Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 10/16/2018 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

My hair did not come out at all.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wanted dark brown hair and choose the medium golden brown and used the sensitive scalp volume 10 developer. My hair feels soft, the color is just the right dark brown I wanted, and the color has depth and vibrancy.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I have black hair, previously dyed to a medium ash brown from a box about a year ago. I wanted to make my hair a dark chocolate brown, but I wanted to keep from using ammonia in my hair dye. The demi-permanent hair dye was ammonia free, so I purchased 2 boxes of medium natural brown and the Ion 8 oz. 30 volume developer. I mixed the dye and developer together, applied to my hair, let it sit about 20 minutes and then washed it out with warm water and conditioned by hair with the Ion Repair conditioner.

Nothing. My hair is still black, but the parts of my hair that were previously dyed are darker now, more brown. So I guess it still worked? So here's the main thing I've learned from this:

Do you research! I wish I researched mixing rations and called the 1-800 number on the box before I did this! I could have easily figured out if I needed to change the 1:2 ratio or get a different dye.

And for those of you wondering, here's the phone number: 1-800-859-3112

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Worst hair color I've ever tried. I have medium brown hair and I used the blue black dye. I tried dying my hair, following all directions and after 25 minutes, I rinse my hair and what so I find? NONE of the color took to my hair. Wtf. I'm beyond pissed but decide to try again because I want my black hair. I follow directions, however I'm forced to add more of the pigment (tube) than normal. Then I reapply and leave on for 10 minutes longer than suggested. Finally, after all this, my hair is black.
Two months later, I still have half left and it's time for another dye job. Guess what? THE SAME THING HAPPENS!!! I have to color my hair TWICE just to get black! I'm never ever using this product again. I regret ever straying from Wella Colorx charm. If you're looking for a semi permanent hair dye, go for Wella!!! Not this crap!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I'm amazed on how shiny and beautiful my hair looked after using this product. I have very curly hair (3C texture) and wanted to stay away from ammonia based products to keep my hair natural. In addition, ammonia can change the curl pattern of your hair so I didn't want to risk having the texture of my hair altered so I decided to use ION's Demi Permanent (medium golden brown). As I was applying the color it appeared as though it was going to be a true golden brown; almost yellowish, but as it sat in my hair up to 30 minutes it began turning very dark rather quickly. My normal hair color is dark brown and after rinsing the color out of my hair it came out JET BLACK. It darkened my hair tremendously, but I absolutely love it because it makes my curls look shinier and healthy. I never knew black hair would actually make my curls pop and my hair look healthy.

If you have any shade of brown hair and are looking to lighten your hair, you should use a blonde demi-permanent color because any brown demi-permanent color will make your hair darker; possibly black. If you view the ION website, the chart will also reflect this or you may call their toll-free number to speak with a specialist who can guide you in the right direction.

Overall, this is my brand of choice, however when I perform my touch ups in the future I'll use Dark Brown (3N Dark Natural Brown) or (4N Medium Natural Brown) to maintain the black color in my hair because if I were to continue using the Medium Golden Brown my hair will eventually get lighter and I don't want that. This was my first time coloring my own hair, but I followed the instructions inside of the box and everything when smoothly.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I typically use Redken Shades EQ to color my hair. I have been using a 9GB and 7GB to make an 8GB. Redken doesn't make an 8GB in the Shades line. My friend is a stylist and usually colors my hair for me. I am trying to grow my hair out to it's natural color and I have about 3 inches of roots, which are a light brown and the rest of my hair is highlighted. The 8GB in Redken was enough to blend my roots with my ends and give me an overall slightly warm light brown color with dimension from the old highlights. I bought the Ion color today to attempt coloring myself. I've had good and bad experiences with at home color. I used the booklet they had at my local Sally's to find the equivalent of the Redken 8GB. They do not carry a GB, or gold beige, in the Ion line, but they did have a NB, neutral beige. I was scared to try the warm because I wanted more neutral tones and was afraid the natural/ash would be too ashy. So, I purchased a 9NB and a 7NB in the Ion line. After reading several MUA's reviews about this brand going up to 3 shades darker, I decided to use 2 parts 9NB and 1 part 7NB in a 1:2 ratio with the developer. I ended up using 2 oz of 9NB, 1 oz 7NB and 6 oz of developer, which was WAY too much color for my shoulder length hair!! Oops! I will cut that in half next time. My hair actually turned out really beautiful! The roots are blended with the old blonde highlights and I actually like the overall color better than Redken Shades. My hair always looks dull after coloring with Shades and a little over-saturated and takes a few days to look normal. With the Ion, my hair is super shiny and soft and beautiful! I will definitely use this again once the color fades! It's so much cheaper and I can do it whenever my schedule allows! I mixed this in a bowl and applied with a brush. I find that using a brush gives the most even coverage.

on 1/20/2011 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I had taken my hair from dyed black to a sort of tawny streaky mane that ranged from white to reddish gold using 3 kits of Frost & Glow over the long New Years weekend.

It looked okay, and I guess I could have taken it to a pro and become a credible blonde, but my hair was damaged, and I didn't feel like blonde was a good soul fit for me, and since I have very dark brown eyes..I didn't really commit emotionally to what I had done. I wanted to go back to the dark side. Preferably a level 6 warm brown. No green! No black ends!

I bought the ION precolor treatment/the 10 volume developer/ and a tube each of 7w and 7n. After spraying on the precolor treatment I started applying 7N in the brassy back of my head, leaving off the ends for later. I let that develop 5 minutes and it turned quite dark, I applied color to the ends. (Actually I could have done all of the back at one go, as my ends are a bit lighter, in a realistic way-but in retrospect I would have done them all at once.) Then I moved up towards the front of my head, adding in more of the 7w and developer so that my my porous sides and front wouldn't grab ash.

I only let my bangs take the color for about three minutes. The color in back developed for 20 altogether.

Looks great! I even have a little shine and dimension. I plan to use the Ion *semi-permanent* the next time I shampoo to fill a little bit and add just a little more depth. My hair is level 6 now and I would like to get to a warm and shining level 5. (my natural sans the greys).

I really trust this line. And I will continue to use.

on 11/13/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried this b/c I wanted to quit damaging my hair with permanent color. I chose a shade 2x lighter than normal, followed the directions and while my roots came out the desired color, the rest of my hair was almost black. Clearly this is not what I was going for. I thought it would fade within a few days. Some of it did fade judging by the stains left on my white bath towels each day. After four days, my roots were back to their usual medium brown color (w/greys) but the rest was still nearly black. I ended up using Ion's Color Corrector to remove most of the black. That left my hair a nice brassy orange which I then colored with Wella's Color Charm Cashmere 6NW (Dark Natural Warm Blonde). The end result is medium warm brown hair. Whew. Will not touch a demi- permanent again.

on 8/10/2010 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Packaging is simple, but opens easily. The shades run darker so check a swatch and test on your own hair.

I'm a medium brunette, with some light to very light brown thrown in here or there (I expect to find them gray one day!) My hair tends to pull red. I recently had highlights done with out toning that I found less than stellar. I opted for this brand over Clairol due to the color swatch shown, it appeared to have a vibrant quality. The color I used to add pigment to the highlights was 6g (dark golden blonde).

It looks fantastic, it feels fantastic, and was very gentle on my hair. (I'm picky about haircolor, and even keep notes on them to prevent relapses!) It felt great after application, no tacky sticky feel, hair still retained it's fine soft texture. It coated well, and distributed evenly, color was true to swatch (even if not in name, I would call it a sun-tea color.) I did an all over application, and it left the unhighlighted portions glossy and deepened, more radiant if you will. The light catches in the hair--and I'm definitely pleased! There was no lightening of the unhighlighted area, truly deposit only. (product was left on for 10 minutes after application).

No complaints at all, except their idea of dark blonde and mine seem to differ--luckily swatches were given as a visual aid.

LOTS of product when mixed 1:2; I could have used half the portion (with left overs) to cover thick shoulder length hair.

on 11/2/2009 7:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm dissapointed with the results. As far as the actual coloring experience, I would rate it 5 stars. The odor was pleasant, there was no burining, and the color left my hair super soft. Now the color results are a different story. My hair started a medium-dark blonde. I picked dark neutral blonde, 6NB for the color. It turned out DARK brown. I couldn't believe it when it dried. It isn't even close to dark blonde or even light brown for that matter. We're talking 3 shades darker! I've used lots of different at home hair colors, and none have been so different from the package and sample at the store. I might use this color again and pick a much lighter color. They really should consider changing their descriptions. I've only washed it once so far, so it will be interesting to see how the color wears over time.
Update: After the initial shock of the color result, I got so many compliments on the color and shine, that I really grew to like this product. Now that I'm aware of how much it differs from the description and swatch, I think I'll be much better prepared next time. It did last well considering this was demi.