones in my hair. I prefer a pale ever so slight sand blonde.

As a note: You can use the ION Color Brilliance Demi-Permanent "Clear 00-0.0" formulation on your hair a week or two later to add more shine and silkiness.

Hope that helps some new DIY Blondes.

on 2/26/2014 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought ion demi color to use for year while I was dying my hair darker. I always use demi when going darker to only deposit color and little damage to hair. I have found good color combos to use with ion. I wanted a pretty meduim auburn shade. I used 9ng with 4rc, light natural golden blonde and medium copper brown. Beautiful auburn shade. I added the blond with it so it didn't come out too dark. perfect. The shades do run a bit dark. I mix ratio 2:1 with volume 10 developer. Buy a shade or 2 lighter then what you want, but it is shiny and long lasting. I find I use the 9ng a lot as mixing shade so ash tonesare not too ashy and same with neutrals. The neutrals are nice on own though. The 9ng is not very light a name suggests. More a medium to dark golden blond FYI. More yellow gold rather than red though. That is why i mix, to not get too much red if I want a darker golden brown. Buy neutral brown and add golden blond.

on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

on 4/19/2013 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

So many well written, detailed and positive reviews here I won't go on. Believe the good reviews. This stuff lasts! After 2+ weeks using #3RVR burgundy brown it's STILL shiny and coloured. I had these light ends from using drugstore permanents and nothing would blend it. My hair dresser did a great job blending it with a semi I think but for $100 and having it wash out in under two weeks, it wasn't worth it. This demi though is amazing! :o I'm so shocked. For $3 on sale plus developer, the colour is complex and gorgeous. I'm so impressed. I used it 1:1 because my hair doesn't take colour well and it did end up quite dark and saturated but I adore it. I would recommend this to anyone!

on 3/18/2013 9:23:00 AM

I've had the weirdest coloring experience with this product. I have an e-mail in to Ion right now but I figured I'd write my review here while I am waiting for an answer. I am naturally a level 5 mousy brown brunette. I am no stranger to red hair dyes, both demipermanent and permanent - I've been doing my own color for 20 something years! My hair was its virgin color before I started. I wanted a subtle red and not crazy red so I went with 6R. I used 10 volume developer 1:2 ratio (color:developer) for 40 minutes - no heat. When I rinsed it out and got out of the shower I was shocked to see that my color was absolutely the same! I thought it didn't take. So I dried it and went out (I had plans) and looked in my car mirror and realized that when I'm outside under bright sunlight - my hair is bright red!! But under fluorescent/incadescent light - it's still my natural brown! SO weird!! I want it red all the time! So I e-mailed Ion and I hope they can give me some suggestions. Maybe I should use 20 volume peroxide? Maybe I should use it with a 1:1 ratio? I will update my review when I hear back from Ion. I do like the product - it smelled nice, rinsed out really well and made my hair shiny! I just want it to work.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I had lovely light blonde hair and like always I darken the color with a demi in the fall until spring or less damage to my hair in the dry winter. I used a medium blonde and my hair turned black! I used the right amount and it I let it in my hair for the right amount of time. I have used this brand before without issues but this is unacceptable.

on 5/18/2012 12:09:00 PM

WAY DARKER THAN EXPECTED! Ok, so against my better judgement, 3 months ago I touched up my permanently dyed dark brown hair using a combo of 5n and 3rv before reading the reviews on MUA. As previously mentioned, I came out with BLACK hair. I don't mind black hair, but the only problem was there was no reddish tint to it (which I think softens the look). I did a bleach cap to remove color, and after months of trims, protein treatments (thank you Aphogee), and professional demi tint jobs, I've decided to go this route again. I am going to be trying this again with a level 6 or 7 mixed with clear. I figure I'd rather be too light than too dark. I will update my review once I try this lighter process. *fingers crossed*
**UPDATE**
After trying this again in a level 8, I still ended up with black hair from root to tip, so I know it's not just from the damaged hair's porosity. This stuff runs way too dark for me. After letting this fade out (which took FOREVER), I used redken shades eq in 5cb, and the color is just what I wanted. I bought it online for about what I paid for the ion. I will not be buying ion again.