Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin type : Other
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

4.8

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 12/2/2017 1:13:00 PM

After a long year of dyeing my hair every color under the sun, I wanted to go back to my natural level 8 ash blonde. I tried achieving that at home with color remover and bleach, and ended up with orange Leeloo hair from Fifth Element.

The salon I chose was able to color correct it to my natural, however the color they used washed out with four washes and I had brassy orange blonde hair. I had my hair toned twice by the salon and decided I could not afford to come back every two weeks to have my hair corrected when it would just wash out (they used permanent toner and color on my hair).

I bought this at Sally’s because it was five dollars and I thought, why the heck not? I’d rather do this at home every two weeks myself than pay hundreds to have a professional do the same thing.

I bought 7 NA blonde, mixed it with 4 oz Ion sensitive 10 developer, and left it on my hair for 5 minutes. I didn’t paint every piece, I slapped it on my head like conditioner, worked it through, and brushed it down. After five minutes, I jumped in the shower, rinsed it out, shampooed, and conditioned.

Wa-lah! My hair is a beautiful medium-dark ash blonde. Almost exactly the same color that I was paying for in the salon, for 95% cost savings. And, this color lasted 3 weeks before I had to do it again (the second time I left it on for 3 minutes to get the same result). I’m so pleased. This color was exactly what I wanted and my hair doesn’t feel any more damaged than it was before I started.

Word of advice: If your hair is porous like mine and you are looking to tone down brassiness, I think you will deeply regret leaving this on your head for longer than five minutes. The hair in my brush that had this color on it for twenty minutes was medium brown.

I

on 8/27/2013 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This color is very gentle to hair and very natural looking. You must go up two levels as results are dark. I use medium blonde natural to get a light brown on my dark brown hair with over 50% gray. I leave color on roots for 45 minutes, and 5 to 10 minutes on the lengths of my hair. I get perfect gray coverage. I like the fact that it fades so I don't get that stark contrast with gray/white roots. I color every 3 weeks for root coverage, so fading is not an issue. I use Ion Daily Repair Conditioner (which is fabulous) and my hair is in great shape.

I have tried numerous types of demi haircolor, and this gives me salon quality results for a very, very reasonable price. It covers gray EXTREMELY well, and doesn't fade too fast if you mostly use sulfate free shampoos and/or conditioner washes. My one caution is that the shades run dark. I would recommend going 2 shades LIGHTER than you think you need, especially if your hair has been processed before. If you are covering a lot of gray, I recommend mixing your chosen shade with one of the "natural" shades to make up for missing pigment in the gray hairs. Use the recommended pre and post color treatments for even better results. I could NOT live without this brand of color. I ADORE IT!

It's a little premature to say that I'll NEVER pay for salon color again but if getting the color you desire is this easy, I will definitely hesitate. I'll first start by saying that I read A LOT of reviews here and whatever I could find online about this line before attempting it on my own. I have learned that I'm about a level 3 brunette and my hair pulls red no matter what any colorist has done to me in the past. I originally wanted to do a color that cancelled out any of the red in my hair (ash) but I chickened out and went with the "natural" shades instead hoping to just tone down the warmth. Because I read over and over again how dark this color comes I chose 4N and 5N and mixed them with 2 parts volume 10 developer. I like my hair a bit darker than my natural color. It came out exactly as planned and it's very shiney and soft. Love it. I will definitely be repurchasing.

on 12/3/2009 9:50:00 PM

I have now used the Ion Demi twice to cover early gray (under 10%). As noted by others, it does go on at least two shades darker than the name, so choose a lighter shade than the color you want. My natural color is medium brown, which has become more of a dark brown over the past couple of years while I used Clairol Radiance (I still like it, but prefer the Ion).

The first time with Ion Demi I used medium ash blonde to avoid darkening my hair further, and chose ash because my hair tends to pull red, and then become brassy. The med ash blonde did not darken my hair, but also did not cover the grays well - they were shinier and more silvery. The second time I used the Ion Demi only on the length with the gray and used dark neutral blonde. Much better coverage of gray and still no darkening. It has been two weeks since I used the dark neutral blonde, and there's been no fading or red tones coming through.

Ion Demi is inexpensive, without a noxious odor, and causes little or no damage to my hair. Leaves a great shine. It lasts for a month or so as demis do.

If you are using this to cover gray, a neutral (or gold if you use gold tones) color works better than an ash (Ion does recommend this on its website). Just be careful to choose a lighter color than desired because it does go on a couple of shades darker than expected.

Popular Hair Color Products