Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

4.1

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 6/4/2017 10:57:00 AM

Do not buy this product and expect to get the color from the swatch. I decided to go for 7WR, applying it over my very light brown hair, expecting to get an orange-auburn color. Instead, I got very close to black ! I will not use this product again as it is deceiving.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wanted dark brown hair and choose the medium golden brown and used the sensitive scalp volume 10 developer. My hair feels soft, the color is just the right dark brown I wanted, and the color has depth and vibrancy.

I got this in the shade 4rv to help tone down the hot pink roots I got from using L'oreal HiColor Magenta. That was an error on my part as I've used it plenty before except this time I used a higher level developer (40 instead of my usual 30/20) and left it on my roots for a few minutes too long. So the lengths of my hair were a beautiful red velvet cake red shade but the roots were a bit of a brighter pink. Nothing unbearable or anything but I wanted to even it out. So I went back to Sally's and used the hair samples to find a shade that matched my lengths and this one, 4rv burgundy brown, was the closest. All I had to do was mix 1 tablespoon of the color with 1oz of Ion Sensitive Scalp Developer Crème 10 volume and use my tinting brush to apply it to my roots. Left it on for 15 minutes, then rinsed and applied my usual conditioner mix (Matrix Conditioning Balm + Manic Panic Vampire Red for color depositing) all over and let that sit for 10 minutes in the shower. Now my roots and hair are all the same color! This is a life saver. And I have enough for several more applications after this inevitably fades since it's a demi perm. Cheap, does its job and does it well. What more could I ask for?

on 12/6/2015 11:56:00 PM

Important note: As other reviews state, this runs dark. Just how dark may vary depending on your hair's health and porosity. If you are buying for the first time, choose a shade 2 levels lighter than the color you want to achieve, strand test, and then adjust if necessary.

This is the only at home hair color I've used, so I don't have much basis for comparison. But it covers my grays, lasts for about a month (standard for a demi), doesn't irritate my scalp, and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

My natural hair color is shoulder length level 5 ash brown with 20% gray. I've experimented with a variety of different formulas that I liked, but am currently using 1oz 5N +1/2oz 6WR + 1/4 oz 4RV + 3.5 oz developer. It produces a really pretty, natural looking level 4 warm brown with red and faint gold undertones.

I am an avid at home, DYI hair person. I had recently dyed my hair a medium blonde, and toned it with Wella T-27. I decided to get away from permanent dyes, and try Demi instead. I am glad I did this, and read reviews because I achieved a beautiful level 8 medium natural/golden blonde by choosing a level 10 Demi. Make sure you choose a shade that's 2 levels lighter than what you are trying to achieve. Blonde is difficult, but try to make it close to your natural level, and you should be good to go.

on 8/19/2015 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I initially liked this line. The formulas didn't feel damaging on my fragile hair, and they are DEFINITELY way better than the average boxed dye you'd get from the drugstore. ION has always been a hit with me in the haircare department, I figured the demi dyes would be created equally.

However, I won't be repurchasing this now that I've found my "holy grail" toner (Wella Liquid Permanent Toner). There were a few dealbreakers with ION that made the choice easy:

1.) The colors turn out darker than the demonstration strands at Sallys...easily. Meaning the color that is depicted by ION, is not completely accurate. I wasn't the only one that had this issue, either. When I looked into it, I was shocked to find many others have ran into the same issue.

2.) The dye grabs unevenly. Even while using a protein filler. And then over time, it fades unevenly. To be fair - this happened with a lot of the lesser quality dyes I've tried. But my "holy grail" toner never does this to me. After a hair mistake from the pits of hell when switching to a powder lightener, I had to wear my hair up for almost a year. Not just because the lightener reeked havoc on my hair's health, but because the color was soooo patchy. I tried and tried to fix it, never realizing that ION was part of the problem.

3.) If you're going to go the ION route - save yourself some hassle and buy the liquid formula. The gel formula is harder to wash out, harder to spread/apply, and you run a way bigger risk of it over-darkening due to not being to wash it out in time.
---------------------------
Edited to add: Just so we're clear - you do not *have* to use an ION Developer. They all contain the same active ingredients, instructing you to use an ION developer with this is nothing more than a marketing scheme. I personally recommend the Blond Brilliance Developer in volume 5 (lowest % available at Sally Beauty). Demis are intended to deposit color only............using a higher volume means using more peroxide. In turn, you are further damaging your hair. I use the Blond Brilliance developer with all my hair dyes. (Just don't touch their powder lightener.... :( )

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This review is for the Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi Permanent in the colour 6rc-6.4 Dark Copper Blonde. Before I start I wanna just say I'm Canadian, so you're going to see the Canadian spelling of the word "color" throughout this review, lol (just wanted to mention that in case people thought I was spelling it wrong the whole time). First my hair history is as follows: I had been having my hair coloured at a professional salon for months and months. The colour I had was a level 7 copper, so a shade lighter, but I wasn't pleased with it. The colourist, no matter what I said, did not process the lengths of my hair long enough, so my roots were always brighter and the lengths would wash out so quickly. With red hair, you have to refresh your entire head more often than other people do with other hair colours, and for some reason this colourist did not seem to understand that. I decided to try sally's and to achieve as similar a colour as possible on my own, so at first I used L'oreal Techniques Excellence Creme (Permanent) in the shade 7.43 Dark Copper Golden Blonde. That colour worked for a while, but when it faded it would become too light for my liking, but I did like how it looked fresh because it was a nice natural copper redhead shade. When it faded, it looked obviously unnatural and sort of too orangey. I decided I wanted to go a shade darker, and I had heard good things about this colour and brand from a youtuber. Her name is Bethany Fae, if you want to watch her video where she talks about this exact colour. I liked how her hair looked so I decided to give this a try. By the way, my natural colour is a level 7 light auburn. My hair is mostly light brown but with natural golden and copper highlights. So I tried this colour and noticed numerous things. Firstly, it didn't take to my roots as well as permanent colour does. Secondly, while it did not take to my roots as well as the lengths, the colour at my roots looked a bit more vibrant and red-red than my lengths, but I could still see a bit of my natural colour peaking through a tiny bit right at the scalp. I don't mind this too much because my natural hair colour seems to blend fairly well with this shade. The lengths and ends of my hair looked more copper, but this difference was very very slight and only visible under certain lighting. At first, I hated this colour. I was in shock because it was a big difference. I did not have the experience of it going black or super dark, like many others report with this colour, it was the right darkness for my liking and accurate to the swatch at sally's. I felt, however, that the colour was too bright and scary and not natural looking. It is not my goal to look like Rihanna, or Jessica Rabbit, and I do not want neon or super true red hair. I freaked out and thought it looked like that (it didn't, it was just too bright at first but not that bright). My goal is to achieve a natural looking colour that a real redhead might have. It was, however, extremely soft and shiny and healthy looking, much more so then when I used permanent colour. After washing it a few times, however, the colour is much better. It looks very natural now, a nice copper redhead shade and it's not too dark, but also not too light. I have washed it probably about 5 times now, and the colour does not have a faded look. Those who colour often know what I mean by that. When a colour is fresh it looks rich and shiny, but once it fades it becomes less believable and dull. That has not happened, and it looks much more natural and rich then it did at first. I think next time I will leave it on my hair for less time. I left it on for 25 minutes, with 10% developer. I think next time I will try 15-20 minutes. I might have a different opinion after I use it for a second time, so I will update this probably in the future. But at the moment, the shine and health is still there, even after washing. A lot of the time with permanent colour the hair looks shiny when it's freshly done, but as you wash it the shine goes away. That has not happened, and I think hair colour looks better and more natural when the condition of the hair is good. With that, I think for a demi permanent this colour is really good. You just have to pick the right shade, and do a strand test to make sure it's the right colour before you put it on your entire head. I did do a strand test, but I only left it on for 20 minutes, so I think next time I will do that on my whole head. If you really need your roots completely covered, or you have greys, I don't know if this will work for you. But there is no harm in doing a strand test to figure that out. Don't just go into it blindly and put it on your hair without checking it first on a small strand. You are a lot less likely to have a disaster that way.

UPDATE:
I have moved on. I did use this probably about 4 or 5 times, I gave it a good run. What I liked was how long the colour lasted, and that the roots wouldn't come out with a clear line. But it never fully took to my roots the same way it took to the rest of my hair, so eventually it would rinse out where I coloured last and looked like I hadn't dyed my roots in much longer than it actually had been. Also, the violet/purple base at the beginning just wasn't doing it for me. By the time it faded to a nice colour, my roots had grown in/the colour faded off my roots, and it didn't look good enough for me. I did dilute it with clear, by the way, but even still it didn't look right. I am now using the One n Only Argan Oil permanent creme color in 6rg Dark Tangerine Blonde and it is muchhhhhhhh better. The colour beats this one hands down. I have a review for that too, if you are interested.

I just colored my dry, damaged hair yesterday with the Ion demi-permanent black (1NA) hair color and it came out wonderfully! My hair doesn't feel or look dry OR damaged! However, I did use the Ion pre-color treatment as well as the after-color treatment since my previous hair color was very uneven from my last coloring that I did a few weeks ago using a box color from Wal-mart. I just hope that this color lasts its 24 shampoos like it is supposed to. I use the Pureology line for shampoo and conditioner so I'm sure that it will stay for awhile. I can't wait to color my hair again with the Ion line!

on 2/26/2014 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought ion demi color to use for year while I was dying my hair darker. I always use demi when going darker to only deposit color and little damage to hair. I have found good color combos to use with ion. I wanted a pretty meduim auburn shade. I used 9ng with 4rc, light natural golden blonde and medium copper brown. Beautiful auburn shade. I added the blond with it so it didn't come out too dark. perfect. The shades do run a bit dark. I mix ratio 2:1 with volume 10 developer. Buy a shade or 2 lighter then what you want, but it is shiny and long lasting. I find I use the 9ng a lot as mixing shade so ash tonesare not too ashy and same with neutrals. The neutrals are nice on own though. The 9ng is not very light a name suggests. More a medium to dark golden blond FYI. More yellow gold rather than red though. That is why i mix, to not get too much red if I want a darker golden brown. Buy neutral brown and add golden blond.

This is great color!
I have 20% grey, am a natural level 5 and ash. I had been highlighting my hair to a level 7 base with highlights a level 9. Decided to go dark again, but not to my natural dark ash level.I wanted to tone and cover my grey, add shine and bring my color down to a level 6 with a little warmth. Chose level 8 Natural.This color does go on dark and has warmth. Choose 2 shades lighter than what you desire. I mixed 2 oz color to 4 oz developer per directions, though you could mix 2 oz color to 2 oz developer for better grey coverage.
Added 5 drops of unred by Ardell. I pull red and wanted to counter the red a bit. 1st time I used it. It did turn the color dark, as others have said, so i used just a bit. Not sure if I saw an effect, so next time will use more but not the whole packet.
This color is great for great shine and depositing translucent color. It toned my grey, and covered it but not totally, but significantly. Left some of the grey colored and some translucent with color. Thats ok because I did not want flat opaque hair color. I may try mixing in the 2 oz color to 2 oz developer next time to get better grey coverage per the directions.
I left it on my roots for 30 mins and pulled it through the rest for 12 mins. My hair is porous from the highlighting. The color grabbed well through the mid length, though less so at the roots. Glad I did not leave it on longer on length or my roots would have been lighter than length.
The smell is the most appealing I have smelled in various lines.
Btw, before this the other demi's I tried were Clairol demi soy 4 plex: no shine at all, little grey coverage, threw it out. Tried Clairol Radiance-great shine, no grey coverage.
This color does a lot and all with 10 volume developer, which I prefer over more damaging 20 volume.
I will definitely stay with the Ion Demi, try the 1:1 ratio next time, add a little more UnRed.
Hope this helps you in your decision making :)

Popular Hair Color Products