Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Filtered by age: 30-35
Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

4.5

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 12/6/2015 11:56:00 PM

Important note: As other reviews state, this runs dark. Just how dark may vary depending on your hair's health and porosity. If you are buying for the first time, choose a shade 2 levels lighter than the color you want to achieve, strand test, and then adjust if necessary.

This is the only at home hair color I've used, so I don't have much basis for comparison. But it covers my grays, lasts for about a month (standard for a demi), doesn't irritate my scalp, and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

My natural hair color is shoulder length level 5 ash brown with 20% gray. I've experimented with a variety of different formulas that I liked, but am currently using 1oz 5N +1/2oz 6WR + 1/4 oz 4RV + 3.5 oz developer. It produces a really pretty, natural looking level 4 warm brown with red and faint gold undertones.

I just colored my dry, damaged hair yesterday with the Ion demi-permanent black (1NA) hair color and it came out wonderfully! My hair doesn't feel or look dry OR damaged! However, I did use the Ion pre-color treatment as well as the after-color treatment since my previous hair color was very uneven from my last coloring that I did a few weeks ago using a box color from Wal-mart. I just hope that this color lasts its 24 shampoos like it is supposed to. I use the Pureology line for shampoo and conditioner so I'm sure that it will stay for awhile. I can't wait to color my hair again with the Ion line!

on 2/26/2014 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought ion demi color to use for year while I was dying my hair darker. I always use demi when going darker to only deposit color and little damage to hair. I have found good color combos to use with ion. I wanted a pretty meduim auburn shade. I used 9ng with 4rc, light natural golden blonde and medium copper brown. Beautiful auburn shade. I added the blond with it so it didn't come out too dark. perfect. The shades do run a bit dark. I mix ratio 2:1 with volume 10 developer. Buy a shade or 2 lighter then what you want, but it is shiny and long lasting. I find I use the 9ng a lot as mixing shade so ash tonesare not too ashy and same with neutrals. The neutrals are nice on own though. The 9ng is not very light a name suggests. More a medium to dark golden blond FYI. More yellow gold rather than red though. That is why i mix, to not get too much red if I want a darker golden brown. Buy neutral brown and add golden blond.

on 1/24/2014 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Medium Ash Blonde 7NA. I am reverting from henna to my natural medium/dark brown color. I used some indigo to tone the red but it was still peeking through. I used greenish/teal manic panic to tone but red still peeking through. I found this laying in my drawer from my blonde days and thought what the hay, at least it's 'ASH'. Mixed 1:2 - color:10 vol and applied for 25 min. It has toned down the red considerably and left me with a warm dark brown. Yes... Medium blonde left me with dark brown. And warning: when they say ash they mean it. Shower run-off and skin stains were green. Which is exactly what I needed and ill definitely buy again to refresh til my natural color grows in, but if you're light blonde or something this will probably turn your hair dark and green. My first time using a Demi color instead of permanent with the lower developer and I'm very pleased; my hair is not damaged. Will use again and again til that pesky red is gone!

on 7/3/2013 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

9NA Very Light Ash Blonde. Been using this as a toner on pre-lightened hair for more than a year now. I am very satisfied with the results. It's not too harsh, considering I have to bleach my roots and tone every 6 weeks. My hair has remained strong and the color lasts for the whole 6 weeks. I use a 20 vol. developer, comes out exactly like I want it every time, fades evenly and unnoticeably.

I would suggest, if you're using a blonde shade of demi, to pre-lighten your hair to the level closest to the demi color, then use the color as a toner to darken and give depth. It's a demi, it's not going to be able to lift your hair color. What it will do is change the tone, and give depth to hair that is otherwise flat or washed out.

I'm an at-home double process blonde (hubby does the back of my hair), and I had originally tried the Ion Demi in 10N (lightest natural blonde) to tone. I watched carefully as is necessary when toning pre-lightened hair, and ended up rinsing after 8 minutes. Recommended processing time for toning is 10-15 minutes. The color was a little too dark for my taste. After some research, I decided to try using this again but diluted it with the clear shine. The color came out perfect! Got rid of the leftover yellow from bleaching, gave me a beautiful natural looking shade of blonde I was looking for...not ashy but not too golden and certainly not brassy at all. I will use this as my toner from now on. My hair is also in superb condition. And this time I left the color on my roots for 5 minutes, pulled it through the rest of my hair for another 5 minutes and rinsed. Perfectly even color after also using the Ion pre-treatment spray. I highly recommend this. The only reason I didn't give it the full 5 lipsticks is because the color comes out much darker than their swatches indicate so I feel they need to be mixed with the clear shine to become more true to the swatch. Otherwise an excellent color!

on 11/23/2012 9:36:00 PM

I'm hoping that this review can give you guys an idea of both my experience, and ways to get the results you want from this color.

First, you should know that researching the basics of hair color is vital if you're going to color at home. You need to understand the levels of color, which colors "live" at each level, and how those factors will affect your results. Also, understanding what the different levels of developer do will make a huge difference in your results. For example, orange "lives" at level 7, so if you buy a level 7 color, that's the tone you will get. Also, if you use a level 5 developer, you will only get deposit, no lift. If you want to lift color, you would use a higher volume of developer, according to the level of lift that you want to achieve. I know it sounds complicated, but if you use Google and do 30 minutes of research, I promise it will make all the difference in the world with your color. I see a lot of people getting hung up on the "names" of these colors, and that's where you're going to get into trouble. When you learn to work with levels, you will be able to choose your color and not get so many surprises. Also, research mixing ratios; those will make a HUGE difference when it comes to how opague your color comes out.

That being said, I have noticed that for me, these colors pull about a level or two darker on my hair. That may not happen to you. My suggestion is to start about a level higher than the color you want, and go from there.

This color line is very good quality. The Sensitive Scalp developer (I use 5 vol) is great for me because its much gentler than anything you will get in a "box color." The color itself is rich, creamy, vibrant and ultra-shiny. It has great staying power and it doesn't damage my hair at all. It spreads evenly, doesn't drip, and stays moist while processing. Because its a Demi, it WILL stain the crap out of your skin. But that's really my only complaint with this color.

If you need any help, no matter what line you use, feel free to inbox me :)

It's a little premature to say that I'll NEVER pay for salon color again but if getting the color you desire is this easy, I will definitely hesitate. I'll first start by saying that I read A LOT of reviews here and whatever I could find online about this line before attempting it on my own. I have learned that I'm about a level 3 brunette and my hair pulls red no matter what any colorist has done to me in the past. I originally wanted to do a color that cancelled out any of the red in my hair (ash) but I chickened out and went with the "natural" shades instead hoping to just tone down the warmth. Because I read over and over again how dark this color comes I chose 4N and 5N and mixed them with 2 parts volume 10 developer. I like my hair a bit darker than my natural color. It came out exactly as planned and it's very shiney and soft. Love it. I will definitely be repurchasing.

on 11/13/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I gave this a shot after reading a ton of reviews and shelling out $90 a pop for 2 color treatments in 6 weeks both of which left me with my grays back in full force 2 weeks later. I can't afford to see my stylist every 2-3 weeks without filing for divorce & drug store touch up products gave me crap results. The reviews on here were VERY helpful Especially the specifics by Twiggy. TY! I have dark brown hair both naturally and after professional color and decided to go with the 5N and 6N she used in her photo but shorted the dark blond just a tad and added just a bit of the clear gloss for the 2ozs of color. I also added about 15 drops of the gray magic before mixing in 2ozs of the 10 developer for sensitive scalp and applied it all using the brush/bowl method starting at the roots. I combed everything through with a wide tooth comb after everything was covered to make sure my hair was evenly coated and waited 30 min. There was no bad smell during my wait and my scalp didn't burn or itch. While this did take forever to rinse out in the shower it did not stain my scalp or the areas I hit by mistake with the brush. I bought a sample packet of the Ion deep conditioner that the SA recommended but I wasn't impressed and added some Chi color care conditioner to my final rinse. I was surprised that after my first rinse my hair felt rougher than I expected but it felt and looked great after the conditioning and blow dry. The color came out the same rich deep brown I get in the salon and my grays were completely covered. If this lasts longer than 2 weeks and doesn't wreck my hair I may be able to go back to coloring every 2-3 months again. For all 3 colors, the developer, a color bowl and brush, a single use pack of gray magic and the conditioner I spent just over $20 and I still have color and developer left.
*Update* The day after trying this I washed and conditioned and my hair felt pretty roughed up. I've only had this experience using one other at home permanent hair color and I'm pretty surprised to get this kind of damage from a Demi. I don't want to knock off a lippie yet though because I did add a small amount of Gray Magic that I believe contains ammonia. That could be the problem. Also the Ion conditioner pack that the SA recommended was not specific to post color. Alcohol is the first 2 ingredients on the list and it looks and feels like vaseline. I should have checked before I bought but I was in a rush. My hair feels better after an overnight oil treatment. Since this delivered excellent color I may give this product a shot again but I'll leave out the Gray Magic and make sure I have a good after color conditioner to seal the hair cuticle and maybe give my hair a good pre- treatment before hand.

on 5/10/2011 8:03:00 PM

This is my first time using this product and I am very pleased with the results. My hair was bleached, light brassy brown. I used 7NA, medium ash blonde hoping for a medium brown. I know this brand runs several shades dark. I used a 1:1 ratio with the Ion 10 volume developer and left it on my hair for 25 minutes. The result was exactly what I wanted. A rich, chocolate, medium brown. My hair is so shiny and soft! I will definitely use this product again.

Popular Hair Color Products