3.7

price range

Reviews

1.0

2 years ago

Sheer Glow? More like Sheer Blow! I don't enjoy leaving 1-Lippie reviews, but I can't help it. This is the worst foundation I have come across in a long time. I have tried to make this recent bottle to work, believe me, I have. I tried applying it with my beauty blender, my blurring foundation brush, a stippling brush, a flat brush, and I even tried using my bare fingers. I tried prepping my skin in different ways, with different moisturizers, different primers, and I tried it without. Every single method just left me with many different shades of ugly. This foundation is drying, patchy, cakey, dull and it settles in my fine lines. It also doesn't cover any imperfections, yet at the same time, is extremely cakey. It's a strange contradiction. And don't even think about using a concealer over or under this, because it will look even worse. I can't for the life of me, understand why NARS would want to market a foundation that is neither sheer, nor luminous. I really wanted it to work, because the shade, "Gobi," is almost a perfect match for my light skin with cool yellow & cool green undertones (yes, people with these undertones exist). I'm wondering if NARS changed the formula somewhere between 2016 and now, because the last bottle I purchased in 2015 was nothing like this dull, cakey mess. Sephora sells this for $47, which will buy you 1 oz/ 30 mL of product. If you want a pump, you will have to purchase that separately. Another turn off. I absolutely do NOT recommend this product. If you want to try it anyway, get a sample at Sephora before you commit to buying it. If you want a gorgeous foundation with a sheer & luminous finish, I suggest purchasing 'MAKE UP FOR EVER HD Invisible Cover Foundation.' It is everything that NARS Sheer Glow claims to be and more, plus it cost $43 at Sephora, which is $4 less!

About reviewer (63 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

1.0

2 years ago

I haven’t written a review on MUA in over 5 years, forgot all my login details and literally just made a new account to vent about this foundation and warn anyone on the fence about purchasing this. I wish I’d read the reviews on this site before wasting around AU$70 on this (excluding the stupid pump which you have to buy separately!) - there is nothing ‘sheer’ or ‘glowy’ about it. It dulls your face, has a cakey, matte finish, and doesn’t look remotely natural unlike other high end foundations. Somehow it manages to be masky AND not actually cover any blemishes at the same time (it somehow dulls the skin without providing any coverage for redness or blemishes). It doesn’t work well with cream concealers either on top or underneath, because it never really sinks into your skin. Similarly, my powder bronzer and blush just looked odd on top of it. - this broke me out, terribly. The first time I thought it was just a coincidence because I had bumpy cystic acne appear on my forehead, chin and cheeks literally on the same day I used it, and I thought, nahhh, if the foundation were causing this it wouldn’t have appeared so quickly. Zits take a while to develop, right? I mean, this was so severe it was like an allergic reaction! Anyway, I stopped using it for a couple of weeks just to be safe, my pimples subsided, skin was looking nice so I thought I’d give it another go so I could give it a fair appraisal. This time I was sure it was the foundation (for the record, I normally get a few zits on my chin during hormonal times of the month but this was like every square inch of my forehead was clustered with bumps within 8 hours of application). After looking at the reviews here I realised how stupid I was not to read up on this before dropping so much $! Lesson learned. From what I’ve read it’s full of oils and silicones which is incredibly disappointing, considering both the price point and the hype it gets from beauty bloggers. - it never really ‘sets’, resulting in this greasy slick feeling, even after using setting powder. it sticks to, or seems to create dry patches throughout the day, and I don’t even really have dry skin. After a few hours it appears patchy and sits in creases, emphasising fine lines. This is the worst part, considering you think you’d get a bit of staying power from NARS. I applied this with a beauty blender the first time and the next time using a real techniques brush and no matter how I applied or tried to set it, it never really harmonised with my skin and other products. I really wish I’d just repurchased my Too Faced Born This Way (which comparatively is a dream, causing no crazy breakouts, blending easily, matching well with skin tone and texture, and actually giving me what I want for that price). Anyway I just wanted anyone considering buying this to determine whether it’s really right for them, or at least try to get a sample before sinking money into this skin wrecker! Just don’t risk testing it before an event. I genuinely have never had such an adverse skin reaction to makeup unless it was a primer full of cheap silicones, which is what this honestly felt like. Just not good for everyday wear, or in my case... at all.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

2 years ago

Sheer? Glow? B***h where? This foundation is a medium to full coverage matte foundation and don't let nobody tell you otherwise! The bottle doesnt come with a pump and therefore you waste a crap ton of product. As for how it looks on the face. Meh, it looks fine. Honestly the foundation is so meh that i have nothing really to say. If it was £10 i might say go for it but for £35 (and no pump) id say dont bother. There are hundreds of other foundations at that price point that actually make your skin look amazing. I.e chanel vitalumire aqua, estee lauder nude water fresh, ysl all hours. Conclusion: dont waste your money on a meh foundation.

About reviewer (15 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

2 years ago

Right away, the packaging sucks. You have to buy the pump separately which is irritating. However, I surprisingly really enjoy this foundation. I was shocked because I have such oily skin. This isn't a foundation that will last ALL DAY for me and keep me matte. This is an 8 hour wear not much more. The main reason i love this is that it can be used to mix into matte foundations. I mix a dollop of this in with the Maybelline SuperStay foundation (UBER matte) and it gives a good glow and helps the Maybelline from caking around my nose (which is common for me). This combo is LIFE! I can wear this in winter by itself and get away with it, but in the summer, NO WAY. I still keep this around because it is great for mixing, the colour is great (I am Gobi) and a little goes a long way! It is surprisingly full coverage, despite the name 'sheer'...

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

2 years ago

EDIT 6/24/18: After using this for about 6 months, I am changing my rating from a 5 to a 3. Reason is that while this foundation is beautiful when first applied, it separates and melts off my face in 3-4 hours even when set with powder. I'm a bit confused because I remember this foundation working so well when I first got it and I'm not sure if it's just a summer issue. In terms of coverage and staying power, ELDD has been my go to this summer and one I can rely on for all occasion. I'll test this foundation out again during winter time to see if things change. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Reviewing this in Light 2 & Light 3 shade for my NC 15-20 skin. Gobi is perfect for my neutral-leaning NC 15-20 because the yellowness helps get rid of the redness on my face. This is a satin-finish medium coverage foundation, so it is not for women who are looking for very sheer or "glowy" type of coverage (do not be deceived by the product name, read the ingredients!). What Nars sheer glow foundation does offer is good coverage for those of us who need it without having to cake on the product-- this product when applied correctly over well-absorbed moisturizer, can look like a hydrated, well-rested skin. I have combination dehydrated skin with oily t-zones and scaly and flaky skin especially around my cheek, forehead and nose area. I also have sensitive skin and suffer from a mild controlled case of eczema and rosacea and have very deep scars and stretched large pores from my years of uv-related intense adult acne in my 20s. My skin, while it no longer breaks out (save for one or two here depending on my monthly hormones), is left with terrible scarring and red pigments. It's difficult to work with and finding coverage that can color correct the red pigment in my skin that applies very thin so that I don't look like I'm wearing a mask while at the same time doesn't accentuate my pores and scars. This foundation is not perfect and my skin certainly does not look "perfect" but it's the best out of what I've tried so far. It looks natural (like my skin but better) but also has enough coverage (medium) to cover the redness on my skin.I still have to apply my Laura Mercier SC concealer on my nose and areas where I have terrible rosacea (without concealer, the redness will peek through around hour 4), but the combination of two products on my skin is a DREAM. I opted not to double layer and just used concealer to spot treat areas on my skin and then set it with powder because I still wanted my made up face to look natural and not yell, "I'M WEARING A MASK!!!" and this foundation lasted 8+ hours on my face without budging. It did seem to fade a little towards the end of the evening, but not in the ugly crackly way, but in a "glow-y" type of way that was still very pretty. Friends commented on my skin looking hydrated and well-rested and said that it's the best they've seen my skin look with makeup on because foundation usually ends up looking very cake-y on me. This may not be for everyone, but I've found my holy grail. A little less than a pump is enough for my entire face, so I imagine this will last me a while. Sucks that it doesn't come with a pump despite its price point, but I am in love with the formula, so i don't have a problem buying a pump one time since I'll be repurchasing this foundation once I'm done.

About reviewer (51 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlack

2 years ago

The color "Punjab" is the most perfect foundation match for my skin that I have ever found!! It's not sheer at all, for me this is full coverage! You only need the smallest amount to cover the entire face. I found that it cakes up really easily through out the day even though it blends so beautifully into the skin in the beginning. Which is why I deducted one lippie. What i like to do now is mix a drop of any beauty oil with the tiniest amount of foundation and I can achieve a nice sheer coverage which is what I prefer. Its a pain to get off the skin so I reserve this foundation for special occasions. I would love to know shade dupes of "Punjab" of a good drugstore foundation if anyone knows.

About reviewer (39 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Wavy, Medium

2 years ago

First of all, this foundation does not contain a pump which is annoying. the formula is rather on the runny side but the foundation goes on smoothly, eventually drying down to a satin (almost matte) finish, which surprised me - I expected it to be a lot more dewy and with less coverage. however, this is not necessarily a bad thing, i really enjoyed how it looked on my skin: imperfections were covered but my skin did not look cakey or unnatural in any way. however, no matter what powder i used, no matter what setting spray, no matter what primer - it just does not seem to last on my skin. my skin looks oily and sweaty after a few hours. it's impossible to wear this on an everyday basis. i really wish there was a way to maintain the flawless finish it gives off right after application.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

from

2 years ago

Great colors, looks lovely at first. But it disappeared from my skin after few hours. Coverage was okay. But I would rather just wear a tinted moisturized and a concealer.

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinOther, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesHazel

2 years ago

This is a beautiful medium foundation. I use with a brush and it goes on perfectly. I use a light Nars powder and it looks lovely. It doesn’t cover my scars as much as I’d like and it’s not as longwear as i would like without touch up. 8 hours max. Still one of my favourites when my skin is a bit less pimply, I don’t need longwear and medium is fine. Ps this is incorrectly named. It is not sheer or glowy. Also no pump at this price is ridiculous. I had to buy one then the lid doesn’t fit. Update I keep going back to this when I’m fed up of the more matte foundations that are full coverage. It’s not dewy but it definitely does give your skin a healthy glow. Still annoyed by the colour range and the tones choice at each depth (or lack of)

About reviewer (28 reviews)

2 years ago

This is another go to foundation in my makeup artist kit. It glides on and looks flawless, the finish is quite heavy so I use it for tv presenters mostly. HOWEVER it's not great for aging skin as it will sit in those lines! So close to being perfect! For an everyday foundation on myself I don't really rate it but only because it's too heavy and likes to sit in my pores : ( Buy it if: you have young skin and need heavy coverage Don't buy it: if you're 30 plus lol!

About reviewer (5 reviews)

HairBrunette