Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.9

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 8/25/2016 7:57:00 PM

I deleted previous favorable review because as I have continued to use it (pale ash blond) on my brassy incorrectly hairlighted hair (virgin hair level 6) I have seen that it actually LIGHTENED my virgin grow out hair one shade to made my virgin hair a brassy orange...I had no idea it could do this!! Horrible!! That sets me back in growing out my subdued natural haircolor for many more months. Am disappointed. However, on previously highlighted hair; yes, beware, it can darken a LOT, but, used with care and proper timing, it is a good product. Comments appreciated~. Thx. (PS: I used 10 volume developer only.)
...Spent time and thoughts studying WHAT was lightening my precious virgin ash blond hair and have discovered it may have NOT been any Ion demi, but John Frieda cool blond gloss...Have read it can/will lighten natural color..even one shade lighter on fine (level 6) hair can turn it ORANGE. Darn.

on 6/20/2016 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I had very light brown hair with a ton of red tones from previous lightening. I used 6n with red/gold corrector and 10 vol developer. I wanted to go a bit darker, medium brown. I spoke to the employee at Sally and she first suggested 5n, but after I explained how porous my hair was and I knew Ion went dark easily, we decided on 6n. 6n is "dark blonde". I used a 1:1 ratio just like the instructions stated for "deepening."

The Sally employee told me to leave it on for 45 minutes. My strand test was on for 30 minutes and turned brown. It seemed fine, so I applied it on my whole head. I did the roots first since they were the most red. Then I did the lengths and rinsed after 30 minutes. My hair was jet black.

After more research the two things I would suggest to prevent this are to leave it on porous hair for a very short time, and/or use a protein filler. I always read reviews that said "OMG IT TURNED MY HAIR BLACK" and thought they just didn't know what they were doing. Well, I'm not a professional, but I'm also not a dummy, and yes, it turned my hair black too.

I couldn't believe a blonde hair dye turned my hair that dark. I expected a brown. The only reason I gave it two stars was because I had used their high lift blondes years ago and they were awesome. But I would never recommend this brand if you have porous hair and do not want to go very dark.

I purchased this in the shade 9na. Since i heard demis run dark, i was expecting a level 7 or 8. I applied this all over my blonde roots to create an subtle ombre effect. After 10 or 15 min, i noticed the color turning into a sandy brown so i rinsed it out. My results were a toned ashy blonde. It was no darker than before. This is a nice shade to tone brassy blondes. Ill use this to tone next time i bleach!

on 10/24/2015 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am very impressed with Ion. I have been coloring my hair for the last 3 years. All sorts of colors,however, this time I wanted to try something more natural. So i had Rose colored hair (Ion Color Brilliance Brights), I wanted to cover it with a blonde color. Looking for something that isnt permanent ,I decided upon Demi permanent. I bought the shade "Lightest Golden Blonde ". I was very impressed. It came out beautiful . My hair even felt healthier. I used it with 10vl developer. It was a beautiful golden blonde,not brassy,but natural looking blonde. I give it 5 lipsticks.
TIP:Since its no lift,the color will come out darker than the swatch so get within a few shades of what u currently have (Dont get a blonde dye if you have black hair),get lighter than you want because it comes out darker. You can also dilute it with the Clear shafe to make the color more true to the swatch. I am going to try the shade "Lightest Natural Blonde". I'll be back to review that shade.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Ok gang, I initially had a list of pros and cons and gave this line from Ion a not-so-nice review but have since changed my tune.

I will say this first; this demi color (as with any dye) will vary in result based off your beginning color, hair health, and application. Duh. Ok that being said, I have had a recent awesome result but previously not very awesome results and while I may veer away from blaming of thyself (i.e. unlikely expectations and lack of knowledge) it is also my nonprofessional and trial with [extreme] error experience that the lighter colors in this line [blondes, light browns, lighter reds] don't tend to yield best results.

Again, I am a salon and stylist of my bathroom therefore all of my conclusions are drawn from common sense and personal experience

Moving on...
I recently had light brown hair with highlights. The orange/red undertones kept rearing their ugly head so I decided Fuck It, let's go with that. Well sort of. Mixed 3rv [labeled as Idk what; reddish brown violet] 10.volume developer and ions type for olaplex additive.
Left on for 25 minutes, rinsed and hair was very dark nearly black but with a nice burgundy tint.
After a couple of washes, now have this gorgeous dark red/deep burgundy color. Highlighted hair obviously lighter but still holding color giving a well blended effect.
What impressed me most was the quality my hair was left in. Glossy, voluminous, soft, tangle free. And I know this isn't the olaplex dupe because I use that in conjunction with wella or loreal and it's still dry and brittle.
No, my hair is actually better altering coloring. And it is beautiful.

Being fair skinned and naturally a ginger- tho who knows at this point- the dark red looks fantastic and I've gotten many a compliment.

Now, this positivity train does make a couple unpleasant stops. The color is still rinsing out hence pink water, stained pillowcases, And fear for potential rainy days and the whole Bleeding From My Scalp look which may put some people off.
However, I'll take it.
I would not switch from this color. Which is saying a lot since I'm a habitual changer of products

I just colored my dry, damaged hair yesterday with the Ion demi-permanent black (1NA) hair color and it came out wonderfully! My hair doesn't feel or look dry OR damaged! However, I did use the Ion pre-color treatment as well as the after-color treatment since my previous hair color was very uneven from my last coloring that I did a few weeks ago using a box color from Wal-mart. I just hope that this color lasts its 24 shampoos like it is supposed to. I use the Pureology line for shampoo and conditioner so I'm sure that it will stay for awhile. I can't wait to color my hair again with the Ion line!

on 4/15/2014 7:37:00 AM

Did not like this at all! Did not cover my grey! Washed right out and left me with ash grey roots! Iam a natural darker blonde and used the 8n, left it on for 35-40 mins and when I wased it out I could still see grey right away! It didn't burn ,but it didn't accomplish anything either! I am going back to ion permanant color, I have used that for years, just thought this might be a bit gentler on my scalp!

This is great color!
I have 20% grey, am a natural level 5 and ash. I had been highlighting my hair to a level 7 base with highlights a level 9. Decided to go dark again, but not to my natural dark ash level.I wanted to tone and cover my grey, add shine and bring my color down to a level 6 with a little warmth. Chose level 8 Natural.This color does go on dark and has warmth. Choose 2 shades lighter than what you desire. I mixed 2 oz color to 4 oz developer per directions, though you could mix 2 oz color to 2 oz developer for better grey coverage.
Added 5 drops of unred by Ardell. I pull red and wanted to counter the red a bit. 1st time I used it. It did turn the color dark, as others have said, so i used just a bit. Not sure if I saw an effect, so next time will use more but not the whole packet.
This color is great for great shine and depositing translucent color. It toned my grey, and covered it but not totally, but significantly. Left some of the grey colored and some translucent with color. Thats ok because I did not want flat opaque hair color. I may try mixing in the 2 oz color to 2 oz developer next time to get better grey coverage per the directions.
I left it on my roots for 30 mins and pulled it through the rest for 12 mins. My hair is porous from the highlighting. The color grabbed well through the mid length, though less so at the roots. Glad I did not leave it on longer on length or my roots would have been lighter than length.
The smell is the most appealing I have smelled in various lines.
Btw, before this the other demi's I tried were Clairol demi soy 4 plex: no shine at all, little grey coverage, threw it out. Tried Clairol Radiance-great shine, no grey coverage.
This color does a lot and all with 10 volume developer, which I prefer over more damaging 20 volume.
I will definitely stay with the Ion Demi, try the 1:1 ratio next time, add a little more UnRed.
Hope this helps you in your decision making :)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My hair is naturally dark brown, with a lot of gray. I love demi permanents but don't need the box, the gloves and conditioner. I love, love, love Ion Brilliance! I color every two or three weeks, and mix 1 tablespoon 5N Light Natural Brown and 1 tablespoon 4N Medium Natural Brown with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the Ion Brilliance Sensitive Scalp 10 volume developer (3% peroxide). This combo ends up the perfect dark brown (comparable to a drugstore color's "Medium Ash Brown" or "Medium Natural Brown"). I mix it in a bowl and apply with a coloring brush, parting the hair with a rat-tail comb (using Costco disposable gloves). This takes time, versus dumping it onto your hair directly from the bottle, but this way I am able to cover everything strategically and not waste color. It smells very gentle and pleasant. I leave it in for 30-40 minutes, rinse out and put in my own conditioner. This gives me excellent gray coverage; shiny hair; and natural-looking color. I buy the color and developer on sale at Sally's and it is much cheaper and much better quality than drugstore color, but you have to be willing to measure and mix it yourself. For a young person looking for dramatic color change, this might not be the thing, but for me it is perfect. I read somewhere that drugstore demi permanents come with 20 volume developer (6% peroxide) so that they only take 10 minutes to work, and consequently they smell very harsh and I feel that they leave a line of demarcation that this does not. Hint: Wait until you are done coloring before rinsing out your color bowl and brush, so you can re-do any wisps at the hairline that did not get covered.

on 3/2/2013 7:37:00 PM

This is an amazing demi-permanent hair color. I will be using this again and again. I went through selecting 4 different demi-permanents from ION to correct my copper red hair that I wanted, I was progressing from being a platinum blonde for the past couple years. The copper was just impossible to keep, so I picked out 3 red bases from Ion, but I settled on 5N Light Natural Brown... Which I will let you know 5N is not Light Natural Brown, it's more of a Chocolate Brown. 5N is a chocolate brown if you've ever seen 5N before. I think the names are misleading. But anyways, I left the hair color on my roots for 15 minutes the first time initially and my ends for 5. Yes my hair looked black, and I did freak out but the color came out a stunning chocolate brown, unfortunately my roots still red/brown. I did a second process about two hours later just on my roots and left it on for about 10 minutes and it evened out my hair perfectly.

My pros: makes hair unbelievably shiny, brush-able, soft, and smells wonderful.

My cons: if anything they need to edit the names they use for their products.

Before I used this product my hair was dry as the Sahara, and I wanted to cry every time I brushed it. The color is great and for an ammonia free non damaging product it is a win. My hair looks like it has soft caramel blonde and red highlights put through. I will definitely be using this product for awhile. It is even holding my curls better. HG for sure.

Popular Hair Color Products