Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 1/22/2019 3:50:00 PM

I always use this after i have highlighted my hair since i’m usually stuck with brassy areas near my roots, not always but no matter how long the bleach is on i get this and i use 40 volume developer but i have medium to dark brown hair naturally. And i do not want to attempt redoing the highlights so i get medium natural brown in ion demi and do a reverse bayalage technique to apply it. Never fails my hair always looks great and it really softens it and gives it life. Just be aware it develops a lot darker but will than fade over time so go for a shade 1-2 shades lighter than what you want if you don’t want your hair being to dark at first. Also it’s great for bleach damaged hair i have had severe bleach damage and weaved this in throughout my head and it instantly makes my hair look and feel healthy and has stopped the dry brittleness it had before. I will never use permanent colour again as it’s damaging and faded to a brassy colour due to the lifting demi will not lighten your hair so you should not have that brassy fade. And it fades over a month so safe for people with natural hair colours to try to go darker as it will fade out and not leave roots.

on 12/2/2017 1:13:00 PM

After a long year of dyeing my hair every color under the sun, I wanted to go back to my natural level 8 ash blonde. I tried achieving that at home with color remover and bleach, and ended up with orange Leeloo hair from Fifth Element.

The salon I chose was able to color correct it to my natural, however the color they used washed out with four washes and I had brassy orange blonde hair. I had my hair toned twice by the salon and decided I could not afford to come back every two weeks to have my hair corrected when it would just wash out (they used permanent toner and color on my hair).

I bought this at Sally’s because it was five dollars and I thought, why the heck not? I’d rather do this at home every two weeks myself than pay hundreds to have a professional do the same thing.

I bought 7 NA blonde, mixed it with 4 oz Ion sensitive 10 developer, and left it on my hair for 5 minutes. I didn’t paint every piece, I slapped it on my head like conditioner, worked it through, and brushed it down. After five minutes, I jumped in the shower, rinsed it out, shampooed, and conditioned.

Wa-lah! My hair is a beautiful medium-dark ash blonde. Almost exactly the same color that I was paying for in the salon, for 95% cost savings. And, this color lasted 3 weeks before I had to do it again (the second time I left it on for 3 minutes to get the same result). I’m so pleased. This color was exactly what I wanted and my hair doesn’t feel any more damaged than it was before I started.

Word of advice: If your hair is porous like mine and you are looking to tone down brassiness, I think you will deeply regret leaving this on your head for longer than five minutes. The hair in my brush that had this color on it for twenty minutes was medium brown.

I

I used this for the first time just now and I’m shocked. I was certain that I would be making an appt tomorrow with my stylist to fix a f*ck up. I used the demi-permanent 4N shade, which was close to the same color in another brand my hair stylist had used on me. I had about an inch of roots, and my natural hair color is about a level 7. My goal was to darken my roots and refresh my overall color. I mixed the color with the ion 10 volume developer (2 oz color to 4oz developer). I sectioned my hair and used a brush and bowl to put the dye on a section at a time, then I rubbed it all in like you would shampoo. I left it in for 30 mins after doing a strand test on a small section underneath my hair. I could tell before I even washed it out after 30 mins that everything was going to turn out ok. I rinsed it and washed it, and then I used L’Oréal damage erasing balm to condition. After blow drying and using my usual leave-ins, it looked pretty darn ok. My roots were blended with the rest of the hair and it is all pretty even. It’s not super shiny and soft, but it doesn’t feel more damaged either. I’m pretty happy with it. I think next time I will use permanent on the roots though. I would buy this again for sure.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I wanted dark brown hair and choose the medium golden brown and used the sensitive scalp volume 10 developer. My hair feels soft, the color is just the right dark brown I wanted, and the color has depth and vibrancy.

I purchased this in the shade 9na. Since i heard demis run dark, i was expecting a level 7 or 8. I applied this all over my blonde roots to create an subtle ombre effect. After 10 or 15 min, i noticed the color turning into a sandy brown so i rinsed it out. My results were a toned ashy blonde. It was no darker than before. This is a nice shade to tone brassy blondes. Ill use this to tone next time i bleach!

on 12/6/2015 11:56:00 PM

Important note: As other reviews state, this runs dark. Just how dark may vary depending on your hair's health and porosity. If you are buying for the first time, choose a shade 2 levels lighter than the color you want to achieve, strand test, and then adjust if necessary.

This is the only at home hair color I've used, so I don't have much basis for comparison. But it covers my grays, lasts for about a month (standard for a demi), doesn't irritate my scalp, and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

My natural hair color is shoulder length level 5 ash brown with 20% gray. I've experimented with a variety of different formulas that I liked, but am currently using 1oz 5N +1/2oz 6WR + 1/4 oz 4RV + 3.5 oz developer. It produces a really pretty, natural looking level 4 warm brown with red and faint gold undertones.

on 10/24/2015 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I am very impressed with Ion. I have been coloring my hair for the last 3 years. All sorts of colors,however, this time I wanted to try something more natural. So i had Rose colored hair (Ion Color Brilliance Brights), I wanted to cover it with a blonde color. Looking for something that isnt permanent ,I decided upon Demi permanent. I bought the shade "Lightest Golden Blonde ". I was very impressed. It came out beautiful . My hair even felt healthier. I used it with 10vl developer. It was a beautiful golden blonde,not brassy,but natural looking blonde. I give it 5 lipsticks.
TIP:Since its no lift,the color will come out darker than the swatch so get within a few shades of what u currently have (Dont get a blonde dye if you have black hair),get lighter than you want because it comes out darker. You can also dilute it with the Clear shafe to make the color more true to the swatch. I am going to try the shade "Lightest Natural Blonde". I'll be back to review that shade.

I am an avid at home, DYI hair person. I had recently dyed my hair a medium blonde, and toned it with Wella T-27. I decided to get away from permanent dyes, and try Demi instead. I am glad I did this, and read reviews because I achieved a beautiful level 8 medium natural/golden blonde by choosing a level 10 Demi. Make sure you choose a shade that's 2 levels lighter than what you are trying to achieve. Blonde is difficult, but try to make it close to your natural level, and you should be good to go.

on 8/20/2014 4:20:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Really like this product for toning freshly bleached roots. Easy to work with and smells lovely.

My natural hair is a level 6, very thick and very healthy. I have been a full blonde for over 20 years and a Dye It Yourself blonde for the last 10 years. I have only used professional products and never a drugstore box product. All the products I use can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply, very cheaply.

Here is my process.
Root length anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" (depending on how long I have waited between touch-ups)

BLEACH
1.Mix bleach (I use Quick Blue for "On & Off Scalp Application" Powder Bleach) to the consistency of a fluffy whipped cream or thickish cake batter with a 30 Volume Developer (any brand will do - I have used most of them) in a plastic coloring bowl. This does not need to be an exact science, just get it to a consistency you feel comfortable working with.
Thicker consistency the faster the lifting.
Thinner consistency the slower the lifting.
Too thick, then it will dry too fast on the hair and once it dries, it's not working.

2. Section DRY, unwashed hair into 4 quadrants. I find the natural oils in unwashed hair help protect your scalp a bit during the process.
Start applying bleach to back sections first. My hair in the back is more resistant to lifting than in the front. As a note, I have someone help me with the back since I find it impossible to reach around and section thin, even pieces. Continue sectioning and applying to roots until your entire head is covered. This takes about 25 minutes to do.
3. Let it develop for approximately 40 to 60 minutes. I will put a shower cap on during this time to trap some of the heat from my scalp to aid in the lifting process. This is not necessary just something I do. I start timing once all of my hair is covered in product. Check often to see if the hair is lifting to a pale yellow. Not gold but yellow (like the inside of a banana). If you find after say 75 minutes you are still very gold then you may have to do the above process again (Double Lift). I have never had to do this but it is possible. Note: this could be very damaging to thin or unhealthy hair.
4. Rinse out. Do NOT use shampoo. Hair will feel dry, coarse and slightly gummy.
My freshly bleached roots will be pale yellow with slight gold tones in the shaft. I guess the contrast of my fresh roots against my previously colored hair shows any gold that may be present.

PROTEIN FILLER (To help the toner to deposit more evenly on your treated hair)
5. Towel dry briefly and SPRAY on "Colorful Neutral Protein Filler". Use a large tooth comb (gently) to distribute product through hair. Let sit for 20 minutes. Read the reviews on Sally's Beauty Supply to understand this product better.
6. After 20 minutes hair should only be slightly damp. If necessary, use a towel to remove most of the moisture to speed up the process. Hair is now ready to be toned. Slightly damp to fully dry hair can be toned.

TONE (To remove any brassiness, even out the color and deposit a color tone you desire)
7. Mix 1 part toner (i.e. I use ION Color Brilliance Demi-Permanent Color in 10N-10.0) with 2 part ION Sensitive Scalp 10 Volume Developer into a squirt bottle with a long pointed, angled neck (i.e. 2 oz. Toner + 4 oz. 10 Vol Developer).
8. Apply to all roots first. Working it with your fingers along the roots.
9. After roots are covered, then apply to hair shaft and ends. Use a large tooth comb to distribute product from root to shaft.
Total Time maximum 15 minutes. Start timing from the moment you START applying the toner.

10. Shower - wash, condition and deep condition.
I use the following after lifting and toning:
Shampoo: ION Color Defense Sulphate Free Shampoo
Conditioner: ION Color Defense After-Color Sealer
Deep Conditioner: Any super moisturizing deep conditioner. I leave this on for 20 minutes while in a shower cap. Then rinse, and let my hair dry naturally overnight.

Next day... shiny, healthy hair. :) I do not like ash or gold tones in my hair. I prefer a pale ever so slight sand blonde.

As a note: You can use the ION Color Brilliance Demi-Permanent "Clear 00-0.0" formulation on your hair a week or two later to add more shine and silkiness.

Hope that helps some new DIY Blondes.

I was absolutely terrified to use a hair color that didn't include a box or a professional. I researched and researched and watched YouTube videos and read tons of reviews before deciding to take the plunge and try Ion's Demi Permanent Hair Color.

My hair is aging, thin, fragile, dull, dry and lifeless. Pretty much the worst hair imaginable (at least to me). I stopped getting my hair professionally colored about 2 years ago when I could no longer stomach spending $150 every six to eight weeks. So I did some research and decided to start using Revlon's Colorsilk. The first several times I used it, my hair looked and felt great, but over time it seemed to be drier and more damaged even though I hardly had any noticeable split ends. It just looked extremely unhealthy. I read that even though Colorsilk has no ammonia, over time it does damage your hair. My hair could not take any more abuse, so I decided to try a demi permanent color.

I washed my hair with Ion's color-safe clarifying shampoo to get rid of product buildup, but did not use a conditioner. Instead I let my hair air dry, then I saturated it with the Ion Pre-Color Treatment spray. I pulled out a small section of hair at the nape of my neck (about a 1/4 inch thick section) and did a color test. It looked good, so I went for it!

My natural color is a level 4-5, but my current hair was more like a level 6 and was lifeless and brassy. I wanted my color to be richer and deeper. My hair normally pulls orange and then gets brassy as the color fades, so I chose to mix 1 oz. of 7N (Medium Blonde) and 1 oz. of 7WR (Medium Warm Red Blonde) with 2 oz. of #10 Ion developer. I left it on for 35 minutes, but watched carefully as it developed. I followed up with half a packet Ion Color Defense After Color Sealer. I should have left the color on longer because I still have a few grays around my face. Maybe I'll do that section first next time and leave it on 10 minutes longer.

Anyway, I chose colors that were two levels lighter and got exactly what I wanted. It did turn out pretty dark, but it's a lovely chocolate brown with subtle red (not orange) highlights. I would say it took me to a level 4 -- maybe because my hair was dry & porous to start (?). My friends at work said my hair looks super healthy and shiny now!

I am hooked!!

A word of caution: Be careful with the color! I put too much on the brush and a blob fell on the front of my bathroom cabinet and now there is a huge *permanent* stain there.