St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse
St. Moriz Self Tanner MousseSt. Moriz Self Tanner MousseSt. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

4.1

Aqua (Water), Dihydroxyacetone, Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Parfun (Fragrance), Citric Acid, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Coumarin, Citronellol, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Eugenol, CI 16035 (Red40), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1)

on 3/30/2011 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was spoiled with high expectations of a tan, before I quit fake-baking in dangerous beds. My search for a great self-tanner ended when I found this product through YouTube gurus (like many here).

Overall rating - 4 : This gives fantastic, bronze, believable color, that is buildable over a few days and lasts quite a while. NO orange tones. Simple application. Non-offensive smell (my boyfriend barely notices). Over time, with maintenance, this can keep you nice and tan. but it does take effort on upkeep, which is why this is a 4.

Price - 2: I am in the US and buy on Amazon. $30 for three bottles (including tax & shipping). Great price, and 3 bottles last me a long time.

Packaging - 5: Easy to pump out. Must shake the bottle before using, but it stays mixed for a while. Bottle doesn't get messy if you're somewhat careful. Not the "cutest" label design ever, but who cares?

This tan does require upkeep, or you will get fading/scaling in patches. My whole routine is as follows. Day 1- shower, shave if needed, and exfoliate well with regular soap (nothing creamy/oily) and a scrubby bath mitt. Pay extra attention to elbows/the usual dry spots. Right out of the shower, towel off and apply a regular (I use Vaseline lotion) moisturizer to backs of hands, tops of feet, elbows, knees, and ankles. Then, I put a rubber glove inside a cloth glove (like a winter one-size-fits-all glove). This is my "application hand". Three pumps for lower leg, three for upper leg, you get get picture. Slather on and blend until it is just about dry, then (important) STOP blending. It gets streaky if you go over an area too much. Go ahead and go over your knees/elbows if you put lotion on. Once it's all over, I take the gloves off, put a tiny amount on the back of one hand, and rub the backs of my hands together so they get tanned too. Do not put this on your palms! Dry for a few mins, then go to bed. I havent had problems with this rubbing off unless I sweat a bunch.

Morning shower, day 2: Shower as normal, and apply a moisturizer right after you get out.

From then on, I repeat "day 2 routine" and occasionally and randomly also exfoliate without then putting the product on.

I do "day 1 routine (tan day)" like every 3rd day, about twice weekly.

And that's it! Have never used it on my face, but I would probably try if I needed.

Once you want to phase-out this product or being tanned, you're going to have to accept patchiness for about a week. It sucks, but that's how it goes. Exfoliate regularly and you could even out the pale patches with a little bronzer if it's too obvious.

OVERALL, great price, I have repurchased several times, and I have gotten plenty of compliments from friends/family about the color of my tan. If you're going to be dedicated to the upkeep of this product, I say go for it!

on 10/20/2011 2:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought the original, not the dark. I'm an NC20-25 for reference though I'm sure my face is darker than the rest of my body - my body seems white white!

- Easy to use pump and you can control the amount you pump out. The mousse itself is a dark, muddy, 'dirty' colour, but it does look fine when you finish rubbing it in. Anyway this helps you out because you can see where it is and don't get any shocks when it fully develops! (Damn other fake tans lol)

- On the bottle itself it says you should exfoliate and moisturise, which I don't really do properly (I just can't be bothered, not gonna lie) and the application is still beautiful! So I really don't think it matters much unless you have a very dry skin. (My skin is pretty 'normal' though slightly dry I guess)

- You can wear gloves but it's not essential. I don't. It washes off my hands with soap after rinsing a few times so I see no need. After showering it comes completely off my nails (they are sometimes a LITTLE stained but not badly)

- It says for best results apply in the morning and allow at least 4 to 6 hours for the tan to develop before showering. However, you can apply it half an hour or so before going out and you're good to go. It develops instantly but does get darker. I applied it this afternoon then 4 hours later went in the shower. SO pleased with results. Read on for an explanation ;)

- After applying it and leaving for 4 hours, I went in the shower. You can see it in the water and it does fade very slightly, but I like that about it. It blends in and gets rid of any 'harsh' lines, all in all it just seems very blended and they are no streaks whatsoever. I put it on my face (which looks DARK and muddy after application) and after showering it looks super natural. NOT ORANGE AT ALL. Honestly, I don't understand other reviews saying it's orange! I cannot see it. It's a golden brown. SO much more brown than orange. Not streaky, no problems with it over spots etc. Flawless colour really.

- It says for mid tan, reapply in 5 to 7 days, and for a dark tan reapply in 3 to 5 days. I sort of agree with this, it doesn't fade immediately and it does stay for about 3 days so if you apply it after 3 days it will give you a darker tan because some of the tan will still be left on your skin. I think after 5-7 days it's very faded, pretty much gone, so it will need applied at least once a week if you want to keep your glow.

- Oh, one more thing, it makes my skin feel super moisturised. Honestly I can't stop touching my face especially!!! Truly recommended and I do hope people give this a chance. The price is just a massive plus. Hope this is is a helpful review for someone!

on 7/12/2015 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have tried many of the higher end ones (such as St Tropez recently) and then the lower end ones (Jergens, Equate..ect). Last week I gave the spray version of this a shot (on accident..thought I bought the mousse) and I *really* loved that. However this is hands down my favorite.

PROS:

-Application: As I suspected, the mousse is a lot easier to apply than the spray.

-Color: Very believable, natural color. It is not orange based. I am NC10 (think albino with yellow undertones). This gave me a golden, brown tinted tan. It is beautiful.

-Longetivity: This lasts at least 3 days, even with showers (given I don't attempt scrubbing it off purposely).

-Even fade: It doesn't wear off in weird, noticeable patches the way some self tanners do.

-0 odor. Jergens Gradual Tan lotion back in 2008 turned me off sunless tanning for a very long time because it smelled like rancid cat pee. The sunless tanning product industry has really evolved, I don't smell any fragrance in this nor nasty chemicals.

-The color guard: You get an instant bronzing effect. Which is awesome, because it shows where the tanner has been applied. This helps give you an even application.

-Dries immediately: This dries almost too quickly, and that's what makes Moriz unique. So many of the self tanners on the market leave a tacky film on my skin, causing my pores to choke and inflame. St Moriz tanners dry within 30 seconds. I can use this on my acne prone face and trust 100% that is not the culprit of any of my (now rare) breakouts.

CONS

-Darkens acne scars and pools into pores: this is the only con I'd found. It'll take even the lightest acne scars on my face and turn them blood red. My big facial pores become black dots. I love this tanner enough that I am will to work around this flaw. Besides, I wear foundation everyday anyways.

I'll report back if I find a solution to that.

Either way, this stuff is amazing.

I've been on MUA for years, but haven't actually written a review until now... however, I love this product so much that I just couldn't resist.

I would call myself a bit of a newbie when it comes to self-tanning, so St. Moriz in dark is only the third self-tanner I've ever tried (after Jergens, which took forever to show any color, and Banana Boat Deep Dark Color, which was just O.K). I am so impressed.

Pros:
- Color is not orange, but a natural tan, somewhere between olive and golden
- Scent is not horrible - there is a bit of a DHA smell, but it is still pleasant
- PRICE is amazing. I bought it for 12 dollars at ULTA in the U.S., but am now seeing that people have found it for cheaper online
- Bottle lasts a long time
- Color is dark enough to be noticed, but not dark enough to look fake. A second coat could be added for an extra oomph!
- Color fades evenly (at least on me) in about 4-6 days
- Doesn't stain sheets

Cons:
- Slightly sticky, but that's pretty much all I've got

Tips:
- Use a mit!!! Always use a mit
- Work in small sections to make sure the product doesn't dry before it's been rubbed in

on 8/23/2009 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: I still love this (and it's still a 5-lippy product in my opinion), but it did break me out terribly when I used it on my face - very painful spots on my chin that I couldn't get rid of for ages. Now that I've realised what was causing it I've stopped using it and they've gone away. However, I am very acne-prone in that area, so if you have normal-dry skin this might not affect you at all.

I have used St Tropez for years (see my review for details of how I apply it etc.) and, having tried various other drugstore self tanners, honestly thought it was worth spending a ridiculous amount of money on. Until I found St Moriz. It is 2.99, cheaper than any other fake tan I've used, and it is the only one that compares to St Tropez (which retails at a shocking 30 for a large bottle). The colour and finish of this product is identical to St Tropez in every way - a lovely even brown (not orange) colour that looks pretty natural but can be built up for a stronger colour. It's tinted, so really easy to apply.

In fact, the only difference I've found between St Moriz and St Tropez is that St Moriz dries faster. My application method with St Tropez was to apply a layer all over my body, then go back to the first place I applied it and start blending it, since at this stage it was 'tacky', and it stayed tacky and smudgy for about an hour after application. The St Moriz is completely, properly dry by the time I have applied a layer all over, so I have to blend it in on my legs before I've started on my arms, for example, but I can get dressed immediately after application - no stickiness or anything. Also, St Moriz has a more 'soapy' smell, while St Tropez smells more 'floral'. Both still have a lingering biscuity smell, but the smell only lasts until you shower.

The first time I used this, I applied St Tropez on my arms and face, and St Moriz everywhere else, and there was literally no difference in the colour or lasting power - both last nicely for about 5 days with frequent moisturising. I would highly recommend this if you want an easy-to-apply, natural looking fake tan. For 2.99 you have nothing to lose!

I got this from T J Hughes in Newcastle - they have absolutely loads of it there (I haven't seen it in T K Maxx, which is where a lot of people seem to have found it).

on 9/28/2015 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This is my go-to self tanner. Ulta carries this for $12.99 and I repurchase every single time. I used to go to the tanning beds a lot but as I get older I've been trying to find alternatives so I don't do anything that prematurely ages me or puts my body at risk. When I first bought this, I bought it in medium because I'm very fair. I now have repurchased this multiple times but now I get it in dark because medium only gives me a hint of color and dark makes me noticeably darker but still fairly light compared to some fake tanners. I purchased it with Ulta's tanning mit and I have to say the application of this mousse was smooth and streak free. This formula blended so easily and the color guard makes it easy to see if you missed a spot. I wear big clothes over it and although it doesn't stain my sheets or feel too sticky, I rather be safe than sorry. It does have a smell, not a good one but also not a bad one. I go to sleep and when i wake up I can tell I'm quite dark so I shower and gently wash the color guard off and I'm not as dark as before but everything looks natural and blended.

And I think that's my only "complaint" about this self tanner is that I wish they made one in extreme dark. But otherwise each shade gives a beautiful natural tan, it doesn't pull to orange or look fake at all. It fades within 4-5 days on me and it always fades evenly. However, I wished it lasted a little longer and was a tad darker - but for the price you absolutely cannot beat it!

on 6/4/2013 10:27:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

So a little back story. I grew up all my life in sunny California and just moved to Europe (The Netherlands) last year. I knew I would have to sacrifice my sunny days and mild winters but I wasn't really prepared for what a north-western European winter was gonna be like. Winter pretty much lasted from November-April. It's June now and the temp won't go higher than 65 degrees. Needless to say, it was extremely rough on me. I was as pale as I had ever seen myself and it just didn't look healthy. I had tried fake tanners back in high school 10 years ago and the experiences were never very good. No matter what I did, it always came out blotchy and the smell was overwhelming.
So in my desperation, I started watching youtube videos and reading up on what decent self tanners are on the market now. I was shocked when I saw so many rave reviews because the price is so low compared to St. Tropez/Xen-Tan/Fake Bake. I ended up buying the St. Moriz Mousse in Dark and the mitt. It was extremely easy to apply. You can clearly see any spots you missed and it dries so fast. The smell was the typical biscuit tan smell but it wasn't overwhelming. I applied it after showering and moisturizing and then let it develop overnight. When I washed it off the next morning, I was so in love with my skin again! It was beautifully bronzed. No streaks, no patchy spots. My tan lasted for about 4 days before it started fading which I think is pretty good for the price I paid. Only con is that after 2 days, my skin feels a bit dry and itchy even after moisturizing. The product also tends to cling to the skin around the elbows and knees and after day 5 when you think the tan is gone, it's still on your elbows.This product is great if you have an event coming up and need a good tan overnight.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a HG for me.

I am an N10, and tanning can be a daunting thought. It was my cousin who recommeneded this to me. She is crazy about tanning - never seen without that bronze glow. She said, "It's the exact same as St Tropez, but a fraction of the price!"... Normally I wouldn't believe someone that something worked as well as a trusted brand such as St Tropez, but since it was her, I was a believer.

So, off I went - to Semi-Chem, a discount chemist in the UK where they sell this gem for 2.99, and it's a A LOT of product. I also bought the ''Tantastic'' tanning mit there too. I am unsure of how much I paid, but it was not expensive. The glove is reallt good too, but that's not what I am reviewing - but if you are going to apply a self tanner such as St Moriz, then I do urge you to buy one.

After I showered, exfoliated and moisturized, it was time to apply. When I first pumped the product out, it was a dark mousse like consistancy. I like the fact that it is dark because then you can see where you are applying it. It spreads far and you don't need a huge amount. Although you may want to top up at the end if you have missed anything.

Initially I ''dotted'' the product over my body and then blended with the mitt. The only problem I have is that this stains hands, and I wish I had actually bought two mitts, so that one of my hands wasn't completely brown. But a little soap powder (yes, the stuff you wash your clothes in) takes it off very easily. A trick my mumma showed me ;)!

It only took me about 20 minutes to apply to my whole body. I got my sister to do my back where I couldn't reach. And then I went to bed.

My boyfriend made fun of me because it looked very odd at this moment, but the magic is when you wash it off in the shower.

The only downside to this is that although the smell isn't as bad as most self tanners, it was irritating me when I was trying to sleep... All I could smell was the St Moriz as I was drifting off.

In the morning I wash it off. It left a very natural glowing tan that suited me well, for one being so fair... Or should I just say white.

Other girls who are not as pale as my N10 may want to try the "St Moriz Dark". But I can see anyone being satisfied up to an NC30. Anyone above should try the St Moriz Dark.

I am very happy with the results of this product. And the application was fool proof, for a self tan virgin like me. Or I was before this stuff converted me!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

You really can't beat this for the price. I know that the RRP is around 6.99, but I get this in Northern Ireland at Semi-Chem or Gordon's Chemists for 2.99! I believe Home Bargains in England also sells it for this price.

Honestly, I think this performs as well as self-tan 10 times its price. I find it really easy to apply with a tanning mitt (you do need to do it in sections, though, as, like any tanning foam, it dries fairly quickly). It has a really good guide colour so it's easy to make sure you haven't missed anywhere. Though it does have that tell-tale fake tan smell, it's not at all unbearable. I've definitely used worse. It also doesn't seem to leave as much residue on my sheets as some brands, though it does still leave some.

You're not really supposed to use mousse tanners on your face. I decided to be a daredevil and try it anyway (simply because I'd run out of anything else to use instead!), and I actually got a perfect result. I was sure it would probably break me out at least a bit, but it didn't at all, even though my skin is quite sensitive. I just use it on my face for handiness now, rather than having to mess about with a second product, but I realise it may not work for everyone for this purpose.

The main negative of this is the fact that the guide colour is a decent bit darker than the shade underneath. The guide colour makes me look very brown - almost over-the-top - with one coat. Once I rinse it off in the shower the next morning, though, I'm left with a very natural, but fairly subtle colour. I've now learnt that I need to do 2 coats of this to get the colour I'm looking for. This is the same for me with most self-tan products; the difference is that I can tell that's the case from their guide colours. With this one, you'll think you're going to end up with a deeper tan than you actually get. Once you know this, though, it's not a problem - it just means that you know to do 2 coats even though the guide colour looks deep enough after one.

Personally, I think it's amazing that St Moriz gives as good a (if not better, in some cases) tan than the likes of Fake Bake and St Tropez while costing almost a tenth of what they do. I love how much money I'm saving since I started using this!

on 8/14/2010 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

pros:
-natural color!
-easy application
-no streaking
-color guide so you can tell where it's going on and blend saturated spots
-nice clean scent, hardly self tanner scent at all...very non-offensive
-price (roughly ten usd with shipping included!)
-compares to st tropez mousse

cons:
-hard to get, only sells in england must order online (amazon or ebay) takes along time to come. suggest stocking up if you know you like
-must wear gloves! in my experience anyway...tried doing what some said on youtube (wash hands after each body part), but hands turned brown
-can be a bit messy if not careful, be prepared to sit on a towel

Tips:
- watch st tropez's how to video on you tube on washoff mousse application for a guideline of how much product to use
-do the usuals! exfoliate, moisturize, and watch the "self tanning queen" or " annidote skincare" (same chick) on you tube for a complete rundown on successful self-tanning.
-wear gloves! if you can't find extra small...use a hair tye to tighten the gloves and give you more control with the application
-use makeup wedge or sponge to apply to feet and hands

Excellent product, price, and value! Could become my HG ST! Awaiting results after 1st application, will update.

***Update****

the color was gorgeous until i took a shower and the color guide washed off. I still had a subtle tan, but being very fair I want the deep golden! Having that said it it the most natural color of ST I've ever used, and I found it easy to apply.
Do suggest buying a mit(6 usd on st tropeztan.com) or using an old sock over a rubber glove; that makes application much quicker and easier.
Am sticking with this for now, and using a gradual tanner to deepen/maintain