Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 8/29/2009 3:16:00 PM

I used to use the Ion permanent color which gave fabulous rich shiny results... only I was getting a bit dark over time, so thought I'd go with a demi as I do not need grey coverage. I used 4N in a 1:2 ratio of color to 10 volume developer. Result: shiny medium to dark brown hair. Word of warning though, if you're scared of too dark pick 1 to 2 shades lighter and put vaseline around your hairline!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

As of this morning, I've used Ion Demi for my root touch-up and once for all-over color freshening/glazing. LOVE!!

This is the first demi that has completely covered my greys/whites, which I have about 20% - 25%.

I especially love the versatility of this product. Depending on what your objective is, determines what ratio of color to developer you use. For my roots, to cover the greys, I use 1 part color to 1 part developer (1:1 ratio). For glazing I use 1 part color to 2 parts developer (2:2 ratio).

This color is applied to dry hair (I think most demis are applied to damp hair, at least the ones I've tried). I leave it on my roots 35-40 minutes. Glazing time is much less.

Ion Demi has a nice range of shades, including a clear. It does need to be mixed with the 10 volume developer. For glazing I mix the clear with a small amount of a color.

Since this line is a demi, I would suggest using 1-2 shades lighter so you don't have too dark of a color deposit.

My favorite color line yet!

Updated 1/6/10:

I'm still using and loving this color line! I fine-tuned my color formula (Dark Natural Blonde + Light Natural Brown (in a 60/40 ratio) and add a small dollop on Med. Copper Brown. This is what I use for my root touch-ups and the result is a med/dk warm brown. I use the Natural colors as my base since I have about 25% greys/whites to cover. I mix the colors together first, then add the equal amount of 10 volume developer so it's a 1:1 ratio. This ratio ensures the complete grey coverage.

For all over glazing/glossing, I mix clear with a small amounts of Med. Copper Brown and Dark Copper Blonde with the 10 volume developer in a 1:2 ratio and the result is a super shiney Copper Brown/Cinnamon Brown.

When I do my highlights (about 3 times a year) I bleach the selected strands to an orangey level, then tone with the Medium Copper Brown. The streaks are a subtle tortiseshell look which I really like on my dark hair.

on 10/17/2009 3:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

LOVE IT!! Even though I didn't realize that I should have chose a shade a few shades lighter than what I did since it was demi, deposit only...I love the rich deep shade of 5N (Lt.Natural Brown) it left my hair soft, and very shiny. The color was a great compliment to my coloring and made my hazel green eyes "pop." I noticed subtle coppery colored highlights in the sun that are probably reminencent of my previous blonde highlights. I have received compliments from many of my friends and co workers about this haircolor. The only thing I substracted one lippy was that even though I bought the creme and not liquid, this dye was very thin and "runny." It splattered all over my sink and dripped everwhere. On the plus side is that it didn't stink the way Wella's Cashmere hair color did....It will be interesting to see if any of this color fades or runs...the wella color was at least two shades lighter (permanent) after a few hair washings with sulfur free & formulated for hair color treated treated shampoo- Hmm? Overall, I was very pleased with this ION product and will use it again.

on 10/20/2009 10:13:00 PM

I will share the good and the bad of this product. Though overall, I would buy this product again, but definitely in a different shade. Here's what happened:

I colored my hair about a month or so ago and my hairdresser didn't exactly go as dark as I wanted. In fact my roots were a bit red and I could see a little bit of regrowth peeking through that was darker than the color he used. So I decided to deepen the color on my own. I went to sally's and the lady suggested this brand, but I wanted the demi just in case. I saw the medium brown (which my hair is anyways, but looked dark on the tester). The lady told me that it would come out way too dark so suggested I go with the 5n which is the light brown. She also said I would need 2 since my hair was long. So with along with those, I purchased the ION sensitive scalp developer 10 volume. So after their suggestion and reading the directions, I decide on the 1:1 ratio. I leave it on for the max time for deepening color (25 min) with no heat. I'm not so sure I needed to buy 2 because my hair was sopping with product and I had some left over. Oh well... better more than not enough I guess. Anyways - I Wash/condition - then dry my hair. Wow - is it DARK!! No kidding. I couldn't believe it. Next day I go to my best friends house who colors her hair with some L'Oreal brand Dark Ash Brown and put our hair together and it was the exact same color!! Her hair is as dark brown as brown gets! Think Nicole Scherzinger from pussycat dolls.
Great.
Though, with mine you could tell it was just colored - but that is really typical when you do your color at home so that didn't bother me too much. My friend also said she could see some red peeking through, but that may have been from the color my colorist gave me because I think there was some red in it previous. So the 5N didn't cancel any red out, but not sure if it added any.
Anyways, I decide to do some Vitamin C tonic then wash with dish soap (I know - but it didn't damage my hair). The color looks a little bit better.... definitely not as harsh. It's still a little too dark for me, so I'm going to do the Vit.C again. In fact, it's sitting in my hair right now, so we will see how much of this color I can get out to get it how I would really like to see it.

So why would I buy it again? Well, it gave me a really intense shine! Plus my hair felt soft and not too damaged. I just ended up choosing a shade that was way too dark for me. So I will probably try a lighter shade and use a 1:2 ratio instead. If and when I choose to do that, I will definitely give another update. Until then... I'm a little anxious for this to fade a bit more.

on 11/2/2009 7:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm dissapointed with the results. As far as the actual coloring experience, I would rate it 5 stars. The odor was pleasant, there was no burining, and the color left my hair super soft. Now the color results are a different story. My hair started a medium-dark blonde. I picked dark neutral blonde, 6NB for the color. It turned out DARK brown. I couldn't believe it when it dried. It isn't even close to dark blonde or even light brown for that matter. We're talking 3 shades darker! I've used lots of different at home hair colors, and none have been so different from the package and sample at the store. I might use this color again and pick a much lighter color. They really should consider changing their descriptions. I've only washed it once so far, so it will be interesting to see how the color wears over time.
Update: After the initial shock of the color result, I got so many compliments on the color and shine, that I really grew to like this product. Now that I'm aware of how much it differs from the description and swatch, I think I'll be much better prepared next time. It did last well considering this was demi.

on 11/20/2009 9:41:00 AM

I purchased #6RC Dark Copper Blonde to fix a bad coloring job (Done by a professional colorist. Go figure.) so it is fair to say this was a purchase out of desperation. That being said, I absolutely loved the color I ended up with even though it was darker than I anticipated, hence the 4 lippies. Even though the darker color worked out for me, it may not work for you. You can always reduce the processing time to ensure a lighter deposit.

Thing is with demi & semi perm colors, you know it is going to fade quickly so going a little darker than you intended may not be a bad thing.

I cannot give you any feedback on the staying power just yet, but I will be sure to include that in my review later on. As for now, my hair looks healthy, super shiny and it feels great. I have been using Oscar Blandi dry shampoo instead of washing my hair and my hair is not dull at all.

Mixing and applying the color was easy. It isn't any different than applying any other color. (Lightening is a different story!) I went with a 1:1 ratio using 2oz color (whole tube really. It is 2.05 oz) and 2 oz of 10 volume developer. I put both in a bottle and shook it up for about a minute to mix it well. I made sure to coat every last bit of my hair from the scalp to the ends. I know a lot of people like to comb color through their hair or paint it on with a brush, but that is too tedious for me. I just squeeze the stuff in my hair, pile my hair up on my head and work the color through almost like I am shampooing. I make sure to use the entire bottle, even if it does seem like too much. I have shoulder length hair.

After sitting around my house for 30 minutes, I rinsed (NO SHAMPOO) the color with lukewarm water until it ran clear. I dried it with a towel and then applied the Ion After Color Treatment to my hair. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinsed that out.

All in all, this cost me $12. Not too shabby.

UPDATE!
I am still using Ion and I still love it. I switched to 7A b/c I am trying to grow out my natural color and I love this shade just as much as I loved the red. The color does fade, but it fades slowly and evenly. I retouch about every six weeks. I cannot imagine paying someone to color my hair anymore.

on 12/3/2009 9:50:00 PM

I have now used the Ion Demi twice to cover early gray (under 10%). As noted by others, it does go on at least two shades darker than the name, so choose a lighter shade than the color you want. My natural color is medium brown, which has become more of a dark brown over the past couple of years while I used Clairol Radiance (I still like it, but prefer the Ion).

The first time with Ion Demi I used medium ash blonde to avoid darkening my hair further, and chose ash because my hair tends to pull red, and then become brassy. The med ash blonde did not darken my hair, but also did not cover the grays well - they were shinier and more silvery. The second time I used the Ion Demi only on the length with the gray and used dark neutral blonde. Much better coverage of gray and still no darkening. It has been two weeks since I used the dark neutral blonde, and there's been no fading or red tones coming through.

Ion Demi is inexpensive, without a noxious odor, and causes little or no damage to my hair. Leaves a great shine. It lasts for a month or so as demis do.

If you are using this to cover gray, a neutral (or gold if you use gold tones) color works better than an ash (Ion does recommend this on its website). Just be careful to choose a lighter color than desired because it does go on a couple of shades darker than expected.

I was hesitant to like this product b/c it comes from Sally's. I prefer having my hair colored at a salon, although I'm usually not that impressed for the amount of $ I spend. I'm big on shine, and redken shades eq always delivered beautiful color and spectacular shine. But, it's expensive. I've also used many permanent dyes: wella, goldwell, redken fusion, l'oreal, aveda, garnier, etc. The list goes on n on.

Anyway, I've finally found something I LOVE. My hair is naturally a level 7NA (dark ashy blonde/very light brown), and I dye it very dark mahogany brown (think dark chocolate cherry-ish). My hair processed color veeeeeeery slowly and I never feel, when I go to the salon, that my roots are dark enough.

Well, I have found something that is gentle on my hair, ammonia-free, lasts beautifully, fades very little but evenly, deepens perfectly, SHINES LIKE CRAZY, makes my hair feel like utter silk, and smells amazing.

on 2/15/2010 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I almost like this better than the Wella Demi line. This brand does not have a harsh smell and it does not burn. I like their Ash Blondes. The color doesn't turn gray/purple like most ash blondes do and it works without turning out the end result being to ashy or dark.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Wow! This demi is amazing. I wanted to refresh my hair color, which was originally dyed brown over heavy blonde highlights. It was turning into a faded light brown, and I wanted a deeper, richer color.

I know from experience that Ion colors are absolutely beautiful, but that they run a bit dark. I therefore bought the light golden brown and the clear shine. I used 2 parts developer to 1 part color and 1 part clear shine.

It came out as a beautiful dark brown. It is so rich and wonderful, but I am definitely glad that I mixed it with the clear shine. Otherwise, it would have been even darker. I think it is still a bit too dark, but I'm sure it will lighten to perfection after a wash or two.

The smell isn't bad at all, and my hair feels amazing! I'll definitely buy this again and again. Ion really makes high-quality hair color.