shu uemura Brow Pencil

Filtered by skin type : Oily
shu uemura Brow Pencil

4.5

hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera/candelilla wax, carnauba/carnauba wax, rhus succedanea/rhus succedanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernal oil, [ /-may contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide]

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I really, really wanted to love this pencil. Like everyone's already said, the application is easy, it stays in place, it's hard to overdo it, and it lasts forever. All good points that I agree with. I was really hoping this would take away the need for me to ever buy another brow product. The reason for the less than perfect score? The pencil oxidized on my skin.

The Sephora in my area has it available in Seal Brown and Stone Grey. The first time I tried seal brown it looked reddish on me, so I tried the stone grey instead, expecting an ashy taupe colour - but it turned completely red on me! It was actually very strange, even the Sephora rep said he's never seen this happen before - I believe his exact word choice was "that's trippy". We both watched in fascinated horror as a swatch of stone grey - perfectly ashy on his hand - quickly turned red on mine!

Something about the formulation just didn't work with my body chemistry, and no matter what shade it was supposed to be, it always turned red on my skin. I don't think it's the pencil's faultÖ it wouldn't be the first thing that's oxidized on my skin. I just wanted to put this out there that it does happen, and let people know that especially for those of you with oily skin, it's best to try this first before buying. And if you find it looks to reddish for you, it might be oxidizing, and in that case changing shades won't necessarily help. If you are unfortunate like me, I would suggest to try Anastasia's brow pencils instead, I didn't have oxidization issues with their Medium Ash shade.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I ordered this sight unseen and it's a great match for my dark brown brows. After using Smashbox Brow Tech powder for the past few years, I was wary of trying a pencil because I was afraid it would be too heavy, but this gives the perfect amount of color. I will say that it does live up to its name - the pencil is very hard and a bit uncomfortable when applying - but the effect is so natural I'm willing to ignore it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

RE: The Shu H9 Formula Hard Brow Pencil in Seal Brown.

I absolutely adore this brow pencil! After many years of blissful ignorance using my old favorite (Chanel's pencil in Blonde Cendre), I decided to break down & give this pencil a try as I sometimes noticed a slightly unnatural, crayon-y look to my brows in certain light. For reference, I'm a cool PPP, with light brown hair, green eyes & semi-full brows with slightly sparse brow tails. This pencil truly does deliver on its promise of filling in my brows and those problematic tails w/o ever looking drawn on or unnaturally pencilled-in. The shade Seal Brown seems to blends pefectly in with my natural brow color (medium brown) w/o any distracting reddish undertones. As the name indicates, this pencil is hard in texture and it took some getting used to initially, however, I've found that I simply need to press a little harder than I've had to do with other brow pencils. In my opinion, the firmer texture of this pencil is a critical factor behind the flawlessly natural results I've been able to achieve with is product. UPDATE (8/11/08): Still using and loving this product but want to point out a very helpful comment I saw mentioned on the MU board by another MUA'er (cannot remember her user name). She suggested that using this product on freshly cleansed skin/brows may diminish effectiveness as its works best w/ a little skin oil to activate it. I've found this to be very true and while my skin regains it oily state very quickly after cleansing, others might want to be sure to moisturize first to ensure best possible performance.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I thought I had my makeup routine down until my Shu SA noted that my face didn't look finished b/c I neglected my brows. And thus, my love affair with H9 Brown 03 began. I'm a C3 with dark brown eyes & black hair but Brown 03 matches my eye brows exactly. Definitely my holy grail!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've tried everything on the planet when it comes to eyebrow makeup. Powders/eyeshadows looked somewhat natural but never lasted more than a minute, and waxes and pencils always looked so cakey and harsh. I'd heard so much about this eyebrow pencil, but never got a chance to try it because there were no Shu Uemura products available in Hawaii for a long time. Finally got a chance to try it and I fell in love! The pencil is very hard and dry, and that allows me to gently apply it on moisturized skin, and the result is so natural. The color Seal Brown is perfect on my very sparse brows. Usually, pencils look so harsh and obvious due to my lack of eyebrows, but this color blends in so well, it looks perfect! I've seen that some people aren't happy with the fact that it needs to be sharpened at the counter for the slanty shape. I just use a small boxcutter to lightly shave off the sides when it gets dull, but even when it's sharpened into a point, it still works fine. I've barely used a third of the pencil, and I've had it forever! Talk about getting your money's worth!

on 3/4/2005 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pencil. I bought this in Seal Brown Hard 9 formula and this pencil is perfect on me. I'm Asian with pale skin and dark brown hair but my eyebrows are very very sparse. I do like the natural look and I wanted a product that lightly defines, is quick to apply and doesnít look like I drew two dark opaque lines on my forehead with a marker. It's taken me years to find that brow....I've tried Anastasia, Chanel, Smashbox, MAC, Laura Mercier, Shiseido, Vincent Longo, LORAC, Stila, Paula Dorf, Club Monaco (discontinued), Maybelline, Revlon...in powder, pencil, pomade and brow mascara. I've found that the consistency for most of the products were either too soft or too pigmented or the brunettes/blondes/ash were too golden, red, dark or light which resulted in a very harsh and unnatural brow on me. Iíve finally found and LOVE this Seal Brown pencil. Itís the perfect brown that lightly and naturally defines my brows. I donít have a problem with the firmness (prefer it that way) but as others have said moisturizers/foundations/sunscreens helps with the application. Plus, it lasts all day on me. I Highly Recommend! EDIt: For those ladies that prefer powder for their brows, I've found that MAC French Grey e/s is pretty close to the Shu Seal Brown pencil....fyi!

on 10/28/2004 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Love, love, love this pencil. Perfect color for me (Stone Gray 05). Apply lightly and it is the perfect color for dark Ash blondes. All other blonde brow pencils I've tried were too gold, brown pencils, well, too brown. I was happily using the darkest color from Trucco High Brow trio(powder) but the Shu is more ashy and so much easier to use. Don't be afraid of the "hard" quality, it's perfect. Moisturizer, sunblock, or foundation will lend some slip.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

i'm using the seal brown hard formula as well. this is a perfect formula for me as the skin around my eye brow area can be quite oily. i think this pencil can really last! very value for money. however, i wished they can have a brush attached to the cap tho' just like those at PX..

on 7/21/2003 5:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Love it!!! Its very easy to draw onto the brows without looking too harsh and fake. Would definately buy it again

on 9/4/2002 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The "Hard Formula" in H9 (they come in 3 different hardnesses - H3, H6 and H9) is the best! It looks really natural and stays put. I've fallen asleep with my makeup on, and I still have eyebrows when I wake up. At $20 each, it's a bit pricey, but the pencil is quite long. I've been using the same one - Seal Brown for dark brunettes - for over a year.