Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

4.5

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 1/22/2019 3:50:00 PM

I always use this after i have highlighted my hair since i’m usually stuck with brassy areas near my roots, not always but no matter how long the bleach is on i get this and i use 40 volume developer but i have medium to dark brown hair naturally. And i do not want to attempt redoing the highlights so i get medium natural brown in ion demi and do a reverse bayalage technique to apply it. Never fails my hair always looks great and it really softens it and gives it life. Just be aware it develops a lot darker but will than fade over time so go for a shade 1-2 shades lighter than what you want if you don’t want your hair being to dark at first. Also it’s great for bleach damaged hair i have had severe bleach damage and weaved this in throughout my head and it instantly makes my hair look and feel healthy and has stopped the dry brittleness it had before. I will never use permanent colour again as it’s damaging and faded to a brassy colour due to the lifting demi will not lighten your hair so you should not have that brassy fade. And it fades over a month so safe for people with natural hair colours to try to go darker as it will fade out and not leave roots.

I used this for the first time just now and I’m shocked. I was certain that I would be making an appt tomorrow with my stylist to fix a f*ck up. I used the demi-permanent 4N shade, which was close to the same color in another brand my hair stylist had used on me. I had about an inch of roots, and my natural hair color is about a level 7. My goal was to darken my roots and refresh my overall color. I mixed the color with the ion 10 volume developer (2 oz color to 4oz developer). I sectioned my hair and used a brush and bowl to put the dye on a section at a time, then I rubbed it all in like you would shampoo. I left it in for 30 mins after doing a strand test on a small section underneath my hair. I could tell before I even washed it out after 30 mins that everything was going to turn out ok. I rinsed it and washed it, and then I used L’Oréal damage erasing balm to condition. After blow drying and using my usual leave-ins, it looked pretty darn ok. My roots were blended with the rest of the hair and it is all pretty even. It’s not super shiny and soft, but it doesn’t feel more damaged either. I’m pretty happy with it. I think next time I will use permanent on the roots though. I would buy this again for sure.

on 11/16/2015 11:05:00 PM

I spent a ton of time researching this before I used it and am HUGELY grateful for the advice and comments below - so I was well prepared to expect 2 shades darker, etc. So true!

I'm naturally a 5 or so but have been using box Color in mostly 6s for a few years. My hair just hadn't looked healthy or natural and I've wanted to come up with an easy way to do my hair at home without destroying it. I chose 6nb with a 10 vol and used a 1:2 ratio.

I did the strand/allergy test and was prepared to go one level darker based on the results. it ended up being a rich color halfway between a 4 and a 5 if I was buying a box color from the drugstore. I love it - the process itself was a little stressful as the cream is more difficult to apply and I wasn't sure that 2 oz of color and 4 oz of developer was enough. It was - just barely. If your hair is longer than shoulder length I'd buy 2 packages to be on the safe side. I am so used to overwhelming dye smells but this product had no powerful odours and didn't sting at all. I have psoriasis so colouring my hair usually really hurts. This was a breeze!!!

So far I'm very very happy - but would want to echo other comments re going darker. Be careful if you expect dark blonde to look "typically blonde" - it's a lovely chocolate brown.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I purchased the shade 4RV along with their 10 volume developer as I was looking to darken my hair from my current color which is a level 6 light brown to a nice dark burgundy wine shade for Fall.

First I sprayed my hair from the mid-shaft to the ends with Zotos Porosity Equalizer since my hair was previously lightened. Then I mixed 1 tube of the 4RV (2 oz) with 2 oz of developer since the instructions said to deepen color use a 1:1 ratio. I applied it to my roots first and then went back and did my mid shaft to ends and processed for 25 minutes.

As I suspected the color initially came out SUPER dark, especially at my roots. It was almost black with a burgundy tint in the light however after a couple of washes with head and shoulders my hair is now a dark burgundy shade although it took a bit longer for my roots to lighten up. So in future I'd color all of my hair at the same time so it processes evenly.

Now that I have the shade I desire I am washing my root area with sulfate free shampoo every 3-4 days and using Pantene CC on my mid shafts to ends since red fades quickly and plan to use the Ion Color Brilliance Temporary Color Masque in Hot Red to see if it helps to keep the color vibrant.

My hair is so shiny and healthy looking and I've gotten tons of compliments since coloring my hair. I plan on purchasing their 4RV in the permanent line when my roots start to show but will be using the demi permanent color to refresh the lengths of my hair to minimize unnecessary damage.. For color refreshing the instructions recommend mixing a 1:2 ratio (so for me it will be 1 oz of color to 2 oz of developer). Overall I'm super happy with the results. I have before and after pictures in my gallery.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I absolutely love ion demi permanents! The color selection is fantastic. I like to use them on clients (and myself!) for lowlights in blonde hair. I've tried basically all of them. The best are the cream demis. A personal favourite is the 6W (it's a warm red blonde); it turns out to be a darker auburn color but is so beautiful.
These hair colors tend to fade quickly but it's just because they are demi permanent. It happens! If you want it to last longer, go for a permanent shade.
I personally enjoy the fact that they fade quickly. I can switch up low light colors on myself frequently and keep my hair supa fresh :)
Use this with a 10 vol. to deposit color. You can use 20/30 vol with this (but chemically it then changes to a permanent color, so please use caution.) It will lift the color a shade or two with the higher volume developers though, so perfect if you are a yellowy/brassy color and need toning and enhancement. The smell is very gentle and so is the formula. It leaves the hair feeling soft and manageable, not dry and crispy. It seems to fix over-bleached, damaged hair quite a bit and adds a nice glaze/shine. It is great to use in place of a toner and can actually work better than a toner for the most part!
Try following up your color treatment with an Ion Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner, also two amazing products from Ion. Stay fabulous!

on 2/26/2014 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought ion demi color to use for year while I was dying my hair darker. I always use demi when going darker to only deposit color and little damage to hair. I have found good color combos to use with ion. I wanted a pretty meduim auburn shade. I used 9ng with 4rc, light natural golden blonde and medium copper brown. Beautiful auburn shade. I added the blond with it so it didn't come out too dark. perfect. The shades do run a bit dark. I mix ratio 2:1 with volume 10 developer. Buy a shade or 2 lighter then what you want, but it is shiny and long lasting. I find I use the 9ng a lot as mixing shade so ash tonesare not too ashy and same with neutrals. The neutrals are nice on own though. The 9ng is not very light a name suggests. More a medium to dark golden blond FYI. More yellow gold rather than red though. That is why i mix, to not get too much red if I want a darker golden brown. Buy neutral brown and add golden blond.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this in light golden brown and it turned out dark dark brown lol it doesn't look bad I like it and I've gotten a lot of compliments already! I would use it and buy it again its $3.49 with your sallys card. I would suggest to becarful when choosing the color because they run dark but I'm sure you can keep washing it till you lighten it to the shade you like. Good product especially for the price.

on 8/9/2011 1:21:00 AM

This is a good dye but it does run extremely dark. So dark that I felt compelled to write a review, which I haven't done in ages. I've used this hair color many times with good results. I've always tried to deepen the color of my hair, so the fact that it ran very dark didn't bother me. I still chose 2 shades lighter than my desired shade and I was always happy.

This time I decided I didn't want to deepen the color, but just take the red out of it. My hair is a dark reddish brown right now. The last time I dyed it (which was with this dye) was probably 4 months ago. I knew I wasn't going to lighten it but I just wanted it the same color (or slightly darker) and to cover up the red.

I have very thick, longish hair. I used a tube of light neutral brown and a tube of clear. I also used a ratio of 1:2 for dye to developer so the color wasn't so concentrated. I figured the clear would add shine and cut the color as well. I left the mixture on for 20 minutes and washed and dried. It's nearly black!

I'm not super upset because the color doesn't look bad on me and it is very shiny and pretty. But I just can't give a 5 star review to something that runs 3-4 shades dark. Use this dye with caution! It is a good product but it runs very, very dark.

on 12/12/2010 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is really the best hair dye out there - permanent or demi. I have tried every dye out there including natural, organic, henna based, chemical, etc. I used this on a friends hair a couple of months ago in 8N light natural blonde mixed with a little of the lightest golden brown. She has medium to dark brown hair. The shine was incredible and it covered the few grays that she had and made them look like highlights.
I decided to use it on my hair b/c my highlights were fading and looking brassy and my new growth was coming in way more gray than i would have liked. I have dark blonde/light brown hair naturally and am about 25 percent gray. The gray is also kind of clustered in certain areas. Since my hair turns red/brassy no matter what, I was nervous to use anything but an ash color. But I needed to cover the grays, so I had to mix some natural in with the ash to try and get some coverage (the ash colors really won't cover the gray, they just tone the hair). I mixed 3/4 lightest Ash blonde 10A with 1/4 light natural blonde 8N. I left it on my roots for about 20 minutes and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they would not grab too much color. I also used the ion pre color spray treatment (really good stuff). I am blown away with the condition of my hair. It feels healthier than before (my hair is still quite damaged from too many highlights overlapping) and the color is just right. I probably could have left it on my roots a little longer for more gray coverage or maybe added some more of the 8N natural blonde, but everything just blends great. The ash toned my highlights slightly which is what I wanted. They are not too ashy or too warm, just look like natural highlights. Maybe next time I can try the 10N lightest natural blonde mixed with the 10A and leave it on longer. Overall, I am sticking to this brand of color for a long time, if not forever. I was really trying to use the all natural hair dyes, but they just are not working out for me. So, this no ammonia (but still chemical based one) is what I will be using. My hair does not look or feel like it was just dyed. It feels like my natural hair, only better!
UPDATE: I haven't used this in a while. I have been only highlighting my hair lately and it satrted to get just one color all over blonde and I started to look washed out. Add the multiplying gray hairs and it was not a good look. Took this out again this morning and mixed 3/4 8N Light natural blonde with 1/4 9A very light ash blonde. I wanted to tone the highlights, but also need to cover the grays. 1:1.5 ratio to the 10 vol. developer. WOW! My hair is in better shape than before i dyed it. I also used the ion pre color treatment and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they wouldnt grab too much color. The grays have been blended (although I think I should have left it on a little longer on the roots to get better coverage). I left it on 20 mins on the roots and then mixed with some water and pulled through to the ends. It is just so shiny and healthy looking. The blended grays at my roots look like highlights which is great. It didnt go too dark which I was afraid of and is why i rinsed off a little early. My roots just look like my natural haircolor growing in and my hair just gradually gets lighter towards the bottom. I may just use the natural and no ash on my roots next time and then mix some ash in just for a quick bush through at the ends to tone them. Whoohoo!
UPDATE AGAIN: I have been going a little more golden (eeks!) so I have been playing with other colors. Recently I used 10ng mixed with 8n. My grays are expanding and I need something that will cover them. This really made my hair shiny and golden without looking brassy or cheap. Just nice golden. Covered a lot of grays but not all. I left it on 40 minutes and used a 1:1 ratio to developer. This stuff also DOES lighten roots somewhat. No matter what, there is peroxide in the developer so left on long enough it does "break the base" of my roots. This way they r not so dark in comparison to the rest of my hair. This only happens though when I leave on longer than 30 mins or so and use a little heat. I put on a cap and use low heat on and off, focusing on my roots where the most grays are. I uploaded a pic on the main product page. I am the blonde. There are a few stray grays that look more pronounced in the pic than they do in real life. I have to also add that a few times a year I put highlights in my hair and the rest of the time I use the ion Demi to stain my grays to look like highlights. Much less damaging and seems to be working out well.! My natural color has darkened through the years to probably a light brown/dark blonde with golden highlights.
Another edit: just FYI that the NB (neutral blonde) in this line can be a little off in color. I have tried it on myself And others and it just never seems quite right. A little reddish with a strange undertone. Just wanted to share that if anyone is considering that color group from this line. All other colors have been fantastic though!!!
UPDATE::: 2-2015
My hair is light right now bc we went away over February break. The grays and my roots were coming in but I did not want to darken my hair so I tried the lightest color of the ion demi line. 10N lightest natural blonde. I only put it on my roots and left on for almost an hour. I used a cap and heat on and off. I only let it touch the rest of my hair mid shaft and length when I was rinsing it out so it wouldn't darken the rest of my hair at all. I was liking the highlights and didn't want them changed, I just wanted to roots to blend in. My grays are multiplying and I need to keep up on the new growth. This worked out really well! I didn't know if the 10n would cover the grays but it did and it lightened my darker roots enough to blend them. It also did not darken the rest of my hair. Yay!

on 9/13/2010 1:49:00 PM

This has been a great solution for coloring my grays. I am about 15% gray, with dark hair (a 4 in permanent hair colors). I used to get my hair highlighted, but don't like dramatic highlights, only dimension, so the salon would use a 5 for highlights and 4 to cover all the extra grays.

Using the ION in a lighter color than my natural shade has given me the dimension I'm looking for, as well as completely covering my grays. I agree with other reviews though -- I use a 7 vs. the 5 I used to. I mix this in a 1:1 ratio for my roots and add more developer to freshen up the rest of my hair. I leave it on for 40 minutes. My grays end up looking like really subtle highlights.

* Color (I use 7N) is not brassy
* Lasts a long time. I wash my hair every 4 days or so, which probably helps, but my grays grow out long before the color starts to fade.
* Does not seem to damage my hair - definitely more gentle than permanent hair color.

Overall, I am thrilled to have found this (and thanks to other reviewers!!). I don't have that one-color unnatural look from permanent dyes, and am not spending the $$ and all that time at the salon for highlights.