Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This review is for the Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi Permanent in the colour 6rc-6.4 Dark Copper Blonde. Before I start I wanna just say I'm Canadian, so you're going to see the Canadian spelling of the word "color" throughout this review, lol (just wanted to mention that in case people thought I was spelling it wrong the whole time). First my hair history is as follows: I had been having my hair coloured at a professional salon for months and months. The colour I had was a level 7 copper, so a shade lighter, but I wasn't pleased with it. The colourist, no matter what I said, did not process the lengths of my hair long enough, so my roots were always brighter and the lengths would wash out so quickly. With red hair, you have to refresh your entire head more often than other people do with other hair colours, and for some reason this colourist did not seem to understand that. I decided to try sally's and to achieve as similar a colour as possible on my own, so at first I used L'oreal Techniques Excellence Creme (Permanent) in the shade 7.43 Dark Copper Golden Blonde. That colour worked for a while, but when it faded it would become too light for my liking, but I did like how it looked fresh because it was a nice natural copper redhead shade. When it faded, it looked obviously unnatural and sort of too orangey. I decided I wanted to go a shade darker, and I had heard good things about this colour and brand from a youtuber. Her name is Bethany Fae, if you want to watch her video where she talks about this exact colour. I liked how her hair looked so I decided to give this a try. By the way, my natural colour is a level 7 light auburn. My hair is mostly light brown but with natural golden and copper highlights. So I tried this colour and noticed numerous things. Firstly, it didn't take to my roots as well as permanent colour does. Secondly, while it did not take to my roots as well as the lengths, the colour at my roots looked a bit more vibrant and red-red than my lengths, but I could still see a bit of my natural colour peaking through a tiny bit right at the scalp. I don't mind this too much because my natural hair colour seems to blend fairly well with this shade. The lengths and ends of my hair looked more copper, but this difference was very very slight and only visible under certain lighting. At first, I hated this colour. I was in shock because it was a big difference. I did not have the experience of it going black or super dark, like many others report with this colour, it was the right darkness for my liking and accurate to the swatch at sally's. I felt, however, that the colour was too bright and scary and not natural looking. It is not my goal to look like Rihanna, or Jessica Rabbit, and I do not want neon or super true red hair. I freaked out and thought it looked like that (it didn't, it was just too bright at first but not that bright). My goal is to achieve a natural looking colour that a real redhead might have. It was, however, extremely soft and shiny and healthy looking, much more so then when I used permanent colour. After washing it a few times, however, the colour is much better. It looks very natural now, a nice copper redhead shade and it's not too dark, but also not too light. I have washed it probably about 5 times now, and the colour does not have a faded look. Those who colour often know what I mean by that. When a colour is fresh it looks rich and shiny, but once it fades it becomes less believable and dull. That has not happened, and it looks much more natural and rich then it did at first. I think next time I will leave it on my hair for less time. I left it on for 25 minutes, with 10% developer. I think next time I will try 15-20 minutes. I might have a different opinion after I use it for a second time, so I will update this probably in the future. But at the moment, the shine and health is still there, even after washing. A lot of the time with permanent colour the hair looks shiny when it's freshly done, but as you wash it the shine goes away. That has not happened, and I think hair colour looks better and more natural when the condition of the hair is good. With that, I think for a demi permanent this colour is really good. You just have to pick the right shade, and do a strand test to make sure it's the right colour before you put it on your entire head. I did do a strand test, but I only left it on for 20 minutes, so I think next time I will do that on my whole head. If you really need your roots completely covered, or you have greys, I don't know if this will work for you. But there is no harm in doing a strand test to figure that out. Don't just go into it blindly and put it on your hair without checking it first on a small strand. You are a lot less likely to have a disaster that way.

UPDATE:
I have moved on. I did use this probably about 4 or 5 times, I gave it a good run. What I liked was how long the colour lasted, and that the roots wouldn't come out with a clear line. But it never fully took to my roots the same way it took to the rest of my hair, so eventually it would rinse out where I coloured last and looked like I hadn't dyed my roots in much longer than it actually had been. Also, the violet/purple base at the beginning just wasn't doing it for me. By the time it faded to a nice colour, my roots had grown in/the colour faded off my roots, and it didn't look good enough for me. I did dilute it with clear, by the way, but even still it didn't look right. I am now using the One n Only Argan Oil permanent creme color in 6rg Dark Tangerine Blonde and it is muchhhhhhhh better. The colour beats this one hands down. I have a review for that too, if you are interested.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff saved me! Let me tell you how before I get into a technical review.
I have been getting my hair dyed since I was 13/14 anywhere from almost black to milky blonde (I wish it was still milky blonde hah!). I started cosmetology school in 2011 and was going to a wedding and got my hair dyed very dark brown only to wake up the next day to swelling on my scalp, itchy blotchy skin and my lymph nodes were the size of grapes under my skin. I went to the emergency room and they told me I had an allergic reaction to the hair dye, to which I said "I do hair! I've been getting my hair dyed for years and I dye hair everyday... I cannot be allergic to hair dye." - Boy, was I wrong. After another week of severe pain and itching and washing my hair 50+ times, I found an article online about PPD reactions and I was the textbook case! I felt hopeless...

I was in school to be a hairdresser and I am suddenly allergic to hair dye... Great.

So I let my natural hair grow out for over a year (yikes) before I was brave enough to find two professional hair dyes that didn't contain PPD and let me feel pretty again and ION COLOR BRILLIANCE DEMI PERMANENT WAS ONE OF THEM! WOO YEAH!

PACKAGING: Cardboard box - Coated metal tube holding 2 oz of product - Purple plastic screw on lid with poking device to open metal seal.

COLOR SELECTION: If you're using this for yourself, the color selection is enough but I find as a stylist that I would like a wider variety of colors if I chose to use this on clients (I currently don't because I can't do color correction with the colors available).

TEXTURE/SMELL: If used with the ION Sensitive Scalp developer (I highly reccomend) this stuff smells like Granny Smith Apples! No joke... It's one of the least offensive hair dye smells I have ever come across. I do find it hard to mix in a hurry, you need to slowly add the developer (your choice of 2oz or 4oz depending on your need) and mix a lot to get a smooth texture or my suggestion is to buy a mini whisk which will cut back on the mixing time tremendously. It is pretty thick and creamy and easy to spread without being too watery.

LASTING POWER: This stuff isn't permanent, but it's the closest I've ever come to permanent haircolor. I use 3+4N and althought it does wash out a but, it lasts months. Just because it is demi doesn't mean it will eventually come out of your hair, so be careful not to get a lot of color buildup or you'll have a hard time lightening your hair if you decide to. I don't reccomend using a dark demi permanent color along with very light highlights as there is a big chance for color transfer onto your beautiful blonde streaks which might ruin them. With demi haircolor, it is always best to shampoo in luke warm to cold water which will DRAMATICALLY increase the life of your haircolor. For me, it's around 6-9 weeks.

AVAILABILITY: Luckily for everybody, this is avaible at Sally's which means anybody can walk up and buy it!

PRICE: Cost at Sally's is $4.99 online without a discount. For the developer, I seriously, seriously think you should try the ION Sensitive Scalp 10 volume cream developer and a bottle enough for two applications is only $3.19.

TIPS: Wash hair in cool water - Wash hair as least frequent as possible - Don't use a dark demi permanet color along with light blonde highlights as it may bleed - 3N is basically black so be warned ahead of time - Use 4oz instead of 2oz developer - With demi hair color you will see some color the first week of washing so don't be alarmed.

RESULTS: Very shiny hair! Some hair color can leave you looking flat but this has something in it that makes the hair very, very shiny after dying. Of course, it won't stay that way without touch ups, but for the first 3 weeks it is very shiny. I have found that the colors run a tad darker on your actual hair than the hair samples at the store, so if you're wanting brown or dark brown hair, I would NOT go darker than a 4. I use a 3 mixed and it turns it very, very dark.

This product is a great hair dye for those who have a PPD allergy or those who don't even want to risk it and go for something more gentle. Perfect for people who like a "real" hairdye but not so scary and doesn't have a 100+ color selection so it's great for beginners.

on 7/8/2012 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I am in the process of going back to brown hair, my hair started to fall and has gotten really thin due to high lift permanent color, highlights and bleach, it was down to my waist and now is at chest level. Did a lot of research before choosing this brand since my hair and scalp can't take the multiple root touch up I was doing monthly. I am happy that going back up in the color scale is pretty easy considering that it took me a little under two years to become a level 11 blonde. Two days ago I bought Ion Demi in 8N mixed with 10V, sprayed the pre-color treatment and left the mix for 25 minutes since I had so many different shades of blonde. Color came out pretty uniform and darker as everyone has mentioned, on me it's a dark warm blonde/very light warm brown depending on the light. Hair feels soft, looks shiny and I hope I am on my way to having beautiful, long, shiny healthy hair again.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Ok, brought this for the non-damaging effects to my natural 4c hair, and headed the word to the wise and went 3 shades lighter than what I wanted. I did do a test strip on a side lock of hair with the 7NB and well, it wasn't blond at all. The color was a warm light brown, with coppery highlights. The copper may have been from the orange base from me lifting my hair to take the lighter color, but the tone was off. I would think that it would negate the orange to be more neutral, and I probably should have gone with the ash, but the color was too reddish to do the entire head. I was going for a taupe-brown, cool and light, not reddish.
We will have to see how it dries, but luckily, I can head to Sally's to get the ash in a level 9 and possibly end up with what I am looking for.

on 1/11/2012 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I think I've got the right combo down. I've got hair that's naturally a medium brown ash w/some lighter ash in it that's now got more greys than I'd like... for the past 2 years I've been trying to figure out how to hide them but keep my hair as natural as possible. I was very happy with the glaze I've been getting for the past year but unfortunately my hair keeps getting DARKER AND DARKER and it's just not what I want. I need to have a bit more control...I've added some highlights. and went w/Medium Ash Blonde, Medium Neutral Blonde equal parts Developer. 40 Minutes. Then I add Light Ash Blonde & Clear to the mix to pull thru the length for about 5 - 10 minutes. I tried the 25 minutes recommended and again 30 minutes (didnt cover greys either time), so the 40 mins works for me. The shine is INCREDIBLE, and my hair doesnt feel ravaged (and i didnt use a conditioner after rinsing). I don't wash my hair for a few days after I color...for me... it always seems to help when I leave my hair be for everything to settle before I wash it (I'll definitely go two days at least)!!! And for me, conditioning after coloring just seems to wash the color out & away.

Popular Hair Color Products