Cliniderm Gentle Protective Lotion SPF 45

Cliniderm  Gentle Protective Lotion SPF 45

3.6

Medicinal Ingredients (w/w): Titanium Dioxide USP 6.6%, Zinc Oxide USP 6.1% Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Aqua, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Alumina, Methicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Butylene Glycol Cocoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Phospholipids, Silica, Glycerin, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ceteareth-12, Cetyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Capryloyl Glycine, Tocopherol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Rosemary Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used to use the Olay Regenerist SPF 50, but sadly, it's almost impossible to find in Canada anymore and shipping is outrageous. Went into Shoppers and picked this up on the recommendation of the sales woman. Backstory here, I'm allergic to most sunscreens and the sun itself breaks me out. The combination of sunscreen and sun exposure often causes blistering around my eyes and it's awful. So this is a great product for me- completely not irritating.

I wear this EVERY single day rain or shine and love it. I wear a lot of makeup and this doesn't affect it at all. Just give it a minute or two to set before you put on your primer and you're good to go. I've seen some reviews saying it messed up their application, but I've yet to have an issue. Perhaps it's that I use a primer everyday, but I can't say for sure. A lot of reviews say it's drying, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary on that front.

This runs about 30.00 at Shoppers which is comparable to all higher SPF daily lotions I've seen, so I have no real issue with it. Honestly, it's a solid product if you've got sensitive skin- though obviously, that's going to vary from person to person as we all have different sensitivities. Still, if you want to give it a shot, it's decently priced for what you get.

on 5/1/2017 2:43:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This is an effective sunscreen that doesn't cause breakouts but it is too oily/shiny for my skin. This would work better for someone with dry skin. Purchased at SDM for about $35cad. Would not repurchase

on 1/27/2017 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Bought this recently (late 2016) and mine is in a squeeze tube, not the pump bottle pictured above. In my personal experience, this is a great sunscreen that works really well under foundation. I noticed some other reviews where they mentioned it makes long wear foundation ball up, but it doesn't to that at all for me. I've worn it under MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing and L'Oreal Infallible Matte and it performed beautifully and my makeup stayed perfect all day (including a trip to the ortho, having my mouth pulled all over the place). Maybe it's been reformulated? Maybe the Canadian version is different? I have normal/combo skin, no real issues other than a slightly oily t-zone. This works nicely for me but as it has a smooth dry finish, it may not be the best for dry skin unless you use a decent moisturizer first. I use moisturizer anyways so I never notice any dryness. It's not at all silicone-y (which is usually the issue that causes foundation to ball up IME). Texture is a thin white cream that disappears when you apply it. I'm around an NC30/C4 and it doesn't make me white. I far prefer this to any regular "face and body" sunscreen that feels thick and sticky on the face. Both this and the La Roche Posay Tinted Mineral SPF 50 are topping the ranks for me right now.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm still in the early stages of using this though I quite like it. It hasn't broken me out (huge concern of mine) and it doesn't turn my face into a grease ball. Most other sunscreens I've tried are either too irritating or too greasy for me to wear. I have dry skin right now though, and I do notice that on days when I wear this sunscreen my skin is SUPER dry. Flaking off dry. I'm a little surprised because I layer this over cerave cream. At first I thought this was just because I wasn't drinking enough water while on retin-a but after reading other reviews and a little bit of internet research turns out this sunscreen is reaaaaaaally good at sopping up oil. To prevent this I make sure to apply a bit of oil to my face before the sunscreen. My current routine is:
vitamin c serum
facial oil (tarte maracuja or rose hip seed oil, maybe both if I'm feeling extra dry)
cerave cream
cliniderm sunscreen lotion

I've yet to try this under makeup, though I would definitely NOT try without a very hydrating primer (for me at least). I could see this being an amazing sunscreen lotion for those with oily skin but if you have dry or even normal skin I highly recommend another form of moisture underneath.

**ETA I've had to take my review from a 4 down to a 2 just because of how drying this sunscreen is on my face. I think I may be having a reaction to one of the ingredients that makes my face flushed after application. I cannot use this more than a few days in a row otherwise my skin becomes painfully dry so this is best suited for those with oily skin.

on 10/22/2015 4:43:00 PM

A delightful sunscreen if you're wearing it WITHOUT any(!!!) makeup on top, especially if you want a sunscreen that leaves absolutely zero shiny/greasy appearance. This sunscreen comes out of the tube quite liquidy, goes on smooth, has zero smell, and leaves a nice natural matte finish. And I've tested this on long days in the summer- it keeps away sunburns and tans very well.

The problem, and the reason I will very likely not be able to use this up: It performs HORRIBLY underneath makeup. Expect your foundation, even longwearing formulas (I typically use ELDW, Rimmel 25h, Revlon CS Whipped) to break apart, ball up, and as the day go on, turn into very obvious, unattractive "patches" of foundation on the skin. I've also used it under a powder only, and the result may have been even worse.

TL;DR: Wear this on days when you aren't wearing makeup. It's a disaster underneath foundation.

This is the best face sunblock I've used. I like that it doesn't make me greasy and it makes my skin look clear. The new formula which came out in 2009 I think, comes in a tube.

on 7/17/2015 10:45:00 PM

Unfortunately, this product broke me out like mad. I was so happy to finally find a physical sunscreen with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide but alas - it was not meant to be. I have oily skin however this sunscreen made my skin flake. My skin looked very dry, especially around the nose and chin. It also did not sit very well with makeup - it made anything I put on top 'roll' or 'pill' off. Basically I looked like I was shedding. Not a good look. Mine also came in a tube, however since the product is fairly liquidy a lot would pour out when you squeezed it. I had to return it - if you can, try to get a sample before committing. Sunscreens are notorious for being the most finicky of skin products. It's a very YMMV kind of situation.

on 7/2/2014 12:36:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Oh man, where to start... I bought this in May 2014, back when I was in my "physical" sunscreen phase. Physical sunscreens only contain titanium/zinc oxide so are potentially less irritating. This stuff was nice because it didn't give my face a white cast; it's tinted yellow so it's easy to blend in. However, this sunscreen completely dried my face out, especially around my nose and cheeks. Without fail, I would be flaking an hour later. Bummer. Sure I'm protecting myself from the sun, but do I have to shed skin everywhere as well?

Because this was a failure for my face, I've been experimenting with using it on my neck/chest. Nope. My chest is SO DRY and the skin feels thin and...sanpapery. My neck seems to be turning like that as well. I don't know what is irritating me in this but I won't be using it anymore. I should be happy cause it was over $30 at Shoppers, haha.

The best thing about this was it smelled like marzipan/almonds to me. That was nice. :P

on 2/6/2014 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great product for Rosacea, effective without any irritation.

This is great for those with sensitive and dry skin. This did not irritate my face nor did it dry it out. It always works very well under makeup. It has a slight yellow tint to it which I prefer over white as it can lead to a white cast but this doesn't at all. If you have oily skin this would make a good everyday sunscreen/moisturizer. But if you have dry skin you may want to add a layer of moisturizer. The downsides to this is it is pricey at about $29 (approx. don't recall exact price). Why I rate it low for me, is that although it is labelled non-comodegenic, it broke me out. I looked at the ingredient list again and saw two highly comodegenic ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol and Cetyl Alcohol. Doing my research (as I am acne prone) these two ingredients are highly clogging and should avoid if acne prone. Though everyone's skin is different. This product didn't work for me, unfortunately.