Queen by Queen Latifah

Queen by Queen Latifah

4.1

I blindly ordered both Queen and Queen of Hearts together. I tried Queen the first day and did not particularly like the top notes. The bergamot and mandarin orange really assaulted my nose and gave me a slight headache. I really thought I would not be able to wear this parfum again. The second day I wore Queen of Hearts, and I was very taken with it's incense and white florals. The third day I gave Queen a second try, and I am so glad I did because the top notes did not bother me at all the second time. I discovered that Queen is a very nice fragrance...a sweet and sexy fragrance. Queen is bold, BOOZY, warm, and very inviting, and it is not super synthetic as are so many other "celebrity" fragrances such as Jessica Simpson Fancy or even high end fragrances such as La Vie Est Belle, both of which are very synthetic to my nose. Queen puts fragrances such as these to shame in my opinion.

As other reviewers have said, Queen has a pretty strong cognac note, but it is very well complimented by the jasmine, vanilla, and sandalwood notes. The heart notes and base notes are quite nice. I could pick out the jasmine and the cognac in the heart notes. I cannot detect any patchouli, incense or rose alone in this parfum, but I think this means that Queen is very well blended. The deep dry down is sweet, warm, and comforting, and, well, yummy smelling. Longevity is much better than expected given four good sprays.

Now, for all of Queen's wonderful aspects, I would not say it is an outstanding fragrance that is destined to become a great classic. However, it does what it promises to do, and it does it quite well for a very fair price, thank you. Is it worth adding it to your collection? Absolutely!!

Overall, I really like Queen, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who likes a sweet, gourmand, oriental type scent. I think Queen is particularly nice for the Autumn and Winter seasons. It has a sort of "festive" and "happy" quality to it that reminds me of the winter holidays. Also, I think it would be a very romantic fragrance to wear whilst curled up with one's lover in front of the fireplace on a cold, crisp evening. Queen can still be worn quite easily during Spring and Summer, too, if one will be indoors most of the time. Heaven bless climate controlled environments!

Now, as regards longevity, Queen, like Queen of Hearts, becomes a skin scent on me after 3.5 to 4 hours and has to be reapplied, but I am not bothered by this fact given the price point. If I apply two sprays to each arm and two sprays between the girls, I get excellent longevity. Applied at night after I bathe, I can still smell it on myself in the morning whence I awaken.

I ordered back up bottles of both Queen Latifah fragrances, and that really surprised me as I never expected to like either one very much, much less to like them enough to order back up bottles! Steve Demercado has done a brilliant job with both of these parfums. If you find them at TJMaxx, Marshall's, or on-line at scentedmonkey.com, etc., grab them! You will not regret it, especially once the cold weather sets in.

The more I wear Queen the more I love it! It is so boozy, so gourmand, so warm, so sweet, and so delicious! I am so glad I bought both Queen and Queen of Hearts. : )

Fragrance: 7/10

Projection and sillage in the first hour 10/10.

Projectin and sillage after the second hour 8/10.

Longevity: 8/10

on 2/4/2016 9:50:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

A nice bargain if you like boozy vanilla. I paid $10 at Ross, didn't expect much but was amazed I really liked it. Smells more unique to me than most mainstream vanilla department store scents. I get more compliments on this from strangers than anything else I've worn recently. I sometimes layer this over my CJ scents Vanilla Autumn Nights. The bottle is also very pretty.

To Read all 47 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/22/2015 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Didn't know if I would like this one or not as it is discontinued in the stores and could not test first, but the ingredients sounded great. I got it at a low price from Ross so figured so what if I do not like it. Well, much to my surprise, I do like it, very much! This fragrance is well made, mixed, whatever you call you call it. It smells great for a long time too. I have my doubts is Miss Latifah wears this one very often but if she does, she must smell beautiful. The notes are listed with a sparkling, sumptuous golden accord, like aged Tequila, citrus notes of Italian Bergamot and Mediterranean Mandarin, rare Baie Rose, Jasmine Noir, Cognac, Moroccan Coriander is the heart of the fragrance. The base note being Indonesian Patchouli and precious Sandalwood enhance the Vanilla and Tonka Absolute. The fragrance completes itself with Egyptian Incense and Musk. I don't drink so I am not too sure what aged Tequila smells like ;-), nor cognac. I can smell the rose, jasmine, incense, and the patchouli right away. I was not so sure about the fragrance having patchouli because it can be very over powering to the rest of the notes, but this is blended lightly and brings just the right amount of 'ole school into the mix. I said yes to buy it again but I do know this has been discontinued. I have a large bottle so I think I will not have to rebuy this one for a long time. I am glad I took a chance on this fragrance. It smells very expensive to me and is well worth adding to my collection.

on 3/21/2015 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Hate it!!! That is all!!

on 3/16/2015 7:41:00 AM

I was regretting spraying this on myself at first, because of the strong initial scent! The top notes of this perfume remind me of Liz Claiborne's Mambo...egh!! Fruity but in a very strange way....the base notes aren't bad, although you do have to wait at least an hour to enjoy them....there are definitely parts of this fragrance that have me thinking "Angel" (which I do like in small doses--but on myself to smell constantly Angel gives me a migraine). Overall, I would not re-purchase this fragrance but the base notes are definitely pretty and tolerable, just nothing I want to wait for past the initial weird fruit/spice smell. Not terrible, but not a keeper for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My girlfriend bought me this for Valentine's Day, so I admittedly wear it to please her more than for myself. The first sniff while it's still in the air is exactly like Ciara, but it quickly dries down into a slightly incense-y vanilla with a strong fresh/clean note. I've noticed that on some people, it smells almost exactly like BBW's new Wild Madagascar Vanilla. On me, it only seems to last about 5 hours, which is kinda disappointing considering all the reviews here that mention good longevity. Most fragrances that are even a little sweet will go flat-out nauseatingly saccharine on my skin, but Queen didn't, which impressed me - it gets sweeter as it dries down, but it's never too much. I also liked the bottle - it's very modern and stylized, sexy and a little cute all at once.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Bought this sight unsniffed just based on reviews because it was a factory sealed 100 mL bottle discounted to $10 CAD at Rexall. I didn't really expect it to smell like cognac -and it doesn't. It's the exact vanilla I was looking for. Creamy, spicy, a little smoky with a touch of freshness from the patchouli. When I first spritz it on I smell fresh musk (patchouli) and a dark roast coffee like espresso note. It then continues to evolves beautifully on my skin and hair. Smells far more expensive and not at all like a perfume-mill celebriscent. I love the heavy red glass geometric bottle. I would pay full price for it but, scoring it for $10 makes it even better. Was tempted to go back for a second bottle. Didn't because I'm trying to curb that habit. :) If I ran out, I would definitely repurchase if it is still available.

on 8/28/2014 3:22:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Vanilla; cognac; patchouli & incense: I appreciate all four of these notes as they present themselves in Queen Latifah Queen. The sweet, foody vanilla; boozy cognac; and incense spices lend to it a cozy, gourmand, holiday aroma -- sort of like a rich, winter season dessert or eggnog.

Even with liberal spritzing, however, Queen doesn't lasting very long on me -- either that, or I'm simply suffering from olfactory fatigue after a short span of time.

It is very inexpensive though, so having to frequently re-apply is no problem where cost is a concern.

on 7/27/2014 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this after reading positive things about it on the Fragrance Board. I got a 1.7 oz bottle for under 8 bucks so I just couldn't resist since I love vanilla fragrances. It didn't disappoint and it's one of my new favorites! This is a creamy, spicy vanilla that is so easy to wear and I can see it working for almost any occasion. A real gem!!

on 4/16/2014 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I love this stuff! I got it for Christmas and laughed a little bit. Then I tried it and it smells so good on me. Its like spice candy. I have to say I was a pleasantly surprise.

Popular Fragrances