Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by hair type : Other
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

4.3

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 12/2/2017 1:13:00 PM

After a long year of dyeing my hair every color under the sun, I wanted to go back to my natural level 8 ash blonde. I tried achieving that at home with color remover and bleach, and ended up with orange Leeloo hair from Fifth Element.

The salon I chose was able to color correct it to my natural, however the color they used washed out with four washes and I had brassy orange blonde hair. I had my hair toned twice by the salon and decided I could not afford to come back every two weeks to have my hair corrected when it would just wash out (they used permanent toner and color on my hair).

I bought this at Sally’s because it was five dollars and I thought, why the heck not? I’d rather do this at home every two weeks myself than pay hundreds to have a professional do the same thing.

I bought 7 NA blonde, mixed it with 4 oz Ion sensitive 10 developer, and left it on my hair for 5 minutes. I didn’t paint every piece, I slapped it on my head like conditioner, worked it through, and brushed it down. After five minutes, I jumped in the shower, rinsed it out, shampooed, and conditioned.

Wa-lah! My hair is a beautiful medium-dark ash blonde. Almost exactly the same color that I was paying for in the salon, for 95% cost savings. And, this color lasted 3 weeks before I had to do it again (the second time I left it on for 3 minutes to get the same result). I’m so pleased. This color was exactly what I wanted and my hair doesn’t feel any more damaged than it was before I started.

Word of advice: If your hair is porous like mine and you are looking to tone down brassiness, I think you will deeply regret leaving this on your head for longer than five minutes. The hair in my brush that had this color on it for twenty minutes was medium brown.

I

I purchased this in the shade 9na. Since i heard demis run dark, i was expecting a level 7 or 8. I applied this all over my blonde roots to create an subtle ombre effect. After 10 or 15 min, i noticed the color turning into a sandy brown so i rinsed it out. My results were a toned ashy blonde. It was no darker than before. This is a nice shade to tone brassy blondes. Ill use this to tone next time i bleach!

on 12/6/2015 11:56:00 PM

Important note: As other reviews state, this runs dark. Just how dark may vary depending on your hair's health and porosity. If you are buying for the first time, choose a shade 2 levels lighter than the color you want to achieve, strand test, and then adjust if necessary.

This is the only at home hair color I've used, so I don't have much basis for comparison. But it covers my grays, lasts for about a month (standard for a demi), doesn't irritate my scalp, and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

My natural hair color is shoulder length level 5 ash brown with 20% gray. I've experimented with a variety of different formulas that I liked, but am currently using 1oz 5N +1/2oz 6WR + 1/4 oz 4RV + 3.5 oz developer. It produces a really pretty, natural looking level 4 warm brown with red and faint gold undertones.

on 4/15/2014 7:37:00 AM

Did not like this at all! Did not cover my grey! Washed right out and left me with ash grey roots! Iam a natural darker blonde and used the 8n, left it on for 35-40 mins and when I wased it out I could still see grey right away! It didn't burn ,but it didn't accomplish anything either! I am going back to ion permanant color, I have used that for years, just thought this might be a bit gentler on my scalp!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I'm amazed on how shiny and beautiful my hair looked after using this product. I have very curly hair (3C texture) and wanted to stay away from ammonia based products to keep my hair natural. In addition, ammonia can change the curl pattern of your hair so I didn't want to risk having the texture of my hair altered so I decided to use ION's Demi Permanent (medium golden brown). As I was applying the color it appeared as though it was going to be a true golden brown; almost yellowish, but as it sat in my hair up to 30 minutes it began turning very dark rather quickly. My normal hair color is dark brown and after rinsing the color out of my hair it came out JET BLACK. It darkened my hair tremendously, but I absolutely love it because it makes my curls look shinier and healthy. I never knew black hair would actually make my curls pop and my hair look healthy.

If you have any shade of brown hair and are looking to lighten your hair, you should use a blonde demi-permanent color because any brown demi-permanent color will make your hair darker; possibly black. If you view the ION website, the chart will also reflect this or you may call their toll-free number to speak with a specialist who can guide you in the right direction.

Overall, this is my brand of choice, however when I perform my touch ups in the future I'll use Dark Brown (3N Dark Natural Brown) or (4N Medium Natural Brown) to maintain the black color in my hair because if I were to continue using the Medium Golden Brown my hair will eventually get lighter and I don't want that. This was my first time coloring my own hair, but I followed the instructions inside of the box and everything when smoothly.

It's a little premature to say that I'll NEVER pay for salon color again but if getting the color you desire is this easy, I will definitely hesitate. I'll first start by saying that I read A LOT of reviews here and whatever I could find online about this line before attempting it on my own. I have learned that I'm about a level 3 brunette and my hair pulls red no matter what any colorist has done to me in the past. I originally wanted to do a color that cancelled out any of the red in my hair (ash) but I chickened out and went with the "natural" shades instead hoping to just tone down the warmth. Because I read over and over again how dark this color comes I chose 4N and 5N and mixed them with 2 parts volume 10 developer. I like my hair a bit darker than my natural color. It came out exactly as planned and it's very shiney and soft. Love it. I will definitely be repurchasing.

on 2/17/2012 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I paid $3.99 for a tube of 6N - 6.0 Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi (Dark Natural Blonde) from Sally Beauty and used the recommended "sensitive scalp developer" level 10, neutral protein filler pre-color treatment, and ion effective care treatment post-color.

My hair is naturally about a level 6 brown. It's fairly neutral (more on the golden side if anything). Naturally curly, slightly dry, shoulder length. And, I have some grey--mostly up front, but somewhat hidden.

After doing the recommended strand test and selecting 40 minutes to be my ultimate processing time (based on the results of the strand test and my desire to go a little darker), I ended up processing for 45 minutes because of an unexpected interruption.

I followed up the shampoo with the conditioning treatment, leaving it in for 20 minutes.

Result: absolutely amazing. I love this color and this product. This was my first ever diy hair coloring experience. Normally, I spend well over $100 downtown. I'd recommend this product in a heartbeat.

I'm crossing my fingers that the color won't fade too quickly -- if it does, I'll come back and follow up.

Full story about my first-ever DIY dye can be found in My Notepad on this site--including photograph.

on 11/13/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I gave this a shot after reading a ton of reviews and shelling out $90 a pop for 2 color treatments in 6 weeks both of which left me with my grays back in full force 2 weeks later. I can't afford to see my stylist every 2-3 weeks without filing for divorce & drug store touch up products gave me crap results. The reviews on here were VERY helpful Especially the specifics by Twiggy. TY! I have dark brown hair both naturally and after professional color and decided to go with the 5N and 6N she used in her photo but shorted the dark blond just a tad and added just a bit of the clear gloss for the 2ozs of color. I also added about 15 drops of the gray magic before mixing in 2ozs of the 10 developer for sensitive scalp and applied it all using the brush/bowl method starting at the roots. I combed everything through with a wide tooth comb after everything was covered to make sure my hair was evenly coated and waited 30 min. There was no bad smell during my wait and my scalp didn't burn or itch. While this did take forever to rinse out in the shower it did not stain my scalp or the areas I hit by mistake with the brush. I bought a sample packet of the Ion deep conditioner that the SA recommended but I wasn't impressed and added some Chi color care conditioner to my final rinse. I was surprised that after my first rinse my hair felt rougher than I expected but it felt and looked great after the conditioning and blow dry. The color came out the same rich deep brown I get in the salon and my grays were completely covered. If this lasts longer than 2 weeks and doesn't wreck my hair I may be able to go back to coloring every 2-3 months again. For all 3 colors, the developer, a color bowl and brush, a single use pack of gray magic and the conditioner I spent just over $20 and I still have color and developer left.
*Update* The day after trying this I washed and conditioned and my hair felt pretty roughed up. I've only had this experience using one other at home permanent hair color and I'm pretty surprised to get this kind of damage from a Demi. I don't want to knock off a lippie yet though because I did add a small amount of Gray Magic that I believe contains ammonia. That could be the problem. Also the Ion conditioner pack that the SA recommended was not specific to post color. Alcohol is the first 2 ingredients on the list and it looks and feels like vaseline. I should have checked before I bought but I was in a rush. My hair feels better after an overnight oil treatment. Since this delivered excellent color I may give this product a shot again but I'll leave out the Gray Magic and make sure I have a good after color conditioner to seal the hair cuticle and maybe give my hair a good pre- treatment before hand.

on 11/8/2011 5:36:00 PM

**UPDATE** I just wanted to update after I'd been using this for a few months. I now have the perfect combo of equal parts Shine/Clear, Dark Warm Brown, and Dark Warm Blonde, all mixed with an equal portion of 10 creme developer. I don't experience a lot of fadage, but I only wash my hair twice a week and I don't heat style a lot. I get so many compliments on the color (the dark brown overpowers the dark blonde, but I put dark blonde in because it gives me more red tones, which I like). I've already had two people dye their hair with the same stuff because they liked mine so much. My hair is also still healthy and I use this about once a month. I love it!

My hair type: Course texture, can get frizzy sometimes, fine hair but a lot of it, have been highlighting my dishwater hair for years, most recently lifted the overall color to a dark strawberry blonde. My ashy roots started coming in and it was a shocking contrast to the strawberry tones, so I wanted to make a change. I decided to try dying my hair dark at home! I decided to use a demi rather than a permanent because 1.) My hair tends to get matte and inky if I keep layering dye permanent dye on it 2.) I wanted it removeable if I decided i hated it and 3.) Less damaging.

For once in my life, I remember to check MUA before making my purchase. I knew that the blonde colors would be darker than the swatch. That being said - I wanted two tones and originally picked up the medium golden blonde and the light neutral blonde. Both were too light and were about the exact shade of my current hair.

Went back and exchanged for medium warm brown and dark warm blonde. I put the medium warm brown shade in the bottom half of my hair and I mixed the dark warm blonde up about 2 parts to 1 part medium warm brown. (both instances did about a 1:1 with 10V developer). Finished applying, and I'm pretty happy with the result!

I did miss some spots but I had intended on going over the whole thing in about two weeks anyhow. The warm swatches show red pieces of hair - this is true, if you choose warm, you WILL get red. Sort of a burgundy undertone that people either love or hate. I love it. My hair overall ended up about the color of ESPN reporter Rachel Nichols.

UPDATE: 2 weeks have passed with 4 washings. It looks great still! Some of the red has faded a bit and it's more of a true chocolate now, very dynamic with some highlights and a glimmer of red. Shine has unfortunately faded a bit too. My hair just doesn't hold shine, ever. The color is fab though! I love it. I'n going to go over it with the dark blonde next week just to fill in. I might mix it with the clear stuff from ion.

I should note that I used the color seal product after I colored it as well as after the 3rd shampoo.

on 5/10/2011 8:03:00 PM

This is my first time using this product and I am very pleased with the results. My hair was bleached, light brassy brown. I used 7NA, medium ash blonde hoping for a medium brown. I know this brand runs several shades dark. I used a 1:1 ratio with the Ion 10 volume developer and left it on my hair for 25 minutes. The result was exactly what I wanted. A rich, chocolate, medium brown. My hair is so shiny and soft! I will definitely use this product again.