Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

3.5

Price: $

Price: $

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 12/12/2010 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is really the best hair dye out there - permanent or demi. I have tried every dye out there including natural, organic, henna based, chemical, etc. I used this on a friends hair a couple of months ago in 8N light natural blonde mixed with a little of the lightest golden brown. She has medium to dark brown hair. The shine was incredible and it covered the few grays that she had and made them look like highlights.
I decided to use it on my hair b/c my highlights were fading and looking brassy and my new growth was coming in way more gray than i would have liked. I have dark blonde/light brown hair naturally and am about 25 percent gray. The gray is also kind of clustered in certain areas. Since my hair turns red/brassy no matter what, I was nervous to use anything but an ash color. But I needed to cover the grays, so I had to mix some natural in with the ash to try and get some coverage (the ash colors really won't cover the gray, they just tone the hair). I mixed 3/4 lightest Ash blonde 10A with 1/4 light natural blonde 8N. I left it on my roots for about 20 minutes and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they would not grab too much color. I also used the ion pre color spray treatment (really good stuff). I am blown away with the condition of my hair. It feels healthier than before (my hair is still quite damaged from too many highlights overlapping) and the color is just right. I probably could have left it on my roots a little longer for more gray coverage or maybe added some more of the 8N natural blonde, but everything just blends great. The ash toned my highlights slightly which is what I wanted. They are not too ashy or too warm, just look like natural highlights. Maybe next time I can try the 10N lightest natural blonde mixed with the 10A and leave it on longer. Overall, I am sticking to this brand of color for a long time, if not forever. I was really trying to use the all natural hair dyes, but they just are not working out for me. So, this no ammonia (but still chemical based one) is what I will be using. My hair does not look or feel like it was just dyed. It feels like my natural hair, only better!
UPDATE: I haven't used this in a while. I have been only highlighting my hair lately and it satrted to get just one color all over blonde and I started to look washed out. Add the multiplying gray hairs and it was not a good look. Took this out again this morning and mixed 3/4 8N Light natural blonde with 1/4 9A very light ash blonde. I wanted to tone the highlights, but also need to cover the grays. 1:1.5 ratio to the 10 vol. developer. WOW! My hair is in better shape than before i dyed it. I also used the ion pre color treatment and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they wouldnt grab too much color. The grays have been blended (although I think I should have left it on a little longer on the roots to get better coverage). I left it on 20 mins on the roots and then mixed with some water and pulled through to the ends. It is just so shiny and healthy looking. The blended grays at my roots look like highlights which is great. It didnt go too dark which I was afraid of and is why i rinsed off a little early. My roots just look like my natural haircolor growing in and my hair just gradually gets lighter towards the bottom. I may just use the natural and no ash on my roots next time and then mix some ash in just for a quick bush through at the ends to tone them. Whoohoo!
UPDATE AGAIN: I have been going a little more golden (eeks!) so I have been playing with other colors. Recently I used 10ng mixed with 8n. My grays are expanding and I need something that will cover them. This really made my hair shiny and golden without looking brassy or cheap. Just nice golden. Covered a lot of grays but not all. I left it on 40 minutes and used a 1:1 ratio to developer. This stuff also DOES lighten roots somewhat. No matter what, there is peroxide in the developer so left on long enough it does "break the base" of my roots. This way they r not so dark in comparison to the rest of my hair. This only happens though when I leave on longer than 30 mins or so and use a little heat. I put on a cap and use low heat on and off, focusing on my roots where the most grays are. I uploaded a pic on the main product page. I am the blonde. There are a few stray grays that look more pronounced in the pic than they do in real life. I have to also add that a few times a year I put highlights in my hair and the rest of the time I use the ion Demi to stain my grays to look like highlights. Much less damaging and seems to be working out well.! My natural color has darkened through the years to probably a light brown/dark blonde with golden highlights.
Another edit: just FYI that the NB (neutral blonde) in this line can be a little off in color. I have tried it on myself And others and it just never seems quite right. A little reddish with a strange undertone. Just wanted to share that if anyone is considering that color group from this line. All other colors have been fantastic though!!!
UPDATE::: 2-2015
My hair is light right now bc we went away over February break. The grays and my roots were coming in but I did not want to darken my hair so I tried the lightest color of the ion demi line. 10N lightest natural blonde. I only put it on my roots and left on for almost an hour. I used a cap and heat on and off. I only let it touch the rest of my hair mid shaft and length when I was rinsing it out so it wouldn't darken the rest of my hair at all. I was liking the highlights and didn't want them changed, I just wanted to roots to blend in. My grays are multiplying and I need to keep up on the new growth. This worked out really well! I didn't know if the 10n would cover the grays but it did and it lightened my darker roots enough to blend them. It also did not darken the rest of my hair. Yay!

on 11/13/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried this b/c I wanted to quit damaging my hair with permanent color. I chose a shade 2x lighter than normal, followed the directions and while my roots came out the desired color, the rest of my hair was almost black. Clearly this is not what I was going for. I thought it would fade within a few days. Some of it did fade judging by the stains left on my white bath towels each day. After four days, my roots were back to their usual medium brown color (w/greys) but the rest was still nearly black. I ended up using Ion's Color Corrector to remove most of the black. That left my hair a nice brassy orange which I then colored with Wella's Color Charm Cashmere 6NW (Dark Natural Warm Blonde). The end result is medium warm brown hair. Whew. Will not touch a demi- permanent again.