NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene, Glycol, Glycerine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinal Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Dis-Butydimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan, Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methylhdantoin-2-Imide, Phenoxyenthanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polusilocone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa, Glycuosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocpherol, [ /- (May Contain): CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)].

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love NARS. I think the brand is typically very high quality, which is why I was excited to try this foundation. I have had oily skin for most of my life but as I've gotten older, it's changed to a more combination, sometimes even dry texture. I have tried Mac Prolong Wear (don't recommend it), Urban Decay Naked Skin (good for a light to medium coverage), the Make Up For Ever stick foundation (amazing!) but I wanted something with a bit of a glowy finish so I went for the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in the second lightest shade. I was expecting a medium to full coverage with a smooth consistency and a satin glow finish. (side note; I love their creamy radiant concealer so that's why I was excited to try their foundation).

I was confused.....this foundation doesn't set! I expected the end result to be "glowy" but what it ACTUALLY was is just pure sticky. It makes my face feel like I am sweating. It is more of a sheer coverage as well, applied with both beauty blender and a buffing brush, I tried both. It also emphasized the pore on my face, and slides around (and off my nose) even when I used a good primer and setting powder and spray.

The only reason I'm giving two stars is because they have a good shade selection and technically, the "shade" itself is gorgeous.

Also it doesn't have a pump. Save your $43 and get something else.

First off, I have fair Asian (Chinese) combination, sensitive and acne-prone skin, so I tend to have an oily T-zone and sometimes dry patches on my cheeks. I've been using MAC Studio Fix Fluid foundation for the last 5-7 years or so, but as I'm starting to approach 30, it seems like the changes in my skin has made the MAC SFF not sit as well as it used to on my skin, so I started looking for a new foundation.

After extensive blog-reading and samples testing, I decided to try the NARS Sheer Glow and the NARS All Day Luminous foundations because I've been using it's eyeshadow primer for a while and absolutely love it. I've been using MAC SFF in NC20 all this time but sometimes felt that it was a teeny bit darker than my skin tone as the SFF has a tendency to oxidise and change colour ever so slightly.

After testing a few shades, the Fiji shade in both the Sheer Glow and All Day Luminous matched me perfectly (better than NC20).

In terms of texture, Sheer Glow is more creamy while All Day Luminous is like water. Even though All Day Luminous is supposed to have fuller coverage than Sheer Glow, for me they were about the same in terms of evening out skin tone and covering blemishes / old acne marks. I used both over the NARS Pore Refining Primer, and while All Day Luminous dried really quickly and clung to several dry patches, Sheer Glow gave the most amazingly flawless satiny finish!

In terms of staying power, I needed blotting paper at around the 6 hour mark for both foundations (as I normally do with MAC). All Day Luminous is marketed as having a 16 hour wear, but that wasn't the case for me. Neither foundations oxidised in colour and held longer than MAC SFF (so that's a definite win over MAC SFF) but the All Day Luminous finish after 12 hours wasn't exactly pretty mainly because it emphasised dry patches. Sheer Glow really surprised me in that it still wore really well after 12 hours, provided I used blotting paper every 5-6 hours.

All in all, even though Sheer Glow isn't marketed for oily skin, I felt that it wore really well on mine, and while All Day Luminous is marketed for oily skin, it was alright but didn't live up to its hype. I would definitely recommend Sheer Glow over All Day Luminous.

To Read all 1704 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/3/2016 4:22:00 AM

This is not bad foundation but little overratted. For so much money we expect much much more. This foundation is not for everybody, some of us will hate it some love it.
Nor for dry and fat skin. For normal and mixed skin can be ok. First 4 hours super nice natural look. With every minute worse and worse.Nars is going away in some places.
After 5 hours you can have drama on your face :(
More datails:
-many many colours(natural ones-this is great)
-aplication very easy , you can work with Nars longer than with others
-emphasizes wrinkles!!
-goes into the pores and looks unsightly
-after 3 hours it is very visible on the skin-in wrong way
-can clog the skin causing pimples
I will not recommend it -for so much money we expect much more!

Like everyone I have caved to the hype on this, even if I'm a little late to the party. I got mine in Space NK. I find I am between Medium 1 Punjab and medium 3 Stromboli! (Medium 2 has a touch too much pink for me) I am the fair side of medium in winter with olive warm undertones which I find makes finding a shade match a complete mare, however nars seem to cater really well for yellow tones from the fair to the deep. As its winter I opted for Punjab in the end, it's easy to warm it up with a touch of bronzer but I will buy either Barcelona or Stromboli as well if I still love this in a few weeks. My skin is on the dry side and I only get a little bit of oil round my nose really.

My initial thoughts are that I LOVE IT!
I moisturise and them prime lightly. They recommend applying with fingers which feels weird these days but I've followed their instructions and it is a beautiful finish. Natural (not matte and not dewy). Covers perfectly for me (I have reasonably clear skin so I'm looking for it to even out and cover mild redness or blemishes). I set this very lightly with just a touch of powder as I'm on the dry side and I find this enough. It's not cakey, my skin looks super healthy and I think that's what they really mean by the words sheer glow. You just look well. There is no shimmer or dewyness. I like that you can wear it sheer and light or build to medium full coverage. It's a runny texture but packed with pigment! So it goes further than you think it will. Best to work in light layers and I find it builds really well. I find this wears well all day. I might powder my nose if I can no bothered half way through the day but it's not essential. I can build this product up to full on coverage for night time and it looks fantastic!

I also got the nars creamer concealer in the shade honey. Now that shade is quite peachy/salmon toned and it covers the under eye like a total dream! With this shade (Punjab) if you want a concealer more for the rest of the face go with the shade custard. For me though I find I can build the foundation to cover any mild blemish or mark.

I think with this product you need to start with a nice smooth surface. So if you keep your skin exfoliated and moisturised this is a winner! Not sure how it would work for oily skin, I think you'd need a really good primer.

on 9/22/2016 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this after it being recommended by a friend. I have combo-oily skin, if your anything like me with the same skin type i would advise you to stay away! This product broke me out with cystic acne that I have never had! This is probably due to the excessive oil, as it's rich in oil which clogged up my skin and broke me out real bad. Not ideal for skin types like mine! Waste of money

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have VERY yellow toned skin, Imve tried MACs NC shades, and found the only foundation that worked was Mac face and body in the C shades (C3), but gave me little to no coverage! Thats great for days i want to go without much make up but i needed something more reliable. I have dry/combination skin, and THIS FOUNDATION IS GREAT!!!! I used the shade Stromboli (I'm NC30, C3) which is very yellow undertoned, and I can't believe i've finally found a foundation that matches me! The finish is very natural, neither matte (unless powdered) nor TOO glowy/shiny. It lasts all day, and i have the kind of skin that loves to swallow up any little bit of make up! The ONLY gripe about this product is: Its £30, and the packaging. NO PUMP! Unless you purchase one, thats another £5! But after years of searching for the perfect foundation (since i was a teen, im now 21, hah!!), i'm happy to pay that price.

on 9/21/2016 7:42:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Let me preface this my saying that I got it around 10€ cheaper from an online shop (regular price ~40€) after having lusted after it for well over two years. Nars isn't available where I live, so it was more of an infatuation with something I couldn't easily get, but when I got the chance I immediately ordered it in Siberia after much googling and squinting at comparison swatches. I was lucky enough that Light 1 is a good-enough match to my skin tone (I've used MAC Waterweight in NC20 and F&B in C1 before, and I believe I would've been better off with Gobi, but that shade wasn't available), but I highly recommend getting swatched in person if you can, as the shade selection is quite broad, and picking one might prove difficult.

I have combo-oily skin with a tendency to spots and dehydration, but I've practically eliminated both by adopting a gold standard routine (double-cleansing, chemical exfoliation, antioxidants, sunscreen). When I do get spots it's mostly nasty CCs that even my BHA won't get rid of completely, so I'm cautious about using clogging products. Users that reported breakouts from this foundation univocally said they were cystic, which I really only get from hormones, so I figured it would be fine.

First things first - the packaging. A lot of people have said this, I'm just repeating it: There. Is. No. Pump. One user commented that François Nars intended this foundation to be used with fingers, and that leaving out the pump would encourage people to apply it "properly". Now, I don't like people who tell other people what to do - ESPECIALLY when it comes to body performance, ESPECIALLY in terms of makeup (to which, famously, there are no rules); if I want to apply this with a sponge or a brush then I fucking will, and nobody is going to command me otherwise, be it celebrity makeup artist or not. Not providing at least a separate pump that you can, but don't have to, install with a 40€ foundation is fucking rip-off to me.
Having said that, I have to admit that I do like the bottle; it reminds me of high end brands' nail polish bottles. I usually keep the cap off, the velvety matte material is infamously quick to pick up fingerprints.

Upon first application, the product was streaky at first but settled to a nice skin-like finish. Most people get the name wrong - "Sheer Glow" refers to the low-level glow of the finish, not sheer coverage with lots of dewiness. I have combo-dry skin with a bit of oiliness, and, for me, the coverage wasn't dewy at all; it even bordered on matte. I found it to be very unforgiving on the few little patches of dead skin that I have, but it wouldn't last very long on my oily bits, either. It seems that the group of people who can use this with great success is very narrow.

Most people claim this to be medium-to-full coverage, but I'd say it's more like light-to-medium, and hard to build; I don't know how much I'd have to apply to achieve full coverage. As I said, Siberia is a tiny bit too light for me (there are only two foundations in the world that I have found to be too light so far), but that's certainly better than if it were a tiny bit too dark; I can make it work with one very light layer.

One of this foundation's traits (and the reason why it's used by wedding makeup artists so often) is that it looks very realistic and skin-identical, and even photographs that way. I'm only using it to even out the tiniest bit of discolouration that's left on my cheeks, and underneath my eyes, as I find that foundation covers dark circles more realistic than concealer. Without my usual base of vitamin C serum, hyaluronic acid serum, aloe-based moisturiser, and sunscreen, it would last the whole day without powder, but as I never wear it on naked skin (there's always at least sunscreen), it's more like 4h, with powder, tops. (Nota bene: I only use powder only where I don't want to get shiny, which is the center of the face and below the cheekbones.)

Summa summarum: It's really hard to make this foundation work - however, once you make it work, it does so in a beautiful, skin-like manner (having said that, I feel that a foundation this expensive shouldn't require so much effort). A sponge might be the best way to apply this, as it can end up streaky with fingers (ironically, that's how Nars wants you to apply it; that's why they didn't include a pump), but spreading it with fingers and then polishing it with something like the famous Zoeva 101 Silk Finish also results in a nice finish. All in all good, but not what I had expected for 40€ and all the hype.

This is the most beautiful foundation i've ever tried. The coverage is beyond amazing for my acne prone skin. I kind of surprised, totally not sheer at all. The only downside is my skin get oily only after a few hours of wearing it especially on my t-zone. Overall i like it very much.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I've been testing this out for a week using a generous sample from Sephora. Because we are at the very tail end of Summer, I have what is for me a savage tan. I am NC15. With my current tan, Deauville is a perfect match. In the depths of a Seattle winter, I will be closer to N10 and I can already tell that Gobi will be close to perfect though it's a smidge too neutral/cool for my undertone. There are many things to love about this foundation. However as many other reviewers have noted, on me this product is neither "Sheer" nor "Glow"y so the name is a bit confounding. If you have your heart set on a sheer foundation with a luminous glow, you may want to look elsewhere. On me this has a velvet matte finish and the coverage level is a solid, buildable medium. I use a primer with this (Laura Mercier Foundation Primer) and have applied with a Beauty Blender sponge and with my Artis 8 oval brush (reviewed separately). Both result in a nice application, though I prefer the Artis. I do need a separate concealer to cover rosacea redness and PIH spots. With primer and a bit of Nars pressed finishing powder, this lasts all day but looks a bit splodgy in the T zone after 11 hours. I remove this easily with my cream cleanser (REN Evercalm) and a muslin washcloth or Shhiseido cotton pad. I have extremely sensitive acne-prone rosacean skin that loathes everything but this foundation has not caused any irritation, flares or breakouts. Overall I like this a lot but am not over the moon because I was hoping it would be sheer and slightly luminous. The finish is just too flat for me and because of that it isn't HG material. Being in my mid-40s with dull/dry skin, I need my foundation to offer some dimension and youthfulness. I do like this though, enough to buy a full size once I can determine my correct shade.

on 9/2/2016 7:36:00 AM

Colour doesn't look dewy nor natural compared to what many Korean ones do.