Cliniderm Gentle Protective Lotion SPF 45

Cliniderm  Gentle Protective Lotion SPF 45

3.5

Medicinal Ingredients (w/w): Titanium Dioxide USP 6.6%, Zinc Oxide USP 6.1% Non-Medicinal Ingredients: Aqua, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Alumina, Methicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Butylene Glycol Cocoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Phospholipids, Silica, Glycerin, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ceteareth-12, Cetyl Alcohol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Capryloyl Glycine, Tocopherol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Rosemary Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm still in the early stages of using this though I quite like it. It hasn't broken me out (huge concern of mine) and it doesn't turn my face into a grease ball. Most other sunscreens I've tried are either too irritating or too greasy for me to wear. I have dry skin right now though, and I do notice that on days when I wear this sunscreen my skin is SUPER dry. Flaking off dry. I'm a little surprised because I layer this over cerave cream. At first I thought this was just because I wasn't drinking enough water while on retin-a but after reading other reviews and a little bit of internet research turns out this sunscreen is reaaaaaaally good at sopping up oil. To prevent this I make sure to apply a bit of oil to my face before the sunscreen. My current routine is:
vitamin c serum
facial oil (tarte maracuja or rose hip seed oil, maybe both if I'm feeling extra dry)
cerave cream
cliniderm sunscreen lotion

I've yet to try this under makeup, though I would definitely NOT try without a very hydrating primer (for me at least). I could see this being an amazing sunscreen lotion for those with oily skin but if you have dry or even normal skin I highly recommend another form of moisture underneath.

**ETA I've had to take my review from a 4 down to a 2 just because of how drying this sunscreen is on my face. I think I may be having a reaction to one of the ingredients that makes my face flushed after application. I cannot use this more than a few days in a row otherwise my skin becomes painfully dry so this is best suited for those with oily skin.

on 10/22/2015 4:43:00 PM

A delightful sunscreen if you're wearing it WITHOUT any(!!!) makeup on top, especially if you want a sunscreen that leaves absolutely zero shiny/greasy appearance. This sunscreen comes out of the tube quite liquidy, goes on smooth, has zero smell, and leaves a nice natural matte finish. And I've tested this on long days in the summer- it keeps away sunburns and tans very well.

The problem, and the reason I will very likely not be able to use this up: It performs HORRIBLY underneath makeup. Expect your foundation, even longwearing formulas (I typically use ELDW, Rimmel 25h, Revlon CS Whipped) to break apart, ball up, and as the day go on, turn into very obvious, unattractive "patches" of foundation on the skin. I've also used it under a powder only, and the result may have been even worse.

TL;DR: Wear this on days when you aren't wearing makeup. It's a disaster underneath foundation.

To Read all 32 Reviews, Login or Join

This is the best face sunblock I've used. I like that it doesn't make me greasy and it makes my skin look clear. The new formula which came out in 2009 I think, comes in a tube.

on 7/17/2015 10:45:00 PM

Unfortunately, this product broke me out like mad. I was so happy to finally find a physical sunscreen with both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide but alas - it was not meant to be. I have oily skin however this sunscreen made my skin flake. My skin looked very dry, especially around the nose and chin. It also did not sit very well with makeup - it made anything I put on top 'roll' or 'pill' off. Basically I looked like I was shedding. Not a good look. Mine also came in a tube, however since the product is fairly liquidy a lot would pour out when you squeezed it. I had to return it - if you can, try to get a sample before committing. Sunscreens are notorious for being the most finicky of skin products. It's a very YMMV kind of situation.

on 7/2/2014 12:36:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Oh man, where to start... I bought this in May 2014, back when I was in my "physical" sunscreen phase. Physical sunscreens only contain titanium/zinc oxide so are potentially less irritating. This stuff was nice because it didn't give my face a white cast; it's tinted yellow so it's easy to blend in. However, this sunscreen completely dried my face out, especially around my nose and cheeks. Without fail, I would be flaking an hour later. Bummer. Sure I'm protecting myself from the sun, but do I have to shed skin everywhere as well?

Because this was a failure for my face, I've been experimenting with using it on my neck/chest. Nope. My chest is SO DRY and the skin feels thin and...sanpapery. My neck seems to be turning like that as well. I don't know what is irritating me in this but I won't be using it anymore. I should be happy cause it was over $30 at Shoppers, haha.

The best thing about this was it smelled like marzipan/almonds to me. That was nice. :P

on 2/6/2014 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Great product for Rosacea, effective without any irritation.

This is great for those with sensitive and dry skin. This did not irritate my face nor did it dry it out. It always works very well under makeup. It has a slight yellow tint to it which I prefer over white as it can lead to a white cast but this doesn't at all. If you have oily skin this would make a good everyday sunscreen/moisturizer. But if you have dry skin you may want to add a layer of moisturizer. The downsides to this is it is pricey at about $29 (approx. don't recall exact price). Why I rate it low for me, is that although it is labelled non-comodegenic, it broke me out. I looked at the ingredient list again and saw two highly comodegenic ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol and Cetyl Alcohol. Doing my research (as I am acne prone) these two ingredients are highly clogging and should avoid if acne prone. Though everyone's skin is different. This product didn't work for me, unfortunately.

on 11/19/2012 1:41:00 PM

I bought this sunscreen for use on the face. I needed something that would not clog my pores, was non-greasy, would not burn my skin and did not have that horrible sunscreen odour. I was very happy that it met all of the above criteria, however, the downside is that it was very drying for my skin. It is unscented, has a matte finish and does not leave a white cast. I have since switched to Clarins UV Plus HP which meets all of the above criteria but does not dry my skin out. I also prefer the texture and scent of the Clarins one so I will not be switching back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have combination, sensitive, acne prone skin and this sunscreen doesn't cause me to itch or breakout so far. I've been using it for over a year. The consistency is very light and it absorbs through the skin immediately.

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I bought this sunscreen over the summer because my previous one was finished (different brand). It caught my interest since it catered to sensitive, dry and reactive skin.

There was no horrible reaction when I applied it and left my face smooth. It has no greasy feeling and takes only a few seconds to be absorbed. It has a nice matte finish that works well with makeup. No pimples developed on my skin too or was there any bad reactions with the hormonal ones I had.

It is formulated without the harsh parabens, dyes, lanolin and proteins. No perfumey scent. It's light orange in colour but it does not show on skin.

Even though it's SPF 45, I think it's not suited for the bright summer days. Mostly great for slight overcast days. I would only wear it early in the morning, from 11am to 4pm when the sun is stronger, I used a better sunscreen.

Price: $28 CDN
Timed used: 6 months
Would I buy this again? No, because even though there were some positive reactions, I had to get a better sunscreen. As I previously stated I only used it in the early mornings and needed to finish it.