Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.7

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 3/7/2014 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This didn't work at all for me. I have naturally dark brown hair. Recently I bleached it a couple of times, and the last time it ended up bright orange/yellow. A little unevenly bleached, but overall very, very light. I thought this should be light enough to tone to a dark blonde (any tone but red). I purchased the Ion Demi in both 9 Ash and 7 Ash (There's no ash version in 8). I combined them 3/4 of 9 to 1/4 7 (the people at Ion said this would make an 8 Ash). This darkened my hair considerably and made it auburn color. I don't know why so many ashy colors are violet based. Violet has red in it, and will deepen the red. And blue is a very dark hue. Both will destroy gold. But I LIKE a little gold. I just don't like red! I'm so desperate to find something green based, that I'm almost willing to try something crazy like Manic Panic green, even though it's not meant to look natural. Otherwise I guess I have to bleach my hair to near white, before I can make it a light brown/dark blonde that's not auburn looking. There has to be a way.

My gray hair is really starting to show on my naturally dark, but colored hair. I don't know why I have been coloring my hair with a permanent color when all I wanted to do was cover my gray. I have never changed my hair color all over. I did try highlights once, but they were getting too blond and too drying.

I use this in 8N Medium Natural Blonde in a 1:1 ratio with Ion Volume 10 developer. The colors run dark, so the medium natural blonde actually covers and blends the gray just enough to look like highlights, while the Volume 10 developer (instead of Volume 20 developer) does nothing to the rest of my dark hair, doesn't lighten it.

Blending the gray without lightening or darkening the rest of my hair is the look I was going for, so I am very pleased with the results.

I have to color the roots about every two weeks, and I needed something inexpensive, smells good, and doesn't damage my hair. I was using Ion liquid permanent color in 5N Medium Brown with Volume 20 developer, but I wanted to give my hair a rest from the ammonia and higher percentage of peroxide.

I just leave this on my roots for about 30 minutes. For a demi permanent, it does cover the gray, and it doesn't fade. I have tried demi colors before that didn't work. This does.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I had lovely light blonde hair and like always I darken the color with a demi in the fall until spring or less damage to my hair in the dry winter. I used a medium blonde and my hair turned black! I used the right amount and it I let it in my hair for the right amount of time. I have used this brand before without issues but this is unacceptable.

on 10/28/2012 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was all skeptical after the reviews (and nervous, since I quit the heavy dying days and had been loving my natural color), but went on a whim and decided to get this in Burgundy Brown. The only reason I went with this brand was because of my hesitance, the idea of permanent scared me (I can't even believe this is the same person who used to do black and purple like it was in my DNA). And because I'm also scared to damage my hair with heavier dyes (I want it to GROW!!) I was all set to buy One 'n' Only Argan hair dye. I tried to research both but there were barely any pictures to decide between, so to be safe I went with the demi and a volume 10 developer. This. color. is. HOT!!! There isn't really any 'brown' about it! It's definitely out there and not natural, but in pictures people say it's 'subtle' and don't see it like it really is. I reallly like how it came out on me, better than many other colors I've tried, easy application, didn't mess up my bathtub like I thought it would, and my hair feels A-MAZ-ING (*though could be partly other things I put in it, but does not feel stripped or dry).

I will really have to update after I wash it, because there is a high chance that it could fade a lot after the first wash since it's a demi. But I am tempted to do this color longer term. Woowwzza.

The vibrancy lasted long even after shampooing many times. It's cloudy and stormy outside and yet even indoors I think I'm showing more highlights since the hair has been washed. Really loving this color. Maybe for those who didn't get the dye to stay, make sure your hair is washed reallly well and don't condition until AFTER you dye. And don't shampoo directly after you dye it either. That's what I did. Wash with shampoo (and vinegar in my case, to get rid of buildup) my hair was damp, not even 100% dry, used Volume 10, left it on quite long, an hour at least, condition with a DC and it worked fantastically. <3

UPDATE: A few washes later and I'm finally seeing the 'brown' to this color. But still lots of red highlights and considering it's a demi, I'm fine with that! :) I eventually bought the One 'n' Only Argan oil brand that is supposed to match this color and it didn't at all, this was way nicer and more vivid. It also started me on a hair color jouney and since then, I went fuchsia, coral, purple, and a little blue. :)

on 8/13/2012 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have had so much luck with this Demi. It took me about 1 year to get the color mixture just right to tone down my highlights. I mix half a tube of Clear Shine with a full tube of 9NA (very light ash blonde) with the 10V developer, and get a beautiful ash blonde glaze to cover my super bright highlights. I usually leave the color on for 15 mins with no heat and I love the results. Its totally true about the color running quite dark, but i do find that the clear helps to dilute the color and makes my hair translucent and shiny. I will definitely continue using this as I love the results, not to mention the price. My hair always looks salon fresh and really healthy without having to shell out major bucks.

on 2/17/2012 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I paid $3.99 for a tube of 6N - 6.0 Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi (Dark Natural Blonde) from Sally Beauty and used the recommended "sensitive scalp developer" level 10, neutral protein filler pre-color treatment, and ion effective care treatment post-color.

My hair is naturally about a level 6 brown. It's fairly neutral (more on the golden side if anything). Naturally curly, slightly dry, shoulder length. And, I have some grey--mostly up front, but somewhat hidden.

After doing the recommended strand test and selecting 40 minutes to be my ultimate processing time (based on the results of the strand test and my desire to go a little darker), I ended up processing for 45 minutes because of an unexpected interruption.

I followed up the shampoo with the conditioning treatment, leaving it in for 20 minutes.

Result: absolutely amazing. I love this color and this product. This was my first ever diy hair coloring experience. Normally, I spend well over $100 downtown. I'd recommend this product in a heartbeat.

I'm crossing my fingers that the color won't fade too quickly -- if it does, I'll come back and follow up.

Full story about my first-ever DIY dye can be found in My Notepad on this site--including photograph.

on 9/25/2010 3:48:00 PM

I have tried this product twice now. The first time I thought I might have left it on too long, so the second time I left it on less and diluted it. I used the dark copper blonde, and it was NOT COPPER!! I don't know who named this, but they need their eyes checked. It came out almost burgandy. My hair is naturally a dark copper over the winter, and this is just a TERRIBLE color! I now have to figure out how to fix this. It did make my hair nice and soft, and was REALLY cheap. I am guessing the other colors might be ok, but not this. I was using the clairol compliments in dark copper blonde, and it was definately a dark copper blonde, but that has been discontinued now (why do they always discontinue awesome red shades?). The search continues now. (UPDATE) I have been using this for a few months now, and I have decided that this is the best brand and color for my hair. I only have to touch up my roots once every 2 or 3 weeks (I just mix a tiny bit of the developer and cream in a bowel and apply with a thin brush). I still recommend if you are going to use this to give yourself a few days of washing before it turns into a nice copper red (still would NOT consider this blonde) since it comes out SUPER dark and bright and unnatural at first. But it does last much longer than other reds I have used. I haven't dyed my whole head for a couple months now, but just do the root touch ups. I am upping my lippies for this one now :-)

Let me preface this by saying that although I do not like the shade at the moment, I will be coloring my hair again with Ion. I recently completely stripped my hair to rid myself of the burgundy hue henna left me with after two years, as I desired a golden blond. I stripped and dyed with a golden blond by Clairol Professional, but it left me a lovely shade of neon yellow. In tears, I went back to Sally's, where the manager (who has come to know me quite well after all my trips there!) recommended Ion. Neither she or I knew the color would take quite so well! The color swatch was perfect for what I was looking for- 6NB, Dark Neutral Blonde. However, it turned out a medium brown with golden tones where my lightest color left from the bleach had been. Pretty, but not for me. But, most importantly, it didn't leave my hair trashed, had an inoffensive scent, and didn't look fake. I've washed a few times, and it's faded slightly, but I'm going to wait several weeks before I go back and get the 7 level that I believe will give me the desired color.

on 6/29/2010 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been using this for a few years. Before this I was using the Wella Demi which I also had pretty good luck with.
I have about 50% gray at the crown and a few others mixed in. My normal level is about 5 (with gray). I tend to go orange, so want to counteract that and I previously experimented with 7N and some 7G (didn't like the results). I have also used 7N by itself w/developer, but that came out very dull on me.
I was in the mood to go darker (I know the outgrowth will be a negative), but I picked up 5N and 3RV, plus some clear color gloss and the 10 vol. developer.
I used a tube of 5N with a small dab (about an inch), of the 3RV (to counteract the gold tones), and then the developer to equal the color 1:1. This came out very dark on the roots, but I left it on over 30 min. Next time I would not let it go that long, maybe 20. Ended up the root area was a dark cherry cola shade which is beautiful, but more like a 4 level on me.
Then for the length I mixed 1:1 5N and 00 (Clear gloss) and ran that through and left on for 10 min. That did a good job of refreshing the length and producing shine.
~just remember to be careful about the level go a shade or two lighter until you find the level you like.
My hair is not damaged by this brand and I will continue to use it, since I like experimenting with customized shades.
The Ion Effective Care conditioner is really wonderful.
I can spend $10 and do my thick, shoulder length hair.