Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 6/4/2017 10:57:00 AM

Do not buy this product and expect to get the color from the swatch. I decided to go for 7WR, applying it over my very light brown hair, expecting to get an orange-auburn color. Instead, I got very close to black ! I will not use this product again as it is deceiving.

on 2/21/2017 2:08:00 AM

I like this as a way to cover my grey; its long lasting but not permanent, and adds a little shine. I also appreciate being able to customize my shade by mixing different shades - each tube lasts awhile and so I keep a couple of colors on hand and mix fresh each time and tweak the shade as needed. One big warning- the color goes on darker than the swatch , and I recommend going 2 shades lighter than the result you want. I'm about a level 4-5 naturally, and I buy the dark blonde or medium blonde (level 6-7) to get a medium brown. The level 5n made my hair REALLY dark brown (level 2, maybe 2.5-3)

My hair is naturally about a level 5 brunette with neutral undertones, some gold, some ash. Pretty neutral. It pulls orange when lifted though. I recently have been getting some grays at the young age of 24. It's probably genetics but I was over seeing the stark white hairs against my dark natural color. So a couple months ago I got highlights. They looked good at first, but over time they began looking more brassy and still were not blending the gray well. So I decided to color over my half virgin half highlighted hair with a Demi. I chose the color 6n dark natural blonde because of the previous reviews warning to pick a lighter shade. I wish I would have chosen a 7 level because it has come out too dark. Also, the undertones are quite red. My hair is down to my waist so I bought two packages of color and did a 1:1 ratio with 10 volume developer which is the suggestion for 100% gray coverage. My grays are still slightly visible despite the 1:1 ratio. They look more like highlighted strands which doesn't exactly look right compared to the DARK head of hair they lie against. I guess it's because the white hairs turned the dark natural blonde the color is but color on color made the rest of my hair go to about a level 3 or 4. If I redo my hair in the future, I will choose a level 7, more ash, and probably do a 1:2 ratio instead. It's a good product but with how incredibly off the swatches are, I am happy it isn't permanent and honestly can't wait until it starts to fade. Now I'm just scared it will fade to an awful red color because of how red it looks when light hits it! It wasn't even from the red copper line of colors to choose from.

I got this in the shade 4rv to help tone down the hot pink roots I got from using L'oreal HiColor Magenta. That was an error on my part as I've used it plenty before except this time I used a higher level developer (40 instead of my usual 30/20) and left it on my roots for a few minutes too long. So the lengths of my hair were a beautiful red velvet cake red shade but the roots were a bit of a brighter pink. Nothing unbearable or anything but I wanted to even it out. So I went back to Sally's and used the hair samples to find a shade that matched my lengths and this one, 4rv burgundy brown, was the closest. All I had to do was mix 1 tablespoon of the color with 1oz of Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer Crème 10 volume and use my tinting brush to apply it to my roots. Left it on for 15 minutes, then rinsed and applied my usual conditioner mix (Matrix Conditioning Balm + Manic Panic Vampire Red for color depositing) all over and let that sit for 10 minutes in the shower. Now my roots and hair are all the same color! This is a life saver. And I have enough for several more applications after this inevitably fades since it's a demi perm. Cheap, does its job and does it well. What more could I ask for?

on 12/6/2015 11:56:00 PM

Important note: As other reviews state, this runs dark. Just how dark may vary depending on your hair's health and porosity. If you are buying for the first time, choose a shade 2 levels lighter than the color you want to achieve, strand test, and then adjust if necessary.

This is the only at home hair color I've used, so I don't have much basis for comparison. But it covers my grays, lasts for about a month (standard for a demi), doesn't irritate my scalp, and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

My natural hair color is shoulder length level 5 ash brown with 20% gray. I've experimented with a variety of different formulas that I liked, but am currently using 1oz 5N +1/2oz 6WR + 1/4 oz 4RV + 3.5 oz developer. It produces a really pretty, natural looking level 4 warm brown with red and faint gold undertones.

I am an avid at home, DYI hair person. I had recently dyed my hair a medium blonde, and toned it with Wella T-27. I decided to get away from permanent dyes, and try Demi instead. I am glad I did this, and read reviews because I achieved a beautiful level 8 medium natural/golden blonde by choosing a level 10 Demi. Make sure you choose a shade that's 2 levels lighter than what you are trying to achieve. Blonde is difficult, but try to make it close to your natural level, and you should be good to go.

on 5/14/2015 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

For years I had been doing my hair with permanent color from the drugstore. Usually Garnier Nutrisse or Revlon Colorsilk. Since I got my hair cut short and its in such great shape, I decided to try a demi permanent color from Sallys. I was hoping this would cause less damage to my hair.
I had medium golden brown hair to start and I bought 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) in Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent Color. I mixed it with Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer in a 1:2 ratio and let it sit on my hair 25 minutes. The results were dark brown hair with a touch of red. I deliberately chose two shades lighter than the color I wanted and it still came out too dark. The color isn't bad with my complexion but its not what I hoped to achieve. I wanted a medium reddish brown color. The good thing is this demi permanent color and will wash out in about a month's time.
There were a few good things about this product. It was easy to apply, very gentle on my hair,didn't burn my scalp and the color came out a very rich dark brown and shiny. Next time I will try a lighter color.

on 8/20/2014 4:20:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Really like this product for toning freshly bleached roots. Easy to work with and smells lovely.

My natural hair is a level 6, very thick and very healthy. I have been a full blonde for over 20 years and a Dye It Yourself blonde for the last 10 years. I have only used professional products and never a drugstore box product. All the products I use can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply, very cheaply.

Here is my process.
Root length anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" (depending on how long I have waited between touch-ups)

BLEACH
1.Mix bleach (I use Quick Blue for "On & Off Scalp Application" Powder Bleach) to the consistency of a fluffy whipped cream or thickish cake batter with a 30 Volume Developer (any brand will do - I have used most of them) in a plastic coloring bowl. This does not need to be an exact science, just get it to a consistency you feel comfortable working with.
Thicker consistency the faster the lifting.
Thinner consistency the slower the lifting.
Too thick, then it will dry too fast on the hair and once it dries, it's not working.

2. Section DRY, unwashed hair into 4 quadrants. I find the natural oils in unwashed hair help protect your scalp a bit during the process.
Start applying bleach to back sections first. My hair in the back is more resistant to lifting than in the front. As a note, I have someone help me with the back since I find it impossible to reach around and section thin, even pieces. Continue sectioning and applying to roots until your entire head is covered. This takes about 25 minutes to do.
3. Let it develop for approximately 40 to 60 minutes. I will put a shower cap on during this time to trap some of the heat from my scalp to aid in the lifting process. This is not necessary just something I do. I start timing once all of my hair is covered in product. Check often to see if the hair is lifting to a pale yellow. Not gold but yellow (like the inside of a banana). If you find after say 75 minutes you are still very gold then you may have to do the above process again (Double Lift). I have never had to do this but it is possible. Note: this could be very damaging to thin or unhealthy hair.
4. Rinse out. Do NOT use shampoo. Hair will feel dry, coarse and slightly gummy.
My freshly bleached roots will be pale yellow with slight gold tones in the shaft. I guess the contrast of my fresh roots against my previously colored hair shows any gold that may be present.

PROTEIN FILLER (To help the toner to deposit more evenly on your treated hair)
5. Towel dry briefly and SPRAY on "Colorful Neutral Protein Filler". Use a large tooth comb (gently) to distribute product through hair. Let sit for 20 minutes. Read the reviews on Sally's Beauty Supply to understand this product better.
6. After 20 minutes hair should only be slightly damp. If necessary, use a towel to remove most of the moisture to speed up the process. Hair is now ready to be toned. Slightly damp to fully dry hair can be toned.

TONE (To remove any brassiness, even out the color and deposit a color tone you desire)
7. Mix 1 part toner (i.e. I use ION Color Brilliance Demi-Permanent Color in 10N-10.0) with 2 part ION Sensitive Scalp 10 Volume Developer into a squirt bottle with a long pointed, angled neck (i.e. 2 oz. Toner + 4 oz. 10 Vol Developer).
8. Apply to all roots first. Working it with your fingers along the roots.
9. After roots are covered, then apply to hair shaft and ends. Use a large tooth comb to distribute product from root to shaft.
Total Time maximum 15 minutes. Start timing from the moment you START applying the toner.

10. Shower - wash, condition and deep condition.
I use the following after lifting and toning:
Shampoo: ION Color Defense Sulphate Free Shampoo
Conditioner: ION Color Defense After-Color Sealer
Deep Conditioner: Any super moisturizing deep conditioner. I leave this on for 20 minutes while in a shower cap. Then rinse, and let my hair dry naturally overnight.

Next day... shiny, healthy hair. :) I do not like ash or gold tones in my hair. I prefer a pale ever so slight sand blonde.

As a note: You can use the ION Color Brilliance Demi-Permanent "Clear 00-0.0" formulation on your hair a week or two later to add more shine and silkiness.

Hope that helps some new DIY Blondes.

I was absolutely terrified to use a hair color that didn't include a box or a professional. I researched and researched and watched YouTube videos and read tons of reviews before deciding to take the plunge and try Ion's Demi Permanent Hair Color.

My hair is aging, thin, fragile, dull, dry and lifeless. Pretty much the worst hair imaginable (at least to me). I stopped getting my hair professionally colored about 2 years ago when I could no longer stomach spending $150 every six to eight weeks. So I did some research and decided to start using Revlon's Colorsilk. The first several times I used it, my hair looked and felt great, but over time it seemed to be drier and more damaged even though I hardly had any noticeable split ends. It just looked extremely unhealthy. I read that even though Colorsilk has no ammonia, over time it does damage your hair. My hair could not take any more abuse, so I decided to try a demi permanent color.

I washed my hair with Ion's color-safe clarifying shampoo to get rid of product buildup, but did not use a conditioner. Instead I let my hair air dry, then I saturated it with the Ion Pre-Color Treatment spray. I pulled out a small section of hair at the nape of my neck (about a 1/4 inch thick section) and did a color test. It looked good, so I went for it!

My natural color is a level 4-5, but my current hair was more like a level 6 and was lifeless and brassy. I wanted my color to be richer and deeper. My hair normally pulls orange and then gets brassy as the color fades, so I chose to mix 1 oz. of 7N (Medium Blonde) and 1 oz. of 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) with 2 oz. of #10 Ion developer. I left it on for 35 minutes, but watched carefully as it developed. I followed up with half a packet Ion Color Defense After Color Sealer. I should have left the color on longer because I still have a few grays around my face. Maybe I'll do that section first next time and leave it on 10 minutes longer.

Anyway, I chose colors that were two levels lighter and got exactly what I wanted. It did turn out pretty dark, but it's a lovely chocolate brown with subtle red (not orange) highlights. I would say it took me to a level 4 -- maybe because my hair was dry & porous to start (?). My friends at work said my hair looks super healthy and shiny now!

I am hooked!!

A word of caution: Be careful with the color! I put too much on the brush and a blob fell on the front of my bathroom cabinet and now there is a huge *permanent* stain there.

First timer and I really like it. Was told to go a step lighter than my natural shade. While it looks great, next time will do some mixing and go a step and a half lighter. But very pleased with the color and results. Great gray coverage and I'm probably 50-60%. Hair has depth and shine. Initially when my scalp and face started to break out in blisters when professionally colored in the salon, my colorist insisted that my problem was the developer. But I'd done my research, and knew it was the PPD. I used Jazzing prior to this and despite using heat and leaving on for almost 90 min, it just barely took. This product is exactly what I was looking for- takes beautifully.

Popular Hair Color Products