Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation

Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation

3.4

on 3/10/2017 2:58:00 PM

I think I have finally found "the one". I cannot even tell you how happy I am with this makeup.

First a couple of key points:
- I didn't like the matte version, but I love the original version!
- I use it in combination with the SPF25 mineral veil
- I use it with a soft, dense kabuki brush
- I always buff the hell out of it, which is what makes it have a natural texture
- I moisturize first

I used the matte formula in the past and did not re-purchase because I thought it made me look too "powdery". I went on to liquid makeup and have been using my liquid for months until I ran out and decided to try bare essentuals original formula. Well! What a difference from my experience with the matte formula and my experience with my liquid makeup. The finish is like skin with a subtle glow, not powdery at all. And it stays all day, unlike my liquid which I would carry a little travel container of in my purse to apply to my nose and chin where it would rub off. My liquid makeup was by Anna Sui, so ... semi-expensive stuff.

I never go for products that say they'll give you a glow because my forehead and nose get so shiny but this foundation did not go all shiny on me, in fact, I never wore moisturizer because I wanted to avoid shine but now I wear moisturizer under this mineral makeup and I am STILL NOT SHINY. I used to have to blot my face by 11 am. Now I can go until 2:00p.m. and even then I'm only a bit "dewy". I don't need to reapply the foundation, I just swirl on some mineral veil and it wicks away the dewyness and my skin looks as fresh as when I first put my makeup on in the morning. Since I use them together I'm not sure if it's the makeup or the mineral veil that is keeping me matte but I can say for sure that the combo is working really well for me. I should rate the veil separately but I wanted to mention that my opinion is effected by the fact that I use them both together.

Oh, and another thing! Under eye coverage for me was amazing with this foundation. I have really bad dark purple undereye circles with deep shadowy sockets and everything in my eye area just looks dark and sickly. I have been struggling with my undereyes for years trying to find solutions and I did find a routine that worked. My liquid makeup routine with undereyes used to be like this:
1. Liquid foundation all over(including eye area)
2. Illuminating undereye corrector
3. Undereye concealer (highly pigmented thick stuff)
4. Undereye brightening setting powder

So... THREE products just for my dark circles and that was on TOP of foundation. But this mineral foundation I buffed into my eye area and then was like "uh... I don't really need anything else...". I put on like a DOT of concealer just on one small area where the circle is super dark just because I'm so used to using concealer and it made me feel better (~_~'), but I could seriously go without it especially just for an everyday makeup look. Important to mention--I hydrate my undereyes first with a rich undereye cream and let that soak in before putting on any foundation. My creasing is no worse than with my fancy 4-step process mentioned above. Like... no creasing.. unless someone gets right up to my face and really looks for it.

So I can actually stop buying the undereye corrector and setting powder now! This foundation just saved me $80! This is why I'm giving it 5/5 for price, because it actually works out cheaper for me to buy this foundation instead of all those extra undereye products.

For concealing I use a small, densely bristled brush that is sort of the same shape as a kabuki. This is how I can get good coverage on my eye area and in the corners of my nose.

Some have complained about the texture being unnatural/clumpy/whatever, but they make no mention of how they put it on. For sure you can't just take a powder brush and swipe it on like a regular powder. You have to buff, buff, buff it in with circular motions. The more you buff the more natural looking the result will be. Also, you have to start with a small sprinkle of product, put that on and then do it again if you feel like you need it. Do not just load the brush up with a dime-sized pile of it and then try to make that look natural and even. There are plenty of videos showing how to apply so anyone new to it should follow those tips when trying it out.

Also, mineral makeup allows your skin to breathe better than liquid which is one reason why I wanted to switch. I want to take care of my skin and keep it healthy. It also has SPF in it. I use it over an SPF cream anyway but having more couldn't hurt.

Lastly, this company is on the list of companies that does not test on animals which is important to me and a reason I'm not buying Anna Sui anymore.

Firstly I was matched with the wrong shades by two different Bareminerals counters. When I finally bought the correct shade by using the online shade finder I loved it for the first few days. It's a little bit shimmery which left me looking glowing and it seemed to stay fairly well. I haven't changed anything but a few days in its now all clumped up by about midday, if I'm lucky to get that far! I'm gutted because I thought I'd finally found 'the one' and I really haven't!

on 8/9/2016 6:26:00 PM

This foundation topped with the mineral powder keeps my oily skin so matte every day. I love this combination of powders. It is definitely worth the price! The texture is so silky. There is a close and open rotating circle to regulate the amount of powder that comes out. This powder works wonders for oily to combination skin.

I love this stuff! The packaging can get a little messy you just need to make sure to screw the lid so it's shut before you close it. This foundation feels so light weight and is the only one I will wear because I hate having my face feeling greesy and heavy from liquid foundations. You can build this up so it can be whatever coverage you want it to be I love it!

on 5/18/2016 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This foundation is too shiny and has little white sparkles that make oily skin look even more oily, if you touch your face you will see the powder on your hand, the packaging is messy- the powder gets everywhere.
It can't control oil not even a bit, doesn't hide blemishes that well, highlights pores and I regret spending 29$ on this. it's not yellow enough for me (which is very weird regarding the comments here) but it is too light for my complexion. I would recommend you get the Alima Pure powder foundation it's so much better than this one.
Im gonna try the matte one and also I heard they expanded in shades so I'm excited to find a better match

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Growing up with acne ridden, oily skin, I was always recommended mineral makeup as it has the least amount of "comedgenics". Now that I am older, I have less acne spots and redness but I still have reactive and oily skin, so anything that disagrees with it, a breakout will immediately follow. This mineral foundation has been my safety net and the one I will use comfortably on a everyday basis, as it I know for sure it doesn't react negatively with my skin.

During the summer I use Golden Medium, a good match for a NC 35 tan, and winter, I use Light for my NC 20-25 skin. After primer and applying concealer under the eyes and one stubborn marks, I tap a small amount of the product on the lid with my Real Techniques buffing brush. Small amount is key here, if you overload your brush you can get patches of foundation that is every difficult to blend out. Building it up is possible to medium-full but do it slow, working in thin layers. Sometimes if I am lazy or in a huge rush, I go straight in with the foundation, but I will say, on its own it provides only a medium coverage and the staying power is kinda crap on oily skin. When it is buffed out initially, the powdery look only lasts for 30 mins before it warms up to the skin and I get a pretty skin like finish. I usually have to blot around 4 hours in, even with primer, and by the end of the day, the foundation separates on my face, not a pretty look, but salvageable with blotting and another powder foundation.

Packaging is functional but I always lay a tissue on the surface of where I place this foundation and the lid (where I tap and swirl off of) because that is just the nature of loose powder products, Over time the inside of the lid gets pretty caked up with foundation, but if you are worried about hygiene, you can always tap the foundation into a shallow bowl that you can regularly wash.

Whilst longevity and coverage isn't great, I will always need a foundation that my skin likes and will tolerate. That alone I will repurchase once I am out. I get mine at Sephora for $26.50 CAD each.

on 4/8/2016 6:04:00 PM

I really want to like this product. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin and is a powder (helpful since I'm a frequent traveler). Unfortunately, I just can't. The colors are all too warm or too cool for my light neutral/olive skin. The range just isn't there for it to work.

Plus, it sort of starts "melting" midday. Not really ideal if you work long hours and no amount of mineral veil works without requiring a touchup.

on 1/15/2016 11:21:00 PM

great coverage but breaks me out like crazy. and it doesnt do anything for my oily skin. im a greaseball by the end of the day.

on 8/20/2015 5:24:00 AM

I always come back to this foundation. I have acne prone skin and while using this foundation I see a clear improvement of my skin. In my opinion it gives a nice glow without the oily/shiny effect. Love it!

This used to be the only foundation I used for TEN YEARS. I may have even wrote a great review on it in the past. But man have things changed. I bought a new pot of this in regular and in matte and every time I would sweat my face would start burning and itching. It just kept getting worse until I had to change foundations. I googled it and I am not the only one this is happening to. Apparently bare minerals added some chemicals to their foundation. One in particular (bymuth oxide) is giving many people allergic reactions. But now that I have found the best foundation ever (MAC pro Longwear) I now realize how much bare minerals did not work and look at my allergic reaction as a blessing in disguise. Bare minerals has absolutely NO COVERAGE. No matter how much I tried to build coverage it just was not happening. And it lasted maybe an hour. I would apply before going to dinner and two hours later it would look like I had absolutely nothing on. So save your money and invest in something that actually works. And buy something else especially if you are looking for something with few chemicals since they have added some to the new formulation.