Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream
Cetaphil Moisturizing CreamCetaphil Cetaphil Moisturizing CreamMoisturizing CreamMoisturizing Cream

Water, Glycerin, Petrolatum, Dicaprylyl Ether, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, PEG-30 Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethiconol, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide

on 10/22/2018 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is simply put the best body moisturizer on the market that I've found in all my years. And I'm even happier with it now that they got rid of parabens. Though I will say, as they don't seem to have added any other preservatives (and this jar clearly seems to need something, since the product has plenty of exposure to air and potential germs in this packaging) and they don't claim to be paraben-free, part of me wonders if it really is paraben-free / what gives now that they're gone.

In any case, I started using this after it was recommended to me by a dermatologist for dry skin issues, and since then, I've consistently gotten tons of comments on how soft my skin is. In fact, all of my family and ex boyfriends and many of their family members now use this too, as this simply works better than any other and WITHOUT CLOGGING PORES or causing body acne/bumps. It's also fragrance free. I really cannot highly recommend enough for BODY use. For face use, it does seem to break me out, so I sometimes use around the eyes but that's it. The only thing that would make this better is if it were lower on EWG's scale (gets a 3-4 due to ingredients like Benzyl Alcohol), but I'm not going to deduct a lippie for that, as that isn't terrible and there really isn't anything else lower on the scale that I have ever found that I think is better as far as moisturization without body acne.

TIP: As with any moisturizer, ALWAYS use on slightly damp skin to lock in moisture. You miss half the benefit of rich moisturizers like this if you don't do that. I always use right after my shower, after toweling off very lightly.

Note on old vs new formula: Partly because of this product's EWG rating, I've been trying to go more natural and use various oils (jojoba, or sunflower mixed with a bit of squalane) more often and only use this once or twice a week these days (may use more in winter), so for now I can't say I've noticed a significant difference between the old formula and new. I think I noticed a bit of a difference on first impression, but not enough to even remember now - and I'll take the difference if it really does mean no parabens, which would have caused me to give up on this great product altogether. I do think maybe the old formula might have been better in terms of not clogging facial pores, but I can't say for sure. This one does say "Body" only on the front, while the old one said "Face and Body." Once I start using more often in cooler weather, if I feel like it works differently than it used to, I will update my review.

on 12/18/2017 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I use this product on my hands before bedtime, and it really keeps them moisturized overnight. It does soak in well and protects from drying out.

on 11/2/2017 4:55:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I'm acne-prone and VERY oily but I get extremely dry during the winter since it's very cold where I live (Sweden). I've been using this as a nightcream for about three months now and I love it. My dryness is completely gone and it hasn't broken me out AT ALL, which I was worried about since it is a rather thick cream. The fact that it's so thick is also the reason that I only use it during nights, and I think that it would be a bit too greasy for me to use under my makeup (since my skin is so oily). Note that I haven't tried this yet so who knows! So far it seems to hydrate me enough by only being applied night time, maybe I'll use it during the days further into the winter.

This is an amazing product, especially given its price.

on 9/13/2017 7:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

The BEST night cream for my easily-irritated, sensitive, acne-prone skin. This is definitely too rich for me to use during the day, as it disrupts my makeup's longevity and causes my foundation to separate, but at night it's perfect. Leaves my skin super soft upon waking, and seems to help heal my acne and soothe redness. I'm also thankful that this comes in a squeeze tube rather than unhygienic jar packaging, Overall, I love it!

EDIT: This started breaking me out, of course.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This sh!t is bomb. I have oily, acne prone skin that is sensitive to parabens, fragrances, etc. This moisturizing cream is a lovely thick buttery texture and you only need a dime-sized bit to cover your entire face and neck. So this giant TUB will last like 3 years. (I bought the knock off store brand which has the exact same ingredients as the original) For like $7.

It does not irritate my skin or clog my pores. It hasn't caused a break out or any itchiness/irritation. It is very moisturizing and smells nice as well. The *only* thing I don't like about this is the dry/set time it takes on your skin. It feels greasy/sticky for like 2 hours and it's kind of annoying. Especially if you want to lay down and your pillow case/blankets keep sticking to your face lol.

This cream is also good on the body, I use it on my legs and hands in the colder months to prevent dryness.

on 8/14/2017 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

*Edited 29/01/18: When I first tried this out my skin was dehydrated and broken out. It is the first all over "body" cream that I can use on my face (tried Dermaveen and Kenkay). It has no-fragrance, doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, moisturises my face well and doesn't clog my pores. Apart from moisturising though it has no other benefits so I have now returned to snail cream.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I love this product. Keeps my skin moisturized. Especially my heels when they've become dry and cracked up, I just rub a dime size amount on with socks and hello soft supple heels in the morning. Works well over a bad sunburn as well. Too thick & creamy for a daily facial moisturizer tho but for the body thumbs up.

on 4/22/2016 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

my go-to moisturiser! Cetaphil is a great brand and continuously produces great products! I use this after i wash my face and it soaks in leaving my skin soft, does not make me extra oily and a small amount (pea sized) will cover my whole face and nourish my dry nose and lip area. Lasts forever! I use this before a foundation and it hydrates my skin wonderfully ! recommended to anyone who wants a light textured moisturiser.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Edit 21/09/2017:
Dropped rating to 3 lipsticks.

My skin is currently fragile and dehydrated, nose is chapped constantly. Cetaphil hasn't been able to repair my skin. It stings slightly and reddens the skin around my nose/mouth. I've started using another moisturiser that has, to put it romantically, opened my eyes to the stars.

***
Original review
I have acne-prone combination skin. My cheeks and forehead are normal, leaning dry in winter months. My nose is oily all year round but prone to flakiness and peeling.

I bought this moisturiser intending it to moisturise my skin—forming a protective barrier to prevent moisture from evaporating and emollients to hydrate. This does exactly that. I have not had one dry patch on the triangle area between my nose and under eye. My nose isn't peeling either.

This is a plain moisturiser. No fancy antioxidants, no sun protection factor, no deep sea mermaid tear extracts, and no unicorn piss. Just effective moisturising. It contains no fragrance and a healthy dose of broad-spectrum preservatives.

The consistency is thick, like cream whipped to stiff peaks. It sinks into the skin quickly, with no greasiness or shine as long as you use an appropriate amount. I like to spread half a pea sized amount in my palms, and press my palms to my cleansed face.

It makes for an excellent make up base.

All sizes apart from the 100ml are packaged in a jar. The 100ml is in a tube.

I don't worry about contaminating the product because:

1) It has broad-spectrum preservatives such as Methylparaben and Propylparaben. Folks, before you cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war in the internet witch hunt for parabens and mineral oil, do a bit of research and learn to critically evaluate.

If you're undecided, google "parabens safety". Who's our daddy when it comes to quick and dirty answers? You are, Google, you are.

Seriously. Homework today: compare and critically analyse the blog posts titled "Parabens, Skincare, Safety, and Cancer: What does the Science say?" (@ musicalhouse) and "Parabens Explained" (@ truegoods). The former says parabens in the amount used as a preservative in skincare is perfectly safe. The latter says parabens are inherently toxic to cells (more importantly, what it doesn't say. I could do an analysis...but that shit isn't relevant to this review.)

2) I make SURE that my hands and face are clean when I use my moisturiser. I only use it after I've cleansed my face, and if I'm ever in doubt (e.g. I've applied a chemical exfoliant and used my computer while I waited), I will use a pump of 99.99% germ-killing hand sanitiser or just rewash my hands.

I bought the big tub of this before I started Accutane and it saved my skin! Used it twice a day and my skin wasn't as dry as it should have been during my treatment.
Now I use it everynight during the winter and it doesn't break me out nor does it make me oily. I love this!