82%
package quality

price range

Reviews

8 years ago

My hair has been all over bleached blonde for a couple of years and I'm tired of the washed out look. I decided to add some lowlights in with this product. I used a cap, pulled through some pieces and put on the Light Nuetral Blonde shade. I went with the nuetral because my hair already has lots of ash tones and really thought any more ash tone could turn it green! It came out pretty good for my first time trying lowlights! And talk about cheap.... I only used half the packages so I still have enough to use for another time. This is a good product. I have paid big $$ in the past for lowlights and for about $4 this is just fine. It will only get better as I practice with it.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

8 years ago

I bought Dark Natural Blonde Demi to do my daughters hair..........it is fabulous!! She loves it and so do I! The shine, the ease...........amazingly simple! For those of you that are chewing about their hair being too dark, it wasn't suppose to be that dark....think a little here......it will always be darker when you first do it. After 2-3 washes it will lighten up. If you have a very light hair colour and you want to be "brown", you don't choose "brown"...you choose a dark blonde...... For myself and my daughter...kudo's!!! By the way....I come from a hairdressing family. Mom, Dad, Aunts, Uncles, cousins....all in the business.......this is right up there with the $80-200 dollar salon colours!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

1.0

8 years ago

Tried the Ion Demi-Permanent Hair Color - Light Golden Brown. My hair is BLACK. I am so upset! Purchased at national beauty supply company and consulted with store owner. Never said this runs dark. We spent a long time looking at and discussing my hair. I was just looking for a product that was reliable at covering gray. This said it would leave levels. No, I am solid black. I have shampooed with everything I can find in the house to try to remove some of the color. I have colored myself for years and never run into this problem. I know I am going to have to go to a professional and spend a lot of money to fix this. Any ideas out there for quicker removal or lightening without turning orange or green? Thanks!

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrown

EyesOther

9 years ago

This is a good dye but it does run extremely dark. So dark that I felt compelled to write a review, which I haven't done in ages. I've used this hair color many times with good results. I've always tried to deepen the color of my hair, so the fact that it ran very dark didn't bother me. I still chose 2 shades lighter than my desired shade and I was always happy. This time I decided I didn't want to deepen the color, but just take the red out of it. My hair is a dark reddish brown right now. The last time I dyed it (which was with this dye) was probably 4 months ago. I knew I wasn't going to lighten it but I just wanted it the same color (or slightly darker) and to cover up the red. I have very thick, longish hair. I used a tube of light neutral brown and a tube of clear. I also used a ratio of 1:2 for dye to developer so the color wasn't so concentrated. I figured the clear would add shine and cut the color as well. I left the mixture on for 20 minutes and washed and dried. It's nearly black! I'm not super upset because the color doesn't look bad on me and it is very shiny and pretty. But I just can't give a 5 star review to something that runs 3-4 shades dark. Use this dye with caution! It is a good product but it runs very, very dark.

About reviewer (173 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

3.0

9 years ago

Mixed ION demi 7A with Wella 6N. I've used Wella is in the past so I have to assume that the ION stained my scalp. It was odd and unnatural. 1:1 ratio which I use with demis still produced a darker shade. I only do roots so that's good in this case. I want to stay with demi shades that will produce a light brown and then add highlights whenever not very often. You need a Neutral shade to cover gray. I throw up my hands again. UPDATE: Mixed 7N with Wella Demi 8A using 10% developer 1:1 ratio. Roots lightened a bit and the grey coverage was uneven. Noticed that on the day of coloring.

About reviewer (185 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

9 years ago

This is my first time using this product and I am very pleased with the results. My hair was bleached, light brassy brown. I used 7NA, medium ash blonde hoping for a medium brown. I know this brand runs several shades dark. I used a 1:1 ratio with the Ion 10 volume developer and left it on my hair for 25 minutes. The result was exactly what I wanted. A rich, chocolate, medium brown. My hair is so shiny and soft! I will definitely use this product again.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Other, Other

EyesGreen

2.0

9 years ago

Performs no better/worse than other demis. My issue was with the color itself; I used 6RC ("dark copper blond"/6.4 which should have been screaming orange-based copper) to refresh the middle/ends my level 6 reddish brown hair. I knew it would be a level or two darker right away...that's fine, I'm happy to wait a couple weeks. However, like many have complained about this color elsewhere, it has a notable pink/violet base to it, which must be the red in it, a particularly cool toned red, which is completely at odds with what the swatch looks like and what I've experienced with other brands. I do not like fakey burgundy/cool toned dark reds so this wasn't for me. True to form, it did wash out after 2.5 months or so, so nothing lost.

About reviewer (339 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesBrown

9 years ago

amazing hair color and soooo cheap! i got it at sallys for $3.99 for each color solution and the developer was very affordable as well. much cheaper than buying 2 boxes of natural instincts every month to work on my super long hair. overall, totally would recommend to a friend :) bought it in the blue-black color and my hair is loving it.. soft and shiny!

About reviewer (72 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesBrown

from

9 years ago

This is the business. I was using Colorsilk in soft brown and I was happy with it, but I wanted to switch to a non perm color so that I didn't have to worry about demarcation lines with my blond roots. I had read good reviews and went with 3N. This color is beautiful. It is multidimensional, not at all flat. My hair is the closest to shiny it has been since I was a kid. Once you invest in the tools and developer it is extremely inexpensive, much less than most drugstore kits (which I had to use 2 of). I will use this over and over.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

9 years ago

I typically use Redken Shades EQ to color my hair. I have been using a 9GB and 7GB to make an 8GB. Redken doesn't make an 8GB in the Shades line. My friend is a stylist and usually colors my hair for me. I am trying to grow my hair out to it's natural color and I have about 3 inches of roots, which are a light brown and the rest of my hair is highlighted. The 8GB in Redken was enough to blend my roots with my ends and give me an overall slightly warm light brown color with dimension from the old highlights. I bought the Ion color today to attempt coloring myself. I've had good and bad experiences with at home color. I used the booklet they had at my local Sally's to find the equivalent of the Redken 8GB. They do not carry a GB, or gold beige, in the Ion line, but they did have a NB, neutral beige. I was scared to try the warm because I wanted more neutral tones and was afraid the natural/ash would be too ashy. So, I purchased a 9NB and a 7NB in the Ion line. After reading several MUA's reviews about this brand going up to 3 shades darker, I decided to use 2 parts 9NB and 1 part 7NB in a 1:2 ratio with the developer. I ended up using 2 oz of 9NB, 1 oz 7NB and 6 oz of developer, which was WAY too much color for my shoulder length hair!! Oops! I will cut that in half next time. My hair actually turned out really beautiful! The roots are blended with the old blonde highlights and I actually like the overall color better than Redken Shades. My hair always looks dull after coloring with Shades and a little over-saturated and takes a few days to look normal. With the Ion, my hair is super shiny and soft and beautiful! I will definitely use this again once the color fades! It's so much cheaper and I can do it whenever my schedule allows! I mixed this in a bowl and applied with a brush. I find that using a brush gives the most even coverage.

About reviewer (57 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Neutral