shu uemura Brow Pencil

Filtered by hair type : Curly
shu uemura Brow Pencil

4.3

hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera/candelilla wax, carnauba/carnauba wax, rhus succedanea/rhus succedanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernal oil, [ /-may contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide]

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Absolute HG brow material.
I started off with this brow pencil in Stone Grey but later on bought Sound Black when I died my hair black. The SA recommended Grey because my hair was blondish-brown at the time. To be honest, I was afraid of going for black because I'm terrified of the drawn on/stamped on/drag queen brow look. I prefer my MU to look very natural. I really don't want sharp, crisp and obvious definition and that's why I was too scared of buying the black one. However, there was nothing to be scared about. Both Stone Grey and Sound Black provide extremely natural brows. I have sparse brows, especially towards the tail end. I find that this gives just the right amount of colour and it's impossible to over do this. It takes quite a few strokes of the pencil to build up colour so you can get the desired intensity level you want without suddenly ruining your brows by pressing too hard or whatever. My brows look SOOO natural yet fuller and I'm able to frame my face with this pencil. I manage to look 10x better with this product. I can now also fulfil my dreams of black hair, dark brows and red lips :D I was too afraid to fill in my brows before I got this pencil (even though I knew I desperately needed to) because I was just soooo afraid of them looking too out of place and obvious. This makes it a breeze, it's fool proof, even for brow novices like me.
If you have a freshly cleansed face then this might take a little while to show up on your brows because the pencil works by reacting with the oils on the hair for colour pay off - according to the SA. I find it shows up a lot if you apply moisturiser on and around your brows. So if you've just washed your face, this may not show up on you for a while. It is not waxy so if you have long eyebrow hairs, either trim them or use clear mascara to keep them in place.
I find the Japanese sharpening interesting. It is optional and I got it done at the Shu counter when I first bought the pencil in Stone Grey. It is shaped like a dagger - they cut off the point of the pencil and then shave off the sides so the pencil has flat sides and looks like a knife. You can go and get this re-done when needed at the Shu counter. When I purchased Sound Black, I asked for a pencil with standard sharpening. However, I think I prefer Japanese sharpening. It does waste product but to be honest with the length of the pencil, you can afford a little wastage. I find the Japanese sharpening more convenient when it comes to doing my brows. I can tell that this is going to last me an extremely long time. I have used my new black one about 5 times and the point is still very sharp. I am considering snapping a bit off the pencil to carry it around with me for touch ups. I can afford to do that because the pencil is very long.
If you are looking for sharp, ultra defined brows, then this is not for you.

on 1/8/2008 11:31:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Excellent brow pencil. I have very light blonde, nearly white eyebrows; not super thin but they need filling in in spots. I bought the Shu Hard pencil in Seal Brown after trying many other products and I have to say this gives me the most natural but polished-looking brows. My brow color is tricky because I color my hair a cool red and everyone wants to give me either warm brown or warm red brows, and neither look right. Seal Brown is an ash brown, not too dark, and works with the cool red. You must keep it sharpened (I just use a regular sharpener, I could do the hand-sharpening thing, but it arrived with a standard pointed end so I'm keeping it that way.) It doesn't deliver much color payoff when it's rounded and dull from use. So keep it sharp, apply in even pencil strokes, go over your brows gently with a spoolie brush when you're done. You'll have terrific looking brows that hold up through a long day without needing touchups.

on 12/2/2005 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is far too expensive, but it works! It stayed put and looks great. I can't believe how expensive it is, but I've tried cheaper versions, and the quality and the durability just weren't the same. It's not too waxy and a light touch is all you need. I'm hoping that because you don't need to use so much product that it will justify its outrageous cost. I'd buy it again, but I might stray to find something less costly...

on 5/5/2003 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I couldn't stand it any longer - I finally broke down and spent $20 (plus tax and shipping) from Beauty.com for the hard formula of the Shu Uemura eye brow pencil. The color I ordered H3-Olive Sheen ended up being a normal medium-dark brown. This color is a little darker than I prefer. I don't see a huge difference between this brow pencil and the dozens of others (both high and low end) that I have tried over the years. I don't think this pencil is harder than other brands so the name makes little sense to me. I just want to add to this review that I stopped using this brow pencil completely when I discovered the retractable eye brow liner from Shu Uemura that I like so much better and that has since become my holy grail. It's a more expensive initial purchase but the refills are cheaper and the pencil container will last forever. The texture and look on the retractable eye brow liner is soft and natural and leaves me with perfect brows.