3.6

package quality

price range

Reviews

12 years ago

this book changed my life! can't recommend it highly enough, GO AND BUY IT!!!

About reviewer (12 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

EyesBlue

3.0

15 years ago

I found Paula 's book informative to an extent. However,I found some of her claims off balance. Not everything is bad and not everything is good to put it simply. Not everyone is the same, therefore, certain skincare ingredients benefits some and not others. People should stick with what works best for them. Also, she promotes her skincare products which happen to have some of the ingredients she claimed as not good or not showing any benefits on the skin. She is also biased against mass-produced skincare products, and seems to be more partial toward expensive skincare lines. While, this may be scientifically true, some people are happy with products that are not so expensive, which benefit their skin. Having said that, she did however provide an informative use of ingredients which help the consumer become a more savvy consumer. This is the part I liked most, but other than that, I found she was just trying to push her own products. Do what suits your skin type justice. Stick to what you believe is good. Keep things simple.

About reviewer (478 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

15 years ago

I think you have to take this book for what it's worth. I try to read this as objectively as possible and filter through Paula's opinions especially when THOSE don't always seem so objective. She is not perfect, and I definetely disagree with her about most of her opinions on make-up. I think she belongs to a different generation and school of thought when it comes to preferences in the finishes of cosmetics (e.g. I love shimmer and sparkle and I think that's just fine) but hey, I don't need to take her every word as the God's honest truth. Also, I know she has undergone a lot of criticism for bashing other products and then promoting her own. I don't know what to think about that, but I have tried some of her products and some of them are great, and some of them suck. To her credit, she is very forthcoming about her limitations IMO if you ever read some of the Q & A on her website. Again, it is up to us to be informed consumers and that is what I think her books are trying to teach us, snippy comments aside. I think this book's true value, for me anyway, is to educate the reader about cosmetic ingredients. I certainly have saved a lot of money and improved the condition of my skin by following her advice, but I don't follow her so strictly that I wouldn't still make my own conclusions. This book has also helped explain a lot of "mysteries" as to why products I thought would be great ended up turning out as duds. I wish she'd come out with a new addition b/c I think the whole newsletter thing is pretty annoying. In all, I think this is a good reference to have, especially if you know nothing about the ingredients you are putting on your face and hair and body and next to your eyes every day.

About reviewer (883 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

15 years ago

First of all, I agree with everyone that Paula can sometimes get stuck in her rants. She forgets -- or chooses to ignore -- that cosmetics and glamour are hopelessly intertwined. We want that luxe product, not because it is a cosmetic panacea, but because it is luxe! That being said, some high end items are wastes of time and money (Stila mascara) and some cheap stuff is worth its weight in gold (Sonia Kashuk, some Wet 'N Wild products) This is nonethless my HG of beauty info. I have not always agreed with her. I love shimmer! Matte looks flat on me. I also like some color at times, and like a colored mascara from time to time. I think retinol works. But I go to her every single time for a reality check; especially on ingredients and label copy.

About reviewer (306 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry

HairBrunette

15 years ago

I refer to this book and her monthly newsletter constantly. She is right on the mark as far as products that deliver and products that don't. I think everyone she own this book.

About reviewer (59 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

15 years ago

I think the problem a lot of people have with this book is that it is a bit of a downer- we like fancy packaging and miracle creams, so finding out that some of them have the same ingredients as some $5/gallon drugstore staple is a bit depressing. Obviously, different products work for different people, but it is hard to argue against the scientific basis for certain products being ineffectual (even if you reeeally want that caffeine-laced eye cream to work). Saying that Paula is biased is true- she isn't a supreme court judge, people- but I never, ever got the sense that she's pushing her products, and definitely no more than those from lines she has absolutely no stock in.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinDry

EyesBlue

15 years ago

This is a great book. Lots of good reviews and good information. It has more than paid for itself by preventing me from buying crap products. I refer to it a lot.

About reviewer (44 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

16 years ago

This book is very informative. I learned a lot of things reading this book and became a smarter consumer. I liked how she talked about sunscreens and its ingredients and the anti-aging stuffs. This book is very recommended!

About reviewer (42 reviews)

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

16 years ago

I really learned a lot from this book. Many people have complained about the book being all about Pauls'a opinions... well of course it is, it's her book and she states quite clearly that these are her opinions! What did you expect? Anyway, she is quite informed and backs up her statements by quoting her research sources. Ladies, we should feel lucky to have someone like her on OUR side, she really is trying to protect us from products that are potentially harmful or irritating. And that's really the key word here, potential. Many people complain that Paula does not like a certain product that they may love. But Paula isn't saying everyone will have a bad expreience with it, just that you MIGHT have a bad reaction. This book should be seen as a guideline, not an absolute. It helps you make more informed choices, not make your choices for you. Some people argue that she is just trying to promote her own line. But Paula recommends as many products from competing lines as she discourages. And she sarted doing this long before she came out with her own cosmetics and skin care line. By the way, her products are awesome. I have never used one that I dodn't like and I'm dieing to try more of them as soon as I get more money.

About reviewer (76 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

3.0

16 years ago

A FRIEND INTRODUCED ME TO THIS BOOK AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT IT WAS VERY INTERESTING. PAULA IS THE MOST OPINIONATED PERSON. EVEN IF SHE GIVES A PRODUCT A SMILEY FACE OR GOOD REVIEW SHE ALWAYS THROWS SOME SLY COMMENT IN TO DOWN THE PRODUCT. THE FUNNIEST THING IS AFTER READING MOST OF THE BOOK I FIND OUT THAT SHE HAS HER OWN LINE OF SKIN-CARE. HOW BIAS IS THAT. SHE TALKS ABOUT ANTIOXIDANTS AND HOW THERE IS NO PROOF THAT THEY CAN WORK ON THE SKIN BUT THEN SHE COMES OUT WITH THE SUPER ANTI-OXIDANT CONCENTRATE. SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS A LITTLE CONFUSED OR MONEY HUNGRY. ANYWAYS THE BOOK WAS INTERESTING BUT IN A FUNNY SORT OF WAY. GIRLS STICK TO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU NOT WHAT SOME SELF-ABSORBED WOMAN RECOMMENDS.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinNormal