MAC Frost - Amber Lights

MAC Frost - Amber Lights

4.3

Talc, Zinc Stearate, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, [ /- Silica, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Manganese Violet, Red 40 Lake, Ultramarines, Yellow 5 Lake]

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Amber Lights is probably the only MAC shadow (besides Expensive Pink) that I can ever say that I truly loved, and I have tried a lot of them over the years. It is a very shimmery, nearly-metallic orangey gold (or amber) that really works so beautifully on my blue eyes (though it looks good against brown, green, and hazel eyes too.) The formula is nicer, in my opinion, than a lot of MAC shadows as well.

As with most of the MAC frost shadows, this isn't as pigmented or foiled as it looks in the pan. I would still say it's a basic to have in your kit for every day looks if you just want to brighten your eyes up or for smoky looks to give a bit of shine. When I wear it at night, I do one base coat of it with a 228 and then "foil" it on with a 242 that I've sprayed with Fix+.

A very nice frosted gold copper colour. Goes great with various shades,. Today I'm wearing it with plumage and it looks good. With shimmery colours like this I like using a matte shade in the crease. I buy the mac pallete inserts bc they're inexpensive .

on 5/6/2017 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Had this colour. It's a dark yellow coppery gold colour, extremely pigmented has a high radiance (shine factor). I just don't like this colour on me. Great colour payoff, super pigmented, blends very well. Gave this one away...unfortunately not my shade of gold. I can see this being fab on darker pigmented skin tones.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This was one of the first shadows that I ever bought and it is so pretty and pigmented. It is the perfect gold for my brown skin and goes on super soft! Love it!

If you like a strong shimmery yet velvety look.. this is the one :) .. Simply gorgeous.

on 12/22/2016 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This eye-shadow looks beautiful with red lipstick! Its a very pigmented gold copper color that looks good with my light olive skin. A must have!

on 6/12/2015 1:54:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Amber Lights, to me, is a coppery, orange-y bronze color. This eye shadow has wonderful lasting power, and can look great when paired with the right eye shadows. I don't like wearing it just by itself, because it can pull a bit too orange-y for me. Amber Lights is definitely not my favorite from MAC, but when done right, this color is great to have in your collection. I probably wouldn't buy this again, because I tend to gravitate towards other colors.

on 12/11/2016 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

All time favorite eyeshadow! I literally go through this quite easily since its my everyday eyeshadow. I find most natural or neutral colors to pull ashy on me since I have a lot of yellow to my skin.
I wouldn't describe this as bronze whatsoever.
Bronze is more reddish. I'd consider this a more 20kt or 22kt GOLD. Most western people hardly see this type of gold, the common gold here is 14kt which looks more yellow since its diluted. If you like that straight up yellow gold then I'd go for "goldmine" but I find this type doesn't look good to me, more like an iridescent yellow.

I find the eastern jewelry that is 20-22kt have that slight peach tone to it that reflects yellow and I find this matches a lot of my jewelry and looks gorgeous. I'm around a C35, also around NC30-35 and due to my undertone and depth of skin tone I don't find this looking orange whatsoever, just looks like a true gold. I find the formula is great, very pigmented, smooth to blend out and doesn't have issues with fading. I'd recommend this for a lot of central Asian/middle eastern people, desi, southeast Asian, Latinas and on black women with deeper complexions I like it as a highlight. I've used it on a lot of people within these groups and they've all loved it. It can look glam but not overdone and quite neutral due to it flowing with their complexion rather than contrasting.

If you have a lighter complexion and/or a pink undertone this can pull quite orange, if that's what you're going for this could be a nice shimmery/not in-your-face type of orange and could be a nice transition color to add some warmth to your eye makeup especially if you want to compliment blue eyes without doing a full on orange eye look.
All in all, I think this could work for anyone, it doesn't look the same on everyone but it can work for a lot of people and in different ways
If you're wanting a softer gold than "goldmine" I would go with "wood winked" which isn't as saturated as goldmine since it has a little brown and not as peachy as "amber lights" I think woodwinked also looks different on everyone, basically, I'm sure MAC has a gold for everyone but this one is my absolute favorite :)

on 5/23/2016 1:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is one of the best eyeshadow MAC has even made, it is highly pigmented, lasts very well for a long time even without a primer. It could also work as a highlighter for medium to dark complexion. You can blend it with a matte bronzer to make it a bit more shimmery, it works great as well. It feels very light on this eyelid and you definitely don't need to pack the product onto the lid for the desired look because it's so pigmented. Buy it whenever you get your hands on it!